Chad Ford: Bucks Jefferson to Spurs 4 Bowen, Oberto, & Thomas ; becomes official later today

The San Antonio Spurs are in seriousdiscussions with the Milwaukee Bucks forforward RichardJefferson(notes), league executives told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday.

The proposed deal would have the Spurs send send veterans Bruce Bowen(notes), Kurt Thomas(notes) and Fabricio Oberto(notes) to the Bucks, who arelooking to shed the remaining two years, $29.2 million on Jefferson's contract for the Spurs' expiring contracts.

The deal isn't completed, but league executives say both teams appear motivated to get it done.

Jefferson is the athletic, scoring forward that Spurs have craved to complement the aging tandem of Tim Duncan(notes) and Manu Ginobili(notes). The Spurs have been pursuing the New Jersey Nets Vince Carter(notes) too, but it appearsJefferson is the deal that they can make now.

After arriving in Milwaukee last summer from New Jersey, Jefferson averaged 19.6 points for the Bucks last season.

Bowen, 38, has been a staple of the past three Spurs championships and one of the NBA's most dogged defenders.

Damn. So I guess we're already looking to tank next season for the sake of cap space. We probably won't re-sign Charlie V or Sessions. Who the hellwill do the scoring? If Bogut and/or Redd don't stay healthy this could be a sub-20 win team next season.

Not a good idea to be god-awful when you will also start begging for a new arena in the near future.

Salary dump. Bowen and Thomas are done, they are too old. Pop is making one last push to get Timmy another championship run.

Duncan
Jefferson
Manu
Parker

They need to pick up a better big man than Matt Bonner.

Chad Ford
The trade is Richard Jefferson to the Spurs for Bruce Bowen, Fabricio Oberto and Kurt Thomas ... more coming in just a second. Deal is agreed to in principlewith a trade call coming later today

eek.gif

The West
pimp.gif
eek.gif

It looks like Thomas and Oberto's contracts are non-guranteed which means the Bucks would be saving money. So they might be able to keep Sessions with thistrade.

*Shrugs*

Originally Posted by mjd77

So the Bucks can just release the 3 useless guys they just got, right?
Chad Ford:

Bowen, Oberto and Thomas are all in the last year of their contracts. It saves them roughly $3 million this year and $15 million next year. And it gives themsome flexibility to sign at least one of their restricted free agents -- either Charlie Villanueva or Ramon Sessions.

A lot more even sighted than what people will think.

That's a sweet deal for the Spurs. If only they get Splitter to come over from Brazil...

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Originally Posted by mjd77

So the Bucks can just release the 3 useless guys they just got, right?
Chad Ford:

Bowen, Oberto and Thomas are all in the last year of their contracts. It saves them roughly $3 million this year and $15 million next year. And it gives them some flexibility to sign at least one of their restricted free agents -- either Charlie Villanueva or Ramon Sessions.

A lot more even sighted than what people will think.

I guess Ill give GM John Hammond the benefit of the doubt for now. He has proven he can build a team from the ground up. I'm thinking he must alreadyhave more moves in mind.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

That's a sweet deal for the Spurs. If only they get Splitter to come over from Brazil...

laugh.gif
Looks like he's never coming to the NBA. I thought he would'vebeen in a Spurs uniform last season.

Nice deal, but it's still not enough for them to get past the Lakers. I still also like the Nuggets over the Spurs.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

I don't know how RJ would gel with Manu and TP.

Why not? Manu still aint gonna start so its not gonna be a problem. I seriously cant remember the Spurs EVER having an athletic wing player that could actuallyplay
laugh.gif
. The spurs run aint over yet.

Originally Posted by daprescription

I still also like the Nuggets over the Spurs.
If Manu is healthy,not a chance

Back
Top Bottom