Candyman (2020) | "Spiritual Sequel" To The Original | US Release Date: 8/27/21

Waiting for the Jeremy Jahns review
So far 6.6 on imdb based on 1k reviews.....will probably go lower
Not looking great

I wanna share a story with you guys.m

I’ll do it when the sun comes up.

stay tuned. It’s real wild.

Gonna watch it tonight.

For those who might not know. Candyman was originally based off a particular incident that happened in Cabrini Green back in 1987. A woman named Ruthie May McCoy called the police saying that someone was trying to get through her bathroom mirror. Police showed up but no one answered. They left but came back the next day after neighbors complained about her absence. It would take another day before they eventually broke down the door. They found her laying on the floor dead with 4 gunshot wounds. Someone had entered her apartment through the mirror.

candyman-cabrini-green-true-story-steve-bogira-chicago-reader-ruthie-mae-mccoy.jpg

The article from 1987

Candyman :emoji_fire:

They did the OG justice. Story was on point. Laughs were legit. I appreciated the Chicago backdrop and all the on location shots. There's a good amount to unpack with this movie. They put a lot of thought into it. RT scores on point. Definitely worth the watch.

SPOILER:

So, I get that Candyman was supposed to be a symbolic coping mechanism for atrocities that were committed against black folk.
But, who was responsible for the killings occurring during the movie?
Was it the original Candyman (Tony Todd)
Or, was it Sherman
Did the crazy black dude from Cabrini that was pulling strings behind the scenes really see his sister get slaughtered by Sherman?
I thought that the killings were done very well aside from the art critic/journalist.
She of all people deserved a more in-your-face demise, and I felt like they could’ve done something more intense while she was in her bathroom, but I get it.
Overall, as a huge fan of the OG as well as Farewell to the Flesh, I was satisfied with this sequel.

Dope way to sync the first movie with the current. But yeah, the first was way scarier. Idk if it was the jects and I’m throwing shade at the new gentrified new version. But to me the scary parts were always in the jects 😂

Movie seemed rushed.

and I didn't really think it did the OG justice. In the OG anybody could get it. In this, they made Candyman out to be Black Panther.

They beat you over the head with the message instead of having any sort of thrills or horror. They totally changed the whole tone on Jordan Peele ****.

SPOILER:

So, I get that Candyman was supposed to be a symbolic coping mechanism for atrocities that were committed against black folk.
Or, was it Sherman
Did the crazy black dude from Cabrini that was pulling strings behind the scenes really see his sister get slaughtered by Sherman?
I thought that the killings were done very well aside from the art critic/journalist.
She of all people deserved a more in-your-face demise, and I felt like they could’ve done something more intense while she was in her bathroom, but I get it.
Overall, as a huge fan of the OG as well as Farewell to the Flesh, I was satisfied with this sequel.
Nah candy man is actually real, basically every atrocity committed against black people spawns a mew incarnation of candy man and furthers the legend for the next generation. stuff like the bathroom killings and art exhibit couldn’t have been Sherman.

But that is also disconnected from the dude trying to jumpstart the rumor mill again. He was trying to create another candy man that was killed by police and have another new urban legend. It could’ve been more cohesive and done better in that aspect.

also I like how unlike the previous ones, candy man isn’t just killing white and black people indiscriminately. He’s more of a “racial avenger” lol in a sense now

Movie seemed rushed.

and I didn't really think it did the OG justice. In the OG anybody could get it. In this, they made Candyman out to be Black Panther.

They beat you over the head with the message instead of having any sort of thrills or horror. They totally changed the whole tone on Jordan Peele ****.
But that didn’t make sense in the first one. Why would candy man be killing black people when white folks were the ones who wronged him and they are the ones generally trying to enter his space by contacting him. White curiosity and naivety makes a better victim than black people from the projects

Yea it made for a “scarier” movie but we always called the OG a c o o n for that.

Wasn’t excited for this one until I saw Peele’s name. I already knew where he was gonna take it

Nah candy man is actually real, basically every atrocity committed against black people spawns a mew incarnation of candy man and furthers the legend for the next generation. stuff like the bathroom killings and art exhibit couldn’t have been Sherman.

But that is also disconnected from the dude trying to jumpstart the rumor mill again. He was trying to create another candy man that was killed by police and have another new urban legend. It could’ve been more cohesive and done better in that aspect.

also I like how unlike the previous ones, candy man isn’t just killing white and black people indiscriminately. He’s more of a “racial avenger” lol in a sense now

I get all that.
i'm simply seeking an explanation for the flashback for the dude that occurred towards the end of the movie.
the one where he is insisting on using the bathroom and his sister locks him out and does the chant.
and then he finds her slaughtered and sees the image of Sherman in the mirror.
that didn't make any sense to me in addition to the fact that the "figure" doing all of the killings in the movie was dressed like Sherman.
even though I enjoyed it, the more I think about this film, the more it comes off as a bit convoluted/rushed.
including Anthony's girlfriend's backstory with her dad's suicide made no sense and didn't add virtually anything to the story either.

I enjoyed the movie and was glad it was more focus on the story than scares. Felt like a light A24 movie.

I left the theaters confused in the past 10 or so minutes. I also felt the movie was somewhat incomplete and that it needed to be longer. I have to watch again but not sure if I want to.

SPOILER:

Or, was it Sherman

My guy LEARN how to use the damn spoiler tag.

For those who might not know. Candyman was originally based off a particular incident that happened in Cabrini Green back in 1987. A woman named Ruthie May McCoy called the police saying that someone was trying to get through her bathroom mirror. Police showed up but no one answered. They left but came back the next day after neighbors complained about her absence. It would take another day before they eventually broke down the door. They found her laying on the floor dead with 4 gunshot wounds. Someone had entered her apartment through the mirror.

candyman-cabrini-green-true-story-steve-bogira-chicago-reader-ruthie-mae-mccoy.jpg

The article from 1987

Interesting. I remember a girl posted series of tiktoks a few months back when she felt a cold draft coming from her bathroom mirror. Her and her friends wanted to see what was behind the wall, so they took the mirror off and it ended up being a passage way to a whole unfinished apartment. Apparently its a pretty common thing in NYC :lol:

Interesting. I remember a girl posted series of tiktoks a few months back when she felt a cold draft coming from her bathroom mirror. Her and her friends wanted to see what was behind the wall, so they took the mirror off and it ended up being a passage way to a whole unfinished apartment. Apparently its a pretty common thing in NYC :lol:
I believe I posted a thread about it. She had a whole three part tik tok series about it. That was wild that it was unfinished.

Back
Top Bottom