College students protesting "racist" Halloween costumes vol. C'mon man

Originally Posted by Vendetta

Originally Posted by red mpls

Any white person telling people of color another race what they should and shouldn't be offended by really needs to stop. 

Fixed

Not fixed.  If you read the rest of my post I was making a specific point about white privilege and how this issue and many of the responses and attitudes posted in this thread are one way such privilege manifests itself.  I don't disagree with your point, though.

Also, I can't believe that people are in here literally defending the use of black-face.  And for the sake of a %%@@!$% Halloween costume?!  I literally cannot comprehend this.  Privilege really is a mother #*#*$!.

Originally Posted by CelticsFan9783

Originally Posted by NYC game

There have already been some posted. They don't bother me though. I actually thought D-Wade's take on JT was funny. I just think it's hypocritical that there is no white person in one of those posters holding up a picture of a non-white dressed in white face. Because yes it does happen as well. Just not as much made of it.
I didn't bother going though the pages, but you're talking about Wade impersonating a single character out of the bunch, which is different than impersonating a whole race.
Do you not see that ?

For instance If the white girl with the gold chain was impersonating 50 cent or michael Jackson than it would be totally different.

Another example dressing as a native american, as opposed to dressing like a wayne newton.
Don't quote me on this, but I think that girl was someone semi famous attempting to dress up like Lil Wayne. If she was just trying to be a no named black rapper, then I do see the problem with that.

So if she is indeed dressing up like Lil Wayne, same reasoning should be used as Wade dressing up like JT in my opinion. One person dressing up like a certain character. If the costume was an attempt at stereotyping a random person from a race, then I agree with you.

No dude; she doesn't even half way look like lil wayne. 
laugh.gif

Where's the dreads, skinny jeans sagging down to ankles?

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by djuzi05

Originally Posted by Michael Kelso

7_102611_list_307x208.jpg

Hahah forgot about Wade going as J Timberlake. What do all you offended people feel about this?
he's going as a person.. JT.
not a generic white person

Exactly!

Like dude said on the last page alot of yall just don't take into account the history behind Blackface and and the rest of these costumes. They were created to degrade people, and now some frat idiot want's to be funny by wearing it. They have full on parties at some colleges dedicated to mocking Minorities, so stop playing dumb like this is all fun and games....  

Originally Posted by DajonDondo

theres a reason why there isnt a white kid on the front page holding up a photo. It simply doesnt bother you people. All those photoes on the first page are whtie people dressed up in costumes....
jus sayin... 
What do you mean, you people?
roll.gif

I didn't bother going though the pages, but you're talking about Wade impersonating a single character out of the bunch, which is different than impersonating a whole race.
Do you not see that ?

For instance If the white girl with the gold chain was impersonating 50 cent or michael Jackson than it would be totally different.

Another example dressing as a native american, as opposed to dressing like a wayne newton.
Don't quote me on this, but I think that girl was someone semi famous attempting to dress up like Lil Wayne. If she was just trying to be a no named black rapper, then I do see the problem with that.

So if she is indeed dressing up like Lil Wayne, same reasoning should be used as Wade dressing up like JT in my opinion. One person dressing up like a certain character. If the costume was an attempt at stereotyping a random person from a race, then I agree with you.

laugh.gif

Your slow she clearly has wayne's tats on her face, diamond teeth, red rag and styrofoam cup. If ol girl is wrong so is D. Wade
tired.gif

Originally Posted by kiendienn

at the end of the day, none of yall are gonna step to anyone wearing an "offensive" costume

What does this matter?  Why does someone need to get violent?  You can't go fighting everyone that you don't agree with or that lacks any sense of respect for themselves or anyone else. 

Originally Posted by CurbYourEnthusiasm

a geisha is like a ninja.

they are outfits worn by people in particular professions.

its like putting on a construction worker suit.....or a superman outfit.....

that argument is beyond dead.

dont mention it again.
indifferent.gif
Comparing a ninja to a geisha? Really? 

Come at me proper, when you know a bit more about Asian and Asian-American history. Until then keep defending the blackface costume as if your ethnicity is the only one that was made a mockery in American society.

Originally Posted by carbon16

laugh.gif

Your slow she clearly has wayne's tats on her face, diamond teeth, red rag and styrofoam cup. If ol girl is wrong so is D. Wade
tired.gif

Do you know what black-face is?

Originally Posted by Enchanted1

Hahah forgot about Wade going as J Timberlake. What do all you offended people feel about this?

Exactly!

Like dude said on the last page alot of yall just don't take into account the history behind Blackface and and the rest of these costumes. They were created to degrade people, and now some frat idiot want's to be funny by wearing it. They have full on parties at some colleges dedicated to mocking Minorities, so stop playing dumb like this is all fun and games....  

But they're not going as blackface. They don't paint their face and go around singiing "I like the moona, and the joona, and the springa". They're playing characters too, rapper, actor, gang member, whatever it may be. These are characters, they're not going representing an entire race of people.

That's why I said earlier. If you feel like they're Lil Wayne costume is offensive because you believe they're representing your entire race while they're just trying to be Lil Wayne makes you racist. Double standards FTL

Originally Posted by Enchanted1

Exactly!

But they're not going as blackface. They don't paint their face and go around singiing "I like the moona, and the joona, and the springa". They're playing characters too, rapper, actor, gang member, whatever it may be. These are characters, they're not going representing an entire race of people.

That's why I said earlier. If you feel like they're Lil Wayne costume is offensive because you believe they're representing your entire race while they're just trying to be Lil Wayne makes you racist. Double standards FTL

Do you understand the history of black-face?  Do you understand the historical dynamics of race in this country?  The Lil' Wayne costume is not offensive because people think it's "representing an entire race."  It's offensive because of the history of black-face as a part of the historical racial dynamics of this country.  Do you understand?

Originally Posted by GRyPR33

Originally Posted by DajonDondo

theres a reason why there isnt a white kid on the front page holding up a photo. It simply doesnt bother you people. All those photoes on the first page are whtie people dressed up in costumes....
jus sayin... 
What do you mean, you people?
roll.gif

He's right though. Have any white NTer's actually ever felt racism towards them or felt offended by a racist remark/situation? The worst most of us have probably ever gotten was being called "White-boy". I couldn't even comprehend what others feel on the subject, because I haven't been through what they have.

Chapter 9 White Racial Identity Development: Therapeutic Implications

From

Sue, D.W., & Sue, D. (2003). Counseling the Culturally Diverse. Wiley: New York.

What does being White mean? Have you ever asked yourself that question? If not, why haven’t you? If you have, what was your answer? The following is taken from You Are a Racist! (in progress).

What Does it Mean. to Be White?

42-year-old White businessman

Q:What does it mean to be White?

A:Frankly, I don’t know what you’re talking about!

Q:Aren’t you White?

A:Yes, but I come from Italian heritage. I’m Italian, not White.

Q:Well then, what does it mean to be Italian?

A:tongue:asta, good food, love of wine [obviously agitated]. This is getting ridiculous!

OBSERVATIONS:Denial and/or conflicted about being White. Claims Italian heritage, but unable to indicate more than superficial understanding of ethnic meaning. Expresses annoyance at the question.

26-year-old White female college student

A:Is this a trick question? [pause] I’ve never thought about it. Well, 1 know that lots of Black people see us as being prejudiced and all that stuff I wish people would just forget about race differences and see one another as human beings. People are people and we should all be proud to be Americans.

OBSERVATIONS: Seldom thinks about being White. Defensive about prejudicial associations with Whiteness. Desires to eliminate or dilute race differences.

236Worldviews in Multicultural counseling/Therapy

65-year-old White male retired construction worker

A:That’s a stupid question [sounds irritated]!

Q:Why?

A:Look, what are you... Oriental? You people are always blaming us for stereotyping, and here you are doing the same to us.

Q:When you say “us, “ to whom are you referring?

A:I’m referring to Americans who aren’t colored. We are all different from one another. I’m Irish but there are Germans, Italians, and those Jews. I get an¬gry at the colored people foralways blaming us. When my grandparents came over to this country, they worked 24 hours a day to provide a good living for their kids. My wife and I raised five kids, and I worked every day of my life to provide for them. No one gave me nothing! I get angry at the Black people for always whining. They just have to get off their butts and work rather than go¬ing on welfare. At least you people [reference to Asian Americans] work hard. The Black ones could learn from your people.

OBSERVATIONS: Believes question stereotypes Whites and expresses resentment with being categorized. Views White people as ethnic group. Expresses belief that anyone can be successful if they work hard. Believes African Americans are lazy and that Asian Americans are successful. Strong anger directed toward minority groups.

34-year-old White female stockbroker

A:I don’t know [laughing]. I’ve never thought about it.

Q:Are you White?

A: Yes, I suppose so [seems very amused].

Q:Why haven’t you thought about it?

A:Because it’s not important to me.

Q:Why not?

A:It doesn’t enter into my mind because it doesn’t affect my life. Besides, we are all unique. Color isn’t important.

OBSERVATIONS: Never thought about being White because it’s unimportant. People are individuals, and color isn’t important.

These are not atypical responses given by White Euro-Americans when posed with this question. When people of color are asked the same question, their answers tended to be more specific:

White Racial Identity Development: Therapeutic implications237

29-year-old Latina administrative assistant

A:I’m not White; I’m Latina!

Q:Are you upset with me?

A:No. . . . Its just that I’m light, so people always think I’m White. Its only when I speak that they realize I’m Hispanic.

Q:Well, what does it mean to be White?

A:Do you really want to know?. . . Okay, it means you’re always right. It means you never have to explain yourself or apologize.... You know that movie /Love Story, which features the line, “Love is never having to say you’re sorry]? Well, being White is never having to say you’re sorry. It means they think they’re better than us.

OBSERVATIONS: Strong reaction to being mistaken for being White. Claims that be¬ing White makes people feel superior and is reflected in their disinclination to admit be¬ing wrong.

39 year-old Black male salesman

A:Is this a school exercise or something? Never expected someone to ask me that question in the middle of the city. Do you want the politically correct answer or what I really think?

Q:Can you tell me what you really think?

A:You won’t quit, will you [laughing]? If you‘re White, you’re right. If you‘re Black, step back.

Q:What does that mean?

A:White folks are always thinking they know all the answers. A Black man’s word is worth less than a White man’s. When White customers come into our dealership and see me standing next to the cars, I become invisible to them. Ac¬tually, they may see me as a well-dressed janitor [laughs], or actively avoid me. They will search out a White salesman. Or when I explain something to a customer, they always check out the information with my White colleagues. They don’t trust me. When I mention this to our manager, who is White, he tells me I’m oversensitive and being paranoid. That’s what being White means. It means having the authority or power to tell me what’s really hap¬pening even though I know it’s not. Being White means you can fool yourself into thinking that you’re not prejudiced, when you are. That’s what it means to be White.

OBSERVATIONS: Being White means you view minorities as less competent and ca¬pable. You have the power to define reality. You can deceive yourself into believing you’re not prejudiced.

238Worldviews in Multicultural Counseling/Therapy

21-year-old Chinese American male college student (majoring in ethnic studies)

A: My cultural heritage class was just discussing that question 

this week.

Q:What was your conclusion?

A:Well, it has to do with White privilege. I read an article by a professor at Wellesley. It made a lot of sense to me. Being White in this society automati¬cally guarantees you better treatment and unearned benefits and privileges than minorities. Having white skin means you have the freedom to choose the neighborhood you live in. You won’t be discriminated against. When you en¬ter a store, security guards won’t assume you will steal something. You can flag down a cab without the thought they won’t pick you up because you’re a minority. You can study in school and be assured your group will be portrayed positively. You don’t have to deal with race or think about it.

Q:Are White folks aware of their White privilege?

A:Hell no! They’re oblivious to it.

OBSERVATIONS:Being White means having unearned privileges in our society. It means you are oblivious to the advantages of being White.

The Invisible Whiteness of Being

The responses given by White Euro-Americans and persons of color are rad¬ically different from one another. Yet the answers given by both groups are quite common and representative of the range of responses students give in our diversity and multicultural classes. White respondents would rather not think about their Whiteness, are uncomfortable or react negatively to being labeled “White,

That article by mr.Sue was very good and its well written like Tim WIse's workshops.Alot of truth is in it.America and our whole planet has a long way to go with race relations.Efforts like that book and Tim Wise's workshops are a good step forward.I think the anonymity of the internet is holding the flame of prejudice high.Alot of people hide their racism behind memes,shops and various other internet phenonama.

Originally Posted by moe200069

Big difference.

Two whites dudes and a black dude dressed up as NWA. They all grew up on NWA, ATCQ, Naughty by Nature, etc. How can they be mocking a race when they are dressed up as characters they actually look up to and respect? That's like telling a white dude he can't wear a Lebron James jersey. He wants to imitate someone he is a fan of. What's the problem?

As far as the the Compton Cookout at a fraternity, it is different because it's in bad taste. It sounds like a group of kids mocking the California gang culture. It's also stereotyping an entire area.
but that's the exact problem, why do folks think it's permissible to pick and choose when it's okay to stereotype? 

dressing up like NWA, Naughty by Nature, ATCQ, or whichever rap group you prefer is one thing.  but last time i checked, NWA didn't represent an entire community.  but when a group of privileged college students want to start dressing up like they're from the "ghetto" or the hood, without ever having lived or walked in these communities, that's when "costumes" become just as offensive as racial slurs.  there isn't a big distinction between stereotyping an ethnic group and stereotyping a residential community; the only difference is who the target is.

and do i really need to address how asinine the comment about the Lebron James' jersey is? come on man, how are you going to equate wearing a sports team's jersey with that of putting on a costume that supposedly "represents" a culture.  wearing a jersey of a player or team you like is called being a fan. buying a kimono from a halloween store, wearing it, and then saying you're Japanese is called appropriation and commodification.
You basically just regurgitated what I said. Dressing up like a certain character is one thing. Dressing in an attempt to stereotype a culture is another. One is okay, one is in poor taste. That's what I just posted. You quoted it.

So the Lebron jersey hypothetical does work in the 1st situation. If I can't dress up like Michael Jackson or Eazy-E, I shouldn't be able to dress like my favorite basketball player if you want to keep the reasoning consistent.

and to be easy e or ice cube you need to have on blackface?

the whole NWA hat with jheri curls is too ambiguous?

gotta have blackface for us to say "OHHHHHH, THAT WHITE KID IS EASY E, NOT A WHITE BOY WITH A JHERI CURL, OHHH"

eyes.gif

stop it.

wearing a lebron jersey and saying youre lebron is different from painting your face black, a symbol of racism in this country...

its plain english, how are you not understanding it?

Originally Posted by thekryptonite

Just out of interest, was this film racist to anyone?

white_chicks,0.jpg

just out of interest, have you ever even watched the movie?

also, can you give us some context in which black people in whiteface has been used to systematically oppress on a widespread scale?

im interested.

read through a bunch of this thread.  My 2 cents

I understand that the costume's can be found offensive (black-face and such).  But 99% of the people dressed up like this do not have the intent of degrading an entire race.  I think intent should be taken into consideration.  By dressing like lil wayne i don't think the person wants african american's to remember the times of when black face was used to publicly embarrass them.  I know that this may be what happens to some and why they are so upset.  But when you stop and think about the intent.....I think they just like lil wayne.

I can understand being upset but to hate them and feel disrespected...that should be based on intent.  

intent doesnt matter.

blackface is offensive.

it has history behind it and the history is offensive.

intent is irrelevant.

besides, alot of this is unspoken intent.

you think these white kids putting on blackface are completely oblivious to the history of the blackface? they're completely oblivious that putting on blackface is offensive to black people? really?

its not funny to make fun of black people? you can put brown paint on your body and act like a rapper in a rap video or like dave chappelle when he was lil jon? there's not an unspoken understanding when these white kids put this stuff on?

only unspoken in the presence of any other minority, of course....

so, when, inevitably, some minority gets bent out of shape and claims they are offended they can say

"BUT THAT WASNT MY INTENT"

right?

oh.

Back
Top Bottom