Buying a Used "Luxury" Car that has close to or over 100k miles on it, yay or nay?

No offense but you seem like the type of dude to work 2 FT jobs + a part time just to have all the latest gear and fly clothes
only to go home to some shack with no electricity and sleep on a cot.

Depends on your style really, luxury doesn't mean expensive by any means. True they go hand in hand, but you can get a nice luxury experience for a decent price. Personally, if I had 10K to off right now, I'd grab a 1994/1995 Impala SS.

But to really answer your question, look in to the Mercury Marauder, you won't be disappointed, I promise you. Actually my next pick up in the coming months if things run right.

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Man I swear the whole hood got Altimas, lol

Affordable is good, but damn if I`m dropping money I`m tryna look good too

The thing is you aint dropping enough money, trying to stunt but the thing is what you trying to spend isn't enough.
You're bound to spend more money fixing the damn car then what you paid for it, get yourself a nice accord aint nothing wrong with them and they classy.

Why not just buy an used American sports car?

It will be a 2 seater.  (I don't care if they put seats in the back, they are too damn small).

It will look nice, lower mileage and if you are willing to get your hands dirty they are a bit easier to do self-maintenance than foreign cars.

It looks like you don't have the funds to get into the luxury import market, and if you are young there is no point of living outside your means just to be on 21 Front St.

stop frontin'.

luxury cars are gonna cost way more to maintain.. if you're buying used with high mileage..

RIP.

Just got my first car Monday. 2000 Audi A6 fully loaded with 101K miles for 7,400 after tax, tags, and title. A couple of minor issues (small leak that I've yet to notice, and timing belt is recommended to be replaced or it may be extremely expensive in the future) but I bought it from a respectable dealer and took it in yesterday after having a mechanic look at it and the manager said he was determined to make it right even if it meant giving me a refund or letting me choose a different car. I wouldn't buy a used luxury car from one of those side of the street shake joints but if you can find a good priced one at a respectable dealer go for it. The main letdown of used luxury cars is the maintenance costs and finding a mechanic who actually knows what they're doing with a luxury import. Bringing the whip in tomorrow for the dealer to see if they can fix the issues hopefully they give me that '11 370z that's on the showroom floor for the day as a loaner.

Damn, you guys are making it seem like it's unheard of for a car to have 100,000+ on them. I drove a Nissan 240sx up to about 190,000 miles before I finally bought a new car (and it was still running decent), and I have a Jetta that has 140,000 on it and running fine. If I can get that many miles out of regular cars, shouldn't you be able to get a heck of a lot more out of a "luxury" car? Although, I'm not in favor of buying a luxury car with a ton more miles just to look good when you could get a normal car with low miles instead.

My boy is a mechanic and said he sees Nissans and Hondas come in all the time for routine tune ups that have 250,000+ miles on them. Said he saw a diesel Jetta with 350,000 on it. 
eek.gif
   Maybe you should get one of them.

Ugh.

For 10-15k in a used car my sights would be set on a Camry, Accord, or Maxima. Maybe even a TL.

Nobody going to be fooled when you're driving a 10 year old 3 series around town.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Nek32

Damn, you guys are making it seem like it's unheard of for a car to have 100,000+ on them. I drove a Nissan 240sx up to about 190,000 miles before I finally bought a new car (and it was still running decent), and I have a Jetta that has 140,000 on it and running fine. If I can get that many miles out of regular cars, shouldn't you be able to get a heck of a lot more out of a "luxury" car? Although, I'm not in favor of buying a luxury car with a ton more miles just to look good when you could get a normal car with low miles instead.

My boy is a mechanic and said he sees Nissans and Hondas come in all the time for routine tune ups that have 250,000+ miles on them. Said he saw a diesel Jetta with 350,000 on it. 
eek.gif
   Maybe you should get one of them.

Contradicting yourself
laugh.gif

Depends on where the miles come from. If they're all highway miles and the previous owner took care of the car (older people are usually good for that) then you could be straight. I drive a 2001 Cadillac DTS with 120k on it with probably 85% being highway miles and it runs like a dream every single day. Never had any problems with it, and I get surprisingly good gas mileage too (Northstar 4.6L V8 FTW). The key is to look for a Cadillac dealership to do any work and to find one with people that you like. Cadillac has a lifetime guarantee on any work they do so you should only be paying for each job one time, really. (Except maintenance stuff, obviously.)

I'm 21 and a full time student, by the way. You just need a good head on your shoulders and enough money to cover maintenance and at LEAST good credit in case something happens. People for some reason think that only luxury/American cars have unexpected car issues come up.

That all being said, in case you don't keep up with business news or the car industry, Toyota is running some CRAZY good deals right now. You should check out an Avalon-- beautiful car, reliable, tons of space. Overall, an outstanding ride.

Back
Top Bottom