Christopher Nolans INTERSTELLAR (Nov 7, 2014) - Run Time = 2hrs 49mins

I disagree with What The Flick often with their reviews, I will wait for Jeremy Jahns, Schmoes Know, and Chris Stuckmann's reviews this week.

How early do you guys get to the showing? Wana see 70mm don't want crappy seats... Better to sit far away?
I've read that it's best to sit in the top few rows, in the middle of the row. I wanna get there early to get good seats, but not to the point where we gotta sit there for an hour before the movie. I know some of these film geeks will be there bright and early though :lol:.

The IMAX in my city sells each seat individually.

Last edited:
Just got back and first impressions are that I liked the film. One of those movies that might get better with time for me. I was never bored despite not knowing half the terminology the characters are discussing during the movie.

There was one thing that kind of bothered me...
Did anybody think the segment with Matt Damon was out of place. I was digging the whole research tone they set earlier by visiting potential habitable places then all of a sudden we got a character who seemed a bit crazy (I think he was but not completely sure) fighting with McConaughey. I just didn't see what the purpose of Damon's character was.

Last edited:
already posted a mini review in the general movie thread but i think it might have been premature. i really need to gather my thoughts :lol:

will do so tomorrow.

Last edited:
So how is this looking to those of you who saw it? Looking at the last two post and idk about this movie might let the crowds die down and watch it a week after rrlease

Interstellar is one of Nolan's weakest films, but considering his filmography, that obviously doesn't mean it's a bad film.

To me, it's an average sci-fi movie with some solid visuals. Good acting all around but the script really wasn't that strong and somewhat deriviative of other sci-fi flicks. There wasn't really anything that blew me away and IMO it tries too hard to infuse emotion rather than letting it come naturally. Zimmer's score wasn't as pronounced as it was in Inception (which could be a good or bad thing for some people) and the one big plus I'll give it, they really use the silence of space effectively.

I'm not even sure I'm going to watch this again this weekend (Birdman and Laggies open in my area), but I can't fault anyone for wanting to go out and see it.

If anything, I hope it does well so that sci-fi blockbusters make a comeback.

I liked it ,actually thought it was amazing especially in IMAX. They even had our projectionist come out give a speech explaining the difference between the film aspect ratio, how the screen would be utilized and what the experience would be. He also announced that there would be no trailers, no commercial, just straight into the movie, which was pretty cool to see a film in its actual running time. visuals were great, Matthew McConaughey, was great! I enjoyed for what it was!

Just got back and first impressions are that I liked the film. One of those movies that might get better with time for me. I was never bored despite not knowing half the terminology the characters are discussing during the movie.

There was one thing that kind of bothered me...
Did anybody think the segment with Matt Damon was out of place. I was digging the whole research tone they set earlier by visiting potential habitable places then all of a sudden we got a character who seemed a bit crazy (I think he was but not completely sure) fighting with McConaughey. I just didn't see what the purpose of Damon's character was.

Having just viewed the film last night as you did, I tried to give it time and fight the instinct to also feel like that scene was out of place, but i very much agree. I also felt that they could've just came to damon's characters "world" found out he died, had TARS transfer the data and leave, but then we don't get that action sequence where coop has to line the ship up with the station, unless while they are flying to the space station a crazed matt damon awakens and flies after them, but either way i really hated how they shouldn't have randomly switched up the tone like that..[/SPOILER

Sounds like a decent flick, and Nolan hit a "victim of your own success" snag. Like everyone expects you bring something amazing instead of just telling a simple story.

Damn it came out last night in some spots? I'll be seeing it in 70mm tonight at 7. Can't wait.

Have 10am tickets for 70mm at Lincoln center NYC this sat. I expect to be wowed visually. Movie intrigues me because it is in the context of theoretical physics as well as using a dystopian setting that isn't far from reality/possibility.

Cowboy bebop, blade runner, alien, avatar (pocahantas x gundam)...all fascinating because I love to watch a directors take on humanity where space travel is as common as...a new Jordan retro.

I didn't get much from the trailer that implies a insanely deep story like TDK or inception. But excited nonetheless. Solid cast too.

Last edited:
my actual review
I thought the film was fantastic, especially in IMAX, i don't even want to know what this film would look like in a normal theatre. The story was great never felt like it was 3 hours, or maybe i did but it was a good feeling. I had just did an impromptu surgery hours before the film so i stood up the last hour of the film(we sat in the very back.) I did feel like the film did drop off when matt damon appeared(maybe studio pressure) But picked backup after the whole matt damon scene, Movie was borrowed from certain movies and had he admitted it, could've gone as a better "super 8" movie, was still amazing to me though[/SPOILER[/

Last edited:
Also the scene when they went through the wormhole on an IMAX screen was :wow: :pimp:

Although it is not my favorite Nolan film I have been thinking about this movie all day at work. I was thinking of different ways that the Matt Damon sequence could have worked better for me imo. Like the comment above I think they could have found him dead (then could have any actor or not show the body like the first world they visited) then have TARS show that he falsified his research followed by Anne Hathaway finding out her father died and sent them on a doomed mission from the start. That would have been a better emotional punch for me considering how much time has gone by on Earth.

Last edited:
Just got back from seeing it in IMAX 70mm.

It's a visual masterwork, something that really realizes the potential of the format, some heart stopping sequences, the feeling of exploration is wild, It truly does suck you in.

BUT

It's a new school visuals with a very old school classic cinema heart. The writing is very obvious, very on the nose and very naked in its emotional agenda much like classic Hollywood cinema. It's like the Grapes of Wrath meets 2001 meets Casablanca.

YOU HAVE TO SEE IT IN IMAX.

DO NOT SEE IT ANY OTHER WAY.

Sounds like a decent flick, and Nolan hit a "victim of your own success" snag. Like everyone expects you bring something amazing instead of just telling a simple story.

not really it's a very simple classic type of story, sure it's painted in sc fi but its really basic hollywood story points and emotional beats.

the visuals is what makes it special.

Back
Top Bottom