Chicago aka Chiberia and da midwest colder than Alaska

Hunker down Chicago: Subzero temps for next 45 hours could be one of city's longest streaks
Tony BriscoeContact ReporterChicago Tribune

Chicagoans might have a new appreciation for single-digit temperatures because Tuesday afternoon will mark the start of a 40-plus hour stretch of subzero weather, according to the National Weather Service.

On Tuesday, Chicago is expected see a high temperature of 5 degrees at O’Hare International Airport. However, about 6 p.m. Tuesday, temperatures are forecast to fall below zero enroute to lows of around minus 20.

Temperatures might not recover to zero until around 3 p.m. Thursday — a possible 45-hour stretch of below-zero temperatures that could rank among the longest.

If the forecast holds, this would be tied fifth longest such stint.

However, the highs at O’Hare on Thursday afternoon are expected to be close to zero, meaning if temperatures fall short of that mark, Chicagoans might have to wait an additional 12 hours until Friday morning, according to weather service meteorologist Ricky Castro.

The record remains 98 hours between Dec. 22 and Dec. 25, 1983. But Castro said he’s still impressed that this could outlast the 37-hour stretch during the polar vortex of January 2014.

“It’s amazing that this one is going to be worse,” Castro said.

Record below-zero streaks in Chicago
  • Dec. 22, 1983: 98 hours
  • Feb. 1, 1996: 66 hours
  • Jan. 8, 1982: 60 hours
  • Jan. 19, 1985: 48 hours
  • Jan. 17, 1994: 45 hours
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...d-weather-subzero-stretch-20190129-story.html

Yeah it’s ****ing cold man. It’s worse in Minneapolis.

Then it’s gonna be 40 all weekend. :stoneface:

70 degree temp change real quick.

They shut the building down early today and closed the building tomorrow here.

92466191-5393-4EEC-93D5-E9620742A4ED.jpeg

High of negative 2 in Detroit tomorrow and with the windchill it’s supposed to be like neg 20-40. Coldest since 1995. Needless to say I’m calling off tomorrow, they saying exposed skin can get frostbite in less than 10 minutes f that I’m cool I’ll take a point.

It’s cold but it’s not THAT bad if you’re not just standing around outside. Maybe because I’ve been here all my life.

Whole company’s working from home till Friday. Not mad.

Heading to Iceland in 2 weeks. Didn’t think I’d be dressing warmer there than here LOL

There is always the “it’s not that bad” guy. :lol:

Yeah man, I feel bad for the dudes working outside. I’m not working until it gets decent out. F that.

if it were 45 here in hawaii, the whole state would shut down :lol:

My friends in Kauai are always trying to clown. “Enjoy your winter we’re going padding.” -_-

It’s cold but it’s not THAT bad if you’re not just standing around outside. Maybe because I’ve been here all my life.

Whole company’s working from home till Friday. Not mad.

Heading to Iceland in 2 weeks. Didn’t think I’d be dressing warmer there than here LOL
Bruh, it's funna be -40 with windchill -50! LMAO @ not that bad.

Haha, I get how it sounds.
Today just wasn’t crazy to me though. I layered up and was straight. Tomorrow, not so much LOL

I feel sorry for those without shelter here. I’m Volunteering at a soup kitchen tomorrow night and donated clothes and food today.

Back
Top Bottom