Can anyone here say they got rich off going to college?

$120K is 3x more than I'd be thrilled to be making right now and I live in an expensive city (Boston)
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
@ worst case scenario...

Student loan debt is probably da most problematic

Sector in this economy now, & without good high

Paying jobs relieve pressure on this, its only gonna

Get worse & worse....
"Graduating with 150-200k in debt" and "bachelor's degree working retail at da apple store Wondering why da hell i even bothered mad bread In loans" seem like some pretty terrible scenarios. I know plenty of people who just graduated in 2012 who are employed with good jobs and manageable college debt. If you come out of college 150-200k in debt without a job then you didn't come up with an affordable or responsible plan to get an education. Sounds like your homie splurged on a pricey education he couldn't afford. Was he the problem or was it all the systems fault? We need to take personal accountability somewhere.

Last edited:
Plenty folks make half 120K are surviving. It's all about how you manage your money.

The key is going for a a major in demand. Most degrees don't mean anything, especially these days. I'm majoring in Computer Science, in which there will always be a demand. While I have to put in the work to get the job, I'm guaranteed one pretty much. Starting salary is $58,000 and I can work with that.

Same.. Computer Science/Finance.

I think with a lot of these stories about people graduating and struggling.. They don't take into account what exactly that person majored in and if they put forth any effort whatsoever to gain experience in that field.

Of course if you graduate with a degree in social science or art history and pretty much anything along those lines life is going to be one massive struggle as you make part time money and have to pay off debt if you decided to take it.

Pops told me straight up, if I majored in a liberal art expect to be in school till I obtained my masters minimum, as no one takes anyone with a liberal arts degree seriously if they just have their bachelors.

Majored in CS because I love computers, and just recently built my own.

Majored in Finance because I'm hella interested, and even if I don't pursue a career in it what I learned can most likely be applied to my daily life.

Major in something practical, minor in your dreams. If your dreams are practical, count yourself lucky.

Last edited:
ok i see where you guys are coming from, now answer this for me? when i graduate my doctoral program ill me making something in the 120k-130k range. is this amount of cash worth going to school for???? #humblebrag/ifimbugginthenopenmyeyesplease. thanks in advance

What program is this?

ok i see where you guys are coming from, now answer this for me? when i graduate my doctoral program ill me making something in the 120k-130k range. is this amount of cash worth going to school for???? #humblebrag/ifimbugginthenopenmyeyesplease. thanks in advance

I'm sorry but is 120k supposed to be a lot of money or something?

Just be happy that you'll be a doctor and an asset to society, because no, that's not the type of cash that I would go to school for.

C'mon bro, 120k a year puts you in the 97th percentile.

That's (relatively speaking) a lot of money.

If I woke up tomorrow making 120k a year I would jump off the top of the Stratosphere.

:lol:

So disrespectful.

Just be happy that you'll be a doctor and an asset to society, because no, that's not the type of cash that I would go to school for.

If I woke up tomorrow making 120k a year I would jump off the top of the Stratosphere.

.....this is the kind of talk that makes me want to plot Ocean's 11 style robberies.....

.....this is the kind of talk that makes me want to plot Ocean's 11 style robberies.....

*Insert Nas Thiefs Theme Gif*

the way i see it is that im earning my degree, not paying for it. i set a goal out for myself along ago that i would get my BA. its was never about money, it was about having goal, same of which can be applied to anyone who wants something 

is there a job waiting for me at the end? probably not. but i paid my way through college with no loans or help from anybody. by doing that, i learned how to manage time and money, set my priorities, and how to be more resourceful. i will use all of that in my future endevors. moral of the story? keep working hard after you graduate 

I think with a lot of these stories about people graduating and struggling.. They don't take into account what exactly that person majored in and if they put forth any effort whatsoever to gain experience in that field.

Of course if you graduate with a degree in social science or art history and pretty much anything along those lines life is going to be one massive struggle as you make part time money and have to pay off debt if you decided to take it.

Pops told me straight up, if I majored in a liberal art expect to be in school till I obtained my masters minimum, as no one takes anyone with a liberal arts degree seriously if they just have their bachelors.

Majored in Finance because I'm hella interested, and even if I don't pursue a career in it what I learned can most likely can be applied to my daily life.

Major in something practical, minor in your dreams. If your dreams are practical, count yourself lucky.
Damn man, I'd love to build my own personal computer one day. But I love computers also. I remember way back in 2nd-3rd grade they had us using a real primitive version of Dreamweaver so I've been around them all my life, but it wasn't until Junior year in HS that I made up my mind that this is something that I want to do. I screwed up in HS a bit so I didn't get accepted into a university, but it was a blessing in disguise. 

As far as debt issues, most people need to take into account that Community College is sometimes the better option. Getting your AA or AS from a CC saves you two years of the money you would have to pay if you went to a university. I'm on the road to getting 2 AS degrees, it taken me a while to get it because of the amount of math classes I had to take, but I'm almost there. And soon I'll be transferring.

And I agree with the last thing you said. People need to choose their degrees carefully. I understand that some people truly want to major in things like Pan-African studies, Liberal Arts, Philosophy, and what not, but these days, it really isn't worth the potential debt you'll rack up and lack of jobs associated with it.

Last edited:
$120K is 3x more than I'd be thrilled to be making right now and I live in an expensive city (Boston) :lol:

That's fine, everyone will look @ it differently, as long as you're comfortable that's all that really matters.

My views on money are completely warped because I play poker for a living.

If you're asking me what I think is a lot per year, its probably like 10 million.

That might sound completely ridiculous to some people, but at the same time, there's people that would laugh in my face for thinking that 10 million a year is a lot.

You have dudes that make a million every time they sneeze.

Last edited by a moderator:
AyZee, which part of Boston you live in bruh? My aunt makes 30k a year, lives in Dorchester, and she living pretty comfortable right now. All depends on how you manage your money.

Majored in Finance because I'm hella interested, and even if I don't pursue a career in it what I learned can most likely can be applied to my daily life.

Damn man, I'd love to build my own personal computer one day. But I love computers also. I remember way back in 2nd-3rd grade they had us using a real primitive version of Dreamweaver so I've been around them all my life, but it wasn't until Junior year in HS that I made up my mind that this is something that I want to do. I screwed up in HS a bit so I didn't get accepted into a university, but it was a blessing in disguise. 

As far as debt issues, most people need to take into account that Community College is sometimes the better option. Getting your AA or AS from a CC saves you two years of the money you would have to pay if you went to a university. I'm on the road to getting 2 AS degrees, it taken me a while to get it because of the amount of math classes I had to take, but I'm almost there. And soon I'll be transferring.

And I agree with the last thing you said. People need to choose their degrees carefully. I understand that some people truly want to major in things like Pan-African studies, Liberal Arts, Philosophy, and what not, but these days, it really isn't worth the potential debt you'll rack up and lack of jobs associated with it.

Honestly it's not that difficult, almost like Legos. I think the hardest part is finding the hardware that won't conflict with your motherboard.

Similar feels with HS.. Skated by with a 2.1 GPA and a 24 ACT. Didn't learn a thing in high school and didn't really care. Finally realized what my life would be like if I continued to have that same attitude..

Always knew I was just as smart or smarter than most of the people around me without trying.. Didn't realize it till after I saw a couple of my friends I had in honors classes going all over the place while I stayed stuck in my city attending a local university. Just had a homie get arrested Saturday before he was about to rob someone. Gun charge and he's a minor.. So MIP on top of that. Could easily have chosen that path as well.

Helps put life in perspective. College really feels like the only way out of this. Not sure what I would be doing if I didn't decide to go this route.

Hoping if I deans list this semester and next semester I can finally make it out.

Last edited:
AyZee, which part of Boston you live in bruh? My aunt makes 30k a year, lives in Dorchester, and she living pretty comfortable right now. All depends on how you manage your money.
Damn 30K? We're doing pretty good living on something around there but 30K seems a bit low to be living on. I live in Cali also.

Word? Education isn't worth it? I thought knowledge was power. Anyways, I'm a 25 year old high school dropout, GED recipient with a felony on my record and is about to graduate and transfer with an A/S in Political Science, Economics, and Social Science. I feel I'm well on my way towards my goals. I'm in Honor's programs and a board member of my AGS chapter. I've hustled for everything I've ever owned and school was no different. I feel you get what you put in. It's a long road, but I can finally see some of that light at the end of the tunnel. I've met and talked to people in both fields I want to get into (Law & Sports Bar Ownership) and those people have given me much more insight than school has (I'm not in law school yet tho). So I understand you need to utilize YOURSELF in order to get ahead. To be honest if you feel you don't need education, do you, plenty have made it without it. But, I'm one of those people that NEEDED it because I shot myself in the foot in high school by dropping out and going the street route. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I think it's ignorant to just completely discredit either side because there's too much grey to it. Black n white TVs is played out b.

Damn 30K? We're doing pretty good living on something around there but 30K seems a bit low to be living on. I live in Cali also.

I mean it all depends on your lifestyle as well. I'm not saying she's ballin with her money. Comfortable as in she's good on her bills, she's not starving, she leaves aside a bit of money to spend, and she's happy.

People are so quick to blame the system as a whole for their own lack of success. The onus is on the individual not the college degree to get a decent job and build a career. Those who are disappointed by their lack of career advancement should examine their own choices in school, major, and effort put in. I think a lot of the people disappointed in their college education didn't value the actual process. They were too oriented with the result - getting the degree. That caused them to miss out on a lot of the learning, experience, and connections built throughout a college career.

Furthermore, I think it's pretty ridiculous that OP's only metric for success is money earned. Having that attitude is just setting one's self up for disappointment.

Plenty folks make half 120K are surviving. It's all about how you manage your money.

REAL TALK..... money can be made but you gotta put the work in. IF you gonna Hoop u gotta hoop everyday, if you gonna be a doctor you gotta study everyday, peep the video @ 3:20 til the end.... so real talk was spoken for some of gal, hood stars by yours truly.

Last edited:

OP makes it seem as if going to school stops you from becoming rich.

If you feel you would be rich without school, then what's stopping you from being rich with school?

See that's the problem right there.

Why you askin' all these questions? That's some Book Smart ****.

Cats who are Street Smart know better than that. They get it how they live and rarely ever fail in gaining success in life after the age of 40.
adding to this, derick rose went to college which caused him to get a 800 in the SATs (out of 2400), while kobe didnt go to college and he got 1080 (out of 1600). 

pretty easy to see that not only are cats who dont go to college street smart, they are also more book smart than these college going clowns

I got a higher SAT score than both of them.

Would say my street smarts is about as high as theirs was when they were still on them, and my book smarts are higher. I'm also in college. Continue discussion.

And you will earn far less than them.

It seems like a lot of younger people who have Bachelors or even Masters for that matter feel as if they are entitled to a well paying job just because they met the minimum requirements to receive those degrees.

Yeah, but when junior gets a BS degree in something that doesn't have a strong job outlook ie architecture, liberal arts, womens studies, business management etc etc --Do they really expect to get a high-paying job right out of undergrad?

95% of college kids don't even take the necessary steps needed to line up a job before graduation. They think just going to class and getting good grades will get you a job.

These same kids fail to realize how powerful networking, interning and leadership roles while seeking mentorship means to this whole "post-graduate hiring process".

I recruit for my company (VERY LARGE Private Equity firm in NYC) and I see so many kids who fit this model. It's laughable.

I don't blame them though, because they're ignorant about the process. It's not common knowledge and they weren't taught any of this.

And you will earn far less than them.

Foolish argument.

Kobe and Derrick Rose are professional basketball players. They're earning potential has very little to do with their intellectual capacity and more in line with their physical athletic ability.

Last edited:
Even if every college student got a degree in a field with a strong job market and kissed the right ***** along the way there would still be just as many in the position they are in now.

Back
Top Bottom