Boardwalk Empire Season 5 Thread - Series Finale - Eldorado

As we approach the end of this booleggin'-prohibition journey, I thought it would be interesting for us to see who you think will make it out alive? Given this season's fast-paced progression and deaths of vital characters til last night's penultimate episode, what are your predictions on who (characters not majorly based on historical accuracy) walks out? Here's mine:

Nucky - Alive
Eli - Dead
Narcisse - Dead
Gillian - Dead
"Tommy" - Dead
Will - Alive
Margaret - Alive

Luciano, Meyer, Bugsy, Capone, Torrio - That's a given.

Last edited:
Didn't Mickey Duffy die historically in 1931?
Yeah, but he was gunned down under different circumstances.
While staying at the Ambassador Hotel in Atlantic City, Duffy was shot to death by unknown assailants on August 31, 1931. Although the case remained unsolved, it was suspected by authorities at the time that the alleged assailants may have been associates who had been disgruntled with Duffy and had conspired to seize control of Duffy's bootlegging operations.

^^

I think Nuck dies.

I don't think that dialogue about what death feels like was by coincidence.

My predictions:

Eli, suicide.
Nucky, killed.
Margaret, rich widow.
Narcisse, forced to be a "boy" until old age (no longer a king).
William, corrupt politician, just like his uncle.
Gillian, crazy and operated on.
Tommy, a gangster.

Last edited:
Nucky, Margaret, Gillian all live.

All other fictional characters left aint worth **** so they can die or just not be mentioned again. Eli and Narcisse need to die though or maybe William finds away to get both in prison to elevate his career.

I didn't see the preview for next week but I wouldn't even be mad if we didn't see Joe Harper in the finale and it was just revealed fans hyped up who this kid was more than anything :lol: I mean this final season really didn't need some ongoing mystery of is this Jimmy's son or not.

One episode left and it looks our man Arnold Rothstein was written off the show; never got a proper sendoff. HBO :smh:

Man I wont even care if Nucky lives or not if they show him offering up Gillian to the Commodore :smh:

Potential Mabel death scene too :frown:

Gillian's storyline always had me feeling some kind of way about Nucky. Her scenes this season been unbearable. Ish is right though, she's been doing whatever it takes to survive. :smh:

One episode left and it looks our man Arnold Rothstein was written off the show; never got a proper sendoff. HBO :smh:
Yeah, early on there was a quote/interview from the creator talking about how with the timeskip he decided to skip everything AR despite it being a hard decision since they really liked the actor and AR's story. Basically the lame *** subplot with AR's wife was the last mention of him while at the same time showing how Nucky learned from AR given what he's doing with that knowledge of the previous deal.
Man I wont even care if Nucky lives or not if they show him offering up Gillian to the Commodore :smh:
It's rubbed me the wrong way since it's been clear seasons back. It's just plain unsettling that they're revisiting it in one way but since it's pretty much fact Nucky did it makes sense he'd have to face it. Especially every now and then when he's out of it he's basically talking to Gillian in his dreams trying to deflect. I remember early on when I was thinking maybe Nucky use to smash Gillian and then his boss snatched him from here to explain Jimmy and Nuck saw him as the son that should've been theirs but that got shattered not too long after S1 going in to S2.

For all the foul betrayals, gangster ****, and corrupt **** Nuck provided a child molester and rapist with another 10-13 yr old victim :smh: :x If they had did this show more in that kind of horrid scumbag light I'd probably be all for Nucky dying a painful death.

Last edited:
The show skipped over a lot of important things this season.

It's almost like no one in Atlantic City/NY notices that The Great Depression is going on

Things the show skipped/glossed over:
  • The 1929 Atlantic City conference: The first major gathering of organized crime figures in the United States, this always seemed like it would be a major focus of one of the show's seasons. Indeed, Winter has talked in prior interviews about how important the conference was to the characters depicted on the show and how he couldn't wait to show it. Instead, the decision to end the show after five seasons means we won't get to see this conference, unless there's a flashback.
  • The death of Arnold Rothstein: As played by Michael Stuhlbarg, Rothstein was always one of the show's most unexpectedly amusing characters. But the series has simply skipped right over his death in 1928, which means that Rothstein — who seemed like he was being set up for a major arc in the fourth season finale — is now a non-entity.
  • The crash of 1929: To be sure, the characters are all dealing with the after-effects of the crash in 1931 (even if it's easy to feel as if the event hasn't impacted most of the main characters — who have plenty of money — at all). But it's easy to imagine a season that featured the one-two punch of the crime conference and the financial crash. That could have been a very good season indeed.
Like yeah, they casually mention how Nucky has no money left and people are coming after the banks, dude offed himself in the premier, but like barely. To the point where people who were actually looking for those things missed them.

Last edited:
Yeah, early on there was a quote/interview from the creator talking about how with the timeskip he decided to skip everything AR despite it being a hard decision since they really liked the actor and AR's story. Basically the lame *** subplot with AR's wife was the last mention of him while at the same time showing how Nucky learned from AR given what he's doing with that knowledge of the previous deal.
It's rubbed me the wrong way since it's been clear seasons back. It's just plain unsettling that they're revisiting it in one way but since it's pretty much fact Nucky did it makes sense he'd have to face it. Especially every now and then when he's out of it he's basically talking to Gillian in his dreams trying to deflect. I remember early on when I was thinking maybe Nucky use to smash Gillian and then his boss snatched him from here to explain Jimmy and Nuck saw him as the son that should've been theirs but that got shattered not too long after S1 going in to S2.

For all the foul betrayals, gangster ****, and corrupt **** Nuck provided a child molester and rapist with another 10-13 yr old victim :smh: :x If they had did this show more in that kind of horrid scumbag light I'd probably be all for Nucky dying a painful death.

Thats true. Even Tony Soprano didnt arrange for a damn 10 year old to be molested. I feel like they discussed this in detail in previous seasons but I dont remember, did Nucky literally deliver Gillian to the Commodore's doorstep? Or did she run away or something and Nucky turned his back to it?

One cool parallel I've noticed in this past ep is when Nuck is arguing with Maranzano and he gets pissed talking about why do anything, why get out of bed, etc. It mirrors what Mabel was telling Nuck about doing the right thing about Gillian and him on that you can't save everybody steez and she's like why do anything good at all. Nuck basically adopted some of his dead wife's viewpoints.

Thats true. Even Tony Soprano didnt arrange for a damn 10 year old to be molested. I feel like they discussed this in detail in previous seasons but I dont remember, did Nucky literally deliver Gillian to the Commodore's doorstep? Or did she run away or something and Nucky turned his back to it?
It's never been outright confronted by any side; Jimmy, Nucky or Gillian. Just underlying a lot of arguments or convos. Pretty clear now he gave her up and kept doing stuff like that for the Commodore in order to rise to power. Almost every season had some mention of it. This season it's pretty heavy and clear what's setting up so here is where we may see how it went down in detail. The Gyp season I recall Gillian getting the hot shot of heroin and she regressed as a child and she was talking to Nucky like when she first met him and he was freaked out a bit. Seasons before that it'd just be stuff Jimmy said to Gillian or Nuck or the few convos Nucky had with Gillian. Jimmy killing the Commodore had a good deal to do with that along with him being a terrible w/e.

Even more ****** up now that I think about how Nuck sent her to get raped until she got pregnant and then 20+ years later has to kill her son on top of that :x

Doyle's voice isn't really that way? :wow:

Wow those set and prop ppl need to get some awards. The job they've been doing has been amazing from the wardrobe to the boardwalk. I never really did talk much how this show really did take you to the early 1900s prohibition days in the tristate area.
That was a real good watch.

Back
Top Bottom