College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

Originally Posted by tmay407

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Nowitness,

you know anything bout this Keiton Page kid?

59c8e63c-6daa-49cc-8e6e-7ed42ba75d06.jpg

laugh.gif
Dude does not look like the kind of kid that would average 36 points a game as a junior...

Notre Dame needs to get on this kid. Him and Gody got identical 'cuts.

^^ He's gona be at Okie State this year...just wanted to know, cause if he can shoot the ball as advertised in Ford's system...he'd be fun towatch.

He looks like Allen....
In his dreams.

ASU returns 95% of it's scoring, 94% of it's rebounding and 95% of it's assists.

33rd best scoring D in the country last year. Didn't turn the ball over either.

ASU returns 95% of it's scoring, 94% of it's rebounding and 95% of it's assists.

33rd best scoring D in the country last year. Didn't turn the ball over either.
And I'm still not convinced Herb Sendek's system is capable of being successful over the course of an entire season. If the mainplaymaker/point guard gets hurt for a Sendek team, then that squad is gonna struggle more than any other team if they lost their playmaker/main ball handler.

imo, Harden and pendergraph don't have the supporting cast to win the pac-10 let alone making it to the final four
grin.gif

Abbott, Gasser, Shipp, Boateng, polk.....i'm not convinced

[h1]Lance Stephenson | Shooting Guard[/h1]

Hometown: Brooklyn, NY
Lincoln H.S. (NY)
Position rank: Shooting Guard # 2
Ht: 6'5" Wt: 220

[table][tr][td]Last Updated:10/6/2008[/td] [td]Data provided by Scouts, Inc.[/td] [/tr][/table]

Evaluation / Notes On the Trail / Features

[h3]Status[/h3]
Undeclared
[h3]Scouts Grade[/h3]
[h3]Considering:[/h3]
  • 2305.gif
  • 26.gif
  • 96.gif
  • 30.gif
  • 2599.gif
[h3]Evaluation[/h3]
August, 2008: Stephenson is a confident scorer that is in attack mode on both ends of the floor. He is a strong and physical wing that has not met a shot he didn't like. A shot creator in transition that knows how to get the ball to the rim. A good not great athlete that can get into the lane at will with his ball handling ability and strength that allows him to dribble through contact and draw fouls. Stephenson has great command of the ball as he kind of hops or skips when he is attacking off the dribble. He uses the hesitation, between the legs and spin moves to get by his defender. He likes too also bounce into a pull up jumper after one or two dribbles when he gets the defense on its heels with his quick first step. Stephenson is a good passer when he keeps it simple because he possesses excellent court vision. At times he will take chances with the ball by trying to make a great play in traffic that results in a turnover. A good three point shoot off the catch or dribble when he is set. Stephenson has great elevation, a high release and follows through. Also, Stephenson does a great job of using the shot fake to lift his defender at the start and end of drives. Defensively he attacks the ball with active hands and he really works to stay in front of the ball handler in order to cut off scoring drives. At times he gets too close to a live dribble and reaches going for steals and picks up cheap fouls but he has the offensive players full attention. A big time talent that can take his game to the next level once he has a better understanding of shot selection.

April, 2008: Stephenson arrived at this event (2008 The Difference) with a lofty reputation and for the most part lived up to it. He is an immense talent, but he has some kinks in the armor that need to be smoothened out to reach his upside. He is a big 2 guard with a solid handle (although he does pound the ball too much) and has a good looking stroke with range out to the stripe. In addition, he can break defenders down off the dribble (very explosive first step) with regularity, utilizing his chiseled frame and quickness. However, he isn't as bouncy as I originally thought -- more power and speed than lift. Overall though, he is a handful going to the basket and ends up at the foul line quite often. In addition to his power game he is quite the passer, especially on the break, and he didn't hunt for his shot as much as I had expected. But to reach his potential he needs to stop over-handling the ball and make a more concerted effort at the defensive end on a regular basis.

November, 2007: A strong, precocious combo guard with a winner's mentality. Great feel for the game to go along with his superb athleticism. Possesses a variety of tough, attack-style moves to the basket. A good, not a great shooter who plays best when he keeps an even keel. Lance has solid backcourt skills and court vision. He oozes confidence and wants the ball in crunch time. Few are tougher.

2007: His perimeter stroke is still a work in progress, and he's most effective in transition. He has gotten bigger, no doubt the result of an intensive workout regimen, but he's also lost a bit of his explosiveness off the dribble. Stephenson has always been a tremendous passer with great vision. Still, he is an undeniable talent who'll continue to intrigue scouts as his game and body mature over the next couple of years.
[h3]Notes[/h3]
Reports also say he's interested in Tennessee, Memphis and Texas...

Send Feedback

I'm praying this dude stays in the City w/ us.
frown.gif

For Stephenson, I think a couple factors come into play.

- Very good chance kid goes overseas but I will pretend that is not an option.
- If J.Wall goes to Kansas (good chance of that happening) than I can't see Stephenson going. He wants to be the man and he knows that won't happen ifWall is there. I think Kansas is the fav. if Wall doesn't commit.
- Don't see him going to Gillespie.
- Can't see him at UCLA. I don't think he is the right type of player to be in Howland's system. A little too immature and with malcom lee,possibly jrue still there, who says he is going to instantly start.
- I really think it will come down to the Jonnies then and Trojans. If he went to St. John's it would be a reynolds. He has the ability to single handedlybring people back tot he school. Really who doesn't wan the exposure of New York????

Lance having to do everything on that team and being coached, or rather not being coached by Roberts could be a disaster.

I'm really just throwin ASU out there...cause, well...it's kinda boring not to throw a sleeper team in to contend for a final 4/title.

I do think they win the Pac 10 though. and at the very least Sweet 16.

Originally Posted by PhilBalla09

imo, Harden and pendergraph don't have the supporting cast to win the pac-10 let alone making it to the final four
grin.gif

Abbott, Gasser, Shipp, Boateng, polk.....i'm not convinced
word, that's what makes me hesitant.

some of arizona state's scoring droughts last season were
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

some of arizona state's scoring droughts last season were
I used to root for these dudes last year cause they were the underdogs and I'm a big Harden fan and still root for Boateng but watching theirgames were painful last year. I was like "now where have I seen this type of doodoo offense before....Oh right at NC State. Go figure."

Allen, you want sleeper teams just off the top of the head who I think will perform better than ASU? Wake, Miami, UNLV, Baylor, Gonzaga. I could probablycome up with a handful of other teams if I thought about it but basically I'm just not convinced about them yet. The Pac-10 is gonna be weak again thisyear so them winning the title ain't really saying much. You put the 5 or 6th team in the Big East in the Pac-10 and they finishing 1st or 2nd.

Hahahaha yo E you stupid I just saw the same thing and came up in here...

But you see what J said at the end bout that deal this weekend??? If I was in the states done deal kid

Originally Posted by ShannonsCrooks

Originally Posted by tmay407

Nowitness,

you know anything bout this Keiton Page kid?

59c8e63c-6daa-49cc-8e6e-7ed42ba75d06.jpg

laugh.gif
Dude does not look like the kind of kid that would average 36 points a game as a junior...

Teddy Dupay called from jail, he wants his career back.

LOL Dude does look like Teddy

Alabama basketball added its second commitment to November's expected signing class today, and it's a name you might know: ShawnKemp.

There is a relation. The 6-foot-9 prep center from Cherokee High School in suburban Atlanta is the son of former NBA star Shawn Kemp.

Kemp Jr. chose Alabama over a final list that featured Washington and Nevada.

"I fit in pretty good (at Alabama)," Kemp Jr. said. "It's not too far and not too close. It's about a three-hour drive for me. Ican make it home when I need to."

Rivals rates Kemp Jr. as a four-star prospect and the nation's 96th-best recruit. He has gotten used to being asked about his famous father "everyday, four or five times," more and more during his own basketball recruitment.

"I play a little bit like him," Kemp Jr. said. "I try to do my own things sometimes, though."
http://
For more background on Kemp Jr., and his family check out this good story from SI.com this summer.

Kemp Jr. joins Chicago-area point guard Cully Payne. Houston-area point guardReger Dowell originally chose Alabama and then decommittedthis summer.

Interestingly, Dowell wound up committed to Arizona, but parted waysthere, too and remains available.

Not 100% sure if this was posted up:

Top 10 rebounders led by Washington's Brockman

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 | Print Entry

The best rebounders are the most productive rebounders.
In short, they get your team the ball when it is long or loose. Clearly, productivity in corralling missed shots follows athletic ability, size, technique and the understanding of angles, but primarily it follows the relentless pursuit of the ball. The best rebounders don't wait for the ball to come their way; they pursue it out of their area. They don't surrender to blockouts and they treat every shot as a missed shot, going to the glass at every opportunity. Here are the top rebounders going into the 2008-09 season:

1. Jon Brockman, Washington

Brockman won't win on "Dancing With the Stars," but he is a beast on the boards. He finished third in the nation in rebounding last year (11.6) -- behind only Michael Beasley and Jason Thompson -- both first-round NBA draft selections. He averaged 4.4 offensive rebounds per game last season and has a relentless nature. As the top returning rebounder in the nation, Brockman will likely lead the nation in rebounding in 2009.
ncb_g_hansbrough_200.jpg

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images

Tyler Hansbrough believes every rebound is his, and he has 943 career boards to his credit.

2. Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina

Hansbrough averaged 10.2 rebounds per game in the Heels' Final Four season, with four boards per game coming on the offensive glass. Hansbrough has grabbed almost 1,000 rebounds in three years (943) and will likely become North Carolina's all-time rebounding leader by the time he's through. He believes every ball is his, and goes after each one with the same fervor.

3. Blake Griffin, Oklahoma

Griffin averaged over nine rebounds per game in 2007-08, with 3.3 of those coming on the offensive end. He suffered through injuries, yet still went to the glass at every opportunity. A great athlete with tremendous strength, Griffin is undersized but has a huge heart.

4. Damion James, Texas
At just 6-foot-7, James finished in the top 15 in the nation in rebounding, averaging 10.3 per game. He grabbed over 3.1 offensive rebounds per game and uses his great feet and instincts to position himself. He has a great work ethic and a desire to finish the job. James will not allow himself to be blocked out.

5. Luke Harangody, Notre Dame

After averaging 10.6 rebounds per game, 3.5 of those on the offensive end, Harangody finished in the top 12 in the nation in rebounding and was named Big East Player of the Year. He uses his body to seal off, and he has great feet and hands. His work on the glass would be enough to make him one of the more valuable big men in the nation, and it gets him some "easy" baskets and trips to the line.

6. DeJuan Blair, Pittsburgh

Blair is barely 6-7, but he has long arms and a great attitude about rebounding. He averaged 9.1 rebounds per game and just under 4 offensive boards per game. Everybody remembers his 20 rebounds against Duke in Madison Square Garden in December, but Blair had eight other games of 13 rebounds or more.

7. Paul Harris, Syracuse

Pound for pound and inch for inch, Harris may be the best rebounder in the nation. At only 6-5, he averaged 8.2 rebounds per game, with 3 per game on the offensive end. Harris had 13 double-figure rebounding games, including seven with at least a dozen.

8. Jeff Adrien, UConn

Adrien averaged 9.1 rebounds per game, and did so as a 6-foot-7 forward. He is long-armed and really goes after the ball with passion and strength. Adrien rebounds at the same rate as Griffin and Blair each game, although both Blair and Griffin are more efficient per minute.

9. Jerome Jordan, Tulsa

Few players have come as far in the last year. He is a raw talent who can block shots, and his offensive game is coming. When aggressive, he is a very productive rebounder on a per-minute basis. Jordan averaged just under 8 rebounds per game, including almost 3 offensive rebounds per contest, but still hasn't learned to be a physical player. Based on his potential alone, Jordan is among the top 10 rebounders in the nation.

10. Goran Suton, Michigan State

Suton averaged 8.2 rebounds per game but is a very efficient rebounder per minute and on the offensive end. He had 10 double-figure rebound games and 10 more games with 9 rebounds per game. While his consistency could improve, Suton still is a hard-working rebounder who puts out great effort on a daily basis.

Lance having to do everything on that team and being coached, or rather not being coached by Roberts could be a disaster.

I'm really just throwin ASU out there...cause, well...it's kinda boring not to throw a sleeper team in to contend for a final 4/title.

I do think they win the Pac 10 though. and at the very least Sweet 16.
One of the reasons why I'm hesitant about Lance. I think the odds of him coming here are very high, but whether or not he qualifies is anotherstory.

thanks for that article shannon

i'd take PAul and Blair over Hansbrough for hittin the boards.

Virus breaks out on G'town campus

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 | Print Entry

Posted by Andy Katz

The outbreak of the norovirus on Georgetown's campus shut down the Hoyas' individual and team workouts the past week but none of the basketballplayers have been affected so far, Georgetown coach John Thompson III said Tuesday.

The virus forced the postponement of a number of athletic events last weekend, including the football team's game at Colgate.
"There were 70kids in the hospital and it started growing," Thompson III said. "It's like that 'cruise ship virus.' It's highly contagious andit's airborne." Thompson III said he's expecting the team will be allowed back in McDonough Gym, possibly this week, after the cleaning crew wasbrought in to sanitize the facility last weekend. Georgetown is planning on being a part of ESPNU's Midnight Madness event on Oct. 17th. "We stayedout of the gym and told our guys not to come around for pickup games but we're hoping to start up again [this week]," Thompson III said. "Wecould have gone to the other gym on campus but if it's here it could be there also. It feels like it's everywhere. The number of new cases started tosubside so hopefully it's over with." Thompson III said that no members of the staff have been affected.

• Prior to the outbreak, JT3 said that Florida State transfer Julian Vaughn hashelped provide experience in the early development of fellow big men, highly-touted freshman newcomer Greg Monroe and classmate Henry Sims."He's bringing that maturity and understanding of the game," JT3 said of Vaughn. "He's helping them along." Vaughn is eligibleright away after transferring from Florida State. He is from Virginia and due to extenuating circumstances was allowed to transfer without sitting out a year-- a point that a number of other schools are using in their hope to get players immediately eligible like USC's Alex Stepheson (from North Carolina) and Seton Hall's Keon Lawrence (Missouri) and Herb Pope (New Mexico State). Vaughn played in 31 games as a freshman, averaged 13.3 minutesand just three points and 2.3 boards a game for the Seminoles. "He's a big rugged kid that makes shots," JT3 said of the 6-foot-9, 246-poundVaughn.

• Monroe comes in with a lot of hype to be the next big-time big man out of Georgetown following a long line of NBA draft picks from the position. JT3 said the6-11 Monroe out of Harvey, La., is further along than former Hoya center Roy Hibbert was when he was a freshman. But don't mistake that for how Hibbertfinished as a senior, or even as a junior during the Hoyas' Final Four year. "People don't remember Roy as a freshman walking in the door,"JT3 said. Hibbert was a bit awkward as a freshman, still growing into his body and figuring out how to be an agile big man in an offense that demands a lot ofmovement from the post players. "He's more ready than Roy and has the potential in as much to have similar improvement and similar growth." JT3said Monroe's willingness to pass the ball is a huge plus for his ability to blend into the Hoyas' hybrid Princeton offense. Once again, the Hoyas willhave options with size in the 6-11 Monroe, 6-9 Vaughn, 6-10 Sims and the go-to guy on the roster in the 6-8 junior forward DaJuan Summers. Summers averaged 11.1 points last season, second best on the team behindHibbert's 13.4. But with Hibbert, Jonathan Wallace and Patrick Ewing Jr. all having departed as seniors and Vernon Macklin (Florida) and Jeremiah Rivers (Indiana) having transferred out, the onus is on Summers to be theexperienced, mature, accountable and dependable star on this squad. "That's who we see it being," Thompson III said of the go-to guy."He's put himself in position now." Still, there are others who can certainly score, and will be expected to like returning guards Jessie Sapp (9.7 ppg), Austin Freeman (9.1 ppg) and Chris Wright (5.7), who is healthy after playing in only 16 games as a freshman due to a leftfoot injury. Wright is the expected point guard to replace the steady and reliable Wallace. Wright didn't play in any of the Big East regular-season games,returning for the conference tournament. "We've got different people who could be significant threats offensively," JT3 said. "We'recoming together as a cohesive unit. We'll figure out how to win games."

• Must say that JT3 continues to blaze his own trail at Georgetown in scheduling. The Hoyas once again will take on a challenging slate with the Old SpiceClassic in Orlando (Michigan State, Gonzaga, Tennessee, Oklahoma State, Siena, Maryland and Wichita State), Nov. 27-30, hosting a return game with Memphis(Dec. 13), and traveling to Duke (Jan. 17) in a continuing series. Oh, and then there is a Big East opener that wasn't the Hoyas' choice, atConnecticut on Dec. 29. The Big East only has four-to-five potential Final Four teams and as many as 11 of the 16 teams starting the season with legitimatehopes to make the field of 65.

Hansbrough gets alot of those cheap boards, for lack of a better term. My brother has always said they should have some sort of stat for contested rebounds orrebounds in traffic, if that is even possible and considering the way they break down games these days it has to be, to give you a better idea as to who is alegit force on the boards.

go-to guy on the roster in the 6-8 junior forward DaJuan Summers. Summers averaged 11.1 points last season, second best on the team behind Hibbert's 13.4. But with Hibbert, Jonathan Wallace and Patrick Ewing Jr. all having departed as seniors and Vernon Macklin (Florida) and Jeremiah Rivers (Indiana) having transferred out, the onus is on Summers to be the experienced, mature, accountable and dependable star on this squad. "That's who we see it being," Thompson III said of the go-to guy. "He's put himself in position now."
Go to guy by default is never a good thing. Going with Austin Freeman as being the man for the Hoyas this year. Even though he didnt put up big#'s he seemed more assertive than the likes of Summers on the offensive end.

Hansbrough gets alot of those cheap boards, for lack of a better term. My brother has always said they should have some sort of stat for contested rebounds or rebounds in traffic, if that is even possible and considering the way they break down games these days it has to be, to give you a better idea as to who is a legit force on the boards.
Yes...UNC and the way they play is very conducive to him getting his.

Austin is solid...can flat out shoot it....but with reports of how Dajuan has looked in the off season...it very well might be his squad. For III to sayhe's put himself in that spot now is pretty high raise and kinda outa character.

Duke basketball has clearly put a full court press on its recruitment of the 2010 class, earning three commitments from some of the top players in the country.The quest to build one of Duke's best classes in the last several seasons continues and among those being targeted is five-star small forward Roscoe Smith of Baltimore (Md.) Walbrook High.

The 6-foot-7.5, 180 pound recruit made a rapid climb up the rankings and onto some of the nation's top programs' recruiting boards over the last year.He did this without participating in summer AAU ball, a decision his father, Brian Thompson, said was to allow Smith to focus on his upcoming SAT exams.

For Thompson, entertaining phone calls, letters and coaches stopping by the school to watch his son in action is all new. It's something he says is agrowing process in which he is facing everything for the first time along with his son.

"I am new at this, too," Thompson said. "Helping him pick a college is new to me and the one thing we've learned early on is it's aprocess. We are going through this together and I want to just make sure the proper decision is made. Recruiting is just really starting to take off so he iswide open right now.

"When we discuss schools and his recruiting we talk long term. We talk about a four-year degree and how he can benefit from a school long term. He isgoing to take advantage of the opportunities he has and academics are the important thing, first and foremost. That is one reason we didn't allow him toplay AAU ball this summer. We're not worried about the basketball end of things, that will take care of itself."

With the family's main focus centered on academics and making sure Smith has prepared himself in the classroom for life after high school, much of therecruiting process has taken a back seat at this stage. Thompson has, however, had some contact with the Duke coaching staff, but much of the communicationbetween the Blue Devils, Smith and Thompson have gone through his high school coach.

"We've been getting a little interest from Duke," Thompson said. "I've talked to Coach K and Nate James was at open gym [two weeks ago].We really can't talk to them that much, so most of the contact has been to his coach. Coach Wojo is his main recruiter and he's been in touch with hiscoach a whole lot. They like him. We do know that."

Much like other recruits and their families, Thompson and Smith have taken notice of Mike Krzyzewski's recent successes with the USA Olympic team.

"It just shows that you're definitely getting a good quality coach in Coach K," Smith's father continued. "Anytime you can get a guythat can pull the personal traits of a team full of all-stars and make them one team is truly an incredible thing. Just for him to have the chance to guidethis team says a lot about who he is and what he has accomplished.

"Of course when you're looking into a school you look at the head coach and point out the advantages and disadvantages and that would certainly serveas an advantage."

In addition to Duke's recruitment of Smith, archrival North Carolina is also deeply involved with the talented junior. According to his father the TarHeels are watching him any chance they get.

"They have always mentioned to us that they like to get to know the kid and the family and right now they are definitely showing high interest. RoyWilliams comes to watch him or talk to him every chance he is allowed to. They, along with Duke and a lot of others, have shown strong interest."

When asked what programs had currently offered the junior, Thompson proceeded to rattle off a list of schools that would bring a smile to just about anyone's face.

"He's got offers from Syracuse, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, Temple, Villanova, Wake Forest, Connecticut, Florida, Florida State, Memphis,Maryland, Texas A&M, Georgetown, Kansas, Kentucky, Texas, UCLA, Louisville, and I'm sure I'm leaving someone off. I can't really even think ofeverybody that has offered. There are a lot of schools that have interest."

Because there are so many programs that are currently interested, Smith has not yet begun to narrow his list and according to Thompson it will be a whilebefore that is done.

"He's wide open right now and just about everybody is recruiting him the same," he said. "We just want to make sure he chooses the schoolthat is the best fit. Hopefully before his senior season he'll have the decision made. That way he can have fun his senior season and not have to worryabout a decision hanging over him. At that point he can start building a better relationship with the school he chooses."

Really, no point to this article.

Back
Top Bottom