Catch 22 In The Professional World

UI

Just building ROMs from a CM base, cherry picking features and building them into my own project. This was back when the Nexus One released, I stopped the development stuff after Gingerbread because it wasn't going anywhere for me.

I'm not trying to talk down to you but still that is a weak portfolio if you're looking for a job. Making roms isn't an employable skill, writing program are. If you had a portfolio of java applications or lets say c programming, skills that you could use in the workplace I don't think you'd have that problem. What you were doing was a more of a hobby.

i know man, last week, some guy came into one of my college organization's meetings for the sole purpose of asking my buddy about the research work he did under a professor which he listed on his LinkedIn.

Hate it or love it, but it was always who you knew when you were transitioning jobs/careers after a break or something. Those that had great connections had a smooth transition, and others had the struggle of their lives. Might as well make use of it. Plus, headhunters will start prospecting you through linkedin if you get into the right field.

Last edited:
LinkedIn =/= social media.

Good point about resume parsing used by HR. You could have the best resume and it'll never be seen because the proper keywords aren't in it.

LinkedIn =/= social media.

Good point about resume parsing used by HR. You could have the best resume and it'll never be seen because the proper keywords aren't in it.
Someone posted a website that into great detail about this and have a list of phrases that should be in your resume based of the job you want. I wish I remembered the name of it.

Someone posted a website that into great detail about this and have a list of phrases that should be in your resume based of the job you want. I wish I remembered the name of it.
I think I have it bookmarked. Will check once I get home and if I have it Ill share it.

I think I have it bookmarked. Will check once I get home and if I have it Ill share it.
Man if you do that would be the greatest thing ever.

I'll be waiting as well.

This?

http://www.resumeworld.ca/resume_best_practices/resume-keywords/accounting-resume-keywords.html

It definitely is. I have been trying to leave the state for months now and the same thing always happens. 

-HR rep calls
-Discuss my resume
-Ask me where am I located because my resume has my grandmothers address on it but I'm still currently working in GA
-Explain, even state that I would be paying my own travel in the event that I get an in person interview to help alleviate some of their apprehension in considering me.
-All downhill from there

Lost out on a job with the firm I would want to work for more than any other because of this. I'm about ready to give up on leaving the state and just accept it.
So you had an address other than the one you lived at listed? I imagine that was a red flag for the company. They caught you in a lie - in their eyes.

It definitely is. I have been trying to leave the state for months now and the same thing always happens. 

-HR rep calls

-Discuss my resume

-Ask me where am I located because my resume has my grandmothers address on it but I'm still currently working in GA

-Explain, even state that I would be paying my own travel in the event that I get an in person interview to help alleviate some of their apprehension in considering me.

-All downhill from there

Lost out on a job with the firm I would want to work for more than any other because of this. I'm about ready to give up on leaving the state and just accept it.
So you had an address other than the one you lived at listed? I imagine that was a red flag for the company. They caught you in a lie - in their eyes.
I mean its my grandmothers house. Before when I was using my current address I couldnt even get phone calls from out of state places. Once I changed my resume to my grandmothers house, the calls started. IDK if I can consider it a lie per se, that is an address that I can readily make my home. It was either that, or have my out of state resume passed over time after time after time especially when it comes to contract positons, they dont care about out of state applicants at all. You make a very good point though, I may have to change it back becuase I know for a fact that one place didnt like that, and it was the place I wanted the most.

Man if you do that would be the greatest thing ever.
I'll be waiting as well.

This?

http://www.resumeworld.ca/resume_best_practices/resume-keywords/accounting-resume-keywords.html
It was like this, except they gave you the key words by clicking on the positons, free of charge. I

Last edited:
timbo109 timbo109 antidope antidope That's the problem I have. There are some foolish people in the world, but if you're qualified, these companies could at least call to see what your intentions are for applying for a position out of state. Who is dumb enough to move to another state w/o a source of income coming in? That's where I'm at right now. I want to move to NC or even ATL but can't get a call back for an interview. Just get the same generic emails talking about they've found somebody else.

Sorry guys, It looks like I don't have it
frown.gif
Annoying_no_gif.gif

That's why your supposed to get internships / network during school so you'll have a leg up when you graduate.

With hundreds of kids graduating every semester with the same degree what makes you different and stand out?

It's not that simple, I grew up with a single mom, had to work 20+ hours a week to support myself during school, mom couldn't afford a laptop or a car to facilate my internship options. I had the ultimate battle, that strggle helped me build my career now, work from home, 30hrs a week and 6 figures. Now it's time for my son to have it easy.

timbo109 timbo109 antidope antidope That's the problem I have. There are some foolish people in the world, but if you're qualified, these companies could at least call to see what your intentions are for applying for a position out of state. Who is dumb enough to move to another state w/o a source of income coming in? That's where I'm at right now. I want to move to NC or even ATL but can't get a call back for an interview. Just get the same generic emails talking about they've found somebody else.
ARe the jobs you are applying for (out of state) requiring cover letters?
Why not explain in the cover letter your situation? That's where you can embellish a little and explain how G-ma lives in the city where you're applying and that you already have this huge network there and that you'd cover your own moving costs etc.

@timbo109 @Antidope That's the problem I have. There are some foolish people in the world, but if you're qualified, these companies could at least call to see what your intentions are for applying for a position out of state. Who is dumb enough to move to another state w/o a source of income coming in? That's where I'm at right now. I want to move to NC or even ATL but can't get a call back for an interview. Just get the same generic emails talking about they've found somebody else.
ARe the jobs you are applying for (out of state) requiring cover letters?
Why not explain in the cover letter your situation? That's where you can embellish a little and explain how G-ma lives in the city where you're applying and that you already have this huge network there and that you'd cover your own moving costs etc.
I'll try it. My go-to story is that I am from there and that this job was what caused me to move out of state in the first place and now I'm trying to get back.

Another good thing to do is to use the web to your advantage. There's a lot of tutorials out there that can help you learn programs you may need in a role. You don't need to be an expert most of the time in these entry level roles, just competent. Competency in most of these programs is an afternoon on youtube away.

lynda.com

I just searched "Niketalk Resume" on Google, Slade Wilson
roll.gif

Forgot that dudes only purpose was to troll the resume threads.

Been looking on Indeed for entry level business analyst positions. It's like they don't exist :smh: I need out of PA

Bump. Looking thru the old threads I subscribed to and want to know everyone did on their resumes they stretched the truth on. 
nerd.gif

...cuz I could use the help lol

I think NT should have a hotline where certain NT'ers offer to be "references" for other NT'ers....could be for a cost...or free....

Yea Excel is tricky but once you mess with it a lil bit you should be good...Now PowerPoint on the other hand is super basic, i was a wiz at that by like 9th grade
laugh.gif
, the older ppl def do struggle with it somehow tho so i end up having to do all the presentations
Excel and Powerpoint isn't as easy as you're describing it. There are some projects that can contain very sophisticated macros and models in Excel and Powerpoint. It really depends on what you're doing.

Hell, even knowing all the keyboard shortcuts isn't a walk in the park. If you guys want a real challenge using Excel--Try using it without a mouse
laugh.gif

Took me at least 8 months to learn how to efficiently use Excel without a mouse. Now I only exclusively use Excel with a keyboard.
One of my bosses will start stating keyboard shortcuts to me whenever he sees me use my mouse.

Back
Top Bottom