College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

Yea I think he will. Mike Davis forms strong bonds with players. If he commited their in the first place something must have had drawn him in.

Preseason NIT matchups announced today...

All first-round games will be held Nov. 17 with regional finals scheduled for the following night.

Winners will advance to the Garden for semifinals and finals Nov. 26 and 28.

The remaining 12 teams will play third- and fourth-round games at sites of three highest remaining seeds.

North Regional (@ Purdue) - Purdue vs. Eastern Michigan
Georgia vs. Loyola (Ill.)

West Regional (@ Arizona) - Arizona vs. Florida Atlantic
Santa Clara vs. UAB

South Regional (@ Oklahoma)- Oklahoma vs. Mississippi Valley State
Davidson vs. James Madison

East Regional (@ Boston College) - Boston College vs. Loyola (Md.)
St. John's vs. Cornell

I can see him sticking with it, if being close to home is important.

..Siena smacked some Italy team by 50..

Kenny - 23 points, 9-10, 4-4 from three...5 boards, 4 assists.

And Eddie went for 21, 9-11, 7 assists...and is running the point when needed....at 6'7.

Things are about to get ugly. Last season was nothin.
smh.gif

St. John's vs. Cornell
St. John's can easily lose this
tired.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by allen3xis

I can see him sticking with it, if being close to home is important.

..Siena smacked some Italy team by 50..

Kenny - 23 points, 9-10, 4-4 from three...5 boards, 4 assists.

And Eddie went for 21, 9-11, 7 assists...and is running the point when needed....at 6'7.

Things are about to get ugly. Last season was nothin.
smh.gif

St. John's vs. Cornell
St. John's can easily lose this
tired.gif
laugh.gif

Unless somebody steps up besides Justin Burrell, who is a complete beast on both sides of the floor, we will lose this game imo.
tired.gif

So just read this short article on rivals and wanted to know who do you think is better at this point John Wall or Lance Stephenson? Should Wall be the numberon player in the 2009 class?

Rivals.com
The nation's top 24 ranked high school basketball players will descend once again upon New York City's famed Rucker Park for the third annual BoostMobile Elite 24 event.

Lance Stephenson
This year's event will feature Class of 2009 phenoms Lance Stephenson (Lincoln High School - New York, N.Y.) up against John Wall (Word of God - Raleigh,N.C) pro- coaches Chauncey Billups and Kenny Anderson, and the inaugural Slam Dunk Contest.

NYC Hoops will bring you full coverage of not only Friday's All-star game and inaugural Slam Dunk competition but also the Practice/Scrimmage and Slam Dunkcompetition qualifier that takes place on Thursday.

John Wall
Often times the Elite 24 scrimmage is almost as exciting as the game, most likely because there are no lights, camera or expectations and players are morerelaxed. Last year during the scrimmage, for example, there was a spirited one-one-one competition between Stephenson and Virginia bound Sylven Landesberg thatwas not seen during the game.

In addition, this year Stephenson will be not only the most veteran player but one of the few players to have participated on every Boost Mobile Elite 24 eventsince inception. Look for him to really show his swag, going up against Wall.

During the Steve Nash Skills Academy early this summer, Stephenson went at Wall, mano y mano. That fact that Wall is widely recognized as #1 in the nation inthe Class of 2009, does not sit well with rising senior from Brooklyn. Look for Stephenson to try to set the record straight.

I'd imagine Lance's ranking goes DOWN after the summer is completely over...people are starting to realize he isnt so "dominant" againstthese dudes on the summer circuit as he is in NYC.

Just came back from the hood (Lower East Side) and found out some important information on NY/NJ guard Epps. Other schools such as Pitt andSeton Hall are stillin the mix for the 2010 guard but it is looking like Maryland will have the upper hand. This kid is going to be scary good by the time he is a freshmen incollege and look for his ranking to move up much higher.

August 8, 2008

Keith S. Cavanaugh

Talk about it in Terrapin Times Premium Message Board
For months now the Terps' 2010 recruiting wish-list has been led by this New Jersey point guard who could be the most important recruit in the class.

Plainfield, NJ standout Isaiah Epps returned to play in Las Vegas last month at the adidas 'Super 64' Tournament after a sore back sidelined him forthe Reebok All American Camp in Philadelphia, Pa. two weeks before.

Epps, the 6-1 quicksilver lefty moving his game from combo guard to point this spring and summer, helped guide the Playaz Basketball Club Red squad to thefinals before losing despite a 23-point effort by the junior-to-be.

Epps said after a Wednesday night blowout win over Strike, in which he scored 12 points -- all on three-pointers with Chuck Driesell looking on -- and dishedfive assists, that Maryland is still recruiting him the hardest, and that he had one new offer to report, Houston.

"Maryland is still recruiting me the hardest. Them and Pittsburgh next," he said.

He said Maryland, Pitt, Rutgers and Seton Hall still comprise his top four and main offer list.

"The starting position, that's what I want to hear," he said of what jumps out most about Maryland's pitch to him, and Maryland will havethat for him in place as Eric Hayes and Greivis Vasquez will have graduated. "When I start off going to college, I want to start as a freshman."

Epps was sad to see his former high school coach, Pete Vasil, leave Plainfield last month. Epps said he was one of his closest friends.
Epps said he will likely prep his senior year at St. Benedict's (NJ) because of his age.

Epps said he will likely wait until after his junior season to make a college pledge.

Epps visited Maryland last month but has yet to trip to others, like Pittsburgh, which he hopes to do next.

"They both play the same way that I play, just get the ball and just go," he said. "They run the ball fast and set plays for the guards, setscreens and all that."

He was still beaming about his UM campus visit in June and said he hopes to be at some Terps games this fall and winter.

"I liked everything about Maryland from the staff, the campus, the training staff, everything," he said. "They have an excellent coach in GaryWilliams, and I know he loves guards. I know he is willing to make me better."

YUKU SUCKS!
indifferent.gif

Mike Cook (Pitt) denied 6th year of eligibility...

feel bad for him since his college career had to end on that note and he played in just over 30% of the team's games...

Pitt's Cook denied sixth season

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pitt senior basketball player Mike Cook has been denied a sixth season of eligibility by the NCAA, the university announced.

Cook had petitioned the NCAA for a medical redshirt after tearing the ACL in his left knee in a Dec. 20 game against Duke. The NCAA denied Cook on two earlier occasions this summer and his third and final appeal was rejected today.

According to NCAA rules, a player is not eligible for a medical redshirt if he plays in 30 percent or more of his team's games. Cook played in 11 of 37 games, which seemingly would qualify him at 29.7 percent. However, the NCAA does not count NCAA tournament games and only counts one conference tournament game. So in the NCAA's eyes, Cook played in 11 of 32 games, or 34.3 percent.

"Situations like this are hard to take when you know how dedicated Mike's life has been to playing basketball," Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said in a statement. "Over the last three years, Mike has contributed significantly to our success both on and off the floor and has been an important member of our basketball family. When I asked Mike why he wanted to come to Pitt, he simply said he 'wanted to win'. And he has won, going 40-8 as a starter. He has grown into a leader and has become an outstanding example for the younger players in our program. Mike has earned his degree and will have the opportunity to continue his career professionally when he returns to the floor."

The NCAA had to make a decision this week because classes begin Monday at Pitt. Cook graduated in the spring and would have needed to be enrolled in graduate courses if he had been allowed to play this season.

"We were hopeful that Mike would be granted a sixth year of eligibility and it is unfortunate that the request has been denied," Pitt athletic director Steve Pederson said. "Our hearts went out to Mike when he suffered the injury against Duke and we feel for him now. Mike is an impressive young man with a bright future and we wish him nothing but the best. He will always be an important part of the Panther family."

Cook, the starting small forward since the 2006-07 season, did not have high hopes for a positive outcome. In an interview last month, Cook sounded ready to move on.

"As long as I can play basketball, that's the most important thing to me," he said. "If it's not here, then I have to work for it to be somewhere else."

Cook, a Philadelphia native, transferred to Pitt in 2005. In the '06-07 season, Cook started all 37 games and averaged 10.5 points per game. He started the first 11 games of last season before getting injured.

Terrence Boyd- USC and Kentucky Lead the Way

Terrence Boyd '09 may well be considered the "third wheel" on the dominant Athletes First Elite (OK) U-17 AAU squad, but the 6'5 swingman is talented enough to be the leading man on all but a few other teams in the nation. Playing with Xavier Henry '09 and Daniel Orton '09, two of the premiere players in America makes it tough for Boyd to get the spotlight on the squad, but the physical specimen is ultra-talented. At the AAU Super Showcase in Orlando, Florida, Boyd was key to the team's success and easily out-performed the squad other star, Kyle Hardrick '09. I had the opportunity to catch up with Boyd after his team crushed Georgia Elite 95-43 in pool play, with Terrence scoring 12 points, second on the team behind Henry, who dropped 30.

NB: What colleges are you currently thinking about?
TB: USC, University of Kentucky, Kansas, Memphis, OU [Oklahoma], [and] OSU [Oklahoma St.]

NB: What would you say are your favorites right now?
TB: I'd have to say UK [Kentucky] because I [have] been up there, and I really like USC because they got their two-guards into the League, so they're really my favorites right now.

NB: Have all those schools actually offered you a scholarship?
TB: Yes, except for Kansas.

NB: Are there other schools that have offered that you've eliminated from your list?
TB: I could say UConn, West Virginia, [and] Syracuse . . . pretty much.

NB: When do you plan on cutting the list down even further?
TB: I'll say at the end of my senior season.

NB: When do you want to start taking your official [visits]?
TB: Probably right after this, right after all these tournaments. . . . Yeah, definitely.

NB: How many more tournaments do you guys have after this?
TB: Right after this we're [going] on a plan to go to [Las] Vegas to go the end of the Summer Showcase, . . . but it's more like a have-fun tournament, so we [are] just going to blow everybody out.

NB: What do you consider to be the strongest point of your game?
TB: Getting to the rack and dishing, [and] playing 94 feet [of] defense, definitely.

NB: What's the weakest point of your game?
TB: Finishing, finishing on the three-point line I think. . . . My defenders back on me, start to realize that I don't take a lot of shots in a . . . game in a half-court offense, I'm more like a fast-break player, so yeah, definitely that.

NB: You mentioned that you're a fast-break player. . . . Is the style of play at a college going to factor into your decision?
TB: Yeah, at USC they play [a] really, really fast tempo, Memphis [too]. Kansas is more like a set offense, so I don't know. We'll see though, we'll definitely see in the future.

NB: What are some of the other factors you're going to think about in making your choice?
TB: Just the campus, the campus life definitely, how you're treated at campus, [and] studies because you never know, you might need your education in the long run.

NB: How long do you plan on going to college for?
TB: I'm going to try to stay there as long as I can.

NB: What do you think you add most to this [AAU] team?
TB: Intensity [and] hype, [and] . . . I get all my teammates involved, and being a leader.

Boyd is a great player with superb athleticism and a chiseled frame. The rising senior is clearly high on both the Kentucky Wildcats and the USC Trojans. In-state schools Oklahoma and Oklahoma St. do have a shot to land him, as do Kansas and Memphis, but it does appear that either Billy Gillespie or Tim Floyd will wind up coaching Boyd in college. Whichever one does get him will a fine talent on his hands. Terrence Boyd may not be the star of Athletes First, but in a few years, he could be one of the first athletes to come to your mind when discuss the nation's top college ballers in his class.

[h2]Wall still weighing options[/h2] [h3]Word of God star studies colleges[/h3]

John Wall, the 6-foot-3 star point guard for the Raleigh Word of God basketball team, said lots of people have congratulated him on making his college decision after Baylor University hired his summer-team coach.
The problem is that Wall -- whom Rivals.com ranks the nation's No. 1 prospect in the high school class of 2009 -- hasn't yet made a college decision.

"I'm wide open," Wall said Monday.

Wall said his college plans have not included any agreement between him and club coach Dwon Clifton, who was hired as director of player development at Baylor late last month.

Wall said it's not automatic that he also will go to Baylor.

"Dwon and I never had that type of agreement," Wall said. "I was interested in Baylor before he went there.

"He told me that it would be great if I decide to go to Baylor, but that I needed to make the best decision I could for myself and that he was proud of me wherever I go."

Wall said he does not have a short list of schools that are his finalists because he is still exploring his options.

Still, he said Baylor, Memphis, Kansas, Kentucky, Oregon, N.C. State and Oklahoma State were the schools that were recruiting him the hardest.

He has not scheduled any official visits and has no timetable to make his decision. Top players typically commit to a program in November.

"I want to take some visits and learn more about the schools," Wall said. "When I am positive about my decision, I will announce it."

Wall is considered to be the quickest high school point guard in the country.

He is a great passer and has the ability to soar high above defenders for dunks after breaking presses.

He is so good that he might play only one season of college basketball before moving to the NBA.

Wall played on the varsity as a freshman at Garner High and was all-conference there the next year.

He moved into the Broughton district before his junior year but transferred to Word of God after being cut during the Caps' basketball tryouts.

He was a regular on the Word of God squad that spring and then generated national recruiting attention last season.

Scout.com has Wall ranked among the top three prospects in the country.

^you guys are getting DeAndre Liggins..im curious to see how he fits in w/ Billy Gillispie

me and CAKE saw him at a park a few weeks DECKED OUT IN UK gear
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by haiti5

^you guys are getting DeAndre Liggins..im curious to see how he fits in w/ Billy Gillispie

me and CAKE saw him at a park a few weeks DECKED OUT IN UK gear
pimp.gif

My dude J-Wallace (G'Town) signed a 6 figure deal overseas...when he started out they said even that wasn't even possible. He was invited to Wizardscamp to compete with Dee Brown for the 3rd point guard spot but he passed on that.

Good deal for Jon.

NEVER woulda thought that was possible when he stepped on the floor freshmen year.

I woulda liked to have seen him as a Grad Assistant, but maybe later.

Sucks for Cook. Too bad his career ended that way. Big loss for that team, too. No Benjamin, No Cook, No Ramon...

Wall is better than Lance. Wall is #1 and it isn't very close. He's made me a believer.

Originally Posted by lnMyMind

My dude J-Wallace (G'Town) signed a 6 figure deal overseas...when he started out they said even that wasn't even possible. He was invited to Wizards camp to compete with Dee Brown for the 3rd point guard spot but he passed on that.
wallace deserves to be in the NBA, hopefully next year.

Finally we have made some noise in Queens baby. We picked up a verbal from Omari Lawrence today and we're close to setting up a package deal with KevinParrom and Durand Scott. Boy oh boy the grass is finally starting to grow.

I would love for st johns to return to the old days but I jus don't see it happening for sometime..how's little anthony lookinh these days?

Originally Posted by haiti5

I would love for st johns to return to the old days but I jus don't see it happening for sometime..how's little anthony lookinh these days?
You don't want to get me started on Mase. He has all the talent in the world, much more than his dad ever had, but he doesn't have thework ethic his dad had. He's a great kid, funny dude and all, but he's been at St. John's for 4 years and he still hasn't improved his ballhandling. He could be lazy on defense at times, which hurts his stock and he's inconsistent. If he put his mind to the game and just balled he could def.be a player at the next level, but I don't think he'll ever get there in the NBA. He'll have a solid career in Europe though, and maybe a cup ofcoffee in the NBA. The talent is there, but the coaching and consistence hasn't been.

And I would agree with you under 1 condition, if Norm learns how to coach, St. John's will be resurrected. If not, then we'll continue to be mediocreat best. However, things seem to changing for the better with the hiring of 2 local AAU connects Oswald Cross(who's responsible for bringing in JustinBurrell and Omari Lawrence and strong conenctions with Kevin Parrom) and Kimoni Young( who has strong connections with Durand Scott and Jayvaughn Pinkston)

Back
Top Bottom