Cd Sales 9-6-11 Vol. Lil Wayne 1 MILLION SOLD!

Originally Posted by 10027

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

Originally Posted by gllahone84

It's like this, if your content doesn't transcend then what's the purpose? It's like we had this same conversation when Nelly sold 10 million...and Nas said it best, "in the history of the game, you have no placement". So you can talk about sales all day, but when it's all said and done I need substance. If I listen to Biggie, it's weed and girls yeah, but for the most part Biggie never catered to the fickle audience such as teenagers who will eventually mature and move past the bull. Wayne is garbage now. The music just seemed real back then...

Whaaatttttttttttt? So who did Biggie cater to? The hustlers, drug dealers & gang bangers? puh-leaseeeee.
No rapper has a specific target audience. They want people of every background to listen to their music. That is why people sign major label deals, so they can have their music played everywhere, for more races of people to hear.
Yes.  White teenagers STILL love Biggie.  People say the weirdest things in these threads about what race listens to what...  If a rapper is popular white people listen to him heavily—that goes for Jay-Z, Kanye, 50 Cent, Dipset, Biggie, 2Pac, Gucci Mane, Nas, everybody....  Lil' Wayne is no more popular with white people or teenagers than Kanye West is.  That's a ridiculous statement.
I appreciate what gllahone says about content transcending though.  The albums that live forever do a lot more to boost a rapper's status than one album that manages to hop on the trends at the right time.  Certainly Nelly is a good example—it seemed like people practically forgot he existed during his hiatus, but someone like Biggie is still going strong off those two albums.

Exactly.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Dudes are really legit OD offended when it comes to anything Wayne.

Trying to justify and rationalize the numbers so they feel better about the situation.

Baby musta bought albums. WTT no promotion still did 425K out the gate. Numbers gotta be wrong. SMH @ whoever is buying this trash album. Record sales don't mean how good an album is (it doesn't, but you only see this said in a Wayne thread) etc to the etc

umad.jpg

It's not that hard to understand. Along with Em, Wayne is the biggest name in rap, for better or for worse.

A lot older heads been knowing Wayne since Tha Block Is Hot.

A lot of younger heads grew up with Wayne already being one of the bigger names in rap, and grew into arguably the biggest name in rap.

Put two and two together, dude has a pretty broad fan base.

Wayne has also a big female fan base.

That's what you need to sell records. Appeal to White America and females.

Wayne does both.

Why else do you think YMCMB does so well? Drake? Nicki?

Same thing.

When artists who NT don't really rock with, like Wale or whoever, and they go wood first week, it's all
laugh.gif

When artists like Jay + Ye go 425K first week, it's
pimp.gif

When Wayne goes nearly plat first week, it's, THIS CAN'T BE LIFE smh

You dudes, man.

dealwithit.gif
Co-signing all of this to the fullest.

[table][tr][td]NOTHING LIL ABOUT WAYNE[/td][td]
blank.gif
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
n_rrule.gif
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Tha Carter IV Could Hit 900k, Chili Peppers Next with 200-225k

August 31, 2011

You know it don’t come Weezy, but Lil Wayne pulls it off again.
The prolific hip-hop superstar’s eagerly awaited Cash Money/Universal Republic album, Tha Carter IV, hit retail last Monday and is on target for sales of 870-900k in its first week.

Based on first-day sales from those retailers not selling corn dogs to Tea Party candidate Michele Bachmann, the album will easily debut at #1 on next week’s HITS chart.

The rapper’s last installment in the series, Tha Carter III, sold 1.005m on release in June, 2008.
[/td][/tr][/table]

This just goes to show America is full of idiots. I would feel comfortable using this as proof in a research paper...
roll.gif

Whaaatttttttttttt? So who did Biggie cater to? The hustlers, drug dealers & gang bangers? puh-leaseeeee.
No rapper has a specific target audience. They want people of every background to listen to their music. That is why people sign major label deals, so they can have their music played everywhere, for more races of people to hear.
Yes.  White teenagers STILL love Biggie.  People say the weirdest things in these threads about what race listens to what...  If a rapper is popular white people listen to him heavily—that goes for Jay-Z, Kanye, 50 Cent, Dipset, Biggie, 2Pac, Gucci Mane, Nas, everybody....  Lil' Wayne is no more popular with white people or teenagers than Kanye West is.  That's a ridiculous statement.
I appreciate what gllahone says about content transcending though.  The albums that live forever do a lot more to boost a rapper's status than one album that manages to hop on the trends at the right time.  Certainly Nelly is a good example—it seemed like people practically forgot he existed during his hiatus, but someone like Biggie is still going strong off those two albums.

Exactly.
but if you tell 'em Nas or Jay > Lil Wayne or Eminem, they'll scream blasphemy
and when ye violated taylor swift he lost a generous amount of the white caucus 

Originally Posted by Tego Calderon El Abayarde

It's not hard to transcend when you're not really talkin about. How many white teenagers can identify with the message of black excellence in WTT as opposed to Wayne's raps?

I agree and I apply that same logic to all real rapper's who don't sacrifice style for substance.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

Originally Posted by ToAnotherLevel

Like someone said earlier, album sales != a good album. So what exactly does the album sales mean? That Yao Ming comparison was perfect.

YMCMB has a following, there's no denying that but lets relax, there's better music out here. I can't help but feel like Wayne isn't making music for grown men. Seems like he's going after the adolescence. He has his moments but I just don't know..
So if he's making music for the adolescence, especially if they're the ones buying it, why is that a problem?

He doesn't owe you anything.  He owes the demographic that are actually going to buy his album and pay to go to his shows.  Wouldn't it be smart to cater to those putting money in his pocket?

Alot of ya'll _'s sound like scorned best friends who got left for greener pastures
laugh.gif
  If you don't like the product he's putting out don't listen or check for him.

Originally Posted by kb8 3qwick

Originally Posted by franchise3

Dudes are really legit OD offended when it comes to anything Wayne.

Trying to justify and rationalize the numbers so they feel better about the situation.

Baby musta bought albums. WTT no promotion still did 425K out the gate. Numbers gotta be wrong. SMH @ whoever is buying this trash album. Record sales don't mean how good an album is (it doesn't, but you only see this said in a Wayne thread) etc to the etc

umad.jpg

It's not that hard to understand. Along with Em, Wayne is the biggest name in rap, for better or for worse.

A lot older heads been knowing Wayne since Tha Block Is Hot.

A lot of younger heads grew up with Wayne already being one of the bigger names in rap, and grew into arguably the biggest name in rap.

Put two and two together, dude has a pretty broad fan base.

Wayne has also a big female fan base.

That's what you need to sell records. Appeal to White America and females.

Wayne does both.

Why else do you think YMCMB does so well? Drake? Nicki?

Same thing.

When artists who NT don't really rock with, like Wale or whoever, and they go wood first week, it's all
laugh.gif

When artists like Jay + Ye go 425K first week, it's
pimp.gif

When Wayne goes nearly plat first week, it's, THIS CAN'T BE LIFE smh

You dudes, man.

dealwithit.gif
Couldn't agree more with this.

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

dudes in here sounding like bitter exes

Originally Posted by RetroSan

Exactly.
but if you tell 'em Nas or Jay > Lil Wayne or Eminem, they'll scream blasphemy
and when ye violated taylor swift he lost a generous amount of the white caucus 

Yeah, but I really don't think that's a reason to boycott and not buy the man's album.

Originally Posted by Cragmatic

This just goes to show America is full of idiots. I would feel comfortable using this as proof in a research paper...
roll.gif
So choice of music is correlated to intelligence? And you'd be willing to write a paper on this? Oh the irony

roll.gif
Word
roll.gif

Originally Posted by keithsweatsjordans

roll.gif
So choice of music is correlated to intelligence? And you'd be willing to write a paper on this? Oh the irony
Actually... yea
laugh.gif

...Well, according to blog posts about the chart (the link to a full version wasn't working on Griffith's Web site), liking Lil Wayne makes me as dumb, as this calculation goes. But I also like Beethoven, which apparently makes me smart. Not enjoying either artist enough to list him in my "favorite music" list - well, Griffith's chart doesn't give an answer for that.

Curious to know where your tastes fall? Here are a few standouts from "Music That Makes You Dumb," with an average SAT score for each artist. According to Griffith's original Web post, he used data from 1,352 schools, with a mean SAT score of 1071 out of 1600:

¤ Counting Crows: about 1250

¤ Radiohead: about 1200

¤ Ben Folds: just below Radiohead

¤ Bob Dylan: falls on the 1196 line on the chart

¤ Phish: spans 1100 to just below 1200

¤ Outkast: also has a wider range than most artists, from 1050 to 1150

¤ Rage Against the Machine: falls in the same area as Outkast, with a smaller range, from about 1060 to 1130

¤ Kanye West: has a median right around 1050

¤ Kelly Clarkson: has a median just above 1010

¤ Ludacris: falls on the 996 line on the chart

¤ Beyonce: has a range from just below 900 to just above 950

What does this say about the correlation between what kind of music you listen to and how smart you are? Well, nothing really. There are more people who listen to Ludacris than there are people who listen to Radiohead - it's a matter of exposure, accessibility and airplay. Listening to both is evidence of a broad taste in music, not of an occasional lapse in intellect.

Because really, what college student lists Beethoven as his or her favorite artist? Answer: One who goes to a music conservatory. Music conservatories generally have pretty steep entry requirements on SAT scores. Solved.

Besides, Lil Wayne's lyrics are at least 10 times as clever as Ben Folds', regardless of his average fan's SAT score.

SOURCE

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

roll.gif
Actually... yea
laugh.gif
I want to know where Jeezy is, or are they not showing negatives?

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

Actually... yea
laugh.gif
I want to know where Jeezy is, or are they not showing negatives?
So Phish fans are smarter than Nas fans?
laugh.gif
and
30t6p3b.gif
at any of you dweebs who believe that chart

I've always said that little wayne is horrible. It's only a couple years before you guys turn on your beloved Kanye West and realize that he's just as terrible as little wayne.

This argument/debate is ridiculous. Album sales don't matter once you get to that level. If you really don't think Universal isn't out there buying up most of these albums, you're hallucinating. People act as if he only sold 200k first week that it would affect his next album releasing. Get real. Lil Wayne ain't Curren$y. He ain't Wiz Khalifa. And I'm personally not a fan, but album sales are nothing more than a baseless bragging point for his label and himself at this point.

Because let's face it, you wanna do a #'s argument?

14 > 4

13 > 4

36 > 10

42 > 10

Kanye's grammy wins - 14
Jay's grammy wins - 13
Kanye's grammy nods - 36
Jay's grammy nods - 42

Both guys have more wins than he does nods (10). Oh, and 1 of his wins was for Swagga Like Us... Both Jay and Kanye were on that song.

If you like the music, that's fine. If you don't, that's great, too. But let's face it. When it comes to #'s, it's about $ or it's about Championships. And he's not seeing either 'Ye or Jay in either.

Back
Top Bottom