Catch 22 In The Professional World

heyguys, lets all just move to UAE, kuwait, or saudia arabia and teach english to kids and make 3-4 g's per month
TAX FREE :nthat: :nthat: :nthat:

do hiring managers check social media like they say they do in news articles, and is it really a big deal?

I know people who have unprotected twitter accounts boasting about how they're "at the career fair, about to get dat paper" with no pseudonyms in their account names. :smh:

do hiring managers check social media like they say they do in news articles, and is it really a big deal?

I know people who have unprotected twitter accounts boasting about how they're "at the career fair, about to get dat paper" with no pseudonyms in their account names.
mean.gif
Yes, yes they do.

And some of them friends you got on Facebook are really just spies and such for these companies. And don't think just cause your IG is blocked or your Twitter is on private, that they can't see what you have behind closed doors. 

I know people who have unprotected twitter accounts boasting about how they're "at the career fair, about to get dat paper" with no pseudonyms in their account names. :smh:
Yes, yes they do.

And some of them friends you got on Facebook are really just spies and such for these companies. And don't think just cause your IG is blocked or your Twitter is on private, that they can't see what you have behind closed doors. 

Can't lie, I look up all my candidates that are sent to me for interviews. I mostly interview engineers though so they're all pretty much the same :lol: Not in a bad way.

But when I was doing it in my previous company for warehouse employees, it was definitely interesting to say the least, as far as what "characters" they seemed like based on what I saw online. I don't ever remember completely shutting down a candidate due to whatever they put up on their social media of choice though. Maybe all the ignorant stuff I see on here has diluted my sense of what actual stupidity is. :lol:

Last edited:
So I found out a colleague of mine makes $15k more, (was $20k more three months ago) than me and we have the same title & responsibilites, plus I've been here longer, trained her and taught her how to do pivots tables, lookups, etc. I knew I was underpaid, but this has pissed me off beyond belief.

To top it off, they blow smoke up my ***, and tell me how much they love my work. Now that she's leaving, they are trying to see "where my head is at" by taking me to lunch and blowing more smoke up my ***, telling me they have "growth opportunities" and new tasks in mind for me. Didnt mention anything about a new title or another raise tho.

Didn't learn about the difference in money until after the lunch (old coworker told me).

I've looking for another job, and even had an interview yesterday, but I feel like the biggest sucka ever right now.

Who you know is huge. Job I'm at now I found out about cause one of my clients had a friend who set me up to talk with someone from my current company. He just gave me some info and said I could put his name as my referral. Company usually does a phone screen and then a 4 interview process before hiring. I got called in for an interview a couple days after I dropped off my resume and got offered the job after one interview. Turns out my referral is one of the top trainers in the company. Same with my wife's job she got in cause of some friends of ours. Her resume had absolutely nothing of relevance pertaining to her job and one of her interviewers (there were 7) started the interview by saying she had no experience and they didn't understand why she was even brought in.

She's been there a year and already got over a 10k raise and a promotion. It's who you know but it's also how much you network and just being open to opportunities you might not have previously considered.

Does anyone think it's harder to get a job in a city you don't live in? I applied for a job in Atlanta about 3 hours from where I currently live, I didn't get it, but I did some snooping on LinkedIn in and found people who were recently hired in the last year and half, and their qualifications come nowhere near mine.

The same company is hiring again, I'm taking Alot of the advice from this thread, and I'll see what happens, wish me luck.

Last edited:
Does anyone think it's harder to get a job in a city you don't live in? I applied for a job in Atlanta about 3 hours from where I currently live, I didn't get it, but I did some snooping on LinkedIn in and found people who were recently hired in the last year and half, and their qualifications come nowhere near mine.

The same company is hiring again, I'm taking Alot of the advice from this thread, and I'll see what happens, wish me luck.
It definitely is. I have been trying to leave the state for months now and the same thing always happens. 

-HR rep calls

-Discuss my resume

-Ask me where am I located because my resume has my grandmothers address on it but I'm still currently working in GA

-Explain, even state that I would be paying my own travel in the event that I get an in person interview to help alleviate some of their apprehension in considering me.

-All downhill from there

Lost out on a job with the firm I would want to work for more than any other because of this. I'm about ready to give up on leaving the state and just accept it.

I had a good relationship with the training director for the state, I'm going to email her, and see if I can use her as a reference. The training they require you to have she teaches the Damn course, if her word can't get me any pull I'm ****** :lol:

As a CompSci major why dont you have a portfolio? Why didnt you develop your own projects? Why didnt you intern?

How is it that you know I didn't do those things? :lol: My portfolio mostly revolves around my Android development. No one ever found it interesting, and 9/10 jobs wanted a resume/CV over a portfolio. My projects also focus all on Android development, and some of my work is on XDA.

I was also an athlete, heavily involved on campus (president of one club, board member of another, and I was a RA), and worked in addition to school.

I applied to at least 8 internships between Sophomore - Junior year. 1 gave me a phone interview. Guess who got those jobs? People who were friends with the guys who worked with those companies, or the one who kissed so much *** that it was sickening.

I'm not just some dude who skated by, son. I stayed busy, I took up hobbies that revolved around my professional interests, and they STILL were not trying to hear it. And don't say it was my persona/interview skills. At every other job NOT related to comp sci, they were impressed with my interview skills, and were even more shocked when I told them that I was a comp sci major.

Last edited:
Solid advice here overall from everyone. I'm in business school doing a career switch and I realized that knowing someone is huge. I recently started an internship that I got only because my friend is close with one of the partners there. Hell, I got a response whether I got the position that very afternoon after my interview before the internship was even posted on their website and before they started campus recruiting. My summer internship, I have only because I interviewed well and the managing partner wanted to take a chance on me.

I decided to go into the Taxation side of accounting for a public firm and I was told off the bat that my chances are slim to none just because they hate hiring or giving a chance to people without experience. It truly is a catch 22. My work experience is meaningful because I have a lot of relevant responsibilities, but it is in a totally different field. This was told by my mentor for the year, a managing partner of a top 10 national accounting firm. As he told me, "employers have all the cards now. They can lower you less pay, more hours, and less PTO. But you'll take it because you don't have the option to go anywhere else." It's really rough advice but it's true and I appreciate the honesty.

Here's a bit of advice from our Career management center. "if your resume doesn't hit the key words and is one of the 100 best from the hundreds of thousands that are collected every few months, you better start networking." Because HR doesn't even read a majority of the resumes that go through their websites now, they get filtered by a program picking up key words and then from then on the HR reads the select few that make it past that filter.

As a CompSci major why dont you have a portfolio? Why didnt you develop your own projects? Why didnt you intern?

How is it that you know I didn't do those things? :lol: My portfolio mostly revolves around my Android development. No one ever found it interesting, and 9/10 jobs wanted a resume/CV over a portfolio. My projects also focus all on Android development, and some of my work is on XDA.

I was also an athlete, heavily involved on campus (president of one club, board member of another, and I was a RA), and worked in addition to school.

I applied to at least 8 internships between Sophomore - Junior year. 1 gave me a phone interview. Guess who got those jobs? People who were friends with the guys who worked with those companies, or the one who kissed so much *** that it was sickening.

I'm not just some dude who skated by, son. I stayed busy, I took up hobbies that revolved around my professional interests, and they STILL were not trying to hear it. And don't say it was my persona/interview skills. At every other job NOT related to comp sci, they were impressed with my interview skills, and were even more shocked when I told them that I was a comp sci major.
So I found out a colleague of mine makes $15k more, (was $20k more three months ago) than me and we have the same title & responsibilites, plus I've been here longer, trained her and taught her how to do pivots tables, lookups, etc. I knew I was underpaid, but this has pissed me off beyond belief.

To top it off, they blow smoke up my ***, and tell me how much they love my work. Now that she's leaving, they are trying to see "where my head is at" by taking me to lunch and blowing more smoke up my ***, telling me they have "growth opportunities" and new tasks in mind for me. Didnt mention anything about a new title or another raise tho.

Didn't learn about the difference in money until after the lunch (old coworker told me).

I've looking for another job, and even had an interview yesterday, but I feel like the biggest sucka ever right now.

So u develop for Android as in UI or apps? and if apps what coding do u use?

UI

Just building ROMs from a CM base, cherry picking features and building them into my own project. This was back when the Nexus One released, I stopped the development stuff after Gingerbread because it wasn't going anywhere for me.

UI

Just building ROMs from a CM base, cherry picking features and building them into my own project. This was back when the Nexus One released, I stopped the development stuff after Gingerbread because it wasn't going anywhere for me.

Oh ok. I feel u but u never know. I see things as experience that could lead to something big no matter the relevance to your life at that point in time.

Best advice...from a dude that has gotten some pretty good positions, but was to terrified of the real world so I went back to school to "get more qualification" but honeslty went back because I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up...

Move. Wherever you are, whatever you're doing, if your not in a city, get there. Go to as many of those dumbass "happy hours" as possible. If people like you, they'll hire you, qualifications, experience, everything be damned, you want people to like you, that's more important than anything else. I've seen people without degrees, get jobs that required degrees because people liked them.

I know this has been touched on but imo it is very important that you carefully control the content on your social media. Me, i have never had any social media accounts and there are absolutely no images of me online that are attached to my name. Do yourself a favor and do periodic google searches of your goverment name. Also do an image search to see what pics of you pop up (sometimes it is your friends who have uploaded your pic and tagged your name without you knowing). Any "party" pics should be removed when looking for a job.

yea thats true.

when i was at the insurance place they had a luncheon for interns with some of the hr depart/some supervisors.

one of the guys tells us "u know, sometimes companies hire people for the sole purpose of finding you on social media and examining your profile."

i changed my profile name soon as i got home.

Going off another social media topic, how much do all of you utilize LinkedIn? I don't know how to feel about it, yes it increases your professional network, but I feel really weird about having my bio, my past jobs, and where I went to school put up for random people to see.

Having 500+ connections sounds like it'd come in clutch though. :\

Going off another social media topic, how much do all of you utilize LinkedIn? I don't know how to feel about it, yes it increases your professional network, but I feel really weird about having my bio, my past jobs, and where I went to school put up for random people to see.

I hate how social media has taken over.

Not nearly enough. I was just saying that last week I don't even do anything of use with me. That prompted me to take the one month trial of LinkedIn Premium, start sending out requests like crazy, and follow a bunch of companies. Not saying that I'm doing the most with LinkedIn, but it was better than what I did before.

I wouldn't even consider LinkedIn social media, it's more of a job board where people are allowed to humble brag.

Last edited:

I hate how social media has taken over.

i know man, last week, some guy came into one of my college organization's meetings for the sole purpose of asking my buddy about the research work he did under a professor which he listed on his LinkedIn.

Man reading through this thread is really disheartening for a recent college grad :lol: :\

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom