Candyman (2020) | "Spiritual Sequel" To The Original | US Release Date: 8/27/21

Since it's a black movie, it's not necessary for us to be messsaged to death in everything at every opportunity. When the movie would get away from it, here comes the bat beating us over the head again. We know about gentrification. We know about the police. We know about code switching and fitting in. It's a part of our reality and something we deal with a daily.

Over 35% of the people who saw this were black. Are you doing this for them, or us? And if I was them, I wouldn't know how to take it, because I'm wondering if a movie is going to make you change your ideologies you've had for your whole life.

I just want to be entertained sometimes. Not everything has to be a message. And it certainly didn't need to be so obvious. At times during the movie I was like we get it already, can I just get some kills, jump scares and entertainment. Movies are a escape from reality for two hours. That was Black Panther. You have Candyman and can't provide one jump scare?

It had a Spike Lee quality about it, but I don't even think he is as heavy handed besides something like Bamboozled.

Does Jordan Peele make movies with cheap jump scares? I don't really remember any at the moment.

Since it's a black movie, it's not necessary for us to be messsaged to death in everything at every opportunity. When the movie would get away from it, here comes the bat beating us over the head again. We know about gentrification. We know about the police. We know about code switching and fitting in. It's a part of our reality and something we deal with a daily.

Over 35% of the people who saw this were black. Are you doing this for them, or us? And if I was them, I wouldn't know how to take it, because I'm wondering if a movie is going to make you change your ideologies you've had for your whole life.

I just want to be entertained sometimes. Not everything has to be a message. And it certainly didn't need to be so obvious. At times during the movie I was like we get it already, can I just get some kills, jump scares and entertainment. Movies are a escape from reality for two hours. That was Black Panther. You have Candyman and can't provide one jump scare?

It had a Spike Lee quality about it, but I don't even think he is as heavy handed besides something like Bamboozled.
I mean jordan peele movies have those messages. So if you don’t wanna be best over the head don’t see his movies

I liked it.

Wasn't scary as the first but that was never going to happen for me. I saw the '92 Candyman when I was a kid.

I really liked the way this movie is tied into the first.

I enjoyed it. Felt like it provided some depth to the character and I liked the parallel of the monster that's created when black people are killed unjustly (pictures the media finds, past they dig up) and then often being forgotten even when the truth comes out (say there names) and candyman being a summation of that.

Is Sherman the 1st candyman in the history? I didn't think so but I ask because he was dressed as candyman before he was beaten to death by the cops which doesn't make sense to me unless he was the 1st. I may have missed that tho.

I just saw it today. Really liked the second half, shouldve been half an hour longer, all the scenes seem short and dont get time to ruminate
Hopefully the creative team does a sequel

Haven't watched it all. Halfway paid attention to the first 20 min. Will restart it.

Back
Top Bottom