Charles Woodson won AP Defensive player of the year

Charles Woodson won AP Defensive player of the year
50035175e86b76a1e3b041980ff66d095963c2c.gif

Congrats to C-Wood, what a great season he had. In the end though, I think it was his statistics that put him above Revis. Like someone above me said, Asomughahad a season like Revis had and didn't win the award because of his lack of tackles/int, because no one threw at him.....

Woodson isn't a bad pick. I guess he does a bit more defensively than his position calls for, but Revis should've won for being so good in hisposition, if you can understand where I'm coming from.

Originally Posted by OctobersFinest

REVIS WAS ROBBED.

ROBBED.

[h1]Darelle Revis Deserves Defensive Player of the Year Over Charles Woodson[/h1]
by
Chris Sax
Contributor
View Profile
Contributor Written on January 12, 2010

93481638.jpg.10656.0_feature.jpg
Jim McIsaac/Getty Images

No one on defense was more important to their team than Darrelle Revis was to the New York Jets this past season. That's what I expect from a Defensive Player of the Year award. It's the most valuable defensive player.

Don't get me wrong, Charles Woodson had an awesome year with a league leading nine interceptions, and I don't want to take anything away from him....except his DPOY trophy.

Let's look at it this way: The Green Bay Packers played only two teams with "elite" wide receivers-the Bengals (Chad Johnson-I refuse to call him Ochocinco) and the Cardinals (Larry Fitzgerald, once in the season and once in the playoffs). Chad Johnson caught four passes for 91 yards and a touchdown. Larry Fitzgerald caught three passes for 17 yards and a touchdown in their regular season match-up.

The Jets played six teams with elite wide receivers, playing two of those teams twice-Houston (Andre Johnson), New England twice (Randy Moss), New Orleans (Marques Colston), Carolina (Steve Smith-he had Delhomme and Moore throwing to him and still almost had 1,000 yards receiving and seven touchdowns; he's still elite), Atlanta (Roddy White), and Cincinnati twice (Chad Johnson, and I'm including their recent playoff game).

Now let's look at Revis and the Jets' stats against these teams. The Jets won five out of the eight games. Out of those games only once did a receiver catch a touchdown (Randy Moss in a New England win), and the highest yard total was 35 yards by Andre Johnson. That's unreal.

Without Darrelle Revis there is no way the Jets win those five games. The Jets offense struggled all year trying to get the ball in the end zone. If Darrelle Revis isn't there, the Jets don't win those games because those teams would have scored too many point for the Jets to match.

On the other hand, Green Bay has an offense that can match any other team's offense. Just look at the recent playoff game against the Cardinals. Green Bay gave up 45 points but matched it to send the game into overtime.

Which brings me to my next point. Charles Woodson and his defense didn't do jack in their playoff loss to the Cardinals. Yes he had six tackles and a forced fumble, but Larry Fitzgerald also had 82 yards and two touchdowns. In total the Green Bay defense gave up 375 passing yards and five touchdowns.

Want to know how Revis and his Jets did in the playoffs? The Jets only gave up one touchdown and 110 yards through the air. Revis shut down Chad Johnson for 28 yards on two receptions and had an interception that helped set up a Jets touchdown and swing the momentum in the Jets favor.

No one was more dominant than Darrelle Revis on the defensive end this season. He mattered the most to a Jets defense that was first overall and would have been significantly worse had he not been there. But the most important thing is that Revis showed up in the clutch. He came to play in every game that his team needed him, especially in their recent playoff victory. The definition of Defensive Player of the Year.

That match up v Reggie Wayne deserves and * because Wayne got pulled just as he was starting to open up Revis

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Woodson isn't a bad pick. I guess he does a bit more defensively than his position calls for, but Revis should've won for being so good in his position, if you can understand where I'm coming from.
Same deal with Nnamdi last year. But I figure there's a bias against him since he plays for the Raiders.

Originally Posted by khoshabasfinest23

Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy12

Nnamdi last year > Revis this year...

award to chuck...justified...

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Just because Nnamdi didn't get numbers doesn't mean he didn't have a better season than Revis did this year. Go check andsee how many teams actually tried throwing against him that would give him an opportunity to rack up tackles/picks(which he doesn't even try to pick theball most the time he just makes sure his WR doesn't catch it). He had QBs/WRs/Head Coaches shook.

C. Wood my favorite player ever prolly but Revis my favorite Jet. It's aight, Revis still got a lotta years to grab up a couple more.

Revis was indeed robbed, but what annoys me more looking at this is the margin of votes between Woodson and Darelle. How in the #%#$*$% world did he DOUBLE thenumber of votes?

This is blasphemy.

This is reminding me of when Hideki Matsui lost the 2003 Rookie of the Year voting to Angel Berroa by a few votes (it might have been 1 actually). Such+%#$#@!%.

Originally Posted by zube42

Originally Posted by khoshabasfinest23

Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy12

Nnamdi last year > Revis this year...

award to chuck...justified...

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Just because Nnamdi didn't get numbers doesn't mean he didn't have a better season than Revis did this year. Go check and see how many teams actually tried throwing against him that would give him an opportunity to rack up tackles/picks(which he doesn't even try to pick the ball most the time he just makes sure his WR doesn't catch it). He had QBs/WRs/Head Coaches shook.

Sir, you are the one spewing outlandish claims. You bring up the numbers and don't tell me a somebody from a team that should have been relegated toDiv 1-AA years ago, has anybody shook.

Originally Posted by fraij da 5 11

I told yall Revis wouldn't get it because of his numbers
laugh.gif
Didnt believe me though.

Show me Nnamdi's trophy case... Ill wait.

Revis and Wood gonna be 1st team All-Pro though
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

nnamdi hasnt won it because 1. hes a raider 2. hes a raider 3. qbs dont throw to his side

Back
Top Bottom