Conan O'Brien -- Free at Last

The whole reason they did this, is because 5-6 years ago when Conan's contract was up, they were so afraid of losing him to ABC or maybe Fox that theypromised him what everyone wants, The Tonight Show. Hoping to avoid the drama that Leno went through taking over after Carson, Leno agreed to step down...except like the big baby that he is, when it came time to he whined and complained. Meanwhile to make their star happy, the morons at NBC devised a"win/win" scenario of keeping Leno and saving huge sums of money by putting him on at 10pm.

NBC stopped caring about good broadcasting awhile ago, this whole fiasco just reinforces their failure, the whole reason was to save money, except no one wantsto watch Leno at 10 up against better primetime opponents.

I'm glad it's biting Leno and NBC in the %++, but I feel bad for Conan. He's had to change his show too much at 11:30 and his audience isn'tgetting any larger.

NBC is a bunch of fools if this true. Jay sucks at 10 why would you give a guy with HORRIBLE ratings a prime slot. From what I have seen Conan is holding hisown at 1130 against Letterman, nightline...

Jay must have pictures of somebody butt naked with a monkey if they make this move

JinKazama, when Jay left he was beating out Letterman consistently... and since Conan took over he's been losing regularly to Letterman.

Like I said before, NBC tried to make too many people happy with this. They should have either let Conan go 5 years ago and stay committed to Leno, or theyshould have not backed down and told Leno to kick rocks on another network. Now Leno's original audience is busy watching something else at 10pm. Also theycompletely crippled Conan's chances of succeeding. Now anyone who would have maybe watched his Tonight Show, would just watch Leno's awfulshow at 10, they took away any possible audience that didn't already exist for Conan.

damn sucks for conan but jay is
pimp.gif

i like conan and think he's the funniest late night guy but I haven't seen his show since the switch.

Originally Posted by RevTommy34

Conan's show is not the same. He needs more freedom.

Anybody who doesn't acknowledge that is in denial. This entire young vs. old argument is futile. Conan's audience is NOT watching TV while he is on.

I used to like Jay Leno's show but then I started to realize how much of a phony he is, can't stand him now. Especially now that he just took overconan's time slot, +@#@'d up smh

conans interviewing skills are far superior to jimmy fallons. half the time fallon has his freinds/ex-coworkers as guests and even then he doesnt have anythingto say, he usually regergitates what the guest says and laughs way to hard at stuff that aint funny.

Originally Posted by JinKazama

NBC is a bunch of fools if this true. Jay sucks at 10 why would you give a guy with HORRIBLE ratings a prime slot. From what I have seen Conan is holding his own at 1130 against Letterman, nightline...

Jay must have pictures of somebody butt naked with a monkey if they make this move
Jay has something better than a picture of a network exec naked with a monkey... its called a lucrative signed contract that probably has anequally lucrative buy-out clause.

Big J 33 hit the nail right on the head. This is all about MONEY. NBC took a somewhat calculated risk by trying to put a latenight talk show format onprimetime (10PM slot). One of the main reasons is because they wanted to keep all of their talent happy (Big J touched upon this already). Another reason wascost. It is exponentially cheaper to produce a daily talk show for the 10PM slot than it is to produce 5 scripted sitcoms or dramas (or even 4 cause Fridaynight TV is lame) even after taking into account Leno's sizeable salary. In hindsight, it was a stupid strategy for NBC that has pretty much blown up inits face.

Blame NBC. It's not really Jay's fault, he didn't want to leave the Tonight Show but Conan's contract was about to be up and they didn'twant to lose him but then they didn't want Jay to bolt to ABC either so they offered him his own show in the earlier time slot. Obviously that was destinedto fail so now they're scrambling. They should have just manned up and let either Jay or Conan walk and go to Fox or ABC.

Besides, for people saying "put Conan back on Late Night," that's not really in Conan's best interest. It's like getting promoted thendemoted again.

Originally Posted by reemz

Jimmy Fallon is trash, I legitimately feel awkward watching more than 15 seconds of it cause he bombs so hard.

I agree, not a fan of his show at all. Even The Roots playing the orchestra can't get me to watch it.

IMO --> Conan > Leno

As someone else stated it seem like Conan didn't have full control of the show and ideas. Show seemed way too watered down at the moment

Yep exactly Lil Stevie, Conan got the gig of a lifetime when he took over the Tonight Show and he wouldn't go back to 12:30, that's a huge insult.

I don't know what NBC expected at all with Conan at 11:30, he's far funnier than Jay, but his audience is much smaller. But they set up Conan tofail... it would have been an adjustment in the first place to replace Leno, but now Leno's on at 10pm and you give him an awful lead-in, not to mentionsteal viewers from his show.

Not that it's impressive to say, but I could easily run that network better from my living room.

conan will take over letterman's show when he hangs it up
nbc better not let conan leave

I've also noticed how Conan's show has changed and isn't as crazy as it use to be.

No more Joel jokes.
No more Abe Vagoda
No more Masturbating Bear

Back
Top Bottom