College students protesting "racist" Halloween costumes vol. C'mon man

Originally Posted by CelticsFan9783

Originally Posted by CurbYourEnthusiasm

Originally Posted by Jking0821

pimp.gif

If you wore actual black face costume that is racists.  What I have been saying all along about intent.  If dressing up as an individual of another race was so insidiously racist it should infuriate every person of the mocked race.....which this thread proves it doesn't. 

It seems you sir are super offended by black face.  That doesn't mean everyone is.  My friend was barak obama 4 years ago and lives with 3 other black kids at college.  They thought it was hilarious.....

You saying intent is irrelevant is your 100% opinion.  That is no where near fact.

i know black dudes that are okay with white people using the N word around them too....whats your point?

what if youre driving and someone hits you head on at 85 mph....paralyzes you

when they say "it wasnt my intent to paralyze you"

what then?

(i find it hilarious you seriously said "if someone wears a blackface costume (whatever the +#+$ that is) its racist, but dressing IN BLACKFACE to be a specific black person isnt".......you literally think that. and that's funny to me.)
It's because the original Blackface was more than just a costume. It was literally an attempt to degrade a mass of people. I see your point that some peoples' nerves can be touched when a non-black person paints their face brown. Sure, it can invoke that piece of history. But I also believe that the intent truly does matter.

If a guy is walking down the street with a black mustache that looks a bit like that of Hitler's, should Jewish people be offended? Maybe, but you have to consider the mustached guy's point of view. If you have a problem with someone's actions, you should try communicating with them for you label them and walk around the rest of the day with your panties in a bunch.

oh so real facial hair growing out of your face that maybe looks like hitlers is the same as changing your skin color/hair type with paint?

oh.

and wearing your mustache in a particular fashion is the same as "dressing up" once a year with body paint in order to mock being "black"?

oh.

only communication for them is a stoneface, and if they wanna exchange words i can slap them around and perpetuate some stereotypes myself, too.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

images

Black face costume.  As stated before this is not what people are wearing.  Completely black face and big red lips.  This is racist.

You are comparing getting paralyzed to you getting offended by a costume....come on fam.  If my friend punches me in the face by accident I forget about it and move on.  If he punches me in the face on purpose we have a problem.  I feel bad for you if you walk around are are easily this offended by every little thing.  You must spend a lot of time being angry. 

wait, im confused.

this whole time i thought the offensive nature of blackface was due to the white man literally painting his skin and face black to adapt the role of a black man....

turns out

its the cigarette, top hat and white gloves which make it a "blackface costume"

not the actual black face

its the gloves, cigarette and top hat that make the image offensive, not the actual white face painted black....

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

thanks.

im no longer offended by white people painting their skin black then perpetuating negative stereotypes in jest around large groups of other white people.

thanks NT.

eyes.gif

also, yes, i walk around angry because white people commonly do this all the time. its not one person every other year for halloween that i randomly see, no, i see white kids not intending to be racist in blackface almost hourly, man....im so angry all the time.

eyes.gif

IT DOESNT MATTER IF THEY KNOW THE HISTORY

that's honestly the weakest cop out available.

"i didnt know"

im 10000000% sure none of these blackface costumes would be wore to the inner-city nor a mostly black neighborhood...

they keep it in the suburbs and the white frat houses.....and get real awkward infront of black people.

ive seen it with my own two eyes since 2001 on the campus of The Ohio State University.

its a weak cop out and its irrelevant either way.

the USA didnt know what was going to happen when invading middle eastern countries,

no way you can criticize them for invading countries, they simply didnt know it was going to be a huge embarassing failure.

%!!! outta here.

they know.

heres a wild idea

how about they just dont do it because people say its offensive

why are people arguing "nah, you're not really offended."

or "nah, this isnt offensive"

PEOPLE ARE OFFENDED BY BLACKFACE

HOW ARE YOU GOING TO TELL THEM THEY ARENT OFFENDED OR ITS NOT OFFENSIVE WHEN THEY ARE OFFENDED?

WHY ARE YOU ARGUING?

STOP OFFENDING PEOPLE

dont argue once you offend someone, just apologize and gain perspective as to not offend them again.

ive literally typed the same thing 3 times and people arent even reading it...just posting "i dont think its racist because they dont know the history"

when i told yall 6 pages ago intent is irrelevant.

but keep flapping them ignorant gums....er...flicking them ignorant fingers.

I said the same thing but was ignored also.

White folks have been the ones telling Black people what's good for them, what they need, how they should feel, what they shouldn't be offended by, etc. for centuries in this country (and around the world).  I know you feel like you don't have to, but please start listening to your brothers and sisters of color.

Like I said before, PRIVILEGE AND ENTITLEMENT ARE A MOTHER %+$%$$ and this thread serves as ample proof.

Mogs in here feel so privileged and entitled that they aren't even the slightest bit conscious of it and can't even recognize it.

nah, man, they are unaware of the history.....

unless, of course, a black person walks up to them when dressed like that...

then its awkward....

but not cause its racist, cause that wasnt the intent...

good points curb.

I know a posted that wall of text of the Sue article regarding racial identity in terms of whites. I can also post a chapter that has minorities (asians, latinos, and african americans) if you guyswould like.

then its awkward....

It's not the cigarette and top hat that completes the blackface man; it was the mocking of slaves, creating stereotypical "old darkies" and "mammies," and basically degrading the entire culture of African Americans who were already completely oppressed.

*BTW... the sarcasm in your post is like 75% of the content, it doesn't do your argument justice. We're just debating. No need to catch feelings. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

then its awkward....

It's not the cigarette and top hat that completes the blackface man; it was the mocking of slaves, creating stereotypical "old darkies" and "mammies," and basically degrading the entire culture of African Americans who were already completely oppressed.

*BTW... the sarcasm in your post is like 75% of the content, it doesn't do your argument justice. We're just debating. No need to catch feelings. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

oh, so it is the painting of a white face black thats offensive, thanks for clearing that up for the NTer who posted the picture and argues that intent matters.

i have an idea, white people,

when you dress up at lil wayne....

maybe the face tattoos, dread locks, fronts and styrofoam cup is enough

i mean, i dunno if id be able to tell you were little wayne with all those asscesories unless you had blackface on...

like, you wanna be barack obama? A suit, salt and pepper hair and acting like barack wont get the message across

you need to put on black face for us to be able to pretend you're a black person for halloween

lil jon? dreadlocks and glasses with a crunk cup may confuse people, its the blackface that clarifies "yes, im dressed up as a black guy...not a white guy in dreads with glasses and a crunk cup."

eyes.gif

what better way to honor our first african american president than to dress up as him in blackface?

im sure he would appreciate your efforts and support.

eyes.gif

then its awkward....

oh, so it is the painting of a white face black thats offensive, thanks for clearing that up for the NTer who posted the picture and argues that intent matters.

i mean, i dunno if id be able to tell you were little wayne with all those asscesories unless you had blackface on...

like, you wanna be barack obama? A suit, salt and pepper hair and acting like barack wont get the message across

you need to put on black face for us to be able to pretend you're a black person for halloween

lil jon? dreadlocks and glasses with a crunk cup may confuse people, its the blackface that clarifies "yes, im dressed up as a black guy...not a white guy in dreads with glasses and a crunk cup."

eyes.gif

what better way to honor our first african american president than to dress up as him in blackface?

eyes.gif
it's not blackface, though.

Originally Posted by heirjordan15

eyes.gif

eyes.gif
I don't think he's seen an actual blackface minstrel show.

then its awkward....

Right, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  But white folks are not entitled to the opinion of people of color and that's the heart of this issue.

You could say, "I really don't think that Lil' Wayne costume with the brown make-up is offensive BUT since many Black folks seem to be offended by it, I will respect their opinion about what offends them enough to support them in saying maybe people should not wear it for that reason."

Instead, you are saying, "I really don't think that Lil' Wayne costume with the brown make-up is offensive.  Many Black folks are apparently offended but since I don't think that they should be offended, I will support people wearing such costumes and tell Black people that there's no reason for them to feel offended."

Do you understand the difference?

eyes.gif

painting your face black isnt blackface?

damn, you guys are smart.  

yes, considering i wasnt alive in the 1800s, you are correct, genius.

have you guys seen an actual blackface minstrel show?

in these actual blackface minstrel shows, what do all of the minstrel characters have in common?

yep, you were right, they all have on white gloves.....

eyes.gif

Originally Posted by red mpls

then its awkward....

Right, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  But white folks are not entitled to the opinion of people of color and that's the heart of this issue.

You could say, "I really don't think that Lil' Wayne costume with the brown make-up is offensive BUT since many Black folks seem to be offended by it, I will respect their opinion about what offends them enough to support them in saying maybe people should not wear it for that reason."

Instead, you are saying, "I really don't think that Lil' Wayne costume with the brown make-up is offensive.  Many Black folks are apparently offended but since I don't think that they should be offended, I will support people wearing such costumes and tell Black people that there's no reason for them to feel offended."

Absolutely. Say I was wearing a get up of say Snoop Dogg and went to the point of darkening my skin. If someone came up to me and gave me their perspective and told me they were offended, I would apologize. Tell them that I'm light skinned and thought it would be more believable if I made my skin color resemble Snoop. I'm in no way racist, just wanted my character to be resemble Snoop's likenees even if it came off as silly. I would tell them I understand the history of Blackface and that I respect them coming up to me. We would hopefully go our separate ways without further issue. Communication is essential
pimp.gif

then its awkward....

^^ you made a great point.  
But the real "heart of the issue" is that it's all about race in the first place.  Race is a socially constructed idea.  We (humans) chose skin color and certain facial characteristics to define race instead of height, eye color, #$%^ size, etc.

Race will always be an issue because people continue to have too much pride and will not drop it from conversation.  Am I saying ignore the issues of the past? No. Just stop making everything from here on out about race.

No. Just stop making everything from here on out about race.

oh, white people painting their skin black isn't about race?

eek.gif

eyes.gif

Absolutely. Say I was wearing a get up of say Snoop Dogg and went to the point of darkening my skin. If someone came up to me and gave me their perspective and told me they were offended, I would apologize. Tell them that I'm light skinned and thought it would be more believable if I made my skin color resemble Snoop. I'm in no way racist, just wanted my character to be resemble Snoop's likenees even if it came off as silly. I would tell them I understand the history of Blackface and that I respect them coming up to me. We would hopefully go our separate ways without further issue. Communication is essential
pimp.gif

how about you just wear all of your snoop outfit without painting your skin black?

oh, you think its not gonna be accurate enough?

nobody would tell you're dressed as snoop if not for the blackface?

indifferent.gif

No. Just stop making everything from here on out about race.

oh, white people painting their skin black isn't about race?

eek.gif

eyes.gif

pimp.gif

how about you just wear all of your snoop outfit without painting your skin black?

oh, you think its not gonna be accurate enough?

nobody would tell you're dressed as snoop if not for the blackface?

indifferent.gif
Because it's my costume and I have that choice
tongue.gif

eyes.gif

eyes.gif
And I I don't think you've ever seen A Birth of a Nation.

Listen, nobody is perfect.  That's what makes us human.  And I think at one point in time, we all have done something ignorant.

A sign of character is learning from your ignorance, and realizing that regardless of your intent, your actions have real consequences.

This is not a gay thread, but one thing that I really respect about the gay community is that MOST of the members in it will check you if they feel as if they've been insulted, violated, what have you.

The same can be said about Jews.  How many costumes do we see each year of a Jewish prisoner with the star of David on their arm?  Not many.  Reason being, is that someone will let you know that you are wrong.

But when blacks, for the most part, or others attempt to express their discontent, its "get over it."

You know the reason why it's "ok" to dress as an Indian?  Because the Native Americans didn't have a way to speak up for themselves, and now that foolishness has become a societal norm.

I'll be damned if one day the statement of "When did it become wrong to dress up as a stereotypical black man?" Becomes ok

If people are not vocal about the reason it's wrong to violate people's cultures one day the statement of....

So, by this logic, we should get rid of cowboys, indians, and every other costume where you dress up like another PERSON?

Will become
So, by this logic, we should get rid of poor blacks, Muslims, and every other costume where you dress up like another PERSON?

indifferent.gif
tongue.gif

exactly. youre unapologetic about the racist actions you CHOOSE to make.

i mean, as long as you accept yourself, sir.

eyes.gif

(i thought the priviledge comments were unneccesary in this argument, but that response there shows that you think its your right to offend people with racist actions.......good job, dork.)

And I I don't think you've ever seen A Birth of a Nation.
oh, okay. good assumption to make.

eyes.gif

And I think at one point in time, we all have done something ignorant.

A sign of character is learning from your ignorance, and realizing that regardless of your intent, your actions have real consequences.
oh, learning from your ignorance, like when people tell you blackface is indeed racist and offensive, you say

tongue.gif

way to understand youre ignorant then work towards having perspective and understanding....good job.

You know the reason why it's "ok" to dress as an Indian?  Because the Native Americans didn't have a way to speak up for themselves, and now that foolishness has become a societal norm.
....or because most native american "indian" costumes consist of feathers and two peices of cow skin....

not changing your skin with paint, then perpetuating native american stereotypes.

typically its for those people wanting to show off their bodies

same with roman warrior outfits.

nothing is inherantly race-driven when people dress up as the "sexy little indian" or what not.

now, if you had mentioned sports mascots when talking about native americans, i would have been 100 percent behind you.

like i said, whats wrong with dressing up as lil wayne and not putting on the blackface?

noone is bent out of shape that you dress up like lil jon and scream YEAAAAAAH all night

its the paint you put on your skin to become "black"

and its not the act of putting paint on your skin

its the history and connotations that painting your skin black to immitate a black person that people have an issue with

hearing that and understanding that, only an ignorant, arrogant selfish moron would CONTINUE to dress up in blackface.

only an IGNORANT, ARROGANT, SELFISH MORON would sit in a thread like this and say "so?"

like i said multiple times, keep it in the suburbs and white frat houses, cause ive SEEN you dudes +%+@@ up with my own two eyes for almost a decade now.

keep playing the "we dont know the history" or "that wasnt my intent" card. when someone pulls it, aint gonna be no "i'd calmly explain that im not racist and walk away"....IVE SEEN IT WITH MY OWN TWO EYES

if it isnt offensive, why +%+@@ up in the presence of black people?

oh.

pimp.gif

So you're saying that you don't have enough respect and consideration for the perspectives and experiences of Black people to not want to offend them?  You are willing to offend a historically and currently oppressed and marginalized group of people so that you'll have what you feel will be a "better" or "more accurate" Halloween costume?

You would apologize that THEY are offended but not for YOUR actions? 

Wow.

It'snot the cigarette and top hat that completes the blackface man; it wasthe mocking of slaves, creating stereotypical "old darkies" and"mammies," and basically degrading the entire culture of AfricanAmericans who were already completely oppressed.

*BTW... thesarcasm in your post is like 75% of the content, it doesn't do yourargument justice. We're just debating. No need to catch feelings. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Right,everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  But white folks are notentitled to the opinion of people of color and that's the heart of thisissue.

You could say, "I really don't think that Lil' Waynecostume with the brown make-up is offensive BUT since many Black folksseem to be offended by it, I will respect their opinion about whatoffends them enough to support them in saying maybe people should notwear it for that reason."

Instead, you are saying, "I reallydon't think that Lil' Wayne costume with the brown make-up isoffensive.  Many Black folks are apparently offended but since I don't think that they shouldbe offended, I will support people wearing such costumes and tell Blackpeople that there's no reason for them to feel offended."

^^ you made a great point.  
Butthe real "heart of the issue" is that it's all about race in the firstplace.  Race is a socially constructed idea.  We (humans) chose skincolor and certain facial characteristics to define race instead ofheight, eye color, #$%^ size, etc.

Race willalways be an issue because people continue to have too much pride andwill not drop it from conversation.  Am I saying ignore the issues ofthe past? No. Just stop making everything from here on out about race.

I know fully well that race is a social construction.  However, it is a social construction that continues to have tremendous implications in people's lives.  So what is your point?  That we should ignore race because it's "make-believe" even though it still affects people's life chances in nearly every conceivable way?

Also, you state that "race will always be an issue because people continue to have too much pride and will not drop it from the conversation."  Who are these "people" with "too much pride" who refuse to "drop race from the conversation?"  I don't understand what you're saying.

pimp.gif

So you're saying that you don't have enough respect and consideration for the perspectives and experiences of Black people to not want to offend them?  You are willing to offend a historically and currently oppressed and marginalized group of people so that you'll have what you feel will be a "better" or "more accurate" Halloween costume?

You would apologize that THEY are offended but not for YOUR actions? 

Wow.
I would apologize to them if my costume was perceived to be in poor taste and plead my case. It would be hard to apologize for actions in this case if there was no malicious intent behind them.

Just and fyi...I haven't and wouldn't dress up with a painted "black" face. For those who do it, I couldn't care less as long as those who choose to do it aren't doing so for the sake of mockery. Like when D-Wade did his white face, he was just being funny. Nothing wrong with that. Just like there's nothing wrong with Raffi Torres trying to make his Jay-Z costume more believable. After all, Torres is a ginger and wouldn't pull off Hov very well with just a NY fitted and sunglasses. In my opinion anyway.

Curb I'm on your side bro.

I was responding to the cat that said you haven't seen a minstrel show. And I was telling him that he hasn't seen A Birth of a Nation, which wasn't a minstrel show, but a disgraceful display of black face.

i'm a student at the University of Toronto and a few years back some white dudes and a black dude dressed up as the guys from Cool Runnings. the white dudes did use blackface but they did not portray or reinforce any stereotypes of black people, i dont really see a problem with that, i mean how else would anyone know theyre from Cool Runnings?
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom