College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

I remember the thread. I vaguely remember the stories.

I remember hearing Sean Doc got the most !*%#% as any freshman ever.
And JJ smoking massive amounts of marijuana.

Other than that, ... My memory is terrible.

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

run down of JJ Redick's track record necessary after that claim ...
nerd.gif
http://niketalk.com/topic/60353?page=1

Enjoy
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

If we become the #11 team I'd be ecstatic. With 1 senior and 1 junior.

[table][tr][td]Head coach: John Thompson III
Last season: 28-6 overall, 15-3 in Big East.
Postseason: Lost 74-70 to Davidson in second round of NCAA tournament.
[/td] [td]
georgetown_statslogo.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Breakdown: Probable starters | Backcourt | Frontcourt | Offense | Defense | Outlook[/td] [/tr][/table]
http://Backcourt

The Hoyas should be just fine in the backcourt despite the departure of mainstay Jonathan Wallace, who started all 136 games in his four-year career.

http://

conhead_ataglance_30.jpg

JESSIESAPP250_0313.JPG
[size=-2]Jessie Sapp improved his game in nearly every area last season.[/size]

[table][tr][td]Probable Starting Five[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Chris Wright, 6-1/Soph.
5.7 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.1 apg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Jessie Sapp, 6-3/Sr.
9.7 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 3.2 apg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Austin Freeman, 6-4/Soph.
9.1 ppg, 3.0 rpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]F DaJuan Summers, 6-8/Jr.
11.1 ppg, 5.4 rpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C Greg Monroe, 6-11/Fr.
True freshman[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Top Reserves[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Jason Clark, 6-2/Fr.
True freshman[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C Henry Sims, 6-10/Fr.
True freshman[/td] [/tr][tr][td]F Julian Vaughn, 6-9/Soph.
Transfer from Florida State[/td] [/tr][/table]

Sophomore Chris Wright will step into Wallace's shoes. Limited to 16 games by a foot injury last season, Wright showed flashes of what he can bring tothe table as a scorer and distributor. He had 14 points and five assists against Jacksonville and 13 points and four assists against American, an NCAAtournament team. Speaking of the NCAA tournament, Wright shot 70 percent (7-for-10) in Georgetown's two games and averaged 8.5 points. He may not be theperimeter threat Wallace was, but he's faster and more physical. The looks Wallace got on the perimeter could turn into opportunities for Wright to put theball on the floor and create scoring opportunities.

Jessie Sapp started all 34 games last season and improved his averages in nearly every important statistical category. He raised his shooting percentage,free-throw percentage and 3-point percentage. His outside shot really came around as he sank a career-high 62 3-pointers on a career-best 41.1 percentshooting. Sapp had never topped 30 percent from 3-point range in his Georgetown career. He also remains an excellent defender who contributes all over thefloor.

Austin Freeman, a former five-star prospect, proved to be a good fit for coach John Thompson III's offensive system. He was extremely careful with hisshot selection, reaching double-figures in field-goal attempts only twice all season. His sizzling 51.3-percent shooting ranked ninth in the Big East. Freemanshot 40 percent from 3-point range and 81.6 percent from the free-throw line. He's a physical shooting guard who can score behind the arc and atmid-range.

Incoming freshman Jason Clark, a four-star combo guard, will provide depth. He has a high basketball IQ and can score and pass. Word is Hoyas coachesbelieve he can contribute immediately.

http://Frontcourt

Like the backcourt, the frontcourt also is missing a significant piece. Roy Hibbert (13.4 ppg, 6.4 rpg) made himself into an NBA first-round pick, and hewas a force on both ends of the floor. But in steps heralded five-star freshman Greg Monroe, the No. 8 overall prospect nationally. Monroe is a highly skilled6-11 post player who can run the floor and step out and shoot. He's a left-hander with great court awareness who also passes well, a prerequisite for bigmen in Thompson's offense. He may not make up for all of Hibbert's scoring, but he should ably compensate for the lost rebounding and blocks.

The returning starter up front is DaJuan Summers, who made some strides last season as a sophomore and will have to make more without the leadership ofHibbert and Wallace. He didn't quite have the breakthrough season some believed he would, but he was solid (11.1 ppg, 5.4 rpg). He faded down the stretch,though, scoring in double-figures just twice in the Hoyas' final seven games. Summers has to deliver night in and night out for Georgetown to be at itsbest.

Florida State transfer Julian Vaughn obtained a waiver from the NCAA and is eligible immediately. He played in 31 games for the Seminoles last season,including 14 starts, but he scored in double-figures only once. He's regarded as a solid perimeter shooter, and he will see some minutes off the bench.

Four-star center Henry Sims is an intriguing prospect at 6-10 and 215 pounds. He continued to improve during high school and has a huge upside. He could see10 to 12 minutes per game and be a force defensively from the get-go. The coaches are working with him to develop his perimeter skills, because everyone in theGeorgetown offense has to be comfortable away from the basket. Sims is a much better shooter from 15-18 feet than most experts realize.

http://Offense

Georgetown runs the Princeton offense, with its emphasis on cutting, screening and patience. The Hoyas led the Big East in field-goal percentage (49.0) lastseason, proof that players buy in to the offense and take good shots.

http://Defense

Thompson employed a 2-3 zone much of last season to spread the floor and force the opposition to start its offense further out than it would like. The Hoyasled the Big East in scoring defense, allowing only 58.1 points per game. They'll mix in some man-to-man as well.

[table][tr][td]
conhead_seasonlook_30.jpg
http://[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Anyone predicting a huge downturn for the Hoyas should take a closer look. Yes, the Big East easily is the best conference in the country. But Georgetown has three returning starters, a highly ranked recruiting class, an excellent coach and a solid system. Monroe and Wright will step in capably for Hibbert and Wallace. Freeman should get more shots and blossom. Sapp and Summers are the glue and will have to step up their games, too. Depth is a major concern, though. Georgetown may not have enough horses to compete for the league title, but the Hoyas still are an upper-division team capable of reaching the Sweet 16.[/td] [/tr][/table]

Shoes to Fill

Wallace and Hibbert. For the first time since he has been at Georgetown, Thompson won't be able to look on the court and see the steady pair.

Must Step Up

Freeman. The coaching staff probably will be OK if his shooting percentage dips into the mid 40s as long as Freeman is looking for more shots. The Hoyasneed him to average 13 to 15 points, and he's capable.

Impact Newcomer

Monroe. He'll step into the starting lineup immediately, and he'll produce. Clark is the sleeper freshman who could surprise.

Nah..I don't..

but they defend and have 2 guys to go to on offense...which he didn't with Nc State

Lester Hudson might be in for one of the better statistical seasons we've seen...

If he can improve on this
sick.gif

8 boards
5 assists
39% from 3
46 % FG
83 % FT
3 steals
1 block

laugh.gif

October 3, 2008
[h1]Wall planning more visits[/h1]
Jerry Meyer
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting Analyst

Talk about it in Basketball Recruiting Board
Kansas made a big impression on John Wall when the No. 1ranked prospect in the Rivals150 visited in September. According to Wall four other schools will have their opportunity to impress as well before he makes adecision.

[table][tr][td]
JOHNWALL7_28200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wall is down to five schools.[/td] [/tr][/table]"By the end of this week I'll decide whether I'll visit Memphis on the 17th or go there on a different weekend,"said Wall, a 6-foot-4, 184-pound point guard from Raleigh (N.C.) Word of God Christian Academy. "I also still want to visit Oregon and Baylor. And NCState is still in the picture, but I won't use an official visit since I'm right here."

Wall admitted there is pressure on him to make a quick decision, but that it is unlikely that will happen.

"Some schools are pressuring me to commit early, but I think I'll take all of these visits," he said. "I'd like to get them over with bymid-November, and make a decision then. Or, if I'm not sure, I'll wait till later to choose a school."

So it is definitely a two part question for Wall: When will he sign and with whom? The toughest question to answer will be with whom.

"The toughest question is definitely choosing what school I'll go to," he said. "The college you choose is your last big choice you makebefore going into the real world. You have to make sure you know where you want to go and not just go where someone else wants you to go. You have to go whereyou are comfortable.

"The main thing for me will be my relationship with the coach. Having a strong relationship with him is very important. Its also important to go somewherewhere the players respect you for who you are and aren't going to hate on you for what you do and feel like you're taking something away from them. Theteam has to be like a family."

Baylor, who hired Wall's travel team coach Dwon Clifton, was once thought to be the team to beat for Wall. After his Kansas visit and the tug to stay closeto his ailing mother, Wall certainly isn't a lock to follow Clifton.

"To me I don't think there is any pressure on me to have to go to Baylor," Wall said. "I know lots of people think there is, but Dwon toldme before he took the job to do what was best for me. Of course he'd like for me to come to Baylor, but he said he would support me no matter what school Ichoose."

As it stands now the one big question for Wall is where does he want to go to school.

John Wall scouting report:

Blazingly fast with the basketball, Wall is an impeccable ball handler with court savvy. The right hander has a penchant for beating defenders with his lefthand and can then counter with a terrific left to right behind the back dribble. Finding teammates on the move is his forte, but he is also an excellentfinisher at the rim. His jumper is still a work in progress, but it is good enough to keep the defense honest.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Arizona State...Pac 10 Champs and possible Final 4...

Who's with me?
i can definitely see them winning the pac10 if ucla's freshmen don't step up/live up to the hype.

to get to the final 4 though, they're gonna need more consistency from everyone not named harden, pendergraph (though he disappears at times) and to alesser degree abbott.

but i'll be rooting for them since i played with harden and glasser in high school.

Nowitness,

you know anything bout this Keiton Page kid?

59c8e63c-6daa-49cc-8e6e-7ed42ba75d06.jpg

laugh.gif
Dude does not look like the kind of kid that would average 36 points agame as a junior...

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Arizona State...Pac 10 Champs and possible Final 4...

Who's with me?
oli can definitely see them winning the pac10 if ucla's freshmen don't step up/live up to the hype.

to get to the final 4 though, they're gonna need more consistency from everyone not named harden, pendergraph (though he disappears at times) and to a lesser degree abbott.

but i'll be rooting for them since i played with harden and glasser in high scho.
Word. They need a lot of that from everyone. Especially the role players.

I think AZ state has the talent to go there but I would have been way more comfortable with them if they had gotten into the tourney last year. That lil bit ofexperience goes a long way.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by tmay407

Nowitness,

laugh.gif
Dude does not look like the kind of kid that would average 36 points a game as a junior...
He looks like Allen....
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

36 ppg as a junior, 44 points and 7 assists as a senior... Dude was taking like 25+ shots a game as a HS senior... Chuckin like crazy.
laugh.gif

I seen too many dudes like Brent Hackett give folks 40 a game back in high school in Fort Worth, and not do much of anything at a school like TCU to be fooledby high school numbers like that...

Don't know much about him, aside from the numbers... Looks like he can shoot a little bit, but to me he doesn't look overly explosive on tape, andhe's obviously not physically imposing... Got damn he looks little, though... Even on a high school court, he looks SMALL... Being that small you better bea damn good athlete to make an impact on the college game. Not sure I see that...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie"value=""></param><paramname="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embedsrc="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Originally Posted by tmay407

Nowitness,

laugh.gif
Dude does not look like the kind of kid that would average 36 points a game as a junior...

Teddy Dupay called from jail, he wants his career back.

Back
Top Bottom