College students protesting "racist" Halloween costumes vol. C'mon man

Originally Posted by red mpls

Originally Posted by CurbYourEnthusiasm

IT DOESNT MATTER IF THEY KNOW THE HISTORY

that's honestly the weakest cop out available.

"i didnt know"

im 10000000% sure none of these blackface costumes would be wore to the inner-city nor a mostly black neighborhood...

they keep it in the suburbs and the white frat houses.....and get real awkward infront of black people.

ive seen it with my own two eyes since 2001 on the campus of The Ohio State University.

its a weak cop out and its irrelevant either way.

the USA didnt know what was going to happen when invading middle eastern countries,

no way you can criticize them for invading countries, they simply didnt know it was going to be a huge embarassing failure.

%!!! outta here.

they know.

heres a wild idea

how about they just dont do it because people say its offensive

why are people arguing "nah, you're not really offended."

or "nah, this isnt offensive"

PEOPLE ARE OFFENDED BY BLACKFACE

HOW ARE YOU GOING TO TELL THEM THEY ARENT OFFENDED OR ITS NOT OFFENSIVE WHEN THEY ARE OFFENDED?

WHY ARE YOU ARGUING?

STOP OFFENDING PEOPLE

dont argue once you offend someone, just apologize and gain perspective as to not offend them again.

ive literally typed the same thing 3 times and people arent even reading it...just posting "i dont think its racist because they dont know the history"

when i told yall 6 pages ago intent is irrelevant.

but keep flapping them ignorant gums....er...flicking them ignorant fingers.

I said the same thing but was ignored also.

White folks have been the ones telling Black people what's good for them, what they need, how they should feel, what they shouldn't be offended by, etc. for centuries in this country (and around the world).  I know you feel like you don't have to, but please start listening to your brothers and sisters of color.

Like I said before, PRIVILEGE AND ENTITLEMENT ARE A MOTHER %+$%$$ and this thread serves as ample proof.

Mogs in here feel so privileged and entitled that they aren't even the slightest bit conscious of it and can't even recognize it.
And black people for decades have been pointing the finger at other nationalities trying to tell them what they can and can't do, what's the difference? I've grown past being perpetually offended all the time. It's a joke, and large part of the reason we are dead last right now. Maybe those fingers should turn around 180 degrees and point at ourselves as the source of our problems and redirect that same energy into making something of positive of our lives.

Let's talk about black privilege though. We can participate in mainstream institutions, yet we still maintain all of our own "black only" ones. If anything ever doesn't go our way, anyone doesn't agree with us, something doesn't work out how we'd like it, race card! It's a crutch and it is WAY overused. Previous generations had far less freedoms and opportunities and made more of them. Then when we're not as successful as others, we try to undermine their hard work that got them there by insinuating, or hell flat out accusing, that it's all just a result of their skin color and handouts, and of course that they are racist.

We act is other races owe us an apology for being more successful.

Our whole way of thinking is filled with so many backasswards, double standard ridden, logical fallacies it's hard to imagine us ever overcoming and stopping the current regression we are going through.

There's no introspection. Everything is just a result of racism and the white man.

First step to solving a problem is admitting you have one, and the black community isn't even at that step 1 yet.

Originally Posted by CelticsFan9783

Right, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  But white folks are not entitled to the opinion of people of color and that's the heart of this issue.

You could say, "I really don't think that Lil' Wayne costume with the brown make-up is offensive BUT since many Black folks seem to be offended by it, I will respect their opinion about what offends them enough to support them in saying maybe people should not wear it for that reason."

Instead, you are saying, "I really don't think that Lil' Wayne costume with the brown make-up is offensive.  Many Black folks are apparently offended but since I don't think that they should be offended, I will support people wearing such costumes and tell Black people that there's no reason for them to feel offended."

Do you understand the difference?
Absolutely. Say I was wearing a get up of say Snoop Dogg and went to the point of darkening my skin. If someone came up to me and gave me their perspective and told me they were offended, I would apologize. Tell them that I'm light skinned and thought it would be more believable if I made my skin color resemble Snoop. I'm in no way racist, just wanted my character to be resemble Snoop's likenees even if it came off as silly. I would tell them I understand the history of Blackface and that I respect them coming up to me. We would hopefully go our separate ways without further issue. Communication is essential
pimp.gif

So you're saying that you don't have enough respect and consideration for the perspectives and experiences of Black people to not want to offend them?  You are willing to offend a historically and currently oppressed and marginalized group of people so that you'll have what you feel will be a "better" or "more accurate" Halloween costume?

You would apologize that THEY are offended but not for YOUR actions? 

Wow.

Originally Posted by heirjordan15

Right,everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  But white folks are notentitled to the opinion of people of color and that's the heart of thisissue.

You could say, "I really don't think that Lil' Waynecostume with the brown make-up is offensive BUT since many Black folksseem to be offended by it, I will respect their opinion about whatoffends them enough to support them in saying maybe people should notwear it for that reason."

Instead, you are saying, "I reallydon't think that Lil' Wayne costume with the brown make-up isoffensive.  Many Black folks are apparently offended but since I don't think that they shouldbe offended, I will support people wearing such costumes and tell Blackpeople that there's no reason for them to feel offended."

Do you understand the difference?
^^ you made a great point.  
Butthe real "heart of the issue" is that it's all about race in the firstplace.  Race is a socially constructed idea.  We (humans) chose skincolor and certain facial characteristics to define race instead ofheight, eye color, #$%^ size, etc.

Race willalways be an issue because people continue to have too much pride andwill not drop it from conversation.  Am I saying ignore the issues ofthe past? No. Just stop making everything from here on out about race.

I know fully well that race is a social construction.  However, it is a social construction that continues to have tremendous implications in people's lives.  So what is your point?  That we should ignore race because it's "make-believe" even though it still affects people's life chances in nearly every conceivable way?

Also, you state that "race will always be an issue because people continue to have too much pride and will not drop it from the conversation."  Who are these "people" with "too much pride" who refuse to "drop race from the conversation?"  I don't understand what you're saying.
idk bro.  I'm just thinking of an ideal situation where it doesn't play a factor.  
"these people" include everyone in this thread, including myself.  I'm trying to make a point to not make a point.  

nfih61.jpg

^ That costume is inarguably racist and not all comparable to dressing like Lil Wayne.

So I was racking my brain and trying to figure out how these sheltered, racist, silver-spooner, white people got the wrong idea about Compton, and perhaps about black people in general. It couldn't be that that's how we people portray it and ourselves could it? Nah couldn't be.

NWA_cover_400px.jpg

dont-be-a-menace-to-south-central-poster1.jpg

220px-Boyz_n_the_hood_poster.jpg

61h7GhsQAnL._SL290_.jpg

1.jpg

/www.j-loveonline.com/images/GAMEpt2proof.jpg">http://www.j-loveonline.com/images/GAMEpt2proof.jpg" alt="image">

i27717yjj00.jpg

baby-boy-movie-poster-2001-1010475885.jpg

StraightOutOfCompton.jpg

file.php

h32645lkaoe.jpg

cripsint.jpg

@ Scientific Method: ^ I'm Italian and the same could be said about us. I've never been apart of the "mafioso" or even been to the state of New Jersey (or a plumber for that matter). The difference is skin color...I can seperate myself from the "sterotypical Italian" A LOT easier than that of a minority seperating themselves from their sterotypes. Maybe some people just don't like to be portrayed like that and feel it's an insult to their intelligence, culture, and their individual selves (just maybe...hmm?).

Yo judging from how there are many people are offended by this, maybe we should just muster up the empathy and not do this type of tomfoolery? 

You know...instead of trying to justify and nitpick every detail which might, in our mind, make this type of behavior socially acceptable?

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by djuzi05

Originally Posted by Michael Kelso

7_102611_list_307x208.jpg

Hahah forgot about Wade going as J Timberlake. What do all you offended people feel about this?
he's going as a person.. JT.
not a generic white person
The dude in the first pic isnt going as a generic black person, so whats your point? 
laugh.gif

Id love to hear Method Man's input on this.  Is Dwyane Wade being racist for this costume?

Originally Posted by AirCommanderMarsFiend

@ Scientific Method: ^ I'm Italian and the same could be said about us. I've never been apart of the "mafioso" or even been to the state of New Jersey (or a plumber for that matter). The difference is skin color...I can seperate myself from the "sterotypical Italian" A LOT easier than that of a minority seperating themselves from their sterotypes. Maybe some people just don't like to be portrayed like that and feel it's an insult to their intelligence, culture, and their individual selves (just maybe...hmm?).

eloquently effective.
people can hide behind their whiteness.

Nah, they only complain when other races notice. Black people love that @+#+. It's our overwhelmingly dominant depiction, movies, music, real life. It's all you see on "our" own channel. Love to call each other the N word, get all sour faced when someone else uses it in the same context. Love to promote that whole "hood" and ghetto lifestyle, get mad when someone else notices. Love listening to "music" that calls us and women out of their name, throw a hissy fit when Don Imus says "nappy headed *@++" on a radio show that probably has single digit black listeners anyways. Even kats like Snoop Dogg, who made their living calling women worst things, had the nerve to join in. Every black comedian, even the prominent ones like Chris Rock, has entire sets of "white people" jokes, but let a white comedian make a black joke, it's like the world stops spinning.

We made martyrs of 6 kids who beat a white kid to the point of unconsciousness, all because they were likely called a racial epithet. Of course we wouldn't justify 6 white kids pounding on a black kid. The Al Sharpton bat symbol would be flashed with a quickness summoning him to the city. That entire situation was just an embarassment. Then after all that crying to get them "free," we stage a march with 10s of 1000s, which was of course culminated by a rap concert and set up a fund for the kids so they can... umm, don't know what the purpose of it but here's what happened with the money. They took gangsta rapper pics/videos with it for myspace. 2 of them even got to go to the BET awards where they walked on stage to a standing ovation. Like, these are our heroes?

mg%5D<br>%5Bimg%5D<a%20%20rel=
http://bp1.blogger.com/_c...KU/s320/jena6myspace.jpg" alt="image">

jena6boys1.jpg

jena6-hip-hop-big.jpg

Barker.jpg

I can see why some people have issues with being around us at times. It's like walking on egg shells, people get offended at EVERYTHING.

And I do very well at separating myself from these stereotypical depictions. For starters, I wear my pants at my waist. Furthermore, I conduct myself with a level of decorum that demands respect as an individual.

The major differences with us and communities is when they get offended, they feel some kind of way about, then move on, get over it, and make something of their lives. We're great at the former, not so much the latter.

Hell, even your boy Meth's banning practices around the subject have me raising my eyebrow at times. Check out this thread. Kids in the video are obviously all black, correct? So how can someone get banned for pointing out the obvious? In fact, I post in this thread with trepidation because I've seen even black posters get banned for talking in threads like these, if it didn't of course revolve around just blaming the white man.

We do all this "keep it real" talk, but don't like to hear about ourselves.
hearnoevil.jpg

Originally Posted by I AM KNOWLEDGE

Curb I'm on your side bro.

I was responding to the cat that said you haven't seen a minstrel show. And I was telling him that he hasn't seen A Birth of a Nation, which wasn't a minstrel show, but a disgraceful display of black face.

yeah i caught that later, that the response was for him, not me.

for the record, ive seen both, a minstrel show and a birth of a nation.

i took an upper-level (500 level) course entitled "The History of African Americans in Cinema" (among many others)

the biggest stock image they used as propaganda against black people was the stark contrast of white objects against their black skin.

the black skin was the main focus of EVERY recording of black people before sound was implemented with film.

i will spare you all the detailed history of the minstrel character and black face in general,

becauseim not gonna waste my time when most of you all are too arrogant to read it anyway.

but thats a brief rundown of my credentials on this topic....

so these cats can spare me with arguing what blackface is or isnt.

and just flat out say they dont care they hold racially offensive positions on something as stupid as a halloween costume.

yall have to live with that truth, not me.

Originally Posted by ElijahDukes

i'm a student at the University of Toronto and a few years back some white dudes and a black dude dressed up as the guys from Cool Runnings. the white dudes did use blackface but they did not portray or reinforce any stereotypes of black people, i dont really see a problem with that, i mean how else would anyone know theyre from Cool Runnings?
roll.gif
yeah a jamaican bobsled team is so common, no way just dressing up as a jamaican bobsled team would identify them as the guys from cool runnings, no, its the blackface which really brings it all together....otherwise, we'd just mistake them for like....the dutch lacross team or something...and thats not funny.....

eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Rex Ryan

Originally Posted by kiendienn

at the end of the day, none of yall are gonna step to anyone wearing an "offensive" costume
so true 
laugh.gif

grin.gif
, done it, multiple times, scaring corny sheltered white people isnt high on my list of hobbies, tho.

he said nobody is gonna step like white people dressed in blackface are menacing...

roll.gif

i got females that would handle these kids, bruh.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

And black people for decades have been pointing the finger at other nationalities trying to tell them what they can and can't do,

Let's talk about black privilege though. We can participate in mainstream institutions, yet we still maintain all of our own "black only" ones.

We act is other races owe us an apology for being more successful.

There's no introspection. Everything is just a result of racism and the white man.

First step to solving a problem is admitting you have one, and the black community isn't even at that step 1 yet.

yeah, how dare we tell white people they cant refer to us as %#@%++ nor enslave us...how dare we.
indifferent.gif

LOL BLACK PRIVILEGE
roll.gif
 YES, THE HBCUS ARE SOMETHING WE BAN WHITES FROM GOING TO BECAUSE THEYRE SO AWESOME LMAO

laugh.gif

dude said 'we can participate in mainstream institutions'

buddy, you ever look at the enrollment by race to any random state university?

at The Ohio State University it was less than 10%.....we had 3200 black people at the entire school at any one time...

laugh.gif
 you're funny, dude.

HBCUs were created in a time when black people WERENT allowed to "participate" in "mainstream institutions"

i mean, i think thats common knowledge, but the things you type lead me to believe you actually didnt know that...

white people as a race dont owe us an apology for being "more successful" but they do owe us an apology for becoming successful off of free slave labor that the black race was NEVER reimbursed for, in fact, all they got was further discrimination and oppression through more complex legislation.....but im not going to pretend like you knew that, either...

everything isnt a result of racism and the white man, but for the United States of America, there is absolutely NO denying that, yes, indeed, EVERYTHING is a result of SLAVE LABOR

or you wont agree with that one, either?

grin.gif

first step is admitting there is a problem? son, there are hundreds of problems, and they're all admitted openly.

what is this dude talking about?

where do you live? how old are you? im interested.

im very intrigued by the phrase "black privilege" can you please please please continue articulating what that is, exactly?

^ That costume is inarguably racist and not all comparable to dressing like Lil Wayne.

So I was racking my brain and trying to figure out how these sheltered, racist, silver-spooner, white people got the wrong idea about Compton, and perhaps about black people in general. It couldn't be that that's how we people portray it and ourselves could it? Nah couldn't be.

NWA_cover_400px.jpg

dont-be-a-menace-to-south-central-poster1.jpg

220px-Boyz_n_the_hood_poster.jpg

61h7GhsQAnL._SL290_.jpg

1.jpg

%3Cbr%3E%3Ca%20href=
/www.j-loveonline.com/images/GAMEpt2proof.jpg">http://www.j-loveonline.com/images/GAMEpt2proof.jpg" alt="image">

i27717yjj00.jpg

baby-boy-movie-poster-2001-1010475885.jpg

StraightOutOfCompton.jpg

file.php

h32645lkaoe.jpg

cripsint.jpg

well, boyz n da hood, NWA and even baby boy are arguably criticisms of "the ghetto" and had/have political messages.

baby boy was a pretty awful movie, and i doubt very many white people have even seen it.

regardless, what do those images have to do with white people painting their skin black?

oh.

Nah, they only complain when other races notice. Black people love that @+#+. It's our overwhelmingly dominant depiction, movies, music, real life. It's all you see on "our" own channel. Love to call each other the N word, get all sour faced when someone else uses it in the same context. Love to promote that whole "hood" and ghetto lifestyle, get mad when someone else notices. Love listening to "music" that calls us and women out of their name, throw a hissy fit when Don Imus says "nappy headed *@++" on a radio show that probably has single digit black listeners anyways. Even kats like Snoop Dogg, who made their living calling women worst things, had the nerve to join in. Every black comedian, even the prominent ones like Chris Rock, has entire sets of "white people" jokes, but let a white comedian make a black joke, it's like the world stops spinning.

We made martyrs of 6 kids who beat a white kid to the point of unconsciousness, all because they were likely called a racial epithet. Of course we wouldn't justify 6 white kids pounding on a black kid. The Al Sharpton bat symbol would be flashed with a quickness summoning him to the city. That entire situation was just an embarassment. Then after all that crying to get them "free," we stage a march with 10s of 1000s, which was of course culminated by a rap concert and set up a fund for the kids so they can... umm, don't know what the purpose of it but here's what happened with the money. They took gangsta rapper pics/videos with it for myspace. 2 of them even got to go to the BET awards where they walked on stage to a standing ovation. Like, these are our heroes?

mg%5D%3Cbr%3E%5Bimg%5D%3Ca%20%20rel=
http://bp1.blogger.com/_c...KU/s320/jena6myspace.jpg" alt="image">

jena6boys1.jpg

jena6-hip-hop-big.jpg

Barker.jpg

I can see why some people have issues with being around us at times. It's like walking on egg shells, people get offended at EVERYTHING.

And I do very well at separating myself from these stereotypical depictions. For starters, I wear my pants at my waist. Furthermore, I conduct myself with a level of decorum that demands respect as an individual.

The major differences with us and communities is when they get offended, they feel some kind of way about, then move on, get over it, and make something of their lives. We're great at the former, not so much the latter.

Hell, even your boy Meth's banning practices around the subject have me raising my eyebrow at times. Check out http://niketalk.yuku.com/...ash-Mob-Robbery-Vol-MoCo href="http://niketalk.com/topic/310964/Flash-Mob-Robbery-Vol-MoCo">this thread. Kids in the video are obviously all black, correct? So how can someone get banned for pointing out the obvious? In fact, I post in this thread with trepidation because I've seen even black posters get banned for talking in threads like these, if it didn't of course revolve around just blaming the white man.

We do all this "keep it real" talk, but don't like to hear about ourselves.
hearnoevil.jpg

eyes.gif

who owns BET again? oh.

how dare black people get upset a white radio DJ called black women nappy headed @%+@ to an audience void of black listeners....how dare they

roll.gif

you know why black comedians can tell white jokes, but white comedians cant tell black jokes? you really wanna know why? white people rocked with their jokes for about 450 years, b. they done with the jokes now. nobody is laughing. thats why. call it black privilege.
roll.gif

yeah, in jena, the white students brough nooses in and did a little more than just calling them @%%+%+@. the entire outrage wasnt over that, it was over the fact the black kids recieved 10 times harsher punishments than the white kids who initiated the entire fiasco....but i wouldnt expect you to know that, either.

they're our heroes? lmao you legitamately asked that?

dude, please, how old are you and where do you live?

roll.gif

funny, cause i see white boys sag all the time, free from society's stereotypes...maybe it isnt your sagging pants but your black skin......guy

^Your president is black.

I doubt that 3/4 of those posters were near true, they were just pushed to send out the message.

I'm just glad my friends and I put dressing up as crayons on the back burner. I wouldn't want to offend the world.....I mean I guess we could just not paint our faces and then explain why we didn't go the extra mile to portray our crayon. Is is just about the face paint or would we had to leave out certain color costumes too. Some of you need to relax and live life shesh.

jesus christo is this kid scientific method serious. When I get on my personal laptop I will post the racial identity stages for minority races....

you gotta be effin kiddin me

Originally Posted by zmdawg

I'm just glad my friends and I put dressing up as crayons on the back burner. I wouldn't want to offend the world.....I mean I guess we could just not paint our faces and then explain why we didn't go the extra mile to portray our crayon. Is is just about the face paint or would we had to leave out certain color costumes too. Some of you need to relax and live life shesh.
.....crayons arent people, tho.

horrible attempt.

you get a -5 for that.

Originally Posted by RufioRufioRufio

jesus christo is this kid scientific method serious. When I get on my personal laptop I will post the racial identity stages for minority races....

i dont even think hes trolling, either...

whats the over under on this kid's douchebaggery:ignorance level
eyes.gif
?

horrible attempt.

you get a -5 for that.

But you took "intent" and used the analogy of paralyzing someone in an auto accident to hurting someone's feelings with Halloween costume
indifferent.gif

horrible attempt.

you get a -5 for that.

But you took "intent" and used the analogy of paralyzing someone in an auto accident to hurting someone's feelings with Halloween costume
indifferent.gif

drunk drivers dont intend to kill people

just like you argue white people don't intend to offend people with black face.

horrible analogy, you got it.

eyes.gif

"hurting someones feelings" you got it...thats what this is about...feelings.

dressing up as a crayon cannot be racially offensive, seeing how crayons arent even human, let alone have a race. now if you put a sign on the black crayon that said "i love fried chicken, dunking basketballs and being poor" then the yellow crayon said "im good at math but suck at driving" etc.  it would be racially offensive....but a crayon?

yall are trying much too hard to justify something thats flat-out wrong.

laugh.gif

keep going tho, i wanna see how ridiculous you can get.

Let's keep the debates clean. I'd hate for mods to lock this thread up when there's decent knowledge and rhetoric going on.

horrible attempt.

you get a -5 for that.

indifferent.gif

eyes.gif

dressing up as a crayon cannot be racially offensive, seeing how crayons arent even human, let alone have a race. now if you put a sign on the black crayon that said "i love fried chicken, dunking basketballs and being poor" then the yellow crayon said "im good at math but suck at driving" etc.  it would be racially offensive....but a crayon?

laugh.gif

Did you actually think the poster who mentioned Crayons was serious? Oh man...

indifferent.gif

eyes.gif

laugh.gif

Did you actually think the poster who mentioned Crayons was serious? Oh man...

roll.gif

herman cain debating?

sir, he was being sarcastic as to make a criticism of my stance on the issue of blackface costumes for halloween

which i called a weak analogy, seeing how crayons arent even human, let alone belong to a particular race.

to which you had a response for, comparing my analogy of a drunk driver to a kid wearing blackface to highlight that intent is irrelevant when the impact it ultimately has is negative and harmful....

why would YOU respond to my reponse if you and i both know hes being sarcastic?

if you thought i was dumb enough to not recognize the sarcasm, why would you introduce irrelevant information like "but you made an analogy..."?

if we both know its sarcasm why would you compare it to the non-sarcastic analogy i made?

matter of fact, if we both know its sarcasm why would you defend my criticism of it being weak at all?

oh.

i mean, a reasonable human being would consider your actions being some sort of defense of the very very poor analogy which i tore apart with one sentence......

the trolling comment was for another NTer.

serious or not the crayon analogy is poor.

the drunk driving analogy is pretty air tight, as you have done nothing to refute it.

in fact, you agreed that youre racially insensitive and don't really care if your actions offend people....wouldnt say youre racist, just pretty ignorant and lack perspective, but hey, you keep on keepin on, guy.

Back
Top Bottom