Catch 22 In The Professional World

Salutations people. I'm sittin here at work looking on different entrepreneur sites and decided to make a thread where we come together as young professionals to overcome the issues we face in regards to employment. More specifically I'm referring to the issue of not getting a job due to lack experience but having lack of experience because you can't get a job to gain that experience. For us that are out of school it's tougher to get internships in the field we want. What advice could we offer one another to help us overcome this issue, especially our brethren in the Jobless thread?

Salutations people. I'm sittin here at work looking on different entrepreneur sites and decided to make a thread where we come together as young professionals to overcome the issues we face in regards to employment. More specifically I'm referring to the issue of not getting a job due to lack experience but having lack of experience because you can't get a job to gain that experience. For us that are out of school it's tougher to get internships in the field we want. What advice could we offer one another to help us overcome this issue, especially our brethren in the Jobless thread?

Bruh, this ish right here effs my brain up more than anything else! :smh:

Be having me like...

View media item 786879

Bruh, this ish right here effs my brain up more than anything else! :smh:

Be having me like...

View media item 786879

You shaming us NYers right now.

^ probably my biggest regret in graduating college was not doing internships or networking :smh: i found my own path now but it was definitely a struggle at first

I was going to type out a big wall of text but I decided not to. Bottom line is know what you want to do and start ASAP.

If you start to get your experience late, you're going to be late to the party in general. Don't waste your time working dead end jobs while in college that have nothing to do with your goals.

Last edited:
This is really a prevalent problem in today employment marketplace. There's a lot of factors causing it, which can be expounded upon, but I won't go into it. I will say that your best bet is to increase your networking efforts and to fluff out your resume. Whatever skills you have or jobs you've done you need to talk them up to make them seam as broad and encompassing as possible. Also, don't think that because you don't fit the qualifications that you shouldn't apply. Apply anyway. Sometimes an employer looking to cut corners might make an exception b/c they know that with less experience they can offer less pay.

And while I don't suggest it, I will say that there's a growing population of people who are outright lying on their resumes. What people are doing is lying on their resumes to get jobs they don't have experience for, working there for 6 - 12 months and then using that gained experience to move on to other jobs they don't have to lie for. Dishonest, but I can't knock the hustle.

That's why your supposed to get internships / network during school so you'll have a leg up when you graduate.

With hundreds of kids graduating every semester with the same degree what makes you different and stand out?
You're stating the obvious, but it's not realistic for most.

With hundreds of thousands of College Students going after only Hundreds of Internships in their Field... most are on the Outside Looking In.

It's even Worse Odds for Minority Students.

I was able to land an internship, but I didn't get it until WELL AFTER (almost 4 yrs) College. I was able to finally get an Internship/Apprenticeship with the company (3 Stripes) that I was turned down from atleast 8 times. The Swoosh turned me down atleast 10-12 times from 2006-2012... I literally had an Email Folder with about 35 Rejection Letters from about 10 diff. companies/teams, etc). Persistance prevailed, because I knew what I wanted to do & I wasn't taking "No" for answer. But even then, if I didn't already know someone who worked for 3 Stripes through previous Freelance work I did for him... I may have not got it afterall!

Often times, it has to be a Perfect Storm of:

1.) Where You Went to School

2.) Awesome Portfolio

3.) Politics of Work History

4.) WHO YOU KNOW

It's just NOT That Simple, bruh. 
mean.gif

Last edited:
I was going to type out a big wall of text but I decided not to. Bottom line is know what you want to do and start ASAP.

If you start to get your experience late, you're going to be late to the party in general. Don't waste your time working dead end jobs while in college that have nothing to do with your goals.

I agree. This is definitely helpful for those still in college. I had my plan all mapped out with law school being my goal. Took years, money, and an "Aha"Moment to realize it was a foolish investment. long story short, I'm in a place where I'm learning more about myself professionally.

One of my Professors always says that when a company list requirements for 2-3 years of experience is more of what they really want but know that wouldn't get. They are looking for employees so you should apply anyway.

The crazy thing is with the way the job market is now its even ppl graduating with the internships/ networking that you might need but still have to struggle for a bs job..right now i think its more about timing and who can hook you up/ get you info than anything else

This is really a prevalent problem in today employment marketplace. There's a lot of factors causing it, which can be expounded upon, but I won't go into it. I will say that your best bet is to increase your networking efforts and to fluff out your resume. Whatever skills you have or jobs you've done you need to talk them up to make them seam as broad and encompassing as possible. Also, don't think that because you don't fit the qualifications that you shouldn't apply. Apply anyway. Sometimes an employer looking to cut corners might make an exception b/c they know that with less experience they can offer less pay.

And while I don't suggest it, I will say that there's a growing population of people who are outright lying on their resumes. What people are doing is lying on their resumes to get jobs they don't have experience for, working there for 6 - 12 months and then using that gained experience to move on to other jobs they don't have to lie for. Dishonest, but I can't knock the hustle.
Yeah I've heard that as well. I'm afraid to do it, but props to the people who have and had it work out.
One of my Professors always says that when a company list requirements for 2-3 years of experience is more of what they really want but know that wouldn't get. They are looking for employees so you should apply anyway.
This. I apply for jobs where I dont meet the years required experience, when I'm around 1 or 2 years lower, the worst that can happen is they say no.

Bruh, I've been doing this same exact thing for the past month and I've already seen more positive results

View media item 787018

For those lying on resumes, what happens when a company does a background check? For my current employer, the background check company called/emailed several of my previous employers

You need to be resilient. Took me six months to find a placement; I thought I would never find one.

Bruh, I've been doing this same exact thing for the past month and I've already seen more positive results
Care to go into more detail? How much have you lied about? Are you just exaggerating the truth, or are these flat out lies?

Define "more positive results " how far have you gotten in the job hunt riding the wave of these lies?

I am very interested in this.

Find a way to get a certification in SOMETHING.  Even if its MS Office proficiency. 

I can only say what has worked for me and ppl I know.  If you can get a cert that's related to the field you're in, you're MONEY.

Every job I've ever had I was the youngest person in the group, and it's because I'm the only one with the certification.  And I didn't even finish school.

Find a way to get a couple extra hundred dollars, even if it means no Lebrons and microwave dinners for some months.  Take those courses, get books and B&N, do whatever you gotta do, but I'm telling you, that CERT, if you get that man, it'll change your life.

For those lying on resumes, what happens when a company does a background check? For my current employer, the background check company called/emailed several of my previous employers

Yea, that's makes me a little uneasy as well. I've gotten to a point where I was about to lie on an application but then I backed out. Didn't want to risk being exposed and blackballedblackballed.

One thing I'm doing now is padding myself with diverse certs and education and trying to start my own business. It's tough out here. My job now, everybody has 10+years in and it's a while bunch of women. Even if I wanted to move up, the way they play it, seniority gets the nod so is have to wait 40+yrs, can't do it.

I feel like for the most part, our generation has to educate ourselves more about the works and how it operates in order to maneuvermaneuver through it. It's an uphill Battle for those of us who haven't found our niche in society

I've lied on my resume before.  The biggest thing I lied about is the amount of time I've spent at a specific job, and anything I've done outside of employment related to the job.  Like volunteer work at an office in a similar field.  Oh, and the references.  Some years ago, most my references were just friends that knew how to speak proper english.  I would just tell them, if you get a call from such and such number, just tell them you're the director of blah blah blah and you supervised me on blah blah blah project.

Hope this helps

Care to go into more detail? How much have you lied about? Are you just exaggerating the truth, or are these flat out lies?

Define "more positive results " how far have you gotten in the job hunt riding the wave of these lies?

90% of my resume is a lie now, strictly entry level type stuff. I haven't been getting super amazing results but I've noticed that I'm getting warmer responses from potential employers now. Jobs that I'm pretty sure wouldn't hit me back up had I not have this bloated up resume are at least contacting me, that's a start.

I don't eem care either, I'm doing it for a good reason. I can't be almost 21 asking moms for money and to take care of me, and I damn sure not trying to be one of those dudes 27 and living with moms. My plan is to get a job this month and save up at least 7,000 for a down payment on an apartment by December.

2014 is my year, let's get it.

Find a way to get a certification in SOMETHING.  Even if its MS Office proficiency. 

I can only say what has worked for me and ppl I know.  If you can get a cert that's related to the field you're in, you're MONEY.

Every job I've ever had I was the youngest person in the group, and it's because I'm the only one with the certification.  And I didn't even finish school.

Find a way to get a couple extra hundred dollars, even if it means no Lebrons and microwave dinners for some months.  Take those courses, get books and B&N, do whatever you gotta do, but I'm telling you, that CERT, if you get that man, it'll change your life.

What types of certs?

Can't say I haven't resorted to bending the truth on my resume. :rolleyes

90% of my resume is a lie now, strictly entry level type stuff. I haven't been getting super amazing results but I've noticed that I'm getting warmer responses from potential employers now. Jobs that I'm pretty sure wouldn't hit me back up had I not have this bloated up resume are at least contacting me, that's a start.

I don't eem care either, I'm doing it for a good reason. I can't be almost 21 asking moms for money and to take care of me, and I damn sure not trying to be one of those dudes 27 and living with moms. My plan is to get a job this month and save up at least 7,000 for a down payment on an apartment by December.

2014 is my year, let's get it.
Dude I totally feel you, no judgments from me. I can't say that I have lied before, but I understand why people do, and couldn't say that I would never.

To some extent "bending the truth" on your resume isn't a big deal to me, I feel like almost all resumes have exaggerations of their duties and what they have or have not done.

Last edited:

I have a MS Office Word certificate from summer of 2009, it's one of the things on my resume that's true. It does get me responses but it doesn't get me hired.

These jobs be wanting considerable experience in Office Word, Excel, QuickBooks and all types of stuff. I'm still gonna get my certificates in all of them though.

What types of certs?

Can't say I haven't resorted to bending the truth on my resume. :rolleyes

Whatever will benefit u. CompTIA, Microsoft, Apple, Project Management, ediscovery,etc.

I've learned that it looks good on a resume and sounds good to know you are working on you and are self-motivated

Another good thing to do is to use the web to your advantage. There's a lot of tutorials out there that can help you learn programs you may need in a role. You don't need to be an expert most of the time in these entry level roles, just competent. Competency in most of these programs is an afternoon on youtube away.

Back
Top Bottom