Building a Better NikeTalk: What are your favorite website designs/layouts?

Originally Posted by 1Chainz

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

I'll rival everyone else's opinion and applaud for soliciting input on change. I think a redesign is needed.

I agree w/ dude who mentioned a more modern, minimalist design.

As far as forums go...I think Kanyetothe's layout is pretty clean

http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php
Came in here to post this. Cleanest site on the net. I'm a member of the site though and the owner did it from scratch.

We need a rep system too. And some way to fix the "time traveling" in threads.

i'm pretty sure they used templates from simple machines to start off with

the new layout coming in the summer in being written from scratch

I think a white based website would be better.

WHITE/bkack and red instead of BLACK/white and red.

plus, it would be better for our eyes.

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

I think a white based website would be better.

WHITE/bkack and red instead of BLACK/white and red.

plus, it would be better for our eyes.

I think it would look more modern and cleaner too, but just look at the replies so far...

Originally Posted by NiceLikeChrist

I would also like to point out http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/ as a few others have

Very nice layout and there's a handy feature that updates in real time at the bottom of threads when new replies have been added and you havent refreshed yet.

Also push notification for quotes and PM's are very useful. One of my favorite forums to browse simply due to the layout and features.

I also think we would benefit from a reputation system but then we'd also have to deal with clowns trying too hard just to get rep points and things of that nature.

Glad to hear the OG color scheme will stay, it is a must 
pimp.gif
Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

I'll rival everyone else's opinion and applaud for soliciting input on change. I think a redesign is needed.

I agree w/ dude who mentioned a more modern, minimalist design.

As far as forums go...I think Kanyetothe's layout is pretty clean

http://www.kanyetothe.com/forum/index.php
ill second these and to add to the list of stuff i like from KTT is the "My Topics" page

I know you will shoot me down, but gives us options on our avatar dimensions. For the love of all that's good, raise the dimension size. Before The Yuku conversion we were at 60x60, you then gave us a much needed increase to 100x100. All I'm asking is for an option for either 200x200 or 150x275.

truthfully im afraid to suggest anything just because I dont want the website moving slower/Losing Pages/etc... If you update the layout and its to complex people on slower computer will suffer.... imagine trying to change pages and its taking 3 mins a page just to load everything just cause theres SO MUCH going on.... if your going to update the layout please just make it functional for everybody.... and try on working on ads that dont sell fakes lol

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

I know you will shoot me down, but gives us options on our avatar dimensions. For the love of all that's good, raise the dimension size. Before The Yuku conversion we were at 60x60, you then gave us a much needed increase to 100x100. All I'm asking is for an option for either 200x200 or 150x275.

No way. 100x100 is more than enough.

Originally Posted by swendro88

No, it's really not.

Increase user interaction between sub-forums by adding a "recently discussed" component to the home page.

I only go in general but I am sure that there are posts in other subforums that would interest me but I don't ever go into these subforums.

If an interesting thread title popped up on the homepage then I might stay on NT a bit longer increasing ad $$.

just a thought.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by derryj3j3

I think NT would benefit from a rep system

Hopefully there is a way to control the rep system cause I seen this backfire before and people get bad reps for no reason at all.

Yeah. With a rep system you're treading water. There will be times where someone who is more of an annoyance or deterrent will deservedly get negative rep or times when someone comes through with something helpful and gets positive rep, but people will get negative repped for no good reason, while others will fish for positive reps just to boost their count and complain when they don't receive any.

I wouldn't have a reputation system outside of a marketplace or buy/sell forum.

Originally Posted by Method Man

I'm glad that many of you like the current layout, but it only works well for a very small segment of our user base.  Many of you have developed strategies to cope with some of the weaknesses in the layout by directly bookmarking your favorite forums, for example, or you use Google to find posts and stay very up to date with repeat visits rather than use the site search.  Since you've adapted, layout (which you can work around) isn't as big an irritant as stability (which you can't work around.)

NT is a pretty clean interface, I'd wager that anyone familiar with internet message boards can easily navigate NT and that it is in fact the stability issues that are more of a hindrance. improved search would be nice, easier vid embedding, other than that, I'll echo the sentiment that the layout is fantastic as is

whoever decided to prohibit pictures in sigs was a genius, don't change that

The layout is fine, we just need an improved search engine and notifications when someone quotes/responds to our posts.

As a member of other forums, such as Zilvia.net, their rep feature is extremely nice. Gives me more confidence in purchasing items that are going to be shipped. The only problem with their site is that you can sign up and start posting right away thus opening the door to scams and whatnot. Keep the 3 month rule and we're golden
Here's my "feedback page" 
http://zilvia.net/f/members/migit240sx.html

Other than that, I think NT is fine

Originally Posted by DwyaneWadeOG

Increase user interaction between sub-forums by adding a "recently discussed" component to the home page.

I only go in general but I am sure that there are posts in other subforums that would interest me but I don't ever go into these subforums.

If an interesting thread title popped up on the homepage then I might stay on NT a bit longer increasing ad $$.

just a thought.
It was trying to do that with this NT Startpage I made a while back, it was just something I was messing around with
but it was a bit too slow so I just gave it up, may try it again

The Recent Topics Section updated automatically.

WqjqD.png

As many has already mentioned....

....NT is fine the way it is.

pimp.gif
 thanks Meth and NT Mods!

is there a reason you guys stick with yuku and haven't tried something like VBulletin out? As far as forum layouts SA (somethingawful.com) is what I like, but I know they've done some serious hacking to the vbb software over the years.

the NT start page Srvd made was dope
pimp.gif
, remebered it from the wallpaper thread

i think theres too many jerks on NT for a rep system, feed back for Buy/Sell doesn't sound bad tho

No changes to the layout, the simple red and black is timeless. Add a +1 -1 rep system so we know who is worth listening to.

Is there a way to limit the width of the posts?

I don't know of any modern sites that use the full width of the window like NT does (well, minus the 150 pixels devoted to avatars/usernames on the side). What's worse is that the user post area gets even wider when someone posts an oversized picture. And it's even worse these days because every monitor is a widescreen.

How about putting more content on the side and reducing the width of the posts. Maybe put signatures, ads, etc. on the side. Also, a static menubar or something on the side would be nice too. Kind of like in google news, google reader, and gmail.

I don't know if we could or would want to do this, but another idea is to have a list of favorite posters, and you could show them on a sidebar, kind of like how gchat is in gmail. It would show if they're online and maybe their last post or something. It would be nice too to chat instantly and/or have a group chat function where you could invite people.

Of course, we would need a mobile version of NT too to go along with any of these changes.
In short, we should take hints from facebook and google.

Originally Posted by swendro88

No, it's really not.

Got a link to a forum that uses avy's that size?

only ghetto forums have avys that size. what is important is the content of the conversation, not the picture under the username.

Back
Top Bottom