Complete CDP set?

Originally Posted by BIP Roberts

Originally Posted by 1C3M4M

Originally Posted by BIP Roberts

Don't really know why people went in on the CDPs. They were a gimmick, IMO, and about half of the shoes would have been dead weight at OUTLETS had they released individually. What the CDP was useful for was a quick and dirty way for noobs to get a complete 1-23 set. But, if you're going to spend 3 Gs for Jordans, you would have been better off buying half as many quality older releases. 310 for a 5/18 pack, when you could get a pair of '99 Vs for less than that? Really, is a crappy pair of XVIIIs, ones that many tried to sell like $100, worth the difference between a 99 V and the CDP V?

As long as those who bought them were/are happy, that's all that matters, but I think the whole CDP madness was basically a foolish way for somebody to spend 3K on Jordans in a year. I don't support the idea of bundling a "hot" shoe with an "outlet" shoe, to compel customers to pay retail for something they otherwise wouldn't in order to get the piece they really want. So, I didn't buy a single pack. I was tempted to buy the Carmine pack, but I had no desire for the XVII, so I didn't buy it on principle.

Why buy a pair of 99 v's to rock tho when you can get a cdp pair? Never understood the reason to cop a og shoe when the same shoe just retroed, im not a collector I wear my stuff so i want my shoes to be wearable, i could give 2 feces abt a nike air logo

ijapino, i hate you fam
pimp.gif

I wear my stuff too. Not trying to be condescending, but if you don't understand what is so superior about '99 Vs vs. CDPs, then I'm not really sure what I can tell you. I understand your point if the prior releases aren't rockable... like the IVs for example, which are notorious for crumbling.

Are you old enough to remember OG Vs? At that time, Nike was still making lots of shoes that weren't "Air." "Nike Air" on the back of the Vs was like the biggest inscription of "Nike Air" on any shoe out at the time. It's shallow, but it was a big deal. And, that huge "Nike Air" on the back was as defining a characteristic of the shoe as any. Just like the netting, or the reflective tongue. So, without it, the retro loses luster, IMO. Every change from the original is a demerit. And, this "Nike Air" to Jumpman is a huge change; it's ostensibly a rebranding of the shoe. Retros are about nostalgia and memories, so therefore accuracy to the original is important. It's about looking back to a different era, when there's a major change, it doesn't reflect the past - completely to the contrary, it just serves to emphasize that things aren't the same anymore.

And, of course, you have the issues relating to the quality of the product, which is a whole other discussion unto itself.

BIP, you are 100% dead on. I actually caved in bought a few of these packs as I needed one shoe to complete my I-XXIII set. The quality of the shoes in this package is atrocious and the worst offender has to be the CDP XIs. Till this day I kick myself for lining up at 4AM to buy the pack only to be disappointed at the brick/cast like feel of the XIs when I tried 'em on at home.

I feel you on the 'Nike Air' issue, but quality and comfort are far more important in my books and only a few CDP shoes delivered on the latter while all lacked on the former. As you stated most of the paired shoes were outlet fodder and there was an overall lack of creativity with the non-OG colourways.

Finally those talking about resale value seriously need to do some more research. I had to literally give away the ashy suede XXs for $50 and on top of that the buyer had the nerve to ask me if they were authentic. There's just a handful of shoes in the CDP that will command $200+ from buyers but that will last only until JB decides to re-retro those colourways again.

^ I agree re: the appraisals, but I didn't even want to open that can of worms. Since you did, I'll co-sign. For every shoe in the CDP series that commands $200 or more on the open market, there's a pair that struggles to net $100. The total retail price of a CDP set was $3410 (11 x 310) plus tax, meaning the average retail price of each shoe was $155. I'd say if you sold off each shoe, piece by piece, the overall value of the set is without about 10% of it's MSRP. By the time you account for tax and ebay, paypal fees (if you sell on ebay, for example), I'm not even sure you'd turn a profit 3 years after release.

Sure, you could flip the Carmines, IIIs, IVs, and such and make nice return on that one shoe, but then you're either stuck with a second shoe that you're taking a bath on, or when you sell that one and combine what you got from both, you're barely coming out ahead on the cost of pack in total. ...Even if you flipped the Carmine for 300 itself, if you paid NYC tax, sold it on ebay, and was paid via paypal. you have to sell the XVIII for $80 to break even and about $120 to make a 10% profit on the pack... roughly a 3% yearly appreciation.

If you like em, like em. And, if you rock em, rock em. But, the idea that hoarding these packs was a come-up is just pure fiction. ...And you know what, score one for JB here, for doing a fairly good job of sticking it to the resellers.

^^^
They stuck it to the resellers and their fans/consumers alike. I didn't want the ashy XVIIs, XVIIIs or XXs but I had to get them.

Only pack I wanted was the 11/12. It was a great marketing tool for the Jordan Brand. It allows people to buy more and spend more by packaging it together.

I hear ya. They stuck it loyal consumers too in some cases. For certain shoes where the price of the prior releases were 300+, and for quality previously non-retroed models - Carmines,Hares, you didn't really have much choice but to either pass altogether or take the crap pair along with the "heat." Ironically, these were 2 of the models that popped up as B-grades at outlets, but there was no real way of counting on that up front. But for IIs, Vs, VIIIs, IXs, you were probably better of just going after previous releases for less than the cost of the CDP.

I had a majority of the packs, but sold them after realizing I'd probably never wear them (definitely regretting a few)..

But yeah, when I was looking for the Concords on Craigslist, someone was selling the entire set for $4500.

Didn't buy a single pair, and there's absolutely nothing impressive about a complete set. About half these shoes are literally worthless, so you dudes talking about resale value are gassing yourselves. Have a pair of cdp 11s I got for free though, but don't wear them. Joints feel like i squeezed my foot in a cinder block, JB got you all

didn't get any of the CDP's because I ain't falling for Jordan's trap

but if I did cop a pack, it would be the 7/16 because I love both those kicks

Nice CDP, where do you keep all those big boxes? I copped the 6/17 , 3/20(gave away shoes where to tight to put my foot in) and the 11/12 paid like 400. Regret pass on the 7 ,5 pack

Back
Top Bottom