Black Culture Discussion Thread

Hhhnnngggg...indeed. :smh:

Looking at that poster's profile....*Big Boi voice*I aint eem gotta say the mf'in rest. *Big Boi voice*

I'm not referring his employment. I referring to his 15 minutes of Black Excellence wearing locs in his headshot. That dialog is getting killed.

Ya’ll still be caught up with this? I’ve had dreads and long hair my whole life. I remember I had a job offer in Atlanta at the Mandarin Oriental hotel. I got the job but, the lady said there’s a catch.

I had to cut my hair and shave my beard. I politely never returned again. I wore a huge ponytail at another job for years and dared them white people to say something.

Y’all give these coke head, alcoholic executives and CEOs to much power. Imagine letting fortunes 500 companies, (the majority in which) were founded by men who made money from slavery and lynched people, be the purveyors of morality. It’s always baffled me how people allow it.

Imagine someone at BMW Or Mercedes being concerned about my dreads. I’d immediately be like “well, you guys sure were a big part of the Nazi regime”. Black folks need to stop switching up for white people. They do the SAME stuff that they criticize us for doing.

How’s a headshot with dreads some type of victory? Y’all need more self confidence

Ya’ll still be caught up with this? I’ve had dreads and long hair my whole life. I remember I had a job offer in Atlanta at the Mandarin Oriental hotel. I got the job but, the lady said there’s a catch.

I had to cut my hair and shave my beard. I politely never returned again. I wore a huge ponytail at another job for years and dared them white people to say something.

Y’all give these coke head, alcoholic executives and CEOs to much power. Imagine letting fortunes 500 companies, (the majority in which) were founded by men who made money from slavery and lynched people, be the purveyors of morality. It’s always baffled me how people allow it.

Imagine someone at BMW Or Mercedes being concerned about my dreads. I’d immediately be like “well, you guys sure were a big part of the Nazi regime”. Black folks need to stop switching up for white people. They do the SAME stuff that they criticize us for doing.

How’s a headshot with dreads some type of victory? Y’all need more self confidence
Bro, you answered your own question before you even asked it. You got asked to cut you hair to work at a hotel, he got on to US government agency without said request. THAT's the victory.

Bro, you answered your own question before you even asked it. You got asked to cut you hair to work at a hotel, he got on to US government agency without said request. THAT's the victory.

The point I’m making is, them telling me to cut my hair had NO bearings on my earning potential or made me feel less than. Black folks need to stop caring and catering to the ideologies of these people, who’ve always been jealous of us anyway.

We are already a VICTORIOUS people. That’s my point. We don’t need some acknowledgment from those people.

Feeling like it was “victory” means they already had power over you…..

Those big wigs will tell you to cut your hair, but meanwhile their at home snorting
lines of cocaine or living in the bottle. Wealthy people/business owners do way worse than the civilian populations that they try and patronize. Their kids are just as bad. Don’t care about any victories from those unsavory people.

I’ve lived and witnessed it. Being in Florida, dreaded up, no tattoos… you know how many times white Frat boys or white dudes in positions of power have asked me do I have cocaine to sell them or prostitutes? :lol: :lol:

Them dudes are pieces of s***

Last edited:

It aint that deep. He could've been the first black chess master of his city for all I care. I'm highlighting how any positive achievement/acknowledgement on social media can be quickly killed by your past actions. And this is a recent case of that.

Everyone has skeletons and past transgressions. Especially when you reach advanced ages.

It still doesn’t discredit peoples accomplishments. Majority need to stop worrying about people’s personal lives. But that’s the age old American/western civilization way of thinking.

Propping people up without a full scope of who they are a person. But I’m type of person who knows how to separate things

If this is true (who knows these days, especially from an "anonymous" source on social media)...that "teacher" should be terminated.

Writing college recommendation letters "for black girls only" is racist and sexist.

Imagine a white male teacher being bold enough to say he only writes college recommendation letters for white male students.

Last edited:
:smh:

We really gonna do the "what if there was a white history month?!?! OMG!" thing? 101 convo. Hell, it might be intro to 101.

In 2001, Hampton University’s School of Business banned students from wearing dreadlocks or cornrows in their program, on behalf of the college’s past dean, Sid Credle. This ban is still in effect.

According to the Huffington Post, “Hampton University’s Cornrows And Dreadlock Ban: Is It Right?” by Julee Wilson, Credle believed that those hairstyles would prevent students from being prime candidates in securing a job.

“All we’re trying to do is make sure our students get into the job,” Credle told ABC TV. “What they do after that, that’s you know, their business.”

Although the ban only extended to students in the school’s five-year MBA program, there was heavy opposition to this decision from the university’s students.

Eleven years later, in 2012, this controversial ban still caused room for discussion on whether its regulations truly helped students land jobs in the corporate world.

According to Carrieheals’ “Hampton University Business School dean stands by ban on dreadlocks, cornrows,” Hampton spokeswoman Naima Ford commented that the school was doing its best to model their students for the future.

“We model these students after the top African-Americans in the business world,” said Ford.

Differing from its historical black university counterpart, Florida A&M’s School of Business and Industry makes sure to teach its students on how to look presentable in all aspects — dreadlocks and all.

SBI Dean Shawnta Friday-Stroud is aware of the weight natural black hairstyles hold in a business setting and understands that students who carry themselves with professionalism can successfully land jobs whether they sport dreadlocks or not.

I used to work at the Six Flags in Maryland back in high school. They had a strict hair code. For guys you could barely have a goatee, sideburns couldn't go past your ear canal, hair couldn't be longer than 1 inch.

Folks with cornrows or braids had to tuck their hair in their collar or wear a hat over them. They banned locs when Wayne had his C1/C2 run and everyone was getting them.

That **** was crazy. I think they laxed later on, but I haven't been to that park since like 2007

In 2001, Hampton University’s School of Business banned students from wearing dreadlocks or cornrows in their program, on behalf of the college’s past dean, Sid Credle. This ban is still in effect.

According to the Huffington Post, “Hampton University’s Cornrows And Dreadlock Ban: Is It Right?” by Julee Wilson, Credle believed that those hairstyles would prevent students from being prime candidates in securing a job.

“All we’re trying to do is make sure our students get into the job,” Credle told ABC TV. “What they do after that, that’s you know, their business.”

Although the ban only extended to students in the school’s five-year MBA program, there was heavy opposition to this decision from the university’s students.

Eleven years later, in 2012, this controversial ban still caused room for discussion on whether its regulations truly helped students land jobs in the corporate world.

According to Carrieheals’ “Hampton University Business School dean stands by ban on dreadlocks, cornrows,” Hampton spokeswoman Naima Ford commented that the school was doing its best to model their students for the future.

“We model these students after the top African-Americans in the business world,” said Ford.

Differing from its historical black university counterpart, Florida A&M’s School of Business and Industry makes sure to teach its students on how to look presentable in all aspects — dreadlocks and all.

SBI Dean Shawnta Friday-Stroud is aware of the weight natural black hairstyles hold in a business setting and understands that students who carry themselves with professionalism can successfully land jobs whether they sport dreadlocks or not.

Meanwhile they got SCAMMERS on staff…

And they be worried about hair but frats and sororities can haze people… those same alumni/ “professionals” be at brunches and event’s getting pissy drunk

I used to work at the Six Flags in Maryland back in high school. They had a strict hair code. For guys you could barely have a goatee, sideburns couldn't go past your ear canal, hair couldn't be longer than 1 inch.

Folks with cornrows or braids had to tuck their hair in their collar or wear a hat over them. They banned locs when Wayne had his C1/C2 run and everyone was getting them.

That **** was crazy. I think they laxed later on, but I haven't been to that park since like 2007

Reminds me of the NY Yankees “no facial” hair policy. Dudes be out there looking crazy in pinstripes

We don’t need some acknowledgment from those people.
It's not about acknowledgement. It's about not having to wear a uniform beyond the attire that you and your other coworkers are supposed to wear.

The proportion of bachelor’s degrees in science awarded to Black graduates remained flat at about 9 percent from 2001 to 2016, according to the most recent available figures from the National Science Foundation; in engineering, it declined from 5 percent to 4 percent; and in math, it dropped from 7 percent to 4 percent.

More recent figures released in April by the Pew Research Center show that, in 2018, Black students earned 7 percent of STEM bachelor’s degrees.

It's not a lot of us in engineering, and for many Black students, the challenges to Black identity starts in college (stereotypes about our capacity to understand/apply scientific concepts) and extend to HR departments (stereotypes about dreadlocks and people who wear them). The expectation that for Black students, working in STEM comes with challenges beyond mastering a craft they're interested in pushes many of them away from these fields and towards professions that appear more accepting of their culture.

College-going trends that have occurred during the pandemic threaten to lower these proportions even further. Total Black undergraduate enrollment at universities and colleges is down by more than 7 percent this semester from where it was last spring, the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center reports.

This decline in the number of prospective of Black scientists, engineers and mathematicians is occurring even as demand increases. Employment in STEM fields is projected to grow twice as fast in the next decade as for all occupations, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. STEM jobs also offer comparatively higher salaries and benefits.

Black people hold 7 percent of jobs in these areas requiring bachelor’s degrees, the Pew Research Center reports. That’s about half their proportion of the population.

And if you think we shouldn't worry about this:
Their absence could have consequences that are not just economic. Workforce diversity ensures that products will work equally well for everyone, said Virginia Booth Womack, director of the Minority Engineering Program at Purdue.

Products carry the biases of those who make them, and if we're not part of the design process or in the labs testing and validating products, our needs and demands will not be reflected in the products available on the market.

Either at the table or on the table with this politics stuff. The South remains a danger to all.

Hopefully they get hemmed up with Lawsuits and this falls, though that could take years if at all possible

Hampton always been on some shuck and jive ****. Before I even considered applying there they sent me a whole packet about curfews, dress codes, what they'll kick you out for, etc. they made that **** sound like a damn boarding school :lol:

Back
Top Bottom