College Minded NTers ...

Ok .

What major do you think has greater job opportunities , Journalism or Communications ?

Wow. Unless you intern as a journalist you might want to go with comm. but even then coming from a strong comm. program would help tremendously (Newhouse,North Carolina, USC).

Basically, its hard for both unless you're really good and have potential.

Communications. The journalism career is getting to be very scarce. Think about all the newspapers closing, considering the fact that its only going to getworse. Newspapers are going to become few and far between.

Communications sounds broader
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Wow. Unless you intern as a journalist you might want to go with comm. but even then coming from a strong comm. program would help tremendously (Newhouse, North Carolina, USC).

Why'd you say wow ?

I go to Loyola , and they have a pretty good Communications program . So many internships and opportunities at huge news stations because of where it'slocated .

&nd yeah , it's a pretty hard field , but I think I could probably get in at some time or another in my life .

Thanks though .
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Kneesh

Wow. Unless you intern as a journalist you might want to go with comm. but even then coming from a strong comm. program would help tremendously (Newhouse, North Carolina, USC).

Why'd you say wow ?

I go to Loyola , and hey have a pretty good Communications program . So many internships and opportunities at huge news stations because of where it's located .

Thanks though .
smile.gif
I didn't mean it as a bad thing. I meant it as how are you going to make that decision. There aren't that many jobs in both fields due toit being very competitive and coming from a strong program would only improve your chances. My school has a great program too (Newhouse, #1 in the US) butcomm. itself is SO broad. What are you specializing in?

Why'd you say wow ?

I go to Loyola , and hey have a pretty good Communications program . So many internships and opportunities at huge news stations because of where it's located .

Thanks though .
smile.gif
I didn't mean it as a bad thing. There aren't that many jobs in both fields due to it being very competitive and coming from a strong program would only improve your chances. My school has a great program too (Newhouse, #1 in the US) but comm. itself is SO broad. What are you specializing in?
I personally want to be a field reporter then a news anchor .
grin.gif

School me on this ...
laugh.gif
tired.gif

Anybody know anything about electrical engineering? I have an electronics class, and it seems like something I can easily tolerate doing for the rest of mylife.

depends..if you're a PR emphasis..skip school all together and just throw your own damned parties and events.

Why'd you say wow ?

I go to Loyola , and they have a pretty good Communications program . So many internships and opportunities at huge news stations because of where it's located .

&nd yeah , it's a pretty hard field , but I think I could probably get in at some time or another in my life .

Thanks though .
smile.gif
which Loyola? I go to the MD one. Don't know which major is better but do what you like best.

news anchor? anywhere you start off in any tv productions you'll be a grip or something very low level. you won't see a news desk for probably a fewyears. don't forget its not like there's new news shows popping up everywhere, its a very saturated market and you gotta wait for someone to retire.

don't forget to take public speaking courses and stuff like that, improves your technique and timing

I'm majoring in communications right now and CONSIDERING journalism..... but like someone said above, print media/newspapers are dying and online newssites/online blogs are replacing them. Go with communications. You can work your way to becoming an editor. An editor makes TONS of money.

Originally Posted by PatentBoy23

Why'd you say wow ?

I go to Loyola , and they have a pretty good Communications program . So many internships and opportunities at huge news stations because of where it's located .

Thanks though .
smile.gif
which Loyola? I go to the MD one. Don't know which major is better but do what you like best.

I'm a English & Communication Media major with a Journalism minor, and have found many more opportunities with a more focused degree like that thanjust Communication.

Originally Posted by blondsoccerplyr

Why'd you say wow ?

Thanks though .
smile.gif

I'm a English & Communication Media major with a Journalism minor, and have found many more opportunities with a more focused degree like that than just Communication.
I go to Loyola Chicago , which one do you go to ?

Originally Posted by infamousod

news anchor? anywhere you start off in any tv productions you'll be a grip or something very low level. you won't see a news desk for probably a few years. don't forget its not like there's new news shows popping up everywhere, its a very saturated market and you gotta wait for someone to retire.

don't forget to take public speaking courses and stuff like that, improves your technique and timing
What about field reporters ?

Originally Posted by blondsoccerplyr

Why'd you say wow ?

Thanks though .
smile.gif

I'm a English & Communication Media major with a Journalism minor, and have found many more opportunities with a more focused degree like that than just Communication.
I go to Loyola Chicago , which one do you go to ?

Originally Posted by infamousod

news anchor? anywhere you start off in any tv productions you'll be a grip or something very low level. you won't see a news desk for probably a few years. don't forget its not like there's new news shows popping up everywhere, its a very saturated market and you gotta wait for someone to retire.

What about field reporters ?

Same thing. There are kids all the time at my school doing reports on the quad and asking people to help them. You have to be able to talk to people, speakclearly on camera, etc. etc. It's not an easy job at all.

Why'd you say wow ?

Thanks though .
smile.gif

Yeah I was about to say the Journalism Dept at Loyola is
sick.gif
whereas Communications is
glasses.gif

field reporters are just desk anchors in waiting, usually they are ambulance-chasers and things of that sort when they are new and hungry for news stories sothey can get publicity. I was partially in the field in grade school and my college roommate is now in the field, I'm not an expert but there it is.

Originally Posted by ebayologist

Why'd you say wow ?

Thanks though .
smile.gif

Yeah I was about to say the Journalism Dept at Loyola is
sick.gif
whereas Communications is
glasses.gif
Word .

What info you got ?

What's good with me getting a job at ABC/WGN after I graduate ?

^I don't work there.
laugh.gif
I have no idea.
laugh.gif

But I just know mad dusty girls who (in the word of Juelz Santana) thought they were doing in the Journalism Dept. but turns out they weren't really doingit.

Back
Top Bottom