College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

[h4]008-09 Team Capsules[/h4]
big_12.gif

Baylor
The Bears could be poised for back-to-back trips to the NCAA tournament for the first time in school history with the return of eight of their top nine scorersfrom last season's team. The Bears return four starters from the team that fell to Purdue in the first round of the tournament -- Baylor's first NCAAtrip in 20 years -- losing only guard Aaron Bruce. Guard Curtis Jerrells could blossom as a senior after averaging a team-leading 15.3 points per gamelast season. And the future looks bright as coach Scott Drew attracted junior college forward Artem Valov, lanky 6-9 freshman Anthony Jones and former Michigan forward Ekpe Udoh into the program. Udoh, who averaged 5.5 ppg and 4.5 rpg in 67 career games (31starts) for the Wolverines, will sit out the 2008-09 season with two seasons of remaining eligibility. Colorado
Coach Jeff Bzdelik will face a big challenge after losing three starters from last season's 12-20 team, including leading scorers Richard Roby, MarcusHall and Xavier Silas, who combined for 40.7 ppg. Improvement will hinge on thecontinued development of Cory Higgins, who averaged 8.3 ppg last season as a freshman-- Colorado's only returning player who scored at least 5 ppg. The Buffaloes bring in five newcomers, headed by 6-7 forward Toby Veal and 6-8 Austin Dufault. They will be joined inside by senior Jermyl Jackson-Wilson, who has struggled in matchups with larger opponents during most of hiscollege career. Bzdelik was interviewed by Chicago general manager John Paxson before the Bulls hired Vinny Del Negro for their vacant coaching position.Bzdelik said he felt more of a responsibility to his Colorado players than the NBA job. IowaState
The Cyclones started last season 12-6, but limped home to a disappointing 14-18 record by finishing with six straight losses and 12 losses in their final 14games. Coach Greg McDermott faces a huge rebuilding job this season after losing scoring and rebounding leader Jiri Hubalek, RahshonClark and second-leading scorer Wesley Johnson, who transferred to Syracuse afterlast season. McDermott's biggest immediate need is to find some punch for an offense that ranked 11th in scoring and last in field goal percentage and3-point field goal percentage. McDermott will be looking for a boost from forward CraigBrackins (11.4 ppg, 5.0 rpg) and guard Lucca Staiger, a legitimate 3-pointthreat. A deep, incoming six-man freshman class will improve the Cyclones' size with the arrival of 6-foot-11 center Justin Hamilton and three power forwards. Kansas
The Jayhawks will be facing the biggest rebuilding job of coach Bill Self's career with five new starters. Look for Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich to become the featured players, although juco swingman Mario Little could emerge as the Jayhawks' key offensive threat. TheJayhawks had one of the most memorable NBA drafts with five players taken in the two rounds. Kansas tied Connecticut in 2006 and Florida in 2007 for the mostplayers selected in the two-round era. Self will attempt to rebuild with a deep incoming recruiting class including twin power forwards Markieff Morris and Marcus Morris, shooting guard Travis Releford, point guard Tyrone Appleton (Midland J.C.) and swift point guard Tyshawn Taylor. A trip to Canada in early September will be critical as theJayhawks attempt to build the team chemistry necessary to defend their national championship. Kansas State
Coach Frank Martin will be challenged to rebuild after losing four starters from last season's team that made the program's first NCAA tournament tripsince 1996 and claimed its first NCAA tournament win since 1988. The Wildcats lost Big 12 Player of the Year Michael Beasley (conference-leading totals of 26.2 ppg and 12.4 rpg), who was the second pickin the NBA draft. Also gone are Bill Walker (16.1 ppg), guards Clent Stewart and BlakeYoung, and David Hoskins, who missed last season with a knee injury and won't petition the NCAA for a sixth season of eligibility. Their departureswill open up featured scoring roles for guard Jacob Pullen and forward Dominique Sutton, who struggled with injuries after he was declared eligible at midterm. Andlook for jet-quick Miami transfer point guard Denis Clemente to take over a starting position. Missouri
After suspending five players for parts of last season, coach Mike Anderson is looking for a more coachable team with better defensive production in his thirdseason. The Tigers return four starters from last season's 16-16 team that opened the conference race by upsetting Texas but played inconsistentlythroughout the season. Missouri's major loss will be point guard Keon Lawrence,who led the team in minutes played but transferred to Seton Hall to be closer to home. The group will be bolstered by a five-man freshman class and transferZaire Taylor (Delaware) and junior college forward Keith Ramsey(Okaloosa-Walton J.C.). And the core of the team will be relatively unaffected with the return of Leo Lyons and DeMarreCarroll as a tough frontcourt tandem who combined to average 26.1 ppg and 12.4 rpg. Nebraska
A 20-win season capped by an NIT victory gave coach Doc Sadler his first postseason appearance with the Cornhuskers. But his work is cut out for him thisseason after the graduation of leading scorer and rebounder Aleks Maric. Four otherstarters are back -- guards Ryan Anderson, Ade Dagunduro, CookieMiller and Steve Harley -- but the Cornhuskers have to find some inside punch.Sadler lost top recruit Roburt Sallie, who was ruled ineligible afterhaving previously enrolled at Nebraska in 2006 without meeting initial eligibility requirements. Now he's headed for Memphis. Former Oregon State signeeEshaunte Jones arrives from Hargrave Military Academy (Va.). And raw6-11 center Christopher Niemann, a recruit from Germany,will get a shot at immediate playing time because of Maric's departure. Oklahoma
The return of leading scorer Blake Griffin, who considered declaring for the NBAdraft, and the arrival of heralded point guard Willie Warren shouldresult in Jeff Capel's best team in Norman. The Sooners will return four starters -- forwards Blake and Taylor Griffin and guards Austin Johnson and TonyCrocker -- from last season's 23-12 team that advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament. Center Longar Longar left school, providing an immediate chance for 6-11, 270-pound center Orlando Allen from Paris (Texas) Junior College to fill in. Warren and Johnsonwill be joined by a pair of juco transfers, Juan Pattillo and Kyle Cannon, and Ryan Wright, who competed at two Final Fours at UCLA beforetransferring last season. Oklahoma State
New coach Travis Ford arrives from Massachusetts, hoping to pick up the pieces from last season's 17-16 team that cost Sean Sutton his coaching job. Thecupboard isn't bare as four of five starters return, losing only defensive whiz Marcus Dove. OSU's four top scorers are back, but Ford's success will depend on thedevelopment of inside players Martavius Adams and Ibrahima Thomas and better rebounding. The perimeter looks solid with the return of scoringleader James Anderson (13.3 ppg), Obi Muonelo and point guard Byron Eaton, who ranked second in scoring and led the team in assists. Terrel Harris' status remains iffy after he was indefinitely suspended by Ford in lateApril. Texas
Despite losing point guard .J. Augustin to the NBA draft, the remaining Longhornsmake Texas a solid threat to advance to the NCAA tournament for the 10th straight season. A.J. Abrams returns after backing out of the draft and could play either guard position,depending on the development of Turkish point guard DogusBalbay, who missed last season with a knee injury. Underrated guard Justin Masonis back, along with starting interior players Damion James and Connor Atchley from last season's 31-7 team that advanced to the Elite Eight. With such adeep returning backcourt, incoming freshman guards Varez Ward andJ'Covan Brown won't get much initial playing time. Texas A&M
The Aggies struggled during much of Big 12 play before playing strongly in the NCAA tournament, losing a tight second-round game to UCLA to finish at 25-11.They lose three of their top six scorers in four-year starter Joseph Jones, startingguard Dominique Kirk and center DeAndre Jordan, a second-round NBA pick. But coach Mark Turgeon will welcome back leadingscorer Josh Carter (12.2 ppg), point guard Donald Sloan (9.5 ppg, 3.4 apg) and bullish power forward Bryan Davis (8.7 ppg, 4.9 rpg). And Turgeon landed heralded Florida high school prospectsDavid Loubeau, a power forward, and point guard Dashan Harris, who both should contend for immediate playing time. Texas Tech
Pat Knight's first full season will be keyed by the return of four of his five leading scorers from last season's 16-15 team, losing only scoringleader Martin Zeno. Knight will be hoping for continued improvement from point guardJohn Roberson and power forward Mike Singletary, who both showed impressive flashes as freshmen. And perimeter threatAlan Voskuil (13.1 ppg) is the team's leading returning scorer. But the biggest key for Knight's program will be hitting the recruiting trail hard in order toupgrade Tech's talent, which has been lagging over the past several seasons.
[h4]Big 12's best[/h4]By Fran Fraschilla
ESPN Fran Fraschilla counts down the best teams in the Big 12 for the upcoming season: 1. Texas: Damion James is the Longhorns' next lottery pick. And if Turkish freshman Dogus Balbay is the real deal, this team should play into the second weekend of the NCAA tournament. 2. Kansas: The defending national champions may be reloading but there is fresh talent here. Lots of it. Even with the baby brigade, they are not losing much at Allen Fieldhouse. 3. Oklahoma: Blake Griffin is a solid favorite to be the first pick in next June's NBA draft. If freshman Willie Warren is the real deal, OU can contend for the Big 12 title. 4. Baylor: The Bears will improve on a school-record nine conference wins this season on the strength of explosive guard play. If the defense tightens up, you are talking about a Sweet 16 team. 5. Texas A&M: If freshman point guard Dashan Harrris is ready to step in and run the show, look for Josh Carter and the Aggies to have a big year. 6. Missouri: It's been a rough first two years for coach Mike Anderson, but there is talent here and, if the team's chemistry is good, the Tigers are an NCAA sleeper. 7. Oklahoma State: If new coach Travis Ford can get the players to buy into his up-tempo system, the Cowboys, led by sophomore James Anderson, will be a wild card in the Big 12 race. 8. Nebraska: Coach Doc Sadler has a bunch of relatively unknown players, but nobody plays harder and defends like the Huskers. Ade Dagunduro is a senior shooting guard who could make a name for himself. 9. Kansas State: Recruiting has gone well for the Wildcats, but you don't replace Michael Beasley and Bill Walker, although Miami transfer Denis Clemente will try. 10. Texas Tech: Sophomore John Roberson is a scoring point guard around whom coach Pat Knight will build, so don't be surprised if the Red Raiders' tempo is sped up a bit. 11. Colorado: Coach Jeff Bzdelik is pleased with his first recruiting haul, but learning the Princeton/Air Force system will take awhile. 12. Iowa State: Greg McDermott is a fine coach, but defections and injuries have brought the Cyclones' rebuilding process to a halt.

The schedule has to change. Football separated the conference into divisions for scheduling. Basketball went with one division, but not in terms of scheduling. And the problem is that recently, Kansas and Texas have often been battling for the top spot in the league, but played each other just once in the regular season. That is a mistake. The Big 12 is missing out on a chance to create even more intense rivalries. But let's not just limit it to Kansas and Texas. Currently, the imbalance of the North and South divisions -- with rebuilding programs at Colorado, Iowa State and Nebraska in the North -- gives a decided advantage to the schools like Kansas and Kansas State, which play them twice. The South home-and-home games are tougher right now with Texas, Oklahoma, Baylor, Oklahoma State and Texas A&M matching up against each other. Switching up the opponents that each team plays twice would be more equitable.

That's a great idea. The North sucks at basketball (other than Kansas, who might have a down year this season). Other than Kansas, I don't really see ateam in the North that could possibly finish in the top half of the league.

A guy I know that plays for Colorado swears they'll be good this year though
laugh.gif

Fran's predicted placings look good to me too, except I would a small adjustment. Move Oklahoma to 1, Texas down to 2, then Baylor/Kansas at 3/4. I'dalso probably switch Oklahoma State and Missouri.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see AJ Abrams doing much at the point. Hopefully Justin Mason can step in as the point guard for the Longhorns, because Ireally don't trust Abrams being a good point guard. With J'Covan Brown possibly not qualifying, Texas is gonna need Abrams to be damn good at pointguard.

OSU can be much improved this year. Ford is really gona push things. Anderson should excel.

Oklahoma can be pretty damn good.

And Damion Jams can be BIG TIME.

Can't wait to see more of Aldrich as well.....True 5's with post skills are few and far between .

Yall finally got into my territory.
laugh.gif
Been waiting for some BigXii chatter... Watching Damion James and Blake Griffin go at it this year should beentertaining. And Bryan Davis will explode for the Aggies... Cole Aldrich will do work for Kansas. He's about the only real legit center type in theconference...

Oklahoma is the best team in the BigXii, and I don't see how anyone else is close, especially if J'Covan Brown fails to qualify at Texas... Kansas at 2right now has to be a joke...

Going into the year I see it as Oklahoma, Texas, Baylor, Texas A&M, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Mizzou, Nebraska, Texas Tech, Kansas State, Colorado, IowaState...

Oklahoma State could get back on top of this conference if Ford opens up the offense and pushes the tempo... If Terrel Harris gets back into the mix,they'll be able to go with 4 guards (Harris, Eaton, Muonelo, Anderson) with Ibrahima Thomas or Martavius Adams and really create problems for anyone elsein the conference... Somebody take a look back at that 2005 recruiting class and the potential it had if all those kids went to school...
sick.gif
Brumbaugh, Green,Eaton, Harris, Flemings, Kenny Cooper... Then they followed it up in 2006 with Gary Flowers and Obi Muonelo.
smh.gif
SICK. Too bad half of them either never made iton campus or have left the program for different reasons...

Texas better hope Dogas Balbay is ready to play immediately, because they want no part of AJ Abrams at the lead guard... But I'd love to see Barnes throwout a more traditional lineup and get Damion James back at his natural SF spot... Go with Abrams/Mason/James/Johnson/Atchley ... Bring Balbay, Wangmene,Chapman, Brown, Pittman off the bench... I really wish he'd stop recruiting ****** SGs like Abrams and Varez Ward, though.

I really like the track Baylor is on right now... Anthony Jones and Artem Velov should be able to step in and help on the blocks from day one... The guard playis going to be disgusting. If they get consistent production from Kevin Rogers, Jones, Velov and their other bigs, they'll be in good shape.

I still don't see why people hate Donald Sloan at point guard for Texas A&M... Last year was the first year he'd really ever played the position,and he did a pretty decent job for the most part. Dash Harris stepping in and helping carry the load wouldn't hurt though, as it would allow Sloan to getback into the scoring mindset he dominated high school ball with... David Loubeau is a STUD. Him and Bryan Davis is gonna be a tough pair to matchup with, andthey complement each other really well. Outside of those two though, A&M is really thin inside...

And yeah, the BigXii needs to fix it's scheduling when it comes to hoops... They need to make one big division for basketball, and follow along the samescheduling system as the Big East... The North division sucks so bad... It's a monster advantage to Kansas year in and year out.

Looks like a conference that'll get 6 tournament bids again this year, and maybe 7 if Mizzou catches some breaks along the way.

if Ford opens up the offense and pushes the tempo...
he definitely will....UMass played as uptempo as anyone out there.
Watching Damion James and Blake Griffin go at it this year should be entertaining.
Put me in the James camp. I prefer him to Griffin. Just needs some more polishing.

Originally Posted by dreClark

I guess I'm the only one who likes AJ Abrams, huh??

laugh.gif
smh.gif

GARBAGE. You seen dude against Memphis and other teams with top flight athletes?
sick.gif

Where do you think Lance Stephenson is going to school? Does Tennessee have a shot?

-- Jon from Knoxville
-----
Tennessee did get a mention by Stephenson when I interviewed him at the beginning of July at the USA U18 National Team Trials. At that point he named Kansas,Memphis and Tennessee as the three schools he was looking at the hardest. He also mentioned St. John's, Texas, North Carolina and Duke as schools ofinterest.

A couple of days ago there was some buzz going around that Stephenson might have committed to Memphis. When I spoke with Stephenson about the speculationconcerning Memphis, he denied having committed. He told me Kansas, Memphis, USC and Texas were the schools he was looking at the hardest.

In between these two interviews I've seen a variety of schools mentioned by Stephenson. Speculation about him going to St. John's has been strong. Sothe point is, there is a whole lot of guess work going on in trying to get a handle on Stephenson's recruitment. Two schools, however, that seem to bemainstays on his revolving school list are Kansas and Memphis.

Tennessee probably does have a shot, but I'd term it a long shot. And with Stephenson, I expect a lot of rumors to circulate - including him followingBrandon Jennings to Europe - before he makes an official decision.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Originally Posted by allen3xis

^ full schedules probably aren't gona be available for another month or so..

However..For cuse..

Jeff Goodman, a nice guy as well as the esteemed college basketball writer for Foxsports.com, had a notebook recently in which he listed some of Virginia's non-conference games. One of those included Virginia playing at Syracuse on Nov. 28. So now we've got the CBE Classic (two games at the Carrier Dome; two in Kansas City), Cornell at SU on Dec. 3; Long Beach State at SU on Dec. 13 and SU at Memphis on Dec. 20.

And do yall teach thievery up there or what?
laugh.gif
I don't know what's in the water but a lot of athletes act dumb up here. Good looks on some of the schedule. Finally, a decent OOC on the road opponent.

JRS, don't get your hopes up about Durand. He doesn't like playing ball. He plays b/c he's good. Him and my brother go to the same school and played AAU together since they were nine and he knows what he's talking about. If you turned on a NBA game, Durand wouldn't know who's who, that's how bad it is.

That would be a damn shame if that's true becuase he is extremely talented and could make a big name for himself.

On Lance he will go to either Kansas, St. John's or Europe. The chances of him qualifying are low and he has a terrible attitude. I'm calling itnow, regardless of where he goes he will be a BUST, one of the biggests BUSTS out of NY.

I'm still high on Lance.

But !@$ has dude been all summer ?!

I know he's gonna show out at the elite 24 coming up though ...

Hasn't played too well and the US 18-U coaches were not a fan of his attitude.

I hope he chooses a school/coach that can have him be a part of a team/system. And not play in the craziness which is Memphis and Tennessee and expect to be 1and done.

I think Texas or Kansas would be great fits for him.

I hope he chooses a school/coach that can have him be a part of a team/system. And not play in the craziness which is Memphis and Tennessee and expect to be 1 and done.

I think Texas or Kansas Duke would be a great fit for him.

Originally Posted by iJamesOnNT

I'm still high on Lance.

But !@$ has dude been all summer ?!

I know he's gonna show out at the elite 24 coming up though ...

I saw him a couple of times this summer. Once ballin with the St. John's squad where he looked beyond pathetic that I actually had to ask is thatreally Lance Stephenson. And the other times I saw him were at team camp at St. John's where he fouled out in the first half in 3 of his games and pickedup 3 techs in those games. He thinks he's better than he is and he will be lucky to qualify because he doesn't care at all about academics. His view onstudy hall is simple, "We don't do that at Lincoln" I'm not saying I wouldn't take him at St. John's but he is going to be abust.

Also Allen, the only 2 times Bob McKillop cursed at the U.S. games was at Lance. He's got a lot of growing up to do.

Duke could be a good fit for him but he'll fail miserably.

Yeah..

I remember watching Lance and Lincoln play against....??? Boys and girls, maybe??? The squad with the female head coach when stuff started going off in thestands in MSG..

And Lance was an instigator on court...

Didn't like seeing that, thought the past year or 2 he's changed his attitude....maybe reverting back to those ways.

I still think he's great and can be so. When he's playing with his head on straight, he's the best wing in the class to me. As I said before, Wallfinally convinced me of overall player.

Just hope he chooses the right program.

Pics from Kenner League final....Wright has hit the weights.
http://guhoyas.cstv.com/view.gal?id=32203

Match ups with him and Jonny 2 times a year are gona be fierce.
pimp.gif

EVERLEY TO JOIN OVERSEAS WAVE?[table][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [td]
1111-ARKPATBEVERLEY_250.JPG
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Patrick Beverley is no longer a member of the Arkansas basketball program.[/td] [/tr][/table]By now you know that Arkansas will be without junior guard Patrick Beverley (12.1 ppg, 6.6 rpg) this season.
South Florida coach Stan Heath,who recruited Beverley to Fayetteville out of Chicago's Marshall High, told Rivals.com Wednesday that he had not spoken with his former player. A"source close to the program" told The Sporting News Today in its Wednesday online edition that Beverley "is expected to seek a contract with aprofessional team overseas."

Arkansas put out one of the shortest news releases in history late Friday regarding Beverley. It read:

Junior guard Patrick Beverley will not compete for the Razorbacks in the 2008-09 basketball season.

The University of Arkansas, including its administrators and coaches, will have no further comment due to student privacy laws.

If Beverley does sign with an agent and play overseas, hopefully he'll get some good advice and explain his departure in full. Sooner or later, NBAexecutives will be demanding to know, so it would be in his best interest to get in front of the story.

Expect word on Beverley's future plans sometime in the next week.

TIP-INS

• Georgia State coach Rod Barnes continues to landhigh-profile transfers for the Panthers. The latest is former NC State guard Marques Johnson, who will make Georgia State his third school in three years. He startedat Tennessee before transferring to NCSU. Johnson averaged 2.0 points and 1.6 rebounds last season. The Panthers will have fivetransfers who are coming eligible this season, including players from MississippiState, Ole Miss and Wake Forest.

• In an upset in the final of the adidas Nations event in Dallas, the U.S. 2010 team knocked off the U.S. 2009 team 95-92 behind 24 points from Jared Sullinger (No. 3 overall, No. 2 powerforward). Lance Stephenson, a 2009 prospect (No. 7overall, No. 2 shooting guard), led all scorers with 34 points. •

• There were about 20 college counselors at the Adidas event, including Arizona State'sJames Harden and Louisville'sTerrence Williams. The counselors were divided into four teams. UCLA senior guard Darren Collison played with incoming UCLAfreshman guard Jrue Holiday (No. 2 overall, No. 1 pointguard) on a team. Word is they looked as if they had been playing together for years.

DeAndre Liggins declared eligible.

And Memphis got a JUCO player...Will Coleman from Dade County. Who is supposed to be Joey Dorsey 2.0

Originally Posted by dreClark

I hope he chooses a school/coach that can have him be a part of a team/system. And not play in the craziness which is Memphis and Tennessee and expect to be 1 and done.

I think Texas or Kansas Duke would be a great fit for him.

Seems like Duke would be a good fit for him, but he wouldn't be a good fit for Duke.

Lance just doesn't seem like a Duke player. I don't think he would have much of a positive impact. Got plenty of guards/wings. Give us somesize/post-presence instead.

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- West Virginia and three other schools that made deep runs in the NCAA tournament will meet in the Jimmy V Classic doubleheader on Dec. 9 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

The 14th annual event, announced Wednesday, is named in honor of the late North Carolina State coach Jim Valvano and benefits The V Foundation for Cancer Research.

West Virginia and Davidson will play at 7 p.m. EST. Texas will play Villanova at 9 p.m. Both games will be shown on ESPN.

Villanova and West Virginia were ousted in the regional semifinals and Texas and Davidson were regional finalists.

The seventh annual Jimmy V Women's Basketball Classic on Dec. 8 will pit Georgia at Rutgers at 7 p.m. on ESPN2.

I know these games have probably already been mentioned, but those are gonna be two good games.

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

Lance sighting.

Jrue Holiday is definitely the truth.

I'm still not sold on Collison being an AA ...

Best pg in the country Ill put $$ on it. Dudes get it twisted cus of that UCLA offense. He was still the second leading scorer on the team and was probablythe most clutch player in the country.

Back
Top Bottom