Buying Kicks with Repainted Midsoles

I'm in the market for some Cool grey IV's, but I'm a little reserved on forking out big bucks for a deadstock pair. I found a clean pair with midsoles that are slightly cracked. Not really that noticeable but I'm a freak when it comes to my J's. I also found another pair that has repainted midsoles (albeit with care and precision). I've heard that if done right the angelus paint used for repainting is better than the original and won't crack. I want to get variety of opinions on buying shoes that have had that kind of work done, thats why I didn't post in the restoration forum. I would assume that people there would be more inclined to side with repaints. So to all restorers and non-restorers, which one is better cracked or repainted midsoles? I'm also wondering IYO what repainting does to the value of the shoes? I'm personally leaning towards repainted but wanted hear the arguments from both sides.  

I'm in the market for some Cool grey IV's, but I'm a little reserved on forking out big bucks for a deadstock pair. I found a clean pair with midsoles that are slightly cracked. Not really that noticeable but I'm a freak when it comes to my J's. I also found another pair that has repainted midsoles (albeit with care and precision). I've heard that if done right the angelus paint used for repainting is better than the original and won't crack. I want to get variety of opinions on buying shoes that have had that kind of work done, thats why I didn't post in the restoration forum. I would assume that people there would be more inclined to side with repaints. So to all restorers and non-restorers, which one is better cracked or repainted midsoles? I'm also wondering IYO what repainting does to the value of the shoes? I'm personally leaning towards repainted but wanted hear the arguments from both sides.  

Heck if the repainted version is better why not go for them. They might end up being cheaper than the non painted DS ones. Even if its in mint condition with one non noticeable crack, thats just gonna lead to more cracking. If I were you, I'd just get the repainted one. Thats just me though 

Heck if the repainted version is better why not go for them. They might end up being cheaper than the non painted DS ones. Even if its in mint condition with one non noticeable crack, thats just gonna lead to more cracking. If I were you, I'd just get the repainted one. Thats just me though 

a ds one might crack within 5 wears. might as well go for the repainted

a ds one might crack within 5 wears. might as well go for the repainted

I think a non-restored pair is better, but you don't, so the only
better alternative other than DS is a re-painted pair.

Repaints can crack just as fast even if done correctly; they definately
don't last waaayyy longer and will crack again. So where does that leave you? If you can't stand
any cracking, you have to learn to repaint them yourself after x amount of wears.

that's as deep as you need me to get into it for now

I think a non-restored pair is better, but you don't, so the only
better alternative other than DS is a re-painted pair.

Repaints can crack just as fast even if done correctly; they definately
don't last waaayyy longer and will crack again. So where does that leave you? If you can't stand
any cracking, you have to learn to repaint them yourself after x amount of wears.

that's as deep as you need me to get into it for now

I think DS is better but their is always the chance they crack
embarassed.gif
If your unsure i think you should fork out for the ds pair and need be restore them..

embarassed.gif
If your unsure i think you should fork out for the ds pair and need be restore them..

I'd go with repainted if that's your only choice. I'm gonna paint my 8's and 3's soon I'll let you know how it turns out

I'd go with repainted if that's your only choice. I'm gonna paint my 8's and 3's soon I'll let you know how it turns out

Originally Posted by Startin2Stack

embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by Startin2Stack

embarassed.gif

^
Not good advice because very often, it is extremely difficult if not impossible to restore a cracked/crumbling midsole.
So buying DS hedges no bets. I'm sure most of you by now know the difference between paint chipping/cracking
and a urethane midsole cracking/crumbling...

^
Not good advice because very often, it is extremely difficult if not impossible to restore a cracked/crumbling midsole.
So buying DS hedges no bets. I'm sure most of you by now know the difference between paint chipping/cracking
and a urethane midsole cracking/crumbling...

repainted midsoles are hit and miss in my experience. of the midsoles i've painted, regardless of if it was for customisation or restoration, some still crack again and some don't. it depends on the model, it depends on the colour.

fire red 3's, both red and white recracked.
white cement spizike, black stayed solid, white recracked.
white paint on cdp xiv midsole stayed solid
fire red paint on ms vi stayed solid

repainted midsoles are hit and miss in my experience. of the midsoles i've painted, regardless of if it was for customisation or restoration, some still crack again and some don't. it depends on the model, it depends on the colour.

fire red 3's, both red and white recracked.
white cement spizike, black stayed solid, white recracked.
white paint on cdp xiv midsole stayed solid
fire red paint on ms vi stayed solid

I sometimes prefere the repainted. Need to make sure you find someone who knows what they are doing. Strips the paint before hand, small strokes, tape masks, uses duller, uses acrylic finisher, Always end with water proofing spray. If they are repainted correctly they can last. I would ask the person who repainted them what process he is using and go from there.

I sometimes prefere the repainted. Need to make sure you find someone who knows what they are doing. Strips the paint before hand, small strokes, tape masks, uses duller, uses acrylic finisher, Always end with water proofing spray. If they are repainted correctly they can last. I would ask the person who repainted them what process he is using and go from there.

I would go for the repainted shoes if the price is right. I'm always down for a challenge when it comes to doing a restoration and repainting with Angeles isn't that hard. You're going to spend more time prepping and stripping the paint than actually painting. But it doesn't matter how great your repaint comes out. I've repainted cool grey iv's and they still cracked on me after a couple of wears. The iii's and iv's are the worst IMO for repaint jobs because they have a habit of cracking even if you do repaint them in my experiences with jordan's.

Back
Top Bottom