Californians, how do you feel about Prop 8: Eliminates Right of Same-Sex Couples to Marry?

1. did i say i met god? smhhhhhhhhhh
2. go back to sleep.. compared to other countries america is a free country

Originally Posted by PaidNHalf

Originally Posted by Alchemiss

Originally Posted by alejanz28

Originally Posted by Miss Savannah

My opinion: Nope!! Same sex marriages shouldn't be allowed to marry. I believe it will persuade my children to be gay...by the time I have children its going to be pretty much "normal" and same-sex marriage is anything but normal!
So fast-forward to 10+ years its possible that my lil' girl is going to come home and say "Mommy I kissed a lil' girl or she has a crush on her"
I am no one but a Cali citizen to speak my opinion. If we had no say so there would be no voting....
Yes its a free country...but to do whatever has been in the system already.
If we accept same-sex marriage based on "if it makes them happy" than we might as well accept polygamy, marijuana, and drugs because it "makes people happy"...

If you're kid is gay, they're gay. Trust me, there's enough stuff going around right now that will "persuade" people to be gay.. Like songs, shows, etc.. so you opinion holds now validation. What about ever since this country was started, churches that tried to keep marriages between only one race and preached that was right? And the parents back then who didn't want blacks and whites to marry because it wasn't "natural" and they're daughters might end up marrying a black man?

It's so sad, its 2008, we claim we're a "free" country yet everything is governed by peoples religious beliefs. Like I said before, if you're not for gay marriage, then don't get married to a female. There's going to be gay couples no matter what, and gay people everywhere. Are you saying you'd rather have them hiding and preventing them for marriage hides them more? If so, that's disgusting.

Also, are you married? just a question.

Interracial marrige is not the same as gay marriage.
Of course it's not the same thing but at one point and still today people believe its not natural and the churches were teaching that as well. My points are:

+ We claim to have a government with separation of church and state and we don't
+ People think it's okay to make decisions for others based on their own religious beliefs
+ Being gay IS natural. If it wasn't God wouldn't have made gay people. Point blank.

Based on your argument.

Murder is natural, because God made murderers, that argument is flawed

It is not okay to make decisions based on religious beliefs? Look at the Constitution buddy. Religion is All over it

Every Congressman/Senator / President is Sworn in under the Bible.
(Except MN, my cats to the north know what Im talking about)

Murder is natural, does being natural make something right? No. Validating something because it's "natural" makes no sense, and that was thepoint I was trying to make. People try to think of all these reasons that validate a ban on gay marriage, and they are all incredibly ignorant.

I did not say making decisions in GENERAL based on your religious beliefs. I said making decisions for OTHERS based on your own religious beliefs.

And all the sudden why is the government exactly what is right? Think about it for a minute. Since every congressman/senator/president is sworn under theBible, what happens if one of those people is Muslim , Jewish, Buddhist, etc? Our whole system is messed up and a lot of people don't seem to acknowledgethat.

Originally Posted by hiphopstar55

1. did i say i met god? smhhhhhhhhhh
2. go back to sleep.. compared to other countries america is a free country

1. No, but you did ask if anyone ever did, like that had anything to do with the conversation.
Religion has nothing to do with God.
2. Go back to sleep? !@+? Compared to other countries
laugh.gif

I love how people claim this and that about how shocked they are
laugh.gif
, what is there to be shocked about?
That a a country that has been in denial of no separation of church and state has policies that hinder rights?

Are you the same people that are shocked by the race issues in the country, or the corruption on wall street?
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by PaidNHalf

My opinion: Nope!! Same sex marriages shouldn't be allowed to marry. I believe it will persuade my children to be gay...by the time I have children its going to be pretty much "normal" and same-sex marriage is anything but normal!
So fast-forward to 10+ years its possible that my lil' girl is going to come home and say "Mommy I kissed a lil' girl or she has a crush on her"
I am no one but a Cali citizen to speak my opinion. If we had no say so there would be no voting....
If we accept same-sex marriage based on "if it makes them happy" than we might as well accept polygamy, marijuana, and drugs because it "makes people happy"...

If you're kid is gay, they're gay. Trust me, there's enough stuff going around right now that will "persuade" people to be gay.. Like songs, shows, etc.. so you opinion holds now validation. What about ever since this country was started, churches that tried to keep marriages between only one race and preached that was right? And the parents back then who didn't want blacks and whites to marry because it wasn't "natural" and they're daughters might end up marrying a black man?

It's so sad, its 2008, we claim we're a "free" country yet everything is governed by peoples religious beliefs. Like I said before, if you're not for gay marriage, then don't get married to a female. There's going to be gay couples no matter what, and gay people everywhere. Are you saying you'd rather have them hiding and preventing them for marriage hides them more? If so, that's disgusting.

Of course it's not the same thing but at one point and still today people believe its not natural and the churches were teaching that as well. My points are:

+ We claim to have a government with separation of church and state and we don't
+ People think it's okay to make decisions for others based on their own religious beliefs
+ Being gay IS natural. If it wasn't God wouldn't have made gay people. Point blank.

Based on your argument.

Murder is natural, because God made murderers, that argument is flawed

It is not okay to make decisions based on religious beliefs? Look at the Constitution buddy. Religion is All over it

Every Congressman/Senator / President is Sworn in under the Bible.
(Except MN, my cats to the north know what Im talking about)

Murder is natural, does being natural make something right? No. Validating something because it's "natural" makes no sense, and that was the point I was trying to make. People try to think of all these reasons that validate a ban on gay marriage, and they are all incredibly ignorant.

I did not say making decisions in GENERAL based on your religious beliefs. I said making decisions for OTHERS based on your own religious beliefs.

And all the sudden why is the government exactly what is right? Think about it for a minute. Since every congressman/senator/president is sworn under the Bible, what happens if one of those people is Muslim , Jewish, Buddhist, etc? Our whole system is messed up and a lot of people seem to not accept that.

1. you agreed with me on naturality

2. The constitution makes decisions for other people, exactly my point

3. They are sworn in under their religious text. Hence the Minnesota Reference. Look it up

And for the record, never said government was right, just stating fact

I don't support gay marriage & it has nothing to do with religion. I don't even go to church.

1. I just don't think 2 men or 2 women were meant to be.... there is a reason that it takes a man & a woman to make children
2. I don't think 2 men or 2 women can raise a kid in the same WAY that a man/woman kid...... the arguement of better or worse is debatable but I'm noteven touching on that aspect necessarily.

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

I don't support gay marriage & it has nothing to do with religion. I don't even go to church.

1. I just don't think 2 men or 2 women were meant to be.... there is a reason that it takes a man & a woman to make children
2. I don't think 2 men or 2 women can raise a kid in the same WAY that a man/woman kid...... the arguement of better or worse is debatable but I'm not even touching on that aspect necessarily.

1. With Divorce rates , one could argue men and women aren't meant to be together either

2. Gay Family is better than no family

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

2. I don't think 2 men or 2 women can raise a kid in the same WAY that a man/woman kid...... the arguement of better or worse is debatable but I'm not even touching on that aspect necessarily.
I understand your point, but under #2, you should then believe in banning divorce and force all female+males who have children together to getmarried.

At the end of the day, straight people will never fully understand gays and vice versa. I get if people think its gross, that's sad, but its the realityof how people are raised and their own opinions.

But why should others decide if they get married or not? They will still exist and still have relationships. It's just robbing people of their rights.

Originally Posted by spriigan8

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

What saddens me about many of my fellow Christians is that we are taught to accept everybody exactly how they are, and not judge them but do the exact opposite.
There is a difference between tolerance and compromise. I have a few gay friends, and while I absolutely hate what I believe is wrong (their homosexuality) it doesn't mean I have the right to judge or treat them in an ill manner. However, I am voting YES to ban this because I see the sin of homosexuality as something God hates, and for that reason I would not welcome it to be open. To be clear, God does not hate the people practicing homosexuality, but the sin in the heart.

And just for discussion's sake where is there a final say that people are born gay? I don't think I've ever heard a clear answer on that. Open to hearing anyone's input.
qft. It won't affect me, but I don't want any kids or my kids being taught in school that marriage can be between a man and a man or awoman and a woman. Each one has different roles, a father is for toughening up, discipline, fun, etc. A mother is for nurturing, to sing to a baby, and so on.Gay people are NOT born gay. If people want to be gay, then let them, but I suggest vote yes on this to decrease moral decay.

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Adam & Eve, not Adam and Steve.

Adam and Eve FTW!!!
eek.gif
Clever, think of that yourself?

no its in almost every dancehall song out there.

either way dont you guys see this a separation of church and state issue.

How do straight people know how gay people are born? That makes no sense.

As a lesbian- I knew ever since I was little that I liked other girls. That said, I grew up in a very suburban area where it was about 99% white and I was noteven exposed to gays. It's just what I knew myself. Growing up I thought maybe I should mess with dudes because its what everyone else is doing.. And everytime doing so I wanted to vomit and it felt incredibly wrong.

And please do not come at me with "its the wrong guy" or "you haven't met the right guy" reason.

Who are you to say people aren't born the way they are when you have no clue??

There's no point in arguing this.

I don't know which is more gross to me the thought of two gay dudes together sexually or the thought that someone feels the need to interject their beliefsystem into society and law at the cost of other peoples civil rights. I don't think I have the right to tell two consenting adults who can and can'tget married.

@+$+ I don't even care about polygamy if some dude can deal with being married to half a dozen women (God bless that dude, cause a relationship with justone woman is enough drama and headache in my experience) then more power to him. But polygamy is outlawed in part because like old dudes were marrying like 13year old girls and gross @+$+ like that…

No I'm not married.
It is my opinion and how I feel about the subject.
I have gay friends and relatives and respect their decision whether I feel its wrong or right...
In MY life same-sex anything is not normal...in MY life black and white relationships are normal...its still a man and a woman
Yes I will raise my kids but society has a great affect on kids...kids can be raised in a good home and still go against everything they were taught
I'd rather them keep it private then be all public about it...
It is a free country but to a certain extent...we can't do everything we want...and like I said before...why give us the right to vote about something thatwe have no business deciding on...and yes there's going to be gay couple whether it passes or not so if I have the right to vote againt their marriage thenI'm going to
And you don't think homosexuality has anything to do with the mind?
Though I don't agree I am open to your opinion...I'm not going to say you're wrong.
For instance, it is a shame that people along with myself are against same-sex marriage because they(same-sex couples) are happy with their choice. That'sthe only reason why I would hesitate to vote against it...but when it comes down to it...I believe its wrong

... Sometimes I wonder if people start these threads just to induce ignorant comments. I'm not sure if this is entertaining or just sad, but it sure ishilarious to read.

god bless american? GOD
eek.gif
AMERICA!!
roll.gif
but seriously why all these politicians fake the funk and end their speech orwhatever with these words? democracy and god dont go hand in hand.. we need to pick a side and quit playing games.

School Field Trip to Teacher's Lesbian Wedding Sparks Controversy

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,436961,00.html

First-graders in San Francisco took a field trip to City Hall to celebrate the marriage of their lesbian teacher on Friday, but opponents of same-sex marriagein the state say the field trip was an attempt to "indoctrinate" the students, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

The field trip was suggested by a parent at the Creative Arts Charter School, and the school said the trip, where students tossed rose petals on their teacherand her wife as they left City Hall, was academically relevant.

"It really is what we call a teachable moment," said Liz Jaroslow, the school's interim director, according to the newspaper. She said same-sexmarriage had historic significance. "I think I'm well within the parameters."

California will vote on Nov. 4 on Proposition 8 which seeks to ban same-sex marriage in the state, and supporters of the measure say the field trip shows thatallowing same-sex marriage will mean it's taught to school children, the newspaper said.

"It's just utterly unreasonable that a public school field trip would be to a same-sex wedding," said Chip White, press secretary for the Yes on8 campaign, told the Chronicle. "This is overt indoctrination of children who are too young to have an understanding of its purpose."

Originally Posted by Tupac Jordan

School Field Trip to Teacher's Lesbian Wedding Sparks Controversy

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,436961,00.htmlhttp://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,436961,00.html

First-graders in San Francisco took a field trip to City Hall to celebrate the marriage of their lesbian teacher on Friday, but opponents of same-sex marriage in the state say the field trip was an attempt to "indoctrinate" the students, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

The field trip was suggested by a parent at the Creative Arts Charter School, and the school said the trip, where students tossed rose petals on their teacher and her wife as they left City Hall, was academically relevant.

"It really is what we call a teachable moment," said Liz Jaroslow, the school's interim director, according to the newspaper. She said same-sex marriage had historic significance. "I think I'm well within the parameters."

California will vote on Nov. 4 on Proposition 8 which seeks to ban same-sex marriage in the state, and supporters of the measure say the field trip shows that allowing same-sex marriage will mean it's taught to school children, the newspaper said.

"It's just utterly unreasonable that a public school field trip would be to a same-sex wedding," said Chip White, press secretary for the Yes on 8 campaign, told the Chronicle. "This is overt indoctrination of children who are too young to have an understanding of its purpose."
I see both sides of this argument. On one hand, people are up in arms about how could they take these kids to a gay wedding and mask it as a fieldtrip? On the other hand, it's not those people's kids and the parents of those kids cosigned on it. I think it was a nice gesture to do somethingspecial for their teacher on what was to be one of her happiest days. My biggest problem with Prop. 8 is that by voting Yes for that, you're basicallyvoting Yes to forcing your personal beliefs on others and I'll never agree to that because I was raised to believe differently.

Let em live. No on prop 8. It seems very irrational to ban it. Totally unconstitutional.

However, how did gay marriage end up in the curriculum so quickly? Even still, it shouldn't be a big deal, i dont think. How much is there about thesubject to teach? You can sum up the whole subject in a couple sentences. No need for a whole chapter dedicated on it.

consequences if the vote fails:

1.png

Children in public schools will have to be taught that same-sex marriage is just as good as traditional marriage.
The California Education Code already requires that health education classes instruct children about marriage. (§51890)

Therefore, unless Proposition 8 passes, children will be taught that marriage between any two adults is of the same worth, regardless of gender. There will be serious clashes between the secular school system and the right of parents to teach their children their own values and beliefs.

2.png

Churches may be sued over their tax exempt status if they refuse to allow same-sex marriage ceremonies in their religious buildings open to the public. Ask whether your pastor, priest, minister, bishop, or rabbi is ready to perform such marriages in your chapels and sanctuaries.

3.png

Religious adoption agencies will be challenged by government agencies to give up their long-held right to place children only in homes with both a mother and a father. Catholic Charities in Boston already closed its doors in Massachusetts because courts legalized same-sex marriage there.

4.png

Religions that sponsor private schools with married student housing may be required to provide housing for same-sex couples, even if counter to church doctrine, or risk lawsuits over tax exemptions and related benefits.

5.png

Ministers who preach against same-sex marriages may be sued for hate speech and risk government fines. It already happened in Canada, a country that legalized gay marriage. A recent California court held that municipal employees may not say: "traditional marriage," or "family values" because, after the same-sex marriage case, it is "hate speech."

6.png

It will cost you money. This change in the definition of marriage will bring a cascade of lawsuits, including some already lost (e.g., photographers cannot now refuse to photograph gay marriages; doctors cannot now refuse to perform artificial insemination of gays even given other willing doctors). Even if courts eventually find in favor of a defender of traditional marriage (highly improbable given today's activist judges), think of the money - your money - that will be spent on such legal battles.

NO on Prop 8:

will mean the State has no definition for the word "marriage" and will leave the term open to interpretation.

I think im going to vote no on 8. I think gay people should have every right that straight people do. My only problem is its effect on churches. I don'tthink pastors should have to preside over a same sex marriage if is against what they believe.

bible dictating the rights of human beings are . do you guys stone your sons and daughters for being unruly too?

Back
Top Bottom