Cars similar to vw golf.

Hey guys I am looking for cars under 5000 which are similar to a golf. I was also wondering what the reliability and maintenance cost are as well for a golf from year 2001 to 2005.
If anyone can help, it would be appreciated. I would be using the car mainly for work (upto 150km a day).

Honestly it depends on the year of the golf and the previous owner.

ive seen MK4s (golfs / gtis from 2000-2005) have nothing but problems and seen some with no issues.

it really depends on the previous owner thought if they kept up with maintenance and how they drove the car.

around 100K is when the timing belt needs to get changed, you have problems with the o2 sensors, coil packs and water pumps just to name some small things.

my first golf i got at a little over 100K and had to change the timing belt, did a tune up, changed the wheel bearings and the catalytic conveter and thats pretty much it, drove it hard for about 3 years till it was totaled in an accident, didnt have any problems other than what i changed.

my current gti ima have to do the timing belt soon, my catalytic is shot and my alternator i changed when i bought the car.

european cars are expensive to maintain, esp older vdubs because almost all the parts at this point have to come from the dealer.

in all honest, you need a mechanic you can trust, my timing from my dude ran about $400, everyone else qouted me $700+

still love Vdubs, aint much like it
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Thanks for the input.

I have had a 97 civic coupe for about 4 years. Just changed the clutch and did the regular maintenance and it's still running.
but I recently got a job in which I will be doing lots of driving and need a steady car. The civic just hit 300km and I should
Probably retire it cuz its also killing me on insurance cuz its a coupe. I live in Toronto btw, insurance is crazy high for drivers
Under 25 here.

If not a golf, then are there any other cars I should look at within that price range?

Back
Top Bottom