Blacks should get reparations for everything that occured between 1930-90s

Since we clearly wont be getting any reparations for slavery I believe blacks/african americans should petition for some reparations for everything up until 90s. Now im not talking about every **@*! getting a couple stacks or something foolishness just sizable investment into the black community for what "the powers that be"(government) allowed to happen to black culture and leaders in this time span. I am NOT asking for a check in the name of every negro, I am talking in forms of programs that would be to the measure of what the Panthers were trying to accomplish with their survival programs.

Things that happened in this time span that I hope the US government accountable for that was detrimental to the well-being of blacks in the United States:

Crack Cocaine
The assassination of MLK
The assassination of Malcolm X
The brainwashing of Elijah Muhammad
The demise of the Black Panther Party (probably the biggest atrocity when it comes to impact on black community)
The killing of Black Panther members
Emmit Till-esque crimes around the South and lynchings
JFK assassination
The rise of the Klan
and the lists goes on...

Anyone disagree? agree? comments?

You got Liberia and Haiti, what else do you want?

...oh wait...
30t6p3b.gif

its a tradition that I'm not so sure about. I don't care what other countries have done for other folks.

U.S. definitely should have a lot more acknowledgement of the evils its committed

correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I heard the U.S. didn't even apologize for slavery up until a few yours ago

What about every other maligned group? Muslims should get reparations for the last 10 years of fear-mongering. Don't forget about Executive Order 9066. Chinese Exclusion Act. But you don't really care.

I get your point OP, but bruh u already know NT aint the place for this....
tired.gif

Personally can't take sides completely with either perspective ( i'm black if it matters)

Posting for later to see how large of an %+#@@!@ the fam rips him..

After that start paying people for having a history of their family members coming out of a vagina, since there were so many injustices for women too.
Oh wait...

Nah we shouldn't..

Just live your life OP and stop worrying about the @+%% that happened in the past. Everyone is well aware of the @+%% we wen't through as a people but it's 2012 (basically) we gotta move on from that
ohwell.gif

As an African American all i can do is shake my head...

Question to you OP! What about Native Americans?  

It seems like a difficult idea to put into practice.
For example, California was always a free state. Should white California have to pay the same level of reparations as slave states, such as Texas and South Carolina? What about New York, where at one time it was legal to have slaves, but was a free state by the time of the Civil War?
What about immigrants? Should recent immigrants from Ethiopia or Somalia get reparations merely because of their skin color? Should recent immigrants from Poland or the Czech Republic have to pay reparations merely because they are white?
How about white Southerners who were too poor to own slaves? Should they pay the same reparations as wealthy Southerners who owned hundreds of slaves?
Or how about family growth since the Civil War? If one slave from 1865 has 1000 living descendants and another slave only has 50 living descendants, are the members of the family of 1000 people entitled to the same dollar value as the family of 50 even though both are getting reparations for a single ancestor's labor?
Because of the sheer number of individuals who would directly receive reparations, and for the sake of social responsibility, the best kind of repayment for the Trans-Atlantic slave trade would be a massive overhaul of community infrastructure at every level...education, housing and social programs geared specifically towards Blacks and perhaps anyone else lower than average on the social totem pole. Leveling the playing field and eliminating the poverty trap would do wonders to those communities. The biggest obstacle is just the practicality.

Back
Top Bottom