College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

#14 For Rivals countdown..

[table][tr][td]Head coach: Rick Barnes.
Last season: 31-7 overall, 13-3 in Big 12.
Postseason: Lost 85-67 to Memphis in NCAA tournament regional final.[/td] [td] [/td] [/tr][tr][td]Breakdown: Probable starters | Backcourt | Frontcourt | Offense | Defense | Outlook[/td] [/tr][/table]
http://

Backcourt

Who will play point guard? That question has been hovering over the Longhorns since D.J. Augustin made it clear he was staying in the NBA draft. The otherfour starters return, but losing Augustin (who was taken with the ninth pick) creates a giant void. The Longhorns' offense was built around Augustin, aconsummate playmaker who could go on scoring tears and create easy shots for teammates. Last season he was a consensus All-American and earned the Bob CousyAward given annually to the nation's top point guard.

conhead_ataglance_30.jpg

AJABRAMS250_0323.JPG
[size=-2]Guard A.J. Abrams is one of the Big 12's best shooters.[/size]

[table][tr][td]PROBABLE STARTING FIVE[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Justin Mason, 6-2/Jr.
7.1 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 3.0 apg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G A.J. Abrams, 5-11/Sr.
16.5 ppg, 1.6 spg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]F Damion James, 6-7/Jr.
13.2 ppg, 10.3 rpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]F Gary Johnson, 6-6/Soph.
5.6 ppg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C Connor Atchley, 6-10/Sr.
9.5 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.1 bpg[/td] [/tr][tr][td]TOP RESERVES[/td] [/tr][tr][td]G Dogus Balbay, 6-0/Soph.
Injured last season[/td] [/tr][tr][td]C Dexter Pittman, 6-10/Jr.
2.8 ppg[/td] [/tr][/table]
Replacing Augustin may be a three-man job. Veterans A.J. Abrams and Justin Mason, along with sophomore Dogus Balbay, could take turns handling the duties. Balbay is the only true point inthe group and probably the long-term answer at that position. A native of Turkey, Balbay has been particularly impressive in international tournaments. But hehas no college experience, having missed last season with a knee injury. Abrams, who briefly toyed with the idea of entering the draft, and Mason have playedpoint in the past.
Abrams is known best for his outside shooting, but as a freshman he was more of a distributor, averaging 3.0 assists. Mason would bring the ball up thecourt at times last season in an effort to get Augustin more shots.

Ultimately, the Longhorns need Abrams to focus on looking for his shot. Abrams was the team's second-leading scorer last season (16.5 ppg). With theloss of Augustin's 19.2 points per game, Texas can't afford Abrams' scoring average to dip. He doesn't have the size to shoot over mostdefenders, but he makes up for it with a quick release and moves well without the ball. He is shooting 40 percent from 3-point range for his career and hasmade 238 3-pointers over the past two seasons.

Mason doesn't get nearly enough credit for his widespread contributions. He almost always guards the opponent's top perimeter player and is one ofthe top rebounding guards in the Big 12. He also is savvy with the ball, posting a 2.3-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio last season. He does need to improve hisoutside shooting and become a bigger part of the offense.

As far as depth, the Longhorns may turn to junior wing Harrison Smith, aformer top-100 prospect who has played little. Freshman shooting guard Varez Ward, a three-star prospect, is another option. Coach Rick Barnes has said Ward may be the most athletic player on the team.

Frontcourt

The Longhorns went from P.J. Tucker (2005-06 Big 12 player of the year) to Kevin Durant (2006-07 national player of the year) to Augustin. The next star tofollow in those footsteps could be Damion James. He racked up 17 double-doubleslast season on his way to becoming just one of six players in the nation to average a double-double. He scored in double-figures in 13 of his last 15games.

The plan is to move James out to the perimeter more to take better advantage of his skills and create more matchup problems. James shoots the ball well fromthe outside - he hit 41.3 percent (38-of-92) of his 3-point attempts last season - and has the athleticism and size to guard multiple positions. The Longhornswill be featuring James more in their offense, and just how much he can deliver is pivotal.

The Longhorns boast an ultra-deep collection of big men, led by fifth-year senior Connor Atchley. He went from a role player to someone opponents had to make part oftheir scouting report. He stretched defenses with his 3-point range and also led the Big 12 with 2.1 blocks per game.

Sophomore power forward Gary Johnson could move into the starting lineup,and undoubtedly will see his playing time increase. Having him healthy will add a new dimension. Johnson, a former four-star prospect, missed the first 13games last season with a heart condition and was slowed by other injuries. A ferocious rebounder who can do plenty of damage around the basket, he should teamwith James and Atchley to make the Longhorns dominant on the glass.

Four other post players give the Longhorns the size to wear down opponents on the inside. Junior Dexter Pittman and sophomores Clint Chapman, Matt Hill and Alexis Wangmene may be part of the rotation. The coaching staff is expecting a breakoutyear from the massive Pittman (6-10/298), who attended the famous Pete Newell Big Man Camp over the summer.

Hill took a medical redshirt last season. Chapman and Wangmene played in some big games last season and gained valuable experience.

Offense

You don't see a lot of set plays from the Longhorns. They prefer a more pro-like approach, often isolating two players on one side of the court andhaving one set a ball screen. Look for a lot of that from Mason or Abrams and James. Running Abrams off numerous screens will be another staple.

[table][tr][td]
conhead_seasonlook_30.jpg
http://[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Much of the focus is on losing Augustin - and rightfully so. He was the difference-maker for a team that won 31 games and reached the Elite Eight. But nobody may do a better job of replacing their star players than the Longhorns. They won 25 games the year after losing Tucker and No. 2 overall pick LaMarcus Aldridge. They also won 25 games the year after losing T.J. Ford (another national player of the year). They even got better after losing Durant. They will miss Augustin's playmaking, but they have plenty of other weapons, an extremely deep frontcourt and one of the nation's top coaches in Barnes. If the Longhorns make some defensive improvements, they could win the Big 12 and be a Final Four threat. In any case, they will finish among the top three in the league and return to the Sweet 16.[/td] [/tr][/table]
Defense

Barnes employed a variety of zones - often using a 2-3 and a matchup zone - quite frequently last season and far more than in previous seasons. It was donepartially to hide the Longhorns' lack of height in the backcourt. Barnes would prefer to move back to a traditional man-to-man, but if it's noteffective in non-conference play, the Longhorns could use quite a bit of zone again.

Shoes to Fill

Augustin. Augustin, a lottery pick, generated much of the Longhorns' offense. His leadership also will be missed. When Durant exited,Augustin became much more vocal and the rest of the team fed off his energy. Someone must take over that role.

Must Step Up

James. To come anywhere close to matching last season's success, the Longhorns need James to become a go-to scorer. He needs to averagearound 17-20 points per game and continue to be a major force on the glass.

Impact Newcomer

Balbay. Meet the Longhorns' point guard of the future. At the U-20 European Championships this past summer, Balbay led the Turkish teamin assists, was second in steals, third in rebounding and fourth in scoring. The faster he develops, the faster the Longhorns can take full advantage of all oftheir resources.

Lute pulled Dowell's scholly so he could make room for stover....and stover commits to ucla
roll.gif

Stover is going to back up Bobo 09 and Josh Smith 10. stover might not start until his senior year, depending who they get for the 2011 class.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

AJ >>> Everbody in Oklahoma including Juaquin Iglesias and T. Boone Pickens.
laugh.gif
Knock it off Dre...
laugh.gif
Tony Crocker gets a from me too... SA stand up
Crocker is THAT DUDE...
laugh.gif

I love that Oklahoma team, man... Crocker, Griffin boys, Warren, Austin Johnson...
pimp.gif

This Oklahoma team is better, IMO, than the one that made the Final Four with my favorite college player of all-time...
g_price_vt.jpg

pimp.gif

Good lord that seems like forever ago... It was only 2003.
laugh.gif

Hollis Price>>>>>>Your Life. Holle Price>>>>>Oklahoma sqaud. But on the real, it is a dissapointment in my mind if Oklahomadon't win the big 10.

I have been to Storrs on several occassions, I believe Malta is there currently, and I can understand why these kids get into trouble.

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

I have been to Storrs on several occassions, I believe Malta is there currently, and I can understand why these kids get into trouble.
Explanation? You could say that about any school.

Scoop Jardine, Rick Jackson and Jonny Flynn sexually assaulted a female student but Jonny got his charges dropped.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Miles will appeal the decision.

Watch him get back in.

It really depends on how badly Calhoun wants the kid. Friend of mine is convinced that he plants drugs & booze, etc. on the kids he no longer wants on histeam.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Miles will appeal the decision.

Watch him get back in.
UConn will definitely take the L in a huge way if they let him back in. A lot of student sections will have new chants this upcoming season.

I've been here for a good number of years...I call this place cow town...i understand that to a city kid, this place is the ultimate hell(coming from a NY kid)...but that doesn't warrant the type of behavior some of these athletes pull. Clearly you'd be a fool to say that athletes arethe only ones to commit these offenses but they definitely marginalize themselves when they do considering they are already in the spot light. There arethousands of students on this campus and somehow, we manage to stay out of trouble...Storrs isn't the issue...its their mentality.

Man Miles is an idiot. He's a couple grades behind me and went to the same Junior High and was supposed to go to the same high school I went too. The kidknew he talent and just stopped caring. I remember hearing stories about how he would just show up for practice after not being seen all week and wanting toplay in the game. Sad part was he was allowed to play. He bounced from high school to high school and never attempted to do any work. It's quite sad to seewhere he's headed. He has talent, no doubt about it, but I just don't see him getting to ever use it. He's gonna be the definition of a"woulda" kid, "Man I was the greatest. I woulda been in the league blah blah blah."

It's in the sticks....

Nah I'm not there anymore (got my MBA from UConn B-school this past year) but I am there alot as I still have friends on the soccer team andgot a couple buss it babies sprinkled across the campus. Storrs ain't really the yielding factor as why there are so many knuckleheads at UConn. I thinkit's just the individuals in general. Shhh like this happens EVERYWHERE, it's just a matter of getting caught or not. JJ Redick's track recordwould mirror Doug Wrenn's, it's just he didn't get caught and was smart with his shhhh.

I will say this though. Storrs does foster a party atmosphere cause ain't a got' damn thaing to do out there. Still, you could say the same about anybig school as well.

Storrs does foster a party atmosphere cause ain't a got' damn thaing to do out there. Still, you could say the same about any big school as well.

Gotta agree w. that...reminds me of URI, in that they are both in the middle of nowhere, but the parties are pretty crazy.

Athletes stand out at every school, but in a place like Storrs you can mulitply that by 100.
Don't even get me started, especially now that the football team think they the goods. !+# is disgusting, word to Cam.

run down of JJ Redick's track record necessary after that claim ...
nerd.gif

I could write a @#%%#$' novel if I actually took the time to go through what this dude got into at Duke. But again, you gotta realize thatalot of athletes get into @*!# that they just don't get caught for.

laugh.gif

Damn James...

You must've missed that other thread we had a while back...Detaling $%#* about a lot of college athletes....

$%#* was JOKES
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom