Careers 9-5 Vol. Can you do it ?

im getting my degree in electrical engineering
pimp.gif
and im pretty sure i could expect nothing less than a 9-5. ive done it before in a summer job. you get usedto it.

the way i see it if you have something to look foward to after a long day's work then its all good (girl to smash/chill with, some friends to hang with).its money in your pocket anyways. being that this is NT, money for a fresh pair of kix.

Originally Posted by DearWinter219

Yeah, I might give the NBA a shot after NASA...who knows? __s just love to wake up on my !%@! though. Have a bagel, at least. Eat some breakfast. Watch a movie or something. Try getting a %#@%%+* hobby besides keeping up with what the +*%$ I'm doing. FTR, I'm also a full time college student. You guys happy now? Am I living my life to your standards well enough? Is it ok if I do me now? Thanks.
this is nt.....you say you want to sell drugs or rap as a career. what do you expect? people to cosign you with
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
?

and you love the attention, dont lie. who makes a thread titled "nt loves me" right after you were getting flamed in another thread? come one dude,you're not fooling anybody.

Originally Posted by YuraS718

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

All I know is that I do not want to be a retail pharmacist. Working 12 hour days
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
I worked in a pharmacy/drug store for years during hs/beginning of college. Some stores had different hours, but it was pretty much 40 hours total for the week. Werther it was 5 days 8 hour shifts 4 days 10 hr shifts or 3 days 12 hour shifts. Most of the pharmacist's I talked to enjoyed working those 3 days 12 hour shifts more than having to go in for 4-5 days. They get their work done all together and have more time to spend with their family and do what they wanted to do during the week. Especially during the summer.. 1 of the pharmacist worked 3 days a week and the other 4 she was poolside hanging out with her children. On top of all that pharmacists CAKE when it comes to salary
I guess a schedule like that is somewhat appealing, but the pharmacist I work with works Mon-Fri, 9-9, and Sat. 9-6.

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

Yeah, I might give the NBA a shot after NASA...who knows? __s just love to wake up on my !%@! though. Have a bagel, at least. Eat some breakfast. Watch a movie or something. Try getting a %#@%%+* hobby besides keeping up with what the +*%$ I'm doing. FTR, I'm also a full time college student. You guys happy now? Am I living my life to your standards well enough? Is it ok if I do me now? Thanks.
this is nt.....you say you want to sell drugs or rap as a career. what do you expect? people to cosign you with
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
?

and you love the attention, dont lie. who makes a thread titled "nt loves me" right after you were getting flamed in another thread? come one dude, you're not fooling anybody.
laugh.gif

Why are you so defensive? Just RELAX bruhh...it aint that serious, and it was never that serious (with reference to what Al Audi said which apparently sparkedyou up)...
ohwell.gif

Now as for the 9-5 question posed by the OP, here's my take on it--

First, understand that YOU DON'T have to work a 9-5 every day of the week and you certainly DON'T NEED TO WORK 100-120 hour weeks (no shots, just usingthis # only because it was mentioned). People find themselves in these unfortunate situations-- and I use the term unfortunate merely in reference to thosethat hate the 9-5 routine--because they've encumbered themselves with lifestyles that necessitate the continued influx of money--an amount of which, can besecured by working the aforementioned 9-5 routine.

Now there are clearly exceptions in this regard, especially when you realize that some professions, genuinely require a commitment of at least, 40hrs/week. Thesame cannot be said for the rest, however.

If you dream of living lavishly and luxuriously, knowingly or unknowingly, and you were not born into money and are lacking in those connections thateffectively thrust and propel individuals into those positions in life that are highly sought after, then expect to work that loathsome 9-5.

Second, and I'll be brief in this regard, if you're serious about loving what you do, and not hating the 9-5, then it's in your best interest tofind your PASSION. Discovery of one's passion, is the difference between working a JOB, and working a CAREER.

The dictionary will tell you that "JOB" and "CAREER" are synonymous, and thus, tantamount. But you couldn't be further from the truth.A 9-5 "JOB" is what you hate to get up for in the morning, and can't wait to leave once you get there, and the clock starts ticking. A 9-5"CAREER" is an oxymoron--why--because when you're working a career, doing something you genuinely love, there really isn't enough time in theday to accomplish all that you would hope for.

A "JOB" is stagnant, while a "CAREER" is both progressive, and continuously nurturing every second of the day, every minute of the week,and every hour of the month. So chances are, if you're hating your 9-5, it's because it's you're working a "JOB" which merelyfunctions to pay for your lifestyle, and not a "CAREER", or something you're genuinely passionate about.

I've yet to graduate college--going on my 6ixth year come fall semester--because I recently, finally, discovered what I'm truly passionate about andI'm now working on molding that into a "CAREER". In the future, when I finally matriculate into the working world, I plan on working a 9-5--atthe very least. I know I wont mind though because I'll be doing something I truly enjoy...

Originally Posted by SuperAntigen

you certainly DON'T NEED TO WORK 100-120 hour weeks (no shots, just using this # only because it was mentioned).
nah you're totally right and outside of a few people nobody does, especially not when it's from one job.

but the way i see it.....it sets me up for some serious $$ later down the line.

and then i can keep making money if i like it, and if i don't then i can retire and find something i love.

I just started working 9-5 this week. It's been interesting. I actually like the people I work with so I don't mind it. And there's so much to dothat the time just flies by. It's not like I have time to think about how bored I am.

Originally Posted by Al Audi

ya know who else has TERRIBLE hours

the life of a car salesman

geezus i dunno how they work like that, i remember a girl told me way back she was sellin mini coopers and she was workin from 8-8 like everyday
I work at a car dealer and the hours are flexible
mon-friday 9-5 1-9 depends saturdays 9-6 and last sundays 12-6
pimp.gif

but i work 8-5 washing cars so I can't do it anymore

Service advisors isn't where it's at either. At my mercedes dealer, the advisors usually work 7am to either 6 or 7 pm. They don't get paidovertime, and on top of that, they have to put up with so much crap from management, customers,etc.

Originally Posted by kevin2nd

i work in primarily in an office all day. full benefits. make decent money (80k+). 10 minute drive from my apartment (that i'm paying a mortgage on - not renting). beats the hell out of busting my back in the hot sun all damn day. going online helps. ergonomics helps. napping in the chair helps. reading a magazine on the crapper helps. servicing my fishing reels at the desk helps. game emulators help. truthfully though, just trying to waste time makes things go by slower than if i actually do work.......but that still doesn't stop me from doing more time wasters than actual work. let me illustrate how i use my time (looking busy is stuff like making fake graphs *see below* and typing emails to your friends or getting on aim/ time wasting is way more blatant like feet on the desk eating popcorn with your eyes closed or strumming on a guitar).

1zvaf00.jpg

14bt6rb.jpg

2ut53ew.gif

that graph was a slam dunk... lol....

I'm pretty sure most weeks as I-bank analysts are in the 80-100 hour range, and it gets to 100+ only a few times a year. Yea, I'm looking into doingthat too for 2 years and hopefully switching to PE or VC down the line.

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
?

and you love the attention, dont lie. who makes a thread titled "nt loves me" right after you were getting flamed in another thread? come one dude, you're not fooling anybody.

everytime dearwinter starts to speak...
Cop_assaults_cyclist-478.gif

Originally Posted by gORJESS

I have been thinking lately about my future. My plan was always to go into advertising. I just finished up and submitted my application to the school I have wanted to go to for years (Advertising major).

Been working in an office for a while now and its horrible. I count the hours and I can't wait to get out of here. I am beyond exhausted by the time I get home so by then my day is over. I am afraid that I will feel the same way when/if I get into advertising.
Being in the office all day, same routine every single day - no life on the week days... I don't know if that's what I want for myself.

Who here has a career that's a basic 9-5? Do you enjoy it? If you could go back, and change your career would you?
What about anyone who has a career with different hours, different days every week? (Nurses, retail managers etc)
My tip is, if you like what you're doing, and it pays well, then do it, otherwise don't. I work from 9am to 1am; my job pays well, and Ienjoy what I am doing, as well as looking forward to what Ill be doing in a few years, that drives me. And no, I wouldn't change a thing.

I like my job, just got a promotion and profit sharing is the next step.
I am motivated and every day is unique.

I still goto work late however, lol.
if you're doing something even remotely related to something you love you'll stay (I believe)
I know kids that started as Djs, went into production, engineering and might become A & Rs, just because they love music and want to learn everything aboutit.
Money pays bills and it all starts to connect.

Can't wait to get a 9-5 or a career. Working third shift is terrible and since I know my job is only a "job" I know their is no long termcommitments. I've always imagined a career is something that you like to do so it never really seems like work. I need something like this
tired.gif

Back
Top Bottom