College niketalkers chime in....how do you concentrate on your work without being distracted?

Cut the reading out how about that? Honestly I stopped reading in college like sophmore year unless it was an extra small class or I was doing a research paper. Senior year I didn't even attempt to buy books

love of success/fear of failure is what keeps me going.

When youre struggling to focus, think of that feeling you get when you walk out of a test knowing you just got destroyed.

Then think of the feeling you get when you know you murdered an exam.

Also, find what works for you. For example, I usually need a spot thats in the open or by windows, but not crowded/with lots of people. I know each spot on campus in each of our 4 libraries just in case one is packed. If you arent getting stuff done, get up take a break and start fresh in a new spot.

love of success/fear of failure is what keeps me going.

When youre struggling to focus, think of that feeling you get when you walk out of a test knowing you just got destroyed.

Then think of the feeling you get when you know you murdered an exam.

Also, find what works for you. For example, I usually need a spot thats in the open or by windows, but not crowded/with lots of people. I know each spot on campus in each of our 4 libraries just in case one is packed. If you arent getting stuff done, get up take a break and start fresh in a new spot.

From personal experience, I find that if the first thing i do during the day is study then my concentration levels are at the highest level. Dunno why but It's like when you haven't done anything else during the day what your studying is the most interesting thing you've done or are doing, but if you just jumped of a 3 hour session on the PS3 or NT etc... and tried to pick up a book, then you might as well just call it a day because what your studying is probably boring compared to what you just done.

Might be just me but try it, first thing in the morning after you've gotten ready and had breakfast dive into the books, leave the computer off, don't call no one etc and you should be set.

From personal experience, I find that if the first thing i do during the day is study then my concentration levels are at the highest level. Dunno why but It's like when you haven't done anything else during the day what your studying is the most interesting thing you've done or are doing, but if you just jumped of a 3 hour session on the PS3 or NT etc... and tried to pick up a book, then you might as well just call it a day because what your studying is probably boring compared to what you just done.

Might be just me but try it, first thing in the morning after you've gotten ready and had breakfast dive into the books, leave the computer off, don't call no one etc and you should be set.

I listen to music. I find that it helps. Instrumentals work best. 
I also work somewhere quiet, like a library or coffee shop. 

I also try and study in small groups of 4 or less, with people who aren't going to distract you.

In my experience, studying with a couple people who are also heavily into it, breeds motivation. They can also help answer some questions you may have and vice versa. 

I listen to music. I find that it helps. Instrumentals work best. 
I also work somewhere quiet, like a library or coffee shop. 

I also try and study in small groups of 4 or less, with people who aren't going to distract you.

In my experience, studying with a couple people who are also heavily into it, breeds motivation. They can also help answer some questions you may have and vice versa. 

DT43 - you right bout Ratatat being that study music..ratatat and diplo pandora kill. Real chill, especially while studying for a few hours..

As for adderall I use it very occasionally but never really depend on it, tips: take halves, you gotta study AND take the test on it - same mindset

DT43 - you right bout Ratatat being that study music..ratatat and diplo pandora kill. Real chill, especially while studying for a few hours..

As for adderall I use it very occasionally but never really depend on it, tips: take halves, you gotta study AND take the test on it - same mindset

Originally Posted by DT43

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

I go to the library everyday, well M-F for a few hours, I'm doing summer term. During the school year, I'll go Sunday-Fri. I typical listen to indie rock, alternative, trip hop, instrumentals and some hip hop when I study and do hw, it helps me. Classical music has been shown to help with studying. Instead of adderall, try some coffee and see how that helps. In the events that you are on adderrall and can't come down, take some shots, I've been told that it cancels out the effects. Thinking about the future and making your parents/family proud certainly helps. And also competition, doing better than your friends and fellow classmates.
But some artist I listen to when I do work:
Regina Spektor
Adele
Nujabes
Blu (& Exile)
Beach House
Einar Stray
Toro Y Moi
Metronomy
TV on the Radio
The Beatles
Little Dragon
M.I.A
Florence and The Machine
Beethoven
Mozart
Explosions in the Sky
Animals as Leaders
Feist
i feel like theres a very good chance you will like Washed Out.. been listening to them a lot lately
Add the xx, neon indian, bon iver, phoenix, radiohead, warpaint and yeah yeah yeahs to that list. 

I go to the library everyday, well M-F for a few hours, I'm doing summer term. During the school year, I'll go Sunday-Fri. I typical listen to indie rock, alternative, trip hop, instrumentals and some hip hop when I study and do hw, it helps me. Classical music has been shown to help with studying. Instead of adderall, try some coffee and see how that helps. In the events that you are on adderrall and can't come down, take some shots, I've been told that it cancels out the effects. Thinking about the future and making your parents/family proud certainly helps. And also competition, doing better than your friends and fellow classmates.
Regina Spektor
Adele
Nujabes
Blu (& Exile)
Beach House
Einar Stray
Toro Y Moi
Metronomy
TV on the Radio
The Beatles
Little Dragon
M.I.A
Florence and The Machine
Beethoven
Mozart
Explosions in the Sky
Animals as Leaders
Feist
i feel like theres a very good chance you will like Washed Out.. been listening to them a lot lately
Add the xx, neon indian, bon iver, phoenix, radiohead, warpaint and yeah yeah yeahs to that list. 

Originally Posted by jojobud

Take half the first time after 30-45mins, take the other half if you don't feel it, everyone is a little different 

Originally Posted by jojobud

Take half the first time after 30-45mins, take the other half if you don't feel it, everyone is a little different 

Originally Posted by AgentArenas

Regina Spektor
Adele
Nujabes
Blu (& Exile)
Beach House
Einar Stray
Toro Y Moi
Metronomy
TV on the Radio
The Beatles
Little Dragon
M.I.A
Florence and The Machine
Beethoven
Mozart
Explosions in the Sky
Animals as Leaders
Feist
Add the xx, neon indian, bon iver, phoenix, radiohead, warpaint and yeah yeah yeahs to that list.�
The XX, Radiohead and YYY also big fans of them.
I have a Phoenix album, it doesn't get much play haha, I'll change that though. I've heard some Bon Iver songs, not bad. I'll give the video and other groups a listen

Regina Spektor
Adele
Nujabes
Blu (& Exile)
Beach House
Einar Stray
Toro Y Moi
Metronomy
TV on the Radio
The Beatles
Little Dragon
M.I.A
Florence and The Machine
Beethoven
Mozart
Explosions in the Sky
Animals as Leaders
Feist
Add the xx, neon indian, bon iver, phoenix, radiohead, warpaint and yeah yeah yeahs to that list.�
I have a Phoenix album, it doesn't get much play haha, I'll change that though. I've heard some Bon Iver songs, not bad. I'll give the video and other groups a listen

Originally Posted by rocman23

Cut the reading out how about that? Honestly I stopped reading in college like sophmore year unless it was an extra small class or I was doing a research paper. Senior year I didn't even attempt to buy books
This is what I appreciate about most business class because it is better learnt through application than reading.
pimp.gif

Also appreciated are the professors who have amazing powerpoints that have all the info for the test.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by rocman23

This is what I appreciate about most business class because it is better learnt through application than reading.
pimp.gif

Also appreciated are the professors who have amazing powerpoints that have all the info for the test.
pimp.gif

noise cancelling head phones x instrumentals x a space away from everything
you'll be good money

noise cancelling head phones x instrumentals x a space away from everything
you'll be good money

For phoenix Id suggest Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix and Its Never Been Like That, my two favorites. Bon Iver's new album (self titled) is amazing, and his first LP For Emma Forever Ago is amazing as well in its own way.
pimp.gif

For phoenix Id suggest Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix and Its Never Been Like That, my two favorites. Bon Iver's new album (self titled) is amazing, and his first LP For Emma Forever Ago is amazing as well in its own way.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom