College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

[table][tr][td]Jerry's Mailbag[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Tiger targets
What are the odds that Memphis will get both Xavier Henry and John Wall for '09. Does KU settle for Dominic Cheek and Thomas Robinson? Is that a significant drop-off from Wall and Henry?

-- Michael from Springfield
-----
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
XAVIERHENRY7_28200.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Xavier Henry is down to Kansas and Memphis.[/td] [/tr][/table]I believe the odds are favorable for Memphis landing both Henry and Wall. Henry is down to Kansas and Memphis, and his brother C.J. Henry just joined the Tigers' roster. Wall has always been high on Memphis, and his style of play is a perfect fit for the dribble-drive offense the Tigers employ.
Certainly Kansas is strong with Wall after playing host to him for an official visit. Baylor is also a player after hiring Wall's travel team coach, Dwon Clifton.

Now if Kansas were to land Cheek and Robinson, I wouldn't consider it "settling" even if they were to miss on Henry and Wall. Yes, Henry and Wall are elite talents. But I can't envision either of them being in school more than one year. With Cheek and Robinson, you have two legitimate five-star prospects who will be in college at least a couple years - likely three or four years. Cheek is a talented wing who can score in bunches, and Robinson is one of the top rebounders in the 2009 class.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Impact Cardinal
Do you see Rakeem Buckles having a major impact right away when he joins the Cardinals in 2009? Where do you think Louisville's 09 class will turn out in the final class rankings based on who they're recruiting now and the signing of Peyton Siva and Mike Marra?

-- Nolan from Louisville
-----
I definitely think Buckles, the No. 40 ranked prospect in the Rivals150, will make a major impact for Louisville. However, I'm not sure exactly when that will happen. Buckles could easily follow a similar career path as current Cardinal Earl Clark. Like Clark, Buckles is long, athletic and skilled. Also like Clark, though, Buckles will likely come to Louisville with the need to put on weight and get stronger. Strength is more important for Buckles because his strength is not shooting the ball from the outside.

Right now Louisville's 2009 recruiting class stands at No. 9 nationally. If they can land one of their two targets in low four-star prospects Aaron Dotson and Andrew Fitzgerald, they will likely stay around the same area in the rankings. If the Cardinals land both prospects, they could move up a bit.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Fitting into the system
I was wondering what your thoughts were on Greg Monroe's impact on the Hoyas. He will be more athletic and versatile than Roy Hibbert, but may not replace his defensive presence on the interior. Also, how do you think Chris Wright and Jason Clark will fill Jonathan Wallace's shoes, and how far do you see the Hoyas going in the NCAAs?

-- E. Sheffy from Toronto
-----
[table][tr][td]
GREGMONROE9_13200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Greg Monroe might not put up big numbers as a freshman.[/td] [/tr][/table]Don't expect big numbers from Monroe, due in a large part to the Georgetown system. However, he will be a vital contributor to their attack. In fact, Monroe's greatest attribute - his passing ability - will be counted on heavily. I agree that Monroe will not be the defensive presence that Hibbert was, but Monroe will run the court better and is a more polished offensive player than Hibbert was coming into Georgetown.
Wright and Clark are talented players. In fact, they were more highly ranked than Wallace coming into Georgetown. Wallace outperformed expectations as a heady point guard who consistently knocked down 3-pointers, many of those in the clutch. Whether Wright and Clark can bring stability to the position like Wallace did is perhaps the biggest question mark for Georgetown going into the season.

It's tough to predict where a team will finish in the tournament before the season begins, but I do expect Georgetown to be a top-20 team. Their unique system will always make them difficult to play against. If things come together with their personnel, they could easily be a top-10 team.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Minnesota moving up
Where does Minnesota's 2010 class rank in comparison with other major schools? Can you evaluate each player? What other major prospects does Tubby have his eye on?

-- Jesse from Brooklyn
-----
Minnesota registers at No. 17 nationally in Rivals.com's 2009 team recruiting ranking. In the Big Ten, Minnesota is third behind Indiana, who is No. 3 nationally, and Illinois (No. 6).
[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
RODNEYWILLIAMS_0028.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rodney Williams will need to get physically stronger to make an impact in the Big Ten.[/td] [/tr][/table]Minnesota's three-prospect recruiting class is headlined by five-star forward Royce White. A physical combo forward, White is a dangerous post-up player and a threat off the dribble as well. He also made shots from behind the arc this summer. What really gives White value is that he is a legitimate combo forward who can excel at both the four and the three spots. He can defend both positions and has the physical strength to make an impact from Day One.
A Minnesota product like White, Rodney Williams is a small forward with terrific athleticism. A big-time leaper, Williams does his best work along the baseline. For Williams, the No. 95 ranked prospect in the Rivals150, to be an impact player for Minnesota a couple things need to happen. One, he needs to get physically stronger so more of his athleticism can translate to the rugged Big Ten. Secondly, his skill level and feel for the game need to improve. Williams will probably never be an great ballhandler, but he does need to at least be solid with the ball. He also needs to be capable of knocking down shots.

Justin Cobbs, a three-star prospect out of California, is a physical point guard who is capable and willing to distribute the basketball. He is also a tough defender. I don't know if Cobbs will be a starter at Minnesota, but I do expect him to at least contribute off the bench and play valuable minutes.
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] NBA prospects
Who is the most NBA ready player in the class of 2010?

-- Lee from San Antonio
-----
It's sort of tough to gauge NBA readiness for juniors in high school, since none of these players are actually ready for that level of play. But in regards to most ready, I'd put it as a toss-up between our top two prospects - Josh Smith and Brandon Knight.

Smith, a 6-foot-10, 270-pound center, has the strength to play against men. If he grows an expected two or three more inches, he'll have legitimate NBA size as a center. Smith also has the skill level to play at the highest level. He can score to either shoulder in the post, is explosive enough to dunk in a crowd without taking a step, has a soft touch on his midrange shot and is an adept shot blocker.

Knight, a 6-foot-3, 170-pound point guard, has everything you look for in a point guard - tight handle, speed, quickness, feel for the game, passion for competing, scoring ability and defensive and rebounding prowess. He doesn't yet have the strength of a grown man, but he is s in the process of adding more muscle mass.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

Lute Olson is just strange nowadays.

Arizona coach Lute Olson is engaged.

The 74-year-old Wildcats coach, who recently went through a bitter divorce, is engaged to 47-year-old Kelly Pugnea.

Olson made the announcement at a benefit dinner on Wednesday night. He said there is no wedding date set, but that it will probably take place next summer.

Olson's first wife of 47 years, Bobbi, died in 2001. He was married to Christine Olson for nearly five years and finalized a divorce in the past year.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

The 74-year-old Wildcats coach, who recently went through a bitter divorce, is engaged to 47-year-old Kelly Pugnea.

Olson made the announcement at a benefit dinner on Wednesday night. He said there is no wedding date set, but that it will probably take place next summer.

Olson's first wife of 47 years, Bobbi, died in 2001. He was married to Christine Olson for nearly five years and finalized a divorce in the past year.

better keep miles simon away
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

By NEILL OSTROUT
Staff writer

Article Last Updated: 10/03/2008 12:33:19 AM EDT

UConn freshman basketball player Nate Miles was expelled from the university Thursday following a hearing that looked into allegations he assaulted a fellow UConn student.

Miles, 20, was arrested Sept. 22 for violating a restraining order.

He is accused of contacting the 19-year-old UConn student, his former girlfriend, some 16 minutes after a restraining order barring him from having any contact with her was issued.

He appeared briefly in Rockville Superior Court Tuesday and is due back there on those charges Nov. 25. There is also a hearing in civil court Monday in regard to extending the restraining order.

The university's decision, which was made by one or more administrative hearing officers, can be appealed within five business days. Miles, reached by phone Thursday night, said he wasn't sure if he would file an appeal.

"I don't know," said Miles, who answered most of the questions he was asked with the same words.

The 6-foot-7 Miles, a native of Toledo, Ohio, took a long and circuitous route to UConn. He attended five high schools and was accepted into the school only after a lengthy review by the NCAA Eligibility Center and by UConn administrators.

Miles committed to UConn in November 2006 but didn't arrive in Storrs until this summer. He was asked Thursday if it was a disappointing end to such a long journey.

"I don't know," Miles said. "I really don't know what to say."

In a sworn affidavit that was used to issue the restraining order, the female UConn student told police that her relationship with Miles began Sept. 6. She stated that "the first time we had sex it was consensual" and that the next few times the two were together in Miles' dorm room that he pressured her to have sex again.

"When I told him no, he would tell me we were going to anyway," the affidavit reads.

The document goes on to detail what the alleged victim describes as physical and sexual assault.

Both Miles and the alleged victim were given a chance to testify separately at Thursday's university hearing.

According to the Student Conduct Code at UConn, a hearing body can impose a number of sanctions, including a warning, university probation, university suspension and expulsion. The administrative hearing officers, assuming they followed procedures described in the conduct code, relied on the following language in that book:

"When an Accused Student has been found 'Responsible' on any charge, the Hearing Body shall review the student's academic transcript and student conduct history, hear impact statements by both the Accused Student and Complaining Party, and impose the appropriate sanction(s)."

Just wish him the best of luck with w/e he tries to do in the future...although you can't help but get sad when a child (and that's what he is...) sabotages his own future.

Snow Bunnies FTL
tired.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by DoItAllPaul

whats some people's take on OU freshman guard Willie Warren?
My dude Willie
pimp.gif
...I'll let other address the question, I'm biased...

Originally Posted by PhilBalla09

Originally Posted by allen3xis

better keep miles simon away
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

and this WOW

Basketball recruit Reger Dowell is no longer in Arizona's plans. And this time, it's not a decommitment from the player, but the UA coaching staff.

On Monday night, Reger Dowell Sr. said UA coaches have rescinded their offer of a scholarship despite assuring his son he'd have one next fall - even after Abdul Gaddy recommitted.

Coach Lute Olson rarely has taken back an offer in his 25 years at UA.

"They offered him a scholarship and they took it back,'' Dowell Sr. said in a phone interview. "Reger is disappointed and not feeling very good about it.''

Dowell is a 6-foot-1, 170-pound guard out of Duncanville, Texas. His father said he "did not want to bash anybody'' but he didn't "feel it was handled properly.''

He said UA coaches intended to use the scholarship to recruit a big man. UA coaches are not allowed under NCAA rules to talk about recruits.

The father said Olson and assistant Russ Pennell visited his son for an in-home visit on Sept. 17, a day or two after Gaddy orally recommitted to the program. The elder Dowell said they were reassured everything would be fine.

He said UA coaches offered his son a scholarship because they "were growing impatient with Gaddy.'' Dowell orally committed to UA on Aug. 25 after the Cats recruited him in July.

"They contacted me and said, '(Dowell Jr.) is a good player, and if Gaddy doesn't commit in a couple of weeks, then we're going to come hard at your son,'' the elder Dowell said.

The father said he found out later UA was still recruiting Gaddy, rated the No. 2 guard in the 2009 class. The dad said he was fine with that, thinking the two could play and compete together.

"(UA coaches) called a couple of times to reassure us that our scholarship was solid and their commitment was solid,'' the elder Dowell said.

Last week, the father said UA coaches told him "they had too many guards and Reg would not get the minutes he deserved as a freshman, and they wanted to use the scholarship to go after some 'bigs' (big men)."

"I didn't like it," the dad said. "I didn't think that's the way things worked. I thought that if the head coach offers a kid a scholarship you honor it, but that's not how they do their business. . . . That's the way things are, and all we can do is accept it.''

Dowell said his son was unavailable to speak about the situation, but will have opportunities to play elsewhere.

Willie Warren is a *%$@#@+ BUM

AJ Abrams >>>>>>> Willie Warren
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

nerd.gif
tongue.gif

And a big
indifferent.gif
to the U of A staff for that @%!* they pulled.Terrible. Even Bruce Pearl won't do that....

laugh.gif
AJ Abrams is gonna soak his shorts when Texas plays Oklahoma and he's matched up on Willie...
smh.gif

Dre, I hope you were kidding
laugh.gif
Willie Warren is gonna kill people this year, and AJ Abrams will be one of them. AJ will want no part of Willie Warren afterabout the first three possessions.

And I heard about Dowell "de-committing" from Arizona earlier today, but thought it was old news as I didn't realize he had been committed toArizona in the first place. On a side note, Duncanville High School's team this year is absolutely ridiculous. Roger Franklin, Reger Dowell, ShawnWilliams, Perry Jones, and a few others...I don't know that I've ever seen a high school team in Texas with more talent on it, including those SouthOak Cliff years with J'mison Morgan, Darrell Arthur, Kevin Rodgers, and a couple other D1 players (throw in Seagoville's years with Donald Sloan,Derrick Roland, and Lamarcus Aldridge as well).

In a sworn affidavit that was used to issue the restraining order, the female UConn student told police that her relationship with Miles began Sept. 6. She stated that "the first time we had sex it was consensual" and that the next few times the two were together in Miles' dorm room that he pressured her to have sex again.

"When I told him no, he would tell me we were going to anyway," the affidavit reads.

The document goes on to detail what the alleged victim describes as physical and sexual assault.

I guess Kobe was no lesson to these dumb @%$!%$
tired.gif

what's the deal with this Loyola coach
nerd.gif

Billy Bayno has got to be as dirty as they come in this biz. A former Calipari assisstant at UMass, recruited Odom while head coach at UNLV, gave hime $,eventually leading to sanctions against the program.

ya'll guys are smoking that SUPER sticky if you think AJ will guard Willie.
laugh.gif
if Barnes does this i will poke myself in the eye with a paperclip
laugh.gif

But i bet AJ wets his $$@ up on the other end

Mason will guard Willie if they go man....but i bet 80% will be zone to keep Griffin in check

Tony Crocker gets a
smokin.gif
from me too... SA stand up

not saying the warren on henry dunk isn't nice. but the story i read on that play is that a charge was called and henry hit the free throws which won thegame.

though i am looking fwd to what warren can do this year.

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

I guess Kobe was no lesson to these dumb @%$!%$
tired.gif

That's disgusting. Hopefully he gets kicked out of school. Virgin %#% dumb %##+#. Get a sniff of vag and don't know how to act.

AJ >>> Everbody in Oklahoma including Juaquin Iglesias and T. Boone Pickens.
laugh.gif
Knock it off Dre...
laugh.gif
Tony Crocker gets a from me too... SA stand up
Crocker is THAT DUDE...
laugh.gif

I love that Oklahoma team, man... Crocker, Griffin boys, Warren, Austin Johnson...
pimp.gif

This Oklahoma team is better, IMO, than the one that made the Final Four with my favorite college player of all-time...
g_price_vt.jpg

pimp.gif

Good lord that seems like forever ago... It was only 2003.
laugh.gif

[h1]UConn Men's BasketballDisciplinary Incidents[/h1]October 3, 2008

Add Nate Miles to the list of those whose conduct has complicated coach Jim Calhoun's life and sullied the Huskies' reputation (starting in 1990):

Oct. 6, 1990

Murray Williams, forward, charged with DUI. Later dismissed from the team for academic reasons.

Feb. 16, 1993
Brian Fair, guard, charged with shoplifting. Placed on accelerated rehabilitation (community service).

Oct. 23, 1994

Rudy Johnson, forward, charged with breach of peace in an incident involving Sue Mayo, a member of the UConn women's team. She withdrew from school.

Jan. 21, 1998

Antric Klaiber, forward/center, charged with DUI and seat belt violation. Suspended two games. Made to attend classes on alcohol abuse.

Oct. 1998

Doug Wrenn, forward, charged with shoplifting $85 sneakers from Bob's Stores in Hamden. Fined,performed 50 hours community service.

April 13, 1999

Khalid El-Amin, guard, charged with possessing marijuana after his arrest in Hartford. Record erased in 30 days when he completed six hours ofcommunity service.

Oct. 1999

Wrenn, issued a citation for allegedly creating a public disturbance outside Cody's Diner in New Haven.

Jan. 4, 2000

Tony Robertson, guard, and Wrenn, accused of scheming to swap tickets for boots at the Timberland Stores at Westfarms Mall.No charges were filed. Their conduct, however, results in suspensions (Wrenn for eight games; Robertson for one).

April 29, 2000

Wrenn, forward, charged with breach of peace. Placed on accelerated rehabilitation. Dismissed from team.

Feb. 22, 2001

Marcus Cox, guard, charged with marijuana possession. Placed on accelerated rehabilitation, entered drug education program.

Feb. 14, 2003

Ben Gordon, guard, charged with misdemeanor third-degree assault and disorderly conduct. Placed on accelerated rehabilitation, performed 30 hours community service.

Aug. 18, 2004

Assistant coach Clyde Vaughan, charged with patronizing a prostitute and interfering with an officer. Resigns from coaching staff. Pleads guilty, performs 10 days of community service, attends hygiene class for johns run by the Hartford health department and is made to submit to testing for sexually transmitted diseases.

March 27, 2005

Antonio Kellogg, guard, charged with possession of marijuana. Had been suspended March 14 because of an undisclosed violation of team policy. Arrested 13 days later.

April 9, 2005

Kellogg, charged with criminal intent to assault a police officer, criminal trespass and interfering with an officer. Expelled from UConn. Granted accelerated rehabilitation on both charges and previous marijuana charge, ordered to attend drug education classes and perform 100 hours of community service.

Aug. 12, 2005

A.J. Price, guard, charged with four counts of third-degree larceny and one of making a false statement to police for his role in the theft of four laptop computers from a dormitory on campus. Received 18 months of probation and 400 hours of community service.

Aug. 16, 2005

Marcus Williams, guard, four counts of third-degree larceny for his role in theft of laptops. Granted accelerated rehabilitation and placed on 18 months' probation. Ordered to perform 400 hours of community service.

Oct. 2007

Doug Wiggins, guard, fails drug test, suspended 30 days.

Jan. 25, 2008

Wiggins and Jerome Dyson, guard, suspended after being caught with alcohol while sitting in a car in a parking lot. Wiggins also received a summons for driving with a suspended license. Dyson misses nine games and Wiggins two. Wiggins eventually transfers to UMass.

Oct. 2, 2008

Highly touted recruit Nate Miles is expelled from the university by an administrative review board after being accused of assaulting a female student.

accused of scheming to swap tickets for boots at the Timberland Stores at Westfarms Mall
hadn't heard this one
laugh.gif

funny, cause Calhoun does that with local car dealerships

Back
Top Bottom