CARDS WERE ROBBED!! pics to prove it

- Holmes' catch was indeed a touchdown

- Warner's fumble was a fumble. In addition to the refs looking for the arm moving forward, they're also looking to see when the quarterback lostcontrol of the ball. Just because your hand is touching the ball when your arm is moving forward doesn't mean that you have control of it

- I don't believe that simply throwing the ball in the air is considered "excessive celebration" in the NFL (although it is in college, as JakeLocker found out), but using the ball as a prop, which Holmes clearly did, is. I could be wrong, so someone please correct me if I am. Between all thecelebration after the play, the refs conferring to discuss the play, the review afterwards, the fact that Holmes' using the ball as an imitation babypowder bottle took all of about one second and his back was to the refs while doing so, it's pretty easy to see how the refs might miss that call. Even thehead ref said that, had they seen the celebration, they would've flagged him for it. Of course, if you're one of the conspiracy theorists/sore loserswho want to believe that the refs had it in for the Cardinals, well, that's you.

The next point isn't directed at anyone in this thread, but just for the discussion of the Super Bowl in general...

- if you're going to complain about the non-call on Holmes' celebration, then there can be no complaining about the other "ticky-tack" callsduring the game. If you want the game called by the letter of the law, that's fine. If you want the refs to let minor infractions go and let the playersdecide the outcome, that's fine. But you can't have it both ways

- that being said, the roughing the passer call in the middle of the third quarter was absolutely horrible. Outside of that one call, see above

Originally Posted by PrurientSole

- Holmes' catch was indeed a touchdown

- Warner's fumble was a fumble. In addition to the refs looking for the arm moving forward, they're also looking to see when the quarterback lost control of the ball. Just because your hand is touching the ball when your arm is moving forward doesn't mean that you have control of it

- I don't believe that simply throwing the ball in the air is considered "excessive celebration" in the NFL (although it is in college, as Jake Locker found out), but using the ball as a prop, which Holmes clearly did, is. I could be wrong, so someone please correct me if I am. Between all the celebration after the play, the refs conferring to discuss the play, the review afterwards, the fact that Holmes' using the ball as an imitation baby powder bottle took all of about one second and his back was to the refs while doing so, it's pretty easy to see how the refs might miss that call. Even the head ref said that, had they seen the celebration, they would've flagged him for it. Of course, if you're one of the conspiracy theorists/sore losers who want to believe that the refs had it in for the Cardinals, well, that's you.

The next point isn't directed at anyone in this thread, but just for the discussion of the Super Bowl in general...

- if you're going to complain about the non-call on Holmes' celebration, then there can be no complaining about the other "ticky-tack" calls during the game. If you want the game called by the letter of the law, that's fine. If you want the refs to let minor infractions go and let the players decide the outcome, that's fine. But you can't have it both ways

- that being said, the roughing the passer call in the middle of the third quarter was absolutely horrible. Outside of that one call, see above

You are wrong. It is execessive celebration. (insert name) of the Vice President of NFL yada yada said yesterday that Holmes should have been penalized andmade mention of the officials who didn't do it. That official that commented back and said "We didn't see it because it happened so far after theplay was over."

Originally Posted by recognizAZ

dude can wish.... (sigh)

still hurts
frown.gif

i feel your pain... always like when the underdoggs win.. smh almost doesn't count...

I will never understand how a game with so many players on such a gigantic field at one time, with everyone fighting and running around, has the nerve to be sospecific and have so many rules.

i said the exact same thing when they were reviewing that play...it was pretty clear imo. but whatever. not against the pats so im not gonna complain
laugh.gif

EDIT: nevermind...pictures 10-12 show it's he had em down

Originally Posted by NyRapisBack

- I don't believe that simply throwing the ball in the air is considered "excessive celebration" in the NFL (although it is in college, as Jake Locker found out), but using the ball as a prop, which Holmes clearly did, is. I could be wrong, so someone please correct me if I am. Between all the celebration after the play, the refs conferring to discuss the play, the review afterwards, the fact that Holmes' using the ball as an imitation baby powder bottle took all of about one second and his back was to the refs while doing so, it's pretty easy to see how the refs might miss that call. Even the head ref said that, had they seen the celebration, they would've flagged him for it. Of course, if you're one of the conspiracy theorists/sore losers who want to believe that the refs had it in for the Cardinals, well, that's you.

You are wrong. It is execessive celebration. (insert name) of the Vice President of NFL yada yada said yesterday that Holmes should have been penalized and made mention of the officials who didn't do it. That official that commented back and said "We didn't see it because it happened so far after the play was over."
I understand that the NFL said that Holmes should have been penalized. My question is, again, for what? The shaking, or throwing the ball in theair? To my knowledge, they didn't clarify that. If you can still dunk the ball over the goal post, why would throwing it up in the air be any different?

Again, if it was just the "baby powder bottle" shaking that would've incurred the excessive celebration penalty, then it's easy to see howthe refs could miss that call: Holmes had his back to the field, it was performed while the refs were discussing the play, and it took all of one second. Ifsimply throwing the ball in the air is, for some ungodly reason, deemed to be excessively celebratory, then it makes the missed call look much worse, as hetossed that !#*@% a mile high.

You are wrong. It is execessive celebration. (insert name) of the Vice President of NFL yada yada said yesterday that Holmes should have been penalized and made mention of the officials who didn't do it. That official that commented back and said "We didn't see it because it happened so far after the play was over."
I understand that the NFL said that Holmes should have been penalized. My question is, again, for what? The shaking, or throwing the ball in the air? To my knowledge, they didn't clarify that. If you can still dunk the ball over the goal post, why would throwing it up in the air be any different?

Again, if it was just the "baby powder bottle" shaking that would've incurred the excessive celebration penalty, then it's easy to see how the refs could miss that call: Holmes had his back to the field, it was performed while the refs were discussing the play, and it took all of one second. If simply throwing the ball in the air is, for some ungodly reason, deemed to be excessively celebratory, then it makes the missed call look much worse, as he tossed that !#*@% a mile high.
For the shaking, bro. For the shaking.

If Vernon Davis can get penalized for setting his foot on the pylon then Holmes should get penalized for actually USING the football.

^ No doubt he should have been penalized, I just needed clarification as to what was "excessive": theshaking, or the whole shebang.

Unfortunately for the Cards, the penalty-worthy part of the celebration was pretty easy to miss.

Add this thread and that article to the long list of reasons I believe the state of Arizona has the worst fans out of all the states with pro teams.

Originally Posted by DEpast

Should've made the stop long before Santonio's grab.

Exactly what I was thinking... it shouldn't have ever come down to that play. The Cards had numerous oportunities to stop the Steelers. It seems prettypathetic to whine about one (or two) plays.

...and I was rooting for the Cards, and I hate Holmes.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by dland24

Add this thread and that article to the long list of reasons I believe the state of Arizona has the worst fans out of all the states with pro teams.

I was at the super bowl and the cards fans that were there were classy fans, but being on here reading and listening to the national sports radio showsI've changed my mind about their fans....at least it's a classy organization with classy players.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

I understand that the NFL said that Holmes should have been penalized. My question is, again, for what? The shaking, or throwing the ball in the air? To my knowledge, they didn't clarify that. If you can still dunk the ball over the goal post, why would throwing it up in the air be any different?

Again, if it was just the "baby powder bottle" shaking that would've incurred the excessive celebration penalty, then it's easy to see how the refs could miss that call: Holmes had his back to the field, it was performed while the refs were discussing the play, and it took all of one second. If simply throwing the ball in the air is, for some ungodly reason, deemed to be excessively celebratory, then it makes the missed call look much worse, as he tossed that !#*@% a mile high.
For the shaking, bro. For the shaking.

If Vernon Davis can get penalized for setting his foot on the pylon then Holmes should get penalized for actually USING the football.

It was clearely a penalty, regardless if he just "threw it in the air" he used the ball as a prop, thats not allowed.

Back
Top Bottom