college kid dunks on LeBron; Nike takes the tapes

Totally forgot about the Nick Young jam on Lebron
sick.gif

The flash, apparently official: Nike is now making the implausible case that the two hapless videographers at the LeBron James Skills Academy had flouted a longstanding, super-inviolate "no videotaping" commandment and therefore had to be frisked.
Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer got a statement (and then went out of his way to leap chivalrously to LeBron's defense):
"Nike has been operating basketball camps for the benefit of young athletes for decades and has longstanding policies in place regarding what events are open and closed to media coverage," Nike spokesman KeJuan Wilkins said.
"Unfortunately, for the first time in four years, two journalists did not respect our 'no videotaping' policy at an after-hours pick-up game Monday evening following the LeBron James Skills Academy."

This runs counter to everything freelance videographer Ryan Miller said yesterday. On a Syracuse.com blog, Miller provides a PDF of the camp's media policy (which doesn't mention any special restrictions on videotaping) and notes that the pickup game was not, in fact, after hours:
It was during the regularly scheduled "College Workout #3" portion of the LeBron James Skills Academy. That session ran from 8:30-10:15 on Monday night and the filming took place during that designated time slot.

So now we've apparently come to the fun stage of the story where the corporate factotum starts fibbing like mad, and the newspaper dudes condescend to the whole Internet. Awesome. And all we ever wanted was a grainy YouTube clip of the best basketball player in the world being turned momentarily into Shawn Bradley. We'll never get that now, but here, at least, is Jordan Crawford - suddenly the most famous baller in Xavier history, though he's yet to play a minute for the Musketeers - bearing witness
I came down the middle. He just happened to be there. ... I was geeked about it, more than anything, just because it's LeBron.

I can't believe I know people that are siding with LeTape on this. Stern really did his job and brainwashed some people
smh.gif
. Everyone knows if Lebron didn't get piped on that Nike wouldn't have caredfor the tape. SMH.

Originally Posted by LosALMIGHTY

We all agree that Lebron/Nike has definitely made the situation worse by confiscating the tape. But for arguments sake lets say that the tape was never confiscated and we all go to see it. What's the big deal? Is it because he dunked "the king"? It's not like Lebron is some sort of uber defender that blocks everyone's shot. Yea he pins shots to the backboard, but it's usually from the weak side or from trailing the play on a fast break. I could understand if it was someone who is known for blocking shots. Yea Lebron is bigger and stronger, but he's not a Mutombo, Mourning, or DH type of defender. Just my two cents.

Something about a 6'4 sophomore from Xavier banging on the King just needs to be seen. Even if it wasn't all that, I'd like to see it.

Originally Posted by rocathajordans23

We all agree that Lebron/Nike has definitely made the situation worse by confiscating the tape. But for arguments sake lets say that the tape was never confiscated and we all go to see it. What's the big deal? Is it because he dunked "the king"? It's not like Lebron is some sort of uber defender that blocks everyone's shot. Yea he pins shots to the backboard, but it's usually from the weak side or from trailing the play on a fast break. I could understand if it was someone who is known for blocking shots. Yea Lebron is bigger and stronger, but he's not a Mutombo, Mourning, or DH type of defender. Just my two cents.
This is basketball the two biggest things you can do for a highlight to embarrass another person is A. Make him fall with a crossover and B. Dunk on him. Doesn't matter how good or bad they are at defense.

so crossing over a girl or dunking on a little kid is the !+@? how good your D is does matter. That's what makes the play.
W T F u talking about? We aint talking about dunking over a girl or little kid! A nba player,a high profile one got dunked on by a collegiateathlete!

Originally Posted by ady2glude707

Originally Posted by rocathajordans23

This is basketball the two biggest things you can do for a highlight to embarrass another person is A. Make him fall with a crossover and B. Dunk on him. Doesn't matter how good or bad they are at defense.

so crossing over a girl or dunking on a little kid is the !+@? how good your D is does matter. That's what makes the play.
W T F u talking about? We aint talking about dunking over a girl or little kid! A nba player,a high profile one got dunked on by a collegiate athlete!

My arguement is that it's being blown out of proportion because it's Lebron. He was waiting under the basket and isn't the greatest defender in theworld. Roc thinks that your defensive ability has nothing to with it and I disagree.

This is me:

I'm a big fan of LeBron James and Nike.

Being dunked on isn't as embarassing (dare I say, emasculating) as some of you make it seem. I mean, there's not really much you can do to a guy shortof fouling him if he jumped earlier than you.

The fact that he got dunked on doesn't change my view about him... he's still an awesome player and I'm sure that he wasn't trying his hardest,and Crawford was. Like the article said, all the college guys wanted to prove something. LeBron is at a @$#**#$ clinic. He didn't need to proveanything to them.

However, the post-dunk shady shennanigans of his and Nike are shameful.

Originally Posted by retr0sxual

This is me:

Being dunked on isn't as embarassing (dare I say, emasculating) as some of you make it seem. I mean, there's not really much you can do to a guy short of fouling him if he jumped earlier than you.

The fact that he got dunked on doesn't change my view about him... he's still an awesome player and I'm sure that he wasn't trying his hardest, and Crawford was. Like the article said, all the college guys wanted to prove something. LeBron is at a @$#**#$ clinic. He didn't need to prove anything to them.

exactly what I was trying to say.

My arguement is that it's being blown out of proportion because it's Lebron. He was waiting under the basket and isn't the greatest defender in the world. Roc thinks that your defensive ability has nothing to with it and I disagree.
Ok, my argument is its being blown out of proportion because HE CONFISCATED the tape... i mean anytime a superstar yet a lone maybe the bestplayer in the nba gets showed up its going to be a big deal, but maybe for a day, but when you have all the evidence confiscated, that just screams somethingBAD happened.

B move made by Lebron

and that adidas stuff is bs, looks like xavier is sponosored by Nike.

retr0sxual:
This is me:

Being dunked on isn't as embarassing (dare I say, emasculating) as some of you make it seem.

The fact that he got dunked on doesn't change my view about him...

Same here. I'm a LeBron fan, definitely. He got dunked on? I do a little
eek.gif
and a little
laugh.gif
, but keep it moving no big deal.

He got dunked on and asked Nike to get rid of the evidence? Then it goes from
eek.gif
and
laugh.gif
to
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
tired.gif
eyes.gif
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
tired.gif
roll.gif

EB4President wrote:
LosALMIGHTY wrote:
My argument is that it's being blown out of proportion because it's Lebron. He was waiting under the basket and isn't the greatest defender in the world. Roc thinks that your defensive ability has nothing to with it and I disagree.
Ok, my argument is its being blown out of proportion because HE CONFISCATED the tape... i mean anytime a superstar yet a lone maybe the best player in the nba gets showed up its going to be a big deal, but maybe for a day, but when you have all the evidence confiscated, that just screams something BAD happened.

B move made by Lebron

and that adidas stuff is bs, looks like xavier is sponosored by Nike.

The first line of my post clearly states that by taking the tapes away Lebron and Nike made it worse. I then proceeded to say that if we did see the video andit was never confiscated it'll be "whatever" in no time flat.

Originally Posted by retr0sxual

This is me:

Being dunked on isn't as embarassing (dare I say, emasculating) as some of you make it seem. I mean, there's not really much you can do to a guy short of fouling him if he jumped earlier than you.

The fact that he got dunked on doesn't change my view about him... he's still an awesome player and I'm sure that he wasn't trying his hardest, and Crawford was. Like the article said, all the college guys wanted to prove something. LeBron is at a @$#**#$ clinic. He didn't need to prove anything to them.

exactly what I was trying to say.
what if Lebron got teabagged though? i don't know about you, but getting nuts in your face is probably the most emasculating thing that canhappen to someone in sports.

the dunk must have been bad, REALLY bad. Lebron probably fell down or something

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

retr0sxual:
This is me:

Being dunked on isn't as embarassing (dare I say, emasculating) as some of you make it seem.

The fact that he got dunked on doesn't change my view about him...

Same here. I'm a LeBron fan, definitely. He got dunked on? I do a little
eek.gif
and a little
laugh.gif
, but keep it moving no big deal.

He got dunked on and asked Nike to get rid of the evidence? Then it goes from
eek.gif
and
laugh.gif
to
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
tired.gif
eyes.gif
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
tired.gif
roll.gif

agreed.

he made it worse by taking the tape imo

because if they would of just showed the tape it might not be as bad as their making it seem.

Dude could've used the dunk to his advantage.

To show the quality of athletes at his camp and to show that he really does play w/ the athletes. He isn't just there being a face for the camp.

He coulda made it THAT much more selective for the future.

That's how I woulda flipped it.

Sorta like College football camps where NFL stars come back and actually participate in it. Like the HS WR one on one w/ a Pro Bowl CB.

They eat that +%+@ up.

I know one thing, this dude keep doin tv interviews, radio interviews, and talkin about this dunk, Nike gon make him disappear, hell with the tapes.

On some ol, I'ma get the papers, get the papers.
laugh.gif

Dude could've used the dunk to his advantage.

To show the quality of athletes at his camp and to show that he really does play w/ the athletes. He isn't just there being a face for the camp.

He coulda made it THAT much more selective for the future.

That's how I woulda flipped it.

Sorta like College football camps where NFL stars come back and actually participate in it. Like the HS WR one on one w/ a Pro Bowl CB.

They eat that +%+@ up.

EXACTLY! QFT

Originally Posted by K I N G x B

he made it worse by taking the tape imo

because if they would of just showed the tape it might not be as bad as their making it seem.
^Agree.
This whole issue would have blown over in a couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom