**CHIEF KEEF**

Chief Keef's Deal With Interscope Records Revealed To Be Worth $6 Million

DNAInfo.com has revealed that the three-album contract that Keef signed with Interscope could be worth more than $6 million. The contract was made public in a court filing that seeks a judge's approval to finalize agreements. The court's approval is required by law because Keef, who is 17 years old, is a minor.

Interscope agreed to pay Keef a $440,000 advance, giving half up front and half after a judge confirms the deal. The advance will be deposited into a court-administed "blocked" trust fund on his behalf that is controlled by his grandmother. Keef also received a $300,000 deal to cover the cost of recording Finally Rich. His deals depend on album sales, as Interscope has the right to pull out of the contract if he doesn't sell 250,000 copies of the LP by December 2013.

He also signed a separate deal to control his own label, Glory Boyz Entertainment, and received another $440,000 advance. Both Keef and his manager Rovan Manuel each receive $180,000 and own 40 percent of the label. Interscope must also pay GBE $200,000 for "overhead expenses," and will split profits equally with the imprint.

Upon release in December, Finally Rich bowed at No. 27 with 50,000 copies sold. Keef is currently serving a 60-day sentence for violating probation.

Link

Last edited:
6 million though... And I doubt this dude will hit 250k album sales by next december.

^

"As of January 23, 2013 Finally Rich has sold 106,000 copies."

Not bad for a non heavily promoted album, Keef will be just fine if he stays outta trouble (streets) & keep doing his thing. :smokin

Last edited:
106k already? I like the album but that number exceeds my expectations considering this wasn't promoted at all and the guy can't stay out of trouble.

Maybe his jail time will actually boost his sales a bit though.

^

"As of January 23, 2013 Finally Rich has sold 106,000 copies."

Not bad for a non heavily promoted album, Keef will be just fine if he stays outta trouble (streets) & keep doing his thing. :smokin

So you think that Keef is gonna sell another 150,000 copies? The vast majority of the people who would even consider buying the album have likely already done so. Who is left to buy another 150% of what he's already sold?

So you think that Keef is gonna sell another 150,000 copies? The vast majority of the people who would even consider buying the album have likely already done so. Who is left to buy another 150% of what he's already sold?
It's called promo.

More singles. More videos. 

It's called promo.

yup

106k without any songs on the radio for the most part isnt bad

take off 50 from hate being sober and it can be a huge hit in my opinion

But my point is who is going to hear about Chief Keef that hasn't already at this point? You guys really believe that Keef is somehow going to convince another 150,000 people to buy his album? Obviously it's not impossible but y'all are talking as if it's actually likely to happen...

But my point is who is going to hear about Chief Keef that hasn't already at this point? You guys really believe that Keef is somehow going to convince another 150,000 people to buy his album? Obviously it's not impossible but y'all are talking as if it's actually likely to happen...
Isn't that the case with every artist? 

Why bother promoing albums past it's first couple of weeks then?

To an extent it is. I mean, this isn't 1990. Every song on Keef and everyone else's album is readily available at the click of a button online. People aren't waiting around for singles to drop anymore. It's a different era.

On the other hand, I think that there is a tremendous difference between an album like Keef's and and album like Kendrick Lamar's. People that are inclined to buy Keef's album are likely people that listen to the radio a lot, therefore, they have been hearing about Keef steadily for months now. Kendrick's album appeals to a more diverse set of interests, including people who enjoy well crafted albums like myself. I had never heard a Kendrick Lamar song prior to ordering his album on Black Friday after various people told me that it was an exceptional album. Not too many artists are putting out exceptionally crafted albums in this era. Are people going out to buy Keef's album because their friends are telling them it slaps? I highly doubt it. Those people will just go download it because a million and one things slap in this day and age and it's on to the next one after two weeks, if that long...

I was kind a hater for telling y'all son isn't a millionaire. Now y'all see he ain't nowhere near it yet.

But I think it's brilliant how Interscope is running this "how much do you love Sosa" campaign :lol:

How many artists contracts details leak like this? Its hard to promote an artist who is in jail so let's tell his fans he's going to get dropped if y'all don't buy his record. :rofl:

most albums don't get promoted pass the first few weeks. Labels buy albums in the first few weeks to keep the album on the charts to spark interest and leverage radio play and tour to recoup. But son is going to jail. He can't tour. He can't shoot videos. How they suppose to promote him?

TRASHHHH them n_s should just stay as sosa shooters and stay off the mic
what should ASAP Ant do?

LIke clockwork

GIFSoup
How many artists contracts details leak like this? Its hard to promote an artist who is in jail so let's tell his fans he's going to get dropped if y'all don't buy his record.
roll.gif
The court released his contract details smart one. Im pretty sure almost all these new rappers have this type of deal.

It's called promo.

yup

106k without any songs on the radio for the most part isnt bad

take off 50 from hate being sober and it can be a huge hit in my opinion
"I don't like" was heavily on the radio. if he sells another 150k he'd better hope "hate being sober" blows up. he has a year so i think he can do it.  but if he keeps ******g up when is he gonna have time to promote?

He shouldve shown up for that video shoot with 50 and Wiz, its damn near impossible for him to sell 200,000 more copies before December 2013. :lol: he did it to himself. He shouldve been the best thing smoking on BET, they like his kinda music.

Last edited:
He shouldve shown up for that video shoot with 50 and Wiz, its damn near impossible for him to sell 200,000 more copies before December 2013.
laugh.gif
he did it to himself. He shouldve been the best thing smoking on BET, they like his kinda music.
A video shoot that would have cost him $30K.

He'd be better served using 30K to buy his albums with.

at $10 an album, how many copies do you think he'll get with that?  You think that's a better use of money?

I get that you're being facetious, but this is where his frugality/laziness/and just sloppy promo comes back to bite him.

With the GOOD Music and Drake cosigns, radio play that "I don't like" got (it was also one of the better songs on the GOOD album), and immense slurping news media like Vice and Pitchfork were giving him, he has no excuse for not slamming the market and outperforming the numbers he did.

Yeah he was under-shipped and under-promoted by his label but everyone knew that would happen.  It's BEEN happening to more commercial acts than him.  He also caters to a demographic that hasn't bought albums since Get Rich Or Die Trying (the hood street dudes). So knowing that, someone in his camp should have slapped the **** out of him and told him he had to overcompensate for that.  He could have easily seized the teenage suburban market and sold 100+ first week if he had just done more self-promoting.  Instead he was busy getting into twitter beefs and doing little dumb **** to get himself banged up.

Dude didn't help himself or his situation at all.  Labels are snakes.  We all KNOW this.  He didn't do **** to counter act the **** that they pull.

Kid ain't as big as Waka was...and he still sold more than Waka's debut.

Nobody making trap music is pushing 100K + first week.

You don't think Chief Keef was as big as Waka when Waka FIRST came out?  That's arguable.  "I don't like" was as big or bigger than Hard in the Paint.  It's slipped into every day vernacular in the hood and suburbs.  Just no one was checking for any of other his music but that one song. That's all on him and his team mishandling opportunities.

Keef had WAY more going for him early on than Waka did.  Waka just worked harder and didn't **** up like Keef is.  It also helps that Waka's album was better and he seems to be better at building relationships with other artists/labels/media.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom