Burnett a Yankee ...

Source: Burnett, Yankees agree on deal

Free agent right-hander A.J. Burnett has reached preliminary agreement on a five-year, $82.5 million contract with theNew York Yankees, a baseball source told ESPN.com.

While Yankees general manager Brian Cashman and Burnett's agent, Darek Braunecker are still negotiating final contract terms, the deal is expected to becomplete once Burnett passes a physical exam, the source said.

Burnett, who turns 32 in January, will join CC Sabathia at the top of a revamped starting rotation in New York. The Yankeesagreed to terms on a seven-year, $161 million contract with Sabathia earlier this week.

The Yankees made a late charge to beat out the Atlanta Braves for Burnett, who went 18-10 with a 4.07 ERA in 35 starts withToronto this season. New York is still looking for one more starter, and Cashman left the winter meetings in Las Vegas this week to meet with long-time YankeeAndy Pettitte.

In December 2005, Braunecker and his agency, Frontline Sports Management, negotiated a five-year, $55 million deal that included an opt out clause afterthree seasons. It was the first opt-out provision ever in a pitcher's contract.

Between the money that Burnett earned in Toronto and the guaranteed $82.5 million that he's scheduled to receive from the Yankees, his overall payoutfrom the 2005 Toronto contract will amount to $115.5 million over eight seasons.

pimp.gif

Check the Avy thats what I'm doing in my office...

That's $243.5MM spent on the Yankees on starting pitching, unless C.C. Sabathia opts out.
eek.gif
they spending that cash...

and thank you Yankees for signing AJ that was way too much money for 1 player i hope the Braves spend their money wisely.

It doesn't look so bad compared to the 5 year/$90+ mil deal that had been rumored, but $16.5 mil a year is still so damn much money for a fringe front-lineguy that isn't ever healthy...
smh.gif

damn, aj burnett can't post an under 3.00 era in his career.. he's injury prone.. he's still getting $17 mill per year.. very sad

edit: i can see why the yanks wanted this guy badly.. he's a red sox killer.. 8 games 5-0 under 3.00 era

The dude has won more than 12 games ONCE in his career and has never had an ERA under 3.30. And he is injury prone. 5 years, 82.5 mil? Really?

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

The dude has won more than 12 games ONCE in his career and has never had an ERA under 3.30. And he is injury prone. 5 years, 82.5 mil? Really?

Because wins is how you should judge a pitcher right?

Its not the best signing but I look at it as paying Pettitte half a million more than last year.

Originally Posted by JoE TwEnTy1

Originally Posted by bbllplaya23

Because wins is how you should judge a pitcher right?

Its not the best signing but I look at it as paying Pettitte half a million more than last year.

You really think he is worth anywhere near what he got? Are you serious? I didn't say wins are how to judge a pitcher. He is a solid pitcher but he'snot 80 million good. And on top of that, 5 years? Dude is injury prone. Who knows, maybe he'll stay healthy and pitch well for you guys. I'm justsaying that this probably wasn't the smartest deal to make IMO.

There will always be people hating on the Yankees. That's how you know they are back. Can't wait to see CC, Burnett, Wang and Joba this season.

Back
Top Bottom