Champions League knockout stage draw

Originally Posted by Jada2001Retro

Confirmed
frown.gif
Fabregas has a slight crack in his fibula and will miss the rest of the season up to 6 weeks out. And basically out for WC finals.

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
20ars6e.gif

This is why depth is important. The club will be missing their 3 best attackers (Arshavin, van Persie and Fabregas) and their starting CB (Gallas) in their most important match of the season. Granted, no club in the world would be in good shape if 4 of their starters went down to injury but van Persie, Gallas and Fabregas are known to get injured quite often.

We can handle the Fabregas injury since we have Nasri and Rosicky who play the same position.

Losing van Persie and Arshavin is huge because the stupid club didn't bring in any strikers in the summer and during the winter transfer window. We're stuck with Bendcrap as our default CF, and we're stuck with using players like Nasri and Rosicky on the wings even though they aren't really wingers.

Losing Gallas is huge because the club doesnt really have any other reliable CBs. Most big clubs have 3-4 reliable CBs...our options are Campbell, Traore and Silvestre
indifferent.gif

I'm reading that it could be the last time we see Gallas in an Arsenal shirt. Apparently Gallas and Arsenal have not been able to come to terms on an extension which may mean that Gallas will leave for free in the summer.

Great match to watch. As previously mentioned Barca dominated the first half and part of the 2nd.

Arsenal was lucky that Almunia had the best game of the season otherwise Barca would have been up 4-0. Arsenal took advantage of the chances they had.

For those that saw the Inter game, know that the 1-0 result was horrible for them. We should have won 5-0 at least. They played beautiful, something they have lacked all season. Sneijder played well despite missing some clear chances. El Pupi and el cuchu are consistent pillars in this team, true leaders. We'll have to play smart and know when to attack in Moscu because the weather will be extremely cold.

Originally Posted by Fuser86

Great match to watch. As previously mentioned Barca dominated the first half and part of the 2nd.

Arsenal was lucky that Almunia had the best game of the season otherwise Barca would have been up 4-0. Arsenal took advantage of the chances they had.

For those that saw the Inter game, know that the 1-0 result was horrible for them. We should have won 5-0 at least. They played beautiful, something they have lacked all season. Sneijder played well despite missing some clear chances. El Pupi and el cuchu are consistent pillars in this team, true leaders. We'll have to play smart and know when to attack in Moscu because the weather will be extremely cold.
I wouldn't say horrible, but it wasn't good that we didn't convert many of those chances in the second half. Not converting chancing in the knockout rounds could really come back to haunt you, but the good thing is no away goal for them. I'm confident that will we score there and put the tie away, we are clearly a better team. Btw Akinfeev is
sick.gif
guy is class.

Who's up for some UEFA Cup?

Agger gets 'Pool on the board with a nifty backheel on Benfica... Later during an altercation, Babel decides to put his hands into an opponent's face (play had stopped) with the ref standing right next to him. Straight red. Fool. 

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

We're stuck with Bendcrap as our default CF, and we're stuck with using players like Nasri and Rosicky on the wings even though they aren't really wingers.
I'o'know, I think Bendtner could have a field day in the air without Pique and Puyol to push him around.

I'd start Walcott out wide and tell him to just put balls into the box all night long.

Still, Barca with no defense > Arsenal with no offense.

I'm thinking a 3-1 victory for Barca in the return leg.

I think Bendtner will be able to punish whoever is in the back for the return leg, Pique's height is what stopped Bendtner and not to mention Puyols experience. I do expect Bendtner to put in a goal, maybe a header or 2. All I know is I am very disapointed still that Cesc is out but he truely is an Arsenal legend...to have an injury and still go out there and start and want to play his *+@ off against Barca and to score, shows alot about him. I'll wear a different Cesc jersey starting Sunday all next week.
smile.gif

Traore btw is alot more reliable than Campbell, he can actually move faster than a turtle
laugh.gif
. I would actually have Silvestre start if Campbell isn't 300% and Traore isn't available. I really would rather see Song stay in the midfield and quiet down Messi like he did yesterday.

Milito has been in fine form since his return. For somebody whose been sidelined for the last 2 years, he seems to not have lost a step. As I've said numerous times, I always hold my breath when Marquez is in.
There wasn't anything aside from the scoreline that makes me believe Arsenal will somehow go on the road and win. They were outclassed for most of the game, but props to them for making the most out of their chances and fighting back when everybody, including pep, seemed to have written them off after Ibra's 2 goals.
And that Puyol red was
indifferent.gif
...what was he supposed to do? Let Cesc shoot blank range?
I'm with Prurient and expect a 3-1 scoreline for tuesday.

laugh.gif
at Bendtner dominating any Barcelona backline. I don't think he has the heart to shine at this sort of stage yet, and he also won't be seeing too many crosses because the flanks will likely be shut down.

^ He may not dominate, but he'll definitely have an advantage in the air without Pique and Puyol back there, and I'm sure that Arsenal will be looking to get everyone forward on set pieces since that's pretty much their only shot at scoring with Cesc and Arshavin out.

And unless they plan on playing Messi at left back, nobody on Barca has the pace to stay with Walcott.  Keep him out wide and encourage Sagna to get forward as well.  I mean, Arsenal really have nothing to lose; they're already up against two away goals and weren't expected to win the tie anyway, so why not play with your balls out?

EZLN1, I agree with you on the Puyol red.  It almost looked like Cesc stuck his foot back between Puyol's legs and then fell down.  It was a really soft foul but, once the PK was called, I guess the ref had no choice but to show Puyol a straight red.

If you guys didn't hear, I read this morning before work...Arshavin's season is basically over. He feels he tore his calf muscle and it will be a minimum of 3 weeks, I just hope we have RVP back for the derby with City on the 24th, that would be great.

Damn when you think of the players we have out and their impact on the team its quite crazy...
Out:
Cesc
RVP
Arshavin
Gallas
eek.gif

The fact that we are within striking distance of the EPL title makes the timing soo much worse.We have to go for it and just play like we have NOTHING to lose for the remainder of the season and see how it plays out. We've got a tall task in front of us in both title chases but who knows...go Arsenal!

Wenger expects Arshavin out until the derby with City
pimp.gif
. So maybe his season isn't over, I just want him healthy, we really need to give it to City after our poor performance earlier in the season.

Man I can't wait for Tuesday, the game is going to be on FSNHD, aka the clearest broadcasted soccer.

Ibrahimovic hurt himself today in the pre-game warm-ups and is out for Tuesday. IMO this is a bigger loss for Barca than Pique+Puyols.

Barca have 4 other players capable of filling in at CB but they dont have any other players that fit Ibrahimovic's profile. When Barca are missing a striker then it usually throws their formation off a bit and they dont create as many chances. I guess it means that Henry will play between Pedro and Messi.

I expect Tuesday's match to be close. Barca obviously have the advantage, are obviously the better team and should win but they are missing just as many key players as Arsenal. The unfamiliarity between some of their players may level the playing field a bit.

Man I hope we can win this game, the later winner today has definitely brought some confidence to our guys. We have nothing to lose, we need to attack attack attack for 90 minutes.

Alex Song has been ruled out of tomorrow's match with a groin injury. Our best CM too
smh.gif

-----------Bendtner----------
Rosicky---------------Walcott
--------------Nasri----------------
---------Diaby--Denilson------
Clichy--Vermalen--Sol--Sagna
-------------Almunia--------------

What the hell man
sick.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Alex Song has been ruled out of tomorrow's match with a groin injury. Our best CM too
smh.gif

-----------Bendtner----------
Rosicky---------------Walcott
--------------Nasri----------------
---------Diaby--Denilson------
Clichy--Vermalen--Sol--Sagna
-------------Almunia--------------
Jesus.

That's just......  awful.

All they need now is for Almunia to have a freak hair-frosting accident so they'd be forced to start Fabianski.

are you serious about song? damn. he played well in the first leg. really could use him

I'm so pumped for tomorrows game! I'm not even gonna have a single drink for the NCAA game tonight. Gotta wake up nice and early for the crushing of Arsenal manana. Pity it's not going to be A squad vs. A squad. Thats futbol for ya.

Off to the bar near campus to watch the match. Lets finish them off like we did Porto!

Back
Top Bottom