Known Can't edit signature

It's been over a year since the new NT launched and we still can't edit signatures.

Why?
Signatures don't quite work the same way on our current platform as they did on the previous one. For space efficiency, signatures no longer display for users on mobile, which now accounts for the majority of page views. The new platform also did not have a comparable area for user awards, which we previously utilized for our charity badges. Prior to moving, we let everyone know that we intended to transfer all badges to the new site as soon as we were able.

To restore the badges to their previous place, in the user signature area, we need to replace the existing signature area with badges. At the time we moved to the current platform, it was on the cusp of a major version upgrade, which would significantly change its core in ways that would be incompatible with custom code created for the then-current product. Thus, it made sense to wait for the newest version to release, and become stable, before beginning any inessential development projects.

In the meantime, we had successfully imported user signature data from the previous platform. Rather than toss out all of the existing signatures immediately, we chose to keep them until we needed to replace them with the charity badges, but with the caveat that users would be unable to manually edit them.

Rule violations in signatures - like referral link spam or buy/sell ads outside of the designated buy/sell area - can have a broader effect than rule violations in posts, since a rule violation in a signature exists in EVERY post a user makes. Since the majority of users would not see these signatures, including staff members accessing the site from mobile devices, allowing user control of that area for the estimated 10-18 months needed to develop a charity badge solution didn't make a lot of sense to our team. It creates significant risk of abuse, yet offers little of substance in return. At best, a signature is like a vanity plate. In rare cases, you may come across one you find initially amusing, but the novelty fades quickly and, the rest of the time, you're really only concerned about your own, if you care at all.

Considering the confusion it's caused and the amount of time that it's taken for the latest build of the platform reach a point where we can consider custom development for inessential features, perhaps deleting all of the signatures from the start would've been better - but it was important to us, during a time when many were anxious about our forced move, to help everyone feel like their accounts and data were still whole.

Can you remove my signature Meth? and I've been trying to get the formerly known as utep2step sn under my new sn too.

Can you remove my signature Meth? and I've been trying to get the formerly known as utep2step sn under my new sn too.
Done. The "formerly known as" labels have to be manually applied, so we only did those through the first year on the new site to reduce the confusion associated with a large number of users all changing their names at once. They're now available by request only.

Back
Top Bottom