Californians, how do you feel about Prop 8: Eliminates Right of Same-Sex Couples to Marry?

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Kix is right.

Marriage is a religious institution. Personally I think that the State shouldn't sanction marriage at all. I'm not against gay couples getting married as long as the state sanctions marriage of any type.
However, marriage is a religious institution ( in fact it's a core tenet of monotheist religions) and the definition is a union between a man and a woman. That cannot be discounted.

I don't understand why gay couples want to get " married" when the entire institution of marriage is antithetical to a portion of their lifestyle.
Why not fight against the state sanction of the institution of marriage and instead the acceptance of civil unions for all.
Word up son, I agree with you 100%. Accept for the part about not being against gay marriage, but your argument is precisely where I come from.

Originally Posted by SchruteFarms

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by cquan05

I don't think they should call it marriage, but I do not care enough to vote against it.

Marriage is a man & a woman.
smh.gif
smh.gif

I would vote no to it..........Marriage can be a man & woman, man & man or woman & woman.......How you gonna say a marriage is a man/woman only?

Because that is what Marriage is defined as in the bible. Period.

Gays have every right to be as miserable as straight people.

I agree you should let them be together. But If my religion says that something is not validated, than why would you need to call it marriage?

As long as they have the SAME rights, tax breaks, visiting rights, will ect....I don't see the big deal, but like I stated I don't really care what they call it, so I guess in a way I'm for it.
That's the problem. Not everybody is your religion, and like I stated I'm a Christian. We as Christians should NOT force our beliefs on anybody. If they want to get married they should have that right.

In every religious document. Koran/Torah ect....States the same, and God is in pretty much every legal document. Including the CONSTITUTION.

Im not a christian either.

Marriage is a religious word.

Civil Unions receive the EXACT same rights as marriages, the only difference is the NAME. That is it.
separate but equal is NOT EQUAL
the +@!@ is this? 1950?

Did you even read dudes posts?

Marriage is a RELIGIOUS TERM

Comparing this to separate but equal
laugh.gif

the +@!@ is this? 1950?
Now now, it's not like we're talking about separate facilities (i.e. schools, bathrooms, etc.) here. The argument for separate but equalin the context of racism doesn't apply so clearly to homosexuals. At least not here in the Bay Area.

At first I was for this because I felt my rights were trampled by the Supreme Court judges whom overruled voters in 2000 who already voted for a similarmeasure. I was going to vote yes until I was visited by this white couple who rang my door bell and started asking me about this proposition. They had all mypersonal info and going door to door to try to convince me to vote YES.

So I though about it a little more and I now I am incline to vote NO on this measure. Even though I am grossed out by that gay lifestyle, I think itsridiculous to amend our State constitution. Gays should not be discriminated and be allowed the same rights and benefits. This stupid proposition is likeclosing your eyes on the issue of same sex marriages. Our country and America has to deal with the rights of these gays now.

i was raised to be a level headed individual but i'm still on the fence regarding this one. it's a complicated topic with its pros and cons. the lastsurvey made that "yes" is leading with a slight margin but the undecided could eventually decide the outcome. any parents here? i'd like to hearyour view on this.

Originally Posted by truthmain

the +@!@ is this? 1950?
Now now, it's not like we're talking about separate facilities (i.e. schools, bathrooms, etc.) here. The argument for separate but equal in the context of racism doesn't apply so clearly to homosexuals. At least not here in the Bay Area.
i'm not talking about racism, i'm talking more broadly.
if civil unions have all the same rights and benefits as regular hetereosexual marriages, they are still inherently unequal.

My opinion: Nope!! Same sex marriages shouldn't be allowed to marry. I believe it will persuade my children to be gay...by the time I have children itsgoing to be pretty much "normal" and same-sex marriage is anything but normal!
So fast-forward to 10+ years its possible that my lil' girl is going to come home and say "Mommy I kissed a lil' girl or she has a crush onher"
I am no one but a Cali citizen to speak my opinion. If we had no say so there would be no voting....
Yes its a free country...but to do whatever has been in the system already.
If we accept same-sex marriage based on "if it makes them happy" than we might as well accept polygamy, marijuana, and drugs because it "makespeople happy"...

It's not natural for two people of the same sex to get married. I will vote Yes on it.

Civil Union: Yes

Marriage: No

Originally Posted by Miss Savannah

My opinion: Nope!! Same sex marriages shouldn't be allowed to marry. I believe it will persuade my children to be gay...by the time I have children its going to be pretty much "normal" and same-sex marriage is anything but normal!
So fast-forward to 10+ years its possible that my lil' girl is going to come home and say "Mommy I kissed a lil' girl or she has a crush on her"
I am no one but a Cali citizen to speak my opinion. If we had no say so there would be no voting....
If we accept same-sex marriage based on "if it makes them happy" than we might as well accept polygamy, marijuana, and drugs because it "makes people happy"...
its your job as a parent to raise your child. not society's job. who are you to say what is "normal?" different strokes fordifferent folks. right?

do what's in the system already? keep doing what we've been doing for the last 100+ years? because life is exactly the same as it was back then.

i dont condone drinking til youre drunk, so i should impose that on people who i dont know?

i do not support prop 8. i have many gay friends and i support them.

i personally believe people should marry who they want forreals... who are we to be tellin someone who they can and cant marry? and for all those people thatdont like it.. B**CH PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASEEEEE MIND YOUR DAMN BUSINESS AND TURN YOUR HEAD! oh well people need to realize this is the 21st century.. timesare changing.. and yea maybe its not in the bible that a man and a man should marry or a woman and a woman.. but lemme askk you this: have you met GOD? did hepersonally tell you hes gonna send a gay man to hell? or condemn a lesbian to satan??? this is why people come to america in the first place.. cuz its a FREEcountry and people should have the right to love or marry who ever they pleaseeeee.. we make it seem like gays and lesbians are another creature.. theyre justlike us HUMAN

Originally Posted by hiphopstar55

i personally believe people should marry who they want forreals... who are we to be tellin someone who they can and cant marry? and for all those people that dont like it.. B**CH PLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASEEEEE MIND YOUR DAMN BUSINESS AND TURN YOUR HEAD! oh well people need to realize this is the 21st century.. times are changing.. and yea maybe its not in the bible that a man and a man should marry or a woman and a woman.. but lemme askk you this: have you met GOD? did he personally tell you hes gonna send a gay man to hell? or condemn a lesbian to satan??? this is why people come to america in the first place.. cuz its a FREE country and people should have the right to love or marry who ever they pleaseeeee.. we make it seem like gays and lesbians are another creature.. theyre just like us HUMAN

1. Have you met God?

2. America is not a free country, wake up

I'm voting no on Prop 8. I simply see no valid reason why gay people should not be permitted to be married.

My opinion: Nope!! Same sex marriages shouldn't be allowed to marry. I believe it will persuade my children to be gay...by the time I have children its going to be pretty much "normal" and same-sex marriage is anything but normal!
So fast-forward to 10+ years its possible that my lil' girl is going to come home and say "Mommy I kissed a lil' girl or she has a crush on her"
If we accept same-sex marriage based on "if it makes them happy" than we might as well accept polygamy, marijuana, and drugs because it "makes people happy"...

your opinion blows.

same sex unions will never be normal regardless of this passing..
you don't have a choice as to whether or not your child is gay.
and did you really compare mind altering drugs to one's lifestyle? wow.

If you're kid is gay, they're gay. Trust me, there's enough stuff going around right now that will "persuade" people to be gay.. Likesongs, shows, etc.. so you opinion holds now validation. What about ever since this country was started, churches that tried to keep marriages between onlyone race and preached that was right? And the parents back then who didn't want blacks and whites to marry because it wasn't "natural" andthey're daughters might end up marrying a black man?

It's so sad, its 2008, we claim we're a "free" country yet everything is governed by peoples religious beliefs. Like I said before, ifyou're not for gay marriage, then don't get married to a female. There's going to be gay couples no matter what, and gay people everywhere. Areyou saying you'd rather have them hiding and preventing them for marriage hides them more? If so, that's disgusting.

Also, are you married? just a question.

Originally Posted by Alchemiss

If you're kid is gay, they're gay. Trust me, there's enough stuff going around right now that will "persuade" people to be gay.. Like songs, shows, etc.. so you opinion holds now validation. What about ever since this country was started, churches that tried to keep marriages between only one race and preached that was right? And the parents back then who didn't want blacks and whites to marry because it wasn't "natural" and they're daughters might end up marrying a black man?

It's so sad, its 2008, we claim we're a "free" country yet everything is governed by peoples religious beliefs. Like I said before, if you're not for gay marriage, then don't get married to a female. There's going to be gay couples no matter what, and gay people everywhere. Are you saying you'd rather have them hiding and preventing them for marriage hides them more? If so, that's disgusting.

Interracial marrige is not the same as gay marriage.

Originally Posted by alejanz28

If you're kid is gay, they're gay. Trust me, there's enough stuff going around right now that will "persuade" people to be gay.. Like songs, shows, etc.. so you opinion holds now validation. What about ever since this country was started, churches that tried to keep marriages between only one race and preached that was right? And the parents back then who didn't want blacks and whites to marry because it wasn't "natural" and they're daughters might end up marrying a black man?

It's so sad, its 2008, we claim we're a "free" country yet everything is governed by peoples religious beliefs. Like I said before, if you're not for gay marriage, then don't get married to a female. There's going to be gay couples no matter what, and gay people everywhere. Are you saying you'd rather have them hiding and preventing them for marriage hides them more? If so, that's disgusting.

Of course it's not the same thing but at one point and still today people believe its not natural and the churches were teaching that as well. My points are:

+ We claim to have a government with separation of church and state and we don't
+ People think it's okay to make decisions for others based on their own religious beliefs
+ Being gay IS natural. If it wasn't God wouldn't have made gay people. Point blank.

Originally Posted by alejanz28

Of course it's not the same thing but at one point and still today people believe its not natural and the churches were teaching that as well. My points are:

+ We claim to have a government with separation of church and state and we don't
+ People think it's okay to make decisions for others based on their own religious beliefs
+ Being gay IS natural. If it wasn't God wouldn't have made gay people. Point blank.

Based on your argument.

Murder is natural, because God made murderers, that argument is flawed

It is not okay to make decisions based on religious beliefs? Look at the Constitution buddy. Religion is All over it

Every Congressman/Senator / President is Sworn in under the Bible.
(Except MN, my cats to the north know what Im talking about)

I honestly can't believe people still believe this in California of all places. It's truly sickening the only thing that makes me secure about my stateis that it used to be worse

Back
Top Bottom