College students protesting "racist" Halloween costumes vol. C'mon man

Originally Posted by djuzi05

Originally Posted by Michael Kelso

7_102611_list_307x208.jpg

Hahah forgot about Wade going as J Timberlake. What do all you offended people feel about this?

laugh.gif
If I were JT I would be offended.He looks like an ashy mime.

Originally Posted by moe200069

what's the difference between these costumes and a bunch of predominantly white fraternities hosting a "Compton Cookout" or a "ghetto"-themed party? correct me if i'm wrong, but a lot of you cats talking about "soft"-this and "extra sensitive"-that were probably some of the same individuals who were irate about the idea of a "Compton Cookout."

on another note, when did generalizing, stereotyping, and/or appropriating become acceptable behavior?
Big difference.

Two whites dudes and a black dude dressed up as NWA. They all grew up on NWA, ATCQ, Naughty by Nature, etc. How can they be mocking a race when they are dressed up as characters they actually look up to and respect? That's like telling a white dude he can't wear a Lebron James jersey. He wants to imitate someone he is a fan of. What's the problem?

As far as the the Compton Cookout at a fraternity, it is different because it's in bad taste. It sounds like a group of kids mocking the California gang culture. It's also stereotyping an entire area.

Originally Posted by DajonDondo

Originally Posted by RufioRufioRufio

Originally Posted by CelticsFan9783

Originally Posted by RufioRufioRufio

IDK IF IT'S BC YOU'RE FROM BOSTON THAT YOU DONT UNDERSTAND.

LOOK UP THE MOVIE TRAILER I POSTED OR IF YOU HAVE ACCES WATCH THE VID.

OR AT LEAST GOOGLE RACIAL IDENTITY STAGES BY SUE AND SUE.
Pot.Kettle.Black

laugh.gif

Talk about prejudice.
THE HELL YOU TALKING ABOUT????
THAT WAS A COMPLIMENT. BOSTON... MASS IS ACTUALLY A VERY LIBERAL AND ACCEPTING STATE. MOST NORTHERN STATES ARE.

DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
you obviously never been to Boston. Its very segregated city. Charlestown and South Boston dont like Black people. 
But what you mean by he from Boston he wont understand? go more into detail.

qfmft. i've been to dorchester, and the disparity between white and black is strong, word to oreos. dorchester ave literally separates the white side and black side. ironically, i've only ever chilled on the white side.

anybody notice it's all WHITE Peoplin those costumes ? 
laugh.gif
grin.gif

(do they not want to be themselves) 

Originally Posted by NYC game

laugh.gif
grin.gif

Only white people can be racist. You didn't know?
Don't know what that had to do with my quote but ok buddy 
smokin.gif

laugh.gif
grin.gif

smokin.gif
My point being if it were a Latino dude wearing a terrorist get up, there would be no outcry by STARS.

smokin.gif
My point being if it were a Latino dude wearing a terrorist get up, there would be no outcry by STARS.
But it wasn't a latino, or any other racial group in any of those photos. 
So if you're going to quote me with a piss poor rebuttal like that the least you can do is throw some images up of another culture dressed up as a white person for a halloween costume. 

If you're trying to argue that white people are being ganged up on you won't win any sympathy votes from me.

Im gonna be the one to say it.

White People wearing a black face looks racist because of their past. So its worse for a white guy to wear it because we look at most of them being racist because of their past. Black guy wearing a white face wouldn't look racist because Blacks don't have a history of being racist. Its a white mans world. Not a black mans world.

White Chicks movie was for white people. Not for us. If anything its a embarrasment to the black community to have 2 guys who are suppose to be comedians dressed up as white women. The White guy is writing their checks.............

Im not racist. Just saying how i see it. I seen alot of white people here in Boston who hate Asians, Blacks, Hispanics and Indians.

Any white person telling people of color what they should and shouldn't be offended by really needs to stop.  Whether or not you want to admit it, this is a prime example of the privilege that white folks have enjoyed in this country for centuries.  Y'all need to realize that if someone is offended by something, the intent becomes secondary to the reality that people are offended.  Make the choice and break the cycle.

smokin.gif
So if you're going to quote me with a piss poor rebuttal like that the least you can do is throw some images up of another culture dressed up as a white person for a halloween costume. 

If you're trying to argue that white people are being ganged up on you won't win any sympathy votes from me.
There have already been some posted. They don't bother me though. I actually thought D-Wade's take on JT was funny. I just think it's hypocritical that there is no white person in one of those posters holding up a picture of a non-white dressed in white face. Because yes it does happen as well. Just not as much made of it.

There have already been some posted. They don't bother me though. I actually thought D-Wade's take on JT was funny. I just think it's hypocritical that there is no white person in one of those posters holding up a picture of a non-white dressed in white face. Because yes it does happen as well. Just not as much made of it.
theres a reason why there isnt a white kid on the front page holding up a photo. It simply doesnt bother you people. All those photoes on the first page are whtie people dressed up in costumes....
jus sayin... 

I didn't bother going though the pages, but you're talking about Wade impersonating a single character out of the bunch, which is different than impersonating a whole race.
Do you not see that ?

For instance If the white girl with the gold chain was impersonating 50 cent or michael Jackson than it would be totally different.

Another example dressing as a native american, as opposed to dressing like a wayne newton.

what's the difference between these costumes and a bunch of predominantly white fraternities hosting a "Compton Cookout" or a "ghetto"-themed party? correct me if i'm wrong, but a lot of you cats talking about "soft"-this and "extra sensitive"-that were probably some of the same individuals who were irate about the idea of a "Compton Cookout."

on another note, when did generalizing, stereotyping, and/or appropriating become acceptable behavior?
Big difference.

Two whites dudes and a black dude dressed up as NWA. They all grew up on NWA, ATCQ, Naughty by Nature, etc. How can they be mocking a race when they are dressed up as characters they actually look up to and respect? That's like telling a white dude he can't wear a Lebron James jersey. He wants to imitate someone he is a fan of. What's the problem?

As far as the the Compton Cookout at a fraternity, it is different because it's in bad taste. It sounds like a group of kids mocking the California gang culture. It's also stereotyping an entire area.
but that's the exact problem, why do folks think it's permissible to pick and choose when it's okay to stereotype? 

dressing up like NWA, Naughty by Nature, ATCQ, or whichever rap group you prefer is one thing.  but last time i checked, NWA didn't represent an entire community.  but when a group of privileged college students want to start dressing up like they're from the "ghetto" or the hood, without ever having lived or walked in these communities, that's when "costumes" become just as offensive as racial slurs.  there isn't a big distinction between stereotyping an ethnic group and stereotyping a residential community; the only difference is who the target is.

and do i really need to address how asinine the comment about the Lebron James' jersey is? come on man, how are you going to equate wearing a sports team's jersey with that of putting on a costume that supposedly "represents" a culture.  wearing a jersey of a player or team you like is called being a fan. buying a kimono from a halloween store, wearing it, and then saying you're Japanese is called appropriation and commodification.
Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

Some where between 1776 and civil rights movement
yeah, the dominant culture in America would like you to think it was acceptable.

Originally Posted by red mpls

Any white person telling people of color what they should and shouldn't be offended by really needs to stop.  Whether or not you want to admit it, this is a prime example of the privilege that white folks have enjoyed in this country for centuries.  Y'all need to realize that if someone is offended by something, the intent becomes secondary to the reality that people are offended.  Make the choice and break the cycle.

382542-FB%7EHammer-in-Contact-with-Head-of-Nail-Posters.jpg

but let's see how many people come in here decrying that your opinion is overly "sensitive" and that people of color are guilty of dressing up in these costumes too, and therefore, your argument is no longer valid.

Originally Posted by red mpls

Any white person telling people of color another race what they should and shouldn't be offended by really needs to stop. 

Fixed

I didn't bother going though the pages, but you're talking about Wade impersonating a single character out of the bunch, which is different than impersonating a whole race.
Do you not see that ?

For instance If the white girl with the gold chain was impersonating 50 cent or michael Jackson than it would be totally different.

Another example dressing as a native american, as opposed to dressing like a wayne newton.
Don't quote me on this, but I think that girl was someone semi famous attempting to dress up like Lil Wayne. If she was just trying to be a no named black rapper, then I do see the problem with that.

So if she is indeed dressing up like Lil Wayne, same reasoning should be used as Wade dressing up like JT in my opinion. One person dressing up like a certain character. If the costume was an attempt at stereotyping a random person from a race, then I agree with you.

Big difference.

but that's the exact problem, why do folks think it's permissible to pick and choose when it's okay to stereotype? 

dressing up like NWA, Naughty by Nature, ATCQ, or whichever rap group you prefer is one thing.  but last time i checked, NWA didn't represent an entire community.  but when a group of privileged college students want to start dressing up like they're from the "ghetto" or the hood, without ever having lived or walked in these communities, that's when "costumes" become just as offensive as racial slurs.  there isn't a big distinction between stereotyping an ethnic group and stereotyping a residential community; the only difference is who the target is.

and do i really need to address how asinine the comment about the Lebron James' jersey is? come on man, how are you going to equate wearing a sports team's jersey with that of putting on a costume that supposedly "represents" a culture.  wearing a jersey of a player or team you like is called being a fan. buying a kimono from a halloween store, wearing it, and then saying you're Japanese is called appropriation and commodification.

You basically just regurgitated what I said. Dressing up like a certain character is one thing. Dressing in an attempt to stereotype a culture is another. One is okay, one is in poor taste. That's what I just posted. You quoted it.

So the Lebron jersey hypothetical does work in the 1st situation. If I can't dress up like Michael Jackson or Eazy-E, I shouldn't be able to dress like my favorite basketball player if you want to keep the reasoning consistent.

Back
Top Bottom