Can someone sell me on California? Vol. Peace out Texas :Update: USF?

I think I've made up my mind, I want to move to California. Texas just isn't meant for me. Don't get me wrong, I love my state. Great weather,beautiful (but dumb) girls, great property, great economy, but me and the people are just different.

From what I've heard and seen, California is just a lot more progressive. For me it feels like Texas is behind a few years in thinking in areas ofresearch, energy, and drug policy. Being from Texas I've always had a bias against Cali but I have to think objectively.

Is it really that expensive? Is it really that populated? Is traffic that bad in all cities? Are they really not as friendly? Why shouldn't I just jumpship and move to Cali.

Type of city I want to live in?
  • A city with a liberal atmosphere. This is a must, I'm not living in a conservative town anymore.
  • Good Hot weather
  • Not too dangerous
  • Not too expensive
  • Not crazy populated and with awful traffic (we can talk about this one)
  • Beautiful Girls
    pimp.gif
  • Nice parks/Camping grounds This is a must as well.
Can anybody help a Texas brother out and suggest me some cities....and if you're really helpful some good law schools
smile.gif

Edit: Some background info about myself.

Applying for Law school now for fall 2010.
Graduating early in the summer so I have a year of my life to do nothing before Law School.
Will have my Bachelors in Psy. I'm hoping I'll be able to get a department store job at adecent wage.

Update: University of San Fransisco law school is looking real good right now. Sofar that's my number one choice, so hopefully that'll be my city if I get in.

Originally Posted by SN DG

Sounds like northern California is the place for you.

cosign

With the information you've given I highly recommend you check out the Eastbay. Oakland, Berkeley, Albany, San Leandro, Hayward are all great. Expensivebut not on the same level as SF. You can find homes in some beautiful neighborhoods that are still in/border the hood so the prices aren't crazy.

Originally Posted by KanyeWestJayZ4life

• A city with a liberal atmosphere. This is a must, I'm not living in a conservative town anymore.
  • Good Hot weather
  • Not too expensive
  • Beautiful Girls
    pimp.gif
Can anybody help a Texas brother out and suggest me some cities....and if you're really helpful some good law schools
smile.gif

*Liberal atmosphere? Most definitely.

*Good weather, not hot. Winters are crap shoot, nice one day, @#%! the next. Socal it's sun every single day including winter and in the summers it'sway to hot for a Bay dude like myself so you might like that.

*Like I said, it's the Bay Area of course it's expensive but if you're smart and open to research it's more than manageable.

*Not razy populated at all. Oakland is the largest city in the eastbay and it's population might not even be over 400,000. Traffic really isn't aproblem except on the 238 in the mornings, same with going into SF during commute hours.

*Girls are nice. Not great, but better than average. Better than most places I guess. I'm in LA now and the differences is noticeable. (infavor of LA)

*Some of the best parks in the nation.

Just move to Austin...real liberal city...reminds me of cali... UT is a great school...great college atmosphere...

My mom used to live in San Jose, she always talks about how beautiful it was up there.

Actually it sounds like he needs to move to San Diego. It hits every single bullet point except for the "liberal atmosphere." San Diego isn'tvery liberal at all but I guarantee you it's more liberal than any place in Texas
laugh.gif

I still think the Bay Area is a better overall area though, especially if a "liberal atmosphere" is your top priority. It's very diverse, theweather is great (it's never really HOT though... you get a Mediterranean climate), there's lot of things to see and do, girls are
pimp.gif
, and it has nice parks and camping areas within an hour. The area, for the mostpart, is a bit expensive, and depending where you are, the traffic could be bad (but no where near as bad as LA.)

Have you ever considered Miami? I promise the girls down here won't disappoint.

Originally Posted by gescobe

Just move to Austin...real liberal city...reminds me of cali... UT is a great school...great college atmosphere...
I love Austin. It's hands down my favorite city in Texas and the city I currently plan on living. The thing Austin is the only city I couldlive in in Texas. I don't want to be limited to just one city.

Ive gone to California twice in the last year, which were my first two times.

I have a buddy who goes to USC, so I was in socal area the whole time.

I love it. As soon as I get myself where I need to be, im definitely moving out there. Its an exeperience that I know I wont be getting tired of anytime soon.

I live in sofla, if that matters.

Originally Posted by lu cash

No I haven't. I've always been afraid of it's perception for high crime rate. And it really doesn't look like my scene. I'mnot that much of a party guy. Do I have Miami wrong?
Originally Posted by DL2352

Actually it sounds like he needs to move to San Diego. It hits every single bullet point except for the "liberal atmosphere." San Diego isn't very liberal at all but I guarantee you it's more liberal than any place in Texas
laugh.gif

I still think the Bay Area is a better overall area though, especially if a "liberal atmosphere" is your top priority. It's very diverse, the weather is great (it's never really HOT though... you get a Mediterranean climate), there's lot of things to see and do, girls are
pimp.gif
, and it has nice parks and camping areas within an hour. The area, for the most part, is a bit expensive, and depending where you are, the traffic could be bad (but no where near as bad as LA.)
San Diego? I thought it was expensive? My friend was stationed their and that's what he said. How's the weather? Is it at all rainy? Ihate the rain.
I have heard that that was an amazing city and I've always wanted to visit it. I dunno why but I've always held the notion it was really populated.Maybe I need to check it out.

As far as Bay Area, really? I've always thought I wouldn't like it, but I've only based that off of silly trends I see. I don't know reallyanything about it. How's the crime rate? What cities would you recommend?

Thanks for all the responses. Can anybody tell me more about Northern Cali?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by purplehazze96

Originally Posted by SN DG

Sounds like northern California is the place for you.

cosign

With the information you've given I highly recommend you check out the Eastbay. Oakland, Berkeley, Albany, San Leandro, Hayward are all great. Expensive but not on the same level as SF. You can find homes in some beautiful neighborhoods that are still in/border the hood so the prices aren't crazy.

• Good Hot weather
  • Not too expensive
  • Beautiful Girls
    pimp.gif
smile.gif

*Liberal atmosphere? Most definitely.

*Good weather, not hot. Winters are crap shoot, nice one day, %*$% the next. Socal it's sun every single day including winter and in the summers it's way to hot for a Bay dude like myself so you might like that.

*Like I said, it's the Bay Area of course it's expensive but if you're smart and open to research it's more than manageable.

*Not razy populated at all. Oakland is the largest city in the eastbay and it's population might not even be over 400,000. Traffic really isn't a problem except on the 238 in the mornings, same with going into SF during commute hours.

*Girls are aight. Not great, not bad. Like anywhere else I guess. I'm in LA now and the differences is noticeable.

*Some of the best parks in the nation.
QFT
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by gescobe

I love Austin. It's hands down my favorite city in Texas and the city I currently plan on living. The thing Austin is the only city I could live in in Texas. I don't want to be limited to just one city.
True...Austin has all of your points (except the traffic, it sucks) but it is the only city in TX that comes close to cali
tired.gif

Move to The Bay. We have great weather, the best weed, beautiful women, the most liberal cities, and an overall friendly atmosphere. What more can you ask for.

Originally Posted by lu cash

No I haven't. I've always been afraid of it's perception for high crime rate. And it really doesn't look like my scene. I'm not that much of a party guy. Do I have Miami wrong?
Miami has actually calmed down a lot when it comes to crime, of course it all depends on where you go. But yeah you're right, we have a hugeparty scene and if that isn't you then maybe this city isn't for you.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Sac is trash. I have fam there and every minute I've spent there was a waste of my precious life. If you're up north and you're not in the Bay Idon't know what to tell you.
laugh.gif

Keep pouring in the opinions, I really appreciate it! Wiki is making Sacramento look real nice right now. I have to find out about the crime and traffic.

Edit: Not really want I wanted to see in terms of crime rate
I would say Sacramento has all of the things you listed. It gets REALLY hot though because its not really close to any real body of water. Notmuch to do out there either. Sacramento is to the Bay Area as Inland Empire is to Los Angeles Area.

IMO, the only reason a person would want to live in Sac is because they can't afford to live in the Bay Area.

The Bay Area is looking nice. What cities don't have too large of a population density there?

You guys have to be more specific. What cities do you mean by NorCal and such...?

Originally Posted by DL2352

Actually it sounds like he needs to move to San Diego. It hits every single bullet point except for the "liberal atmosphere." San Diego isn't very liberal at all but I guarantee you it's more liberal than any place in Texas
laugh.gif

I still think the Bay Area is a better overall area though, especially if a "liberal atmosphere" is your top priority. It's very diverse, the weather is great (it's never really HOT though... you get a Mediterranean climate), there's lot of things to see and do, girls are
pimp.gif
, and it has nice parks and camping areas within an hour. The area, for the most part, is a bit expensive, and depending where you are, the traffic could be bad (but no where near as bad as LA.)
San Diego? I thought it was expensive? My friend was stationed their and that's what he said. How's the weather? Is it at all rainy? I hate the rain.
I have heard that that was an amazing city and I've always wanted to visit it. I dunno why but I've always held the notion it was really populated. Maybe I need to check it out.

As far as Bay Area, really? I've always thought I wouldn't like it, but I've only based that off of silly trends I see. I don't know really anything about it. How's the crime rate? What cities would you recommend?

Thanks for all the responses. Can anybody tell me more about Northern Cali?
smile.gif
Parts of San Diego can be expensive. I'm pretty sure there are some nice areas around here that aren't THAT expensive. You'redefinitely not going to be finding Texas prices though anywhere in the major areas though. The weather is probably the best thing about San Diego. It'salways warm/hot. It rains for maybe a total of two-three weeks a year. The weather right now is a comfortable 75 degrees during the day where I'm at.

As for the Bay Area... Crime rate? Crime is only a problem in certain cities, most notably Oakland
laugh.gif
. The best city in the Bay is obviously San Francisco. It's diverse,extremely liberal, has tons of things to do and see, lots of great food, good public transportation system, one of the easiest cities to walk (the entire cityis basically 7x7 miles), etc. San Francisco is not a cheap city to live in at all though... Other cities in the area are: Berkeley, San Mateo, Daly City,Hayward, Fremont, Oakland, San Leandro, Union City... Those are the ones by the water anyways. There's also the South Bay but it's not really anycheaper to live down there (plus you're like an hour away from the city.)

One of the best things about the Bay Area is it's close proximity to other things. A couple hours away is Lake Tahoe and the snow, there's Napa valleynearby if you're into wine and really good Italian food
laugh.gif
, go downsouth an hour or two and you'll reach Santa Cruz with it's great beaches, a couple hours east and you'll hit Yosemite National Park...

edit: Sacramento
sick.gif
Honestly, it's worth the extra bit of money tolive in the Bay Area as opposed to that cesspool. No offense to anyone that lives there.

Originally Posted by In The Line For VIIs

I would say Sacramento has all of the things you listed. It gets REALLY hot though because its not really close to any real body of water. Not
much to do out there either. Sacramento is to the Bay Area as Inland Empire is to Los Angeles Area.

IMO, the only reason a person would want to live in Sac is because they can't afford to live in the Bay Area.

I.E.>>>>>>>>>>Sac

Also OP, please don't let Oakland's bad rap fool you. Crime in Oakland really isn't as bad as it's made out at all.

Im from Houston and live here now but I was stationed I Cali a long time. I remember my rent being 1500/mo in chula vista. So I dropped that and bought atownhouse in houston for 30,000 w/ 300/ mo payments then I rented it out for 600/mo. I wanted a truck and I dont believe in buying new I stick to used as longas I can get a manufactuers extended warranty. This was back in 2004 and I was at a Cali dealer and they wanted 28k for a used 00 v6 chevy silverado w/ 50kmiles and 22" rims and a alpine radio. I left there flew to houston and got a 2001 GMC Sierra C3 ( this is pretty much a denali) for 22k. The only thingcheap in cali is the food. Its so expensive there evryone shops at the flea market. Unless you have more roommates than you have bedrooms or you dont haverent. It takes the average person 10 years before they can buy there first house.

What is your plan? Do you think you're just going to save up a paycheck or 2, move out there all cold turkey, find a job, and be all good? Because likesomeone mentioned, cost of living between Texas and California (especially the Bay and Norcal like all these people are going to suggest) are not even close. Imean literally, let's say you have a job offer on hand, 80k. 80k in Texas is not ballin, but definitely you can get a nice house/apartment in a niceneighborhood. In California, especially the Bay, not so much. In Santa Barbara, people are paying 1500$ for 1 bedroom studios. That's where they had thatthing where high paid business professionals are electing to live in their cars and some people are making special parking lots for them. My parents'mortgage on this over 5k sq ft house on half an acre (and could have easily been bigger if my Dad weren't such a doofus dead set on this malfittingneighborhood) is only like 1050$

Back
Top Bottom