Can anyone here say they got rich off going to college?

My dad dropped out in first grade and is making a consistent living. He doesn't live beyond his mean though.
Same goes with my older brother. He did hasn't used his teaching degree at all and clears 100k a year.

5 years removed from receiving my Bachelor of Science. Nothing to show for. Still paying for school while making $13-14/hr. That's barely enough to literally survive in MA.

Feels. Bad. Man.

Am so sick of hearing people say stuff like "a college degree isn't worth it. "

To be a hustler is a mindset and people have to understand that, Just having a college degree is not going to make you automatically successful and rolling in money. You have to have the mindset ,ambition and drive to succeeded period. This is even more true now in today's economic climate were the job market is not what it use to be. Back in the day, you could go to college graduate and easily find a job that payed decent. However, those days are gone and now its all about who you know /networking and the drive you have to get were you want to be.

5 years removed from receiving my Bachelor of Science. Nothing to show for. Still paying for school while making $13-14/hr. That's barely enough to literally survive in MA.

Feels. Bad. Man.
Bachelor of Science in what? 

I know this chick who majored in Asian Studies and is complaining about not finding a job. Like what kinda job you expect to get from Asian Studies?

Based off these threads on NT.

It's obvious that people without degrees make way more than people with degrees.

I doubt that's true

But if it was, its because people who drop out tend to already know what they want to do in terms of a career and they have the connections to make it happen. Ex. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.

But don't get it twisted and think everyone who drops out just start stacking paper , a lot of these people work dead end jobs and make the same wages year after year. Not every drop out is a Steve Job story.

I didn't go to college with the premise it would make me rich....(not rich at all btw :lol: )

To be honest that concept is part of what is wrong with so many young people going to college these days. At best, a modest paying job awaits you as you graduate if you're lucky.

Last edited:

Bachelor of Science in what? 

I know this chick who majored in Asian Studies and is complaining about not finding a job. Like what kinda job you expect to get from Asian Studies?
Criminal Justice. Graduated with a 3.5. Can't even get my resume looked at for probation jobs with a starting salary of $40-50K
mean.gif

My dad dropped out in first grade and is making a consistent living. He doesn't live beyond his mean though.
Same goes with my older brother. He did hasn't used his teaching degree at all and clears 100k a year.

Out of curiosity, how does a 6 year old drop out of 1st grade?

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are basically your standard college dropouts.

Like, that's what happens to most people who don't have degrees.

Look at Jay Z.

Another college and education is useless thread. Life is a marathon, not a sprint. Everything, including wealth, isn't going to be attainable in your first year out of school. These things take time. Consider relocating to another market where your skills can be used. Work in another state if you have to. You know there isn't much opportunity in your area. You can't base your success or lack thereof on what you see a few people do. I see plenty of people whipping 700 series BMWs, Range's and Mercedes. I don't feel bad about it. Their car note is probably half of their rent.
To be honest that concept is part of what is wrong with so many young people going to college these days. At best, a modest paying job awaits you as you graduate if you're lucky.
This. Their expectations are entirely too high.

Last edited:
OP makes it seem as if going to school stops you from becoming rich.

If you feel you would be rich without school, then what's stopping you from being rich with school?

See that's the problem right there.

Why you askin' all these questions? That's some Book Smart ****.

Cats who are Street Smart know better than that. They get it how they live and rarely ever fail in gaining success in life after the age of 40.

Success and happiness is in the eye of the beholder. School should be used to learn it study things that interest you and not for financial gain. If you happen to make money doing something you love then that's just the icing on the cake. What a lot of younger cats don't realize is everyone is not going to be a CEO after graduating. Not saying you should strive for less, but lettuce be cereal, if you were mediocre in high school, mediocre in college, why on earth would you think you will be boss status of some Fortune 500 company? Set a goal, strive for it , and enjoy life in between. Money doesn't = happiness and a better life automoatically.

If you go through all that school and dont have the job you want, you didnt shake the right hands in school.

Just because you have a degree doesnt mean anything if you did not make connections. College just isnt about books, its about displaying your talents to the world.

I'm sure most CEOs of Fortune 500 companies got help from their degrees.

Then again, getting a degree is like getting a hammer.

With that hammer, others would use it to help them build a house.

Others would use it to help them build a car.

Others would plate it in Gold and resell it.

What you do with your degree is up to the person. Does getting a degree help ? It's not a negative, that's for sure.

Keep in mind, what you learn in your undergrad is about 5% of what you need to learn in the career related to your undergrad. So you have 95% of knowledge that you still need to learn through work experience and just life in general.

My income is directly tied to my degree. I am about to finish my Master of Engineering in Electrical Engineering in December and I already have multiple job offers ranging from $65k - $82k. Now that's not out of control balling but it does set me on a trajectory for future financial success.

Honestly though, it's not about money for me. It's about legacy. I intend to go on to get a Ph.D. in electrical engineering and hope to become a tenured professor. My ultimate dream is to one day have equations named after me. Have engineering students learn about my contribution to the field in school and stuff.

Success and happiness is in the eye of the beholder. School should be used to learn it study things that interest you and not for financial gain. If you happen to make money doing something you love then that's just the icing on the cake. What a lot of younger cats don't realize is everyone is not going to be a CEO after graduating. Not saying you should strive for less, but lettuce be cereal, if you were mediocre in high school, mediocre in college, why on earth would you think you will be boss status of some Fortune 500 company? Set a goal, strive for it , and enjoy life in between. Money doesn't = happiness and a better life automoatically.
I would be thrilled about $40K with benefits at this point. Dead serious. If I had a wife and kids right now I would be F'd. Sort of sucks knowing you are not secure enough to support a significant other and potential family. That broke, loner life
embarassed.gif

I don't get why people complain about high tuition when other schools offer lower tuition and sometimes free as long as ur a grad asst etc.... . Also students who don't work but take a lot of loans out

Some of you guys sound VERY self-conscious about the fact that you believe not going to school "hinders" your chances of making a wealthy living.

Now, why don't you all tell us what the real reason is for feeling this way? You guys know who you are.

Back
Top Bottom