Cool @#$! Your Dad Did

At Disney World, we were on Roller Coaster, my hat flew off and he whipped his arm back and caught it 
eek.gif

To me, Superman gave up his identity at that moment.

Damn, it's kind of crazy seeing how many people's fathers weren't involved with their life.
ohwell.gif

I'm one of the lucky ones, my dad has been incredible.

In his youth growing up in Brooklyn worked for a messenger company. Met Wilt Chamberlain and Willis Reed at the empire state building. Ran into Muhammed Ali in the 60s and had like a 15 minute convo with him about avoiding Frazier's hook.
laugh.gif

Played pickup basketball at St. Johns with the King brothers (Albert and Bernard). Used to wreck shop as a 5'7 point. (They called him Lil' Kenny from way back)

As most men who were around in the 70s did, he studied Karate and got to be pretty high ranking.

Was always around for me growing up and supported me in everything I did (still does). Fantastic advice.
pimp.gif

When I graduated high school, took me (just us 2) to NYC for 2 weeks, and we did nothing but attend basketball games throughout the city. Went to Rucker multiple times, met Mousy the coach, went to West 4th (the cage) and even went to see the Baker League in Philly. Saw Future give Marc Jackson 35 at the Nike Pro-Am at Hunter College.

Finished his PhD in 4 years at UGA, and somehow was able to still spend time and play with me (I was like 4 or 5). I didn't even know he was in school.

Got me tickets (and took me) to a Huntsville Stars vs Birmingham Barons game when Michael Jordan was playing baseball. Got me underneath the stadium by the bus and I shook Mike's hand as he left the stadium.

When I was 13 or 14, we went to Hong Kong on vacation, I wanted a pair of Jordan XIIIs (playoffs). Couldn't find a pair in my size anywhere. I was distraught. While I was with my mother, he slipped away and went to a Nike vendor and was able to locate a pair. Held onto them for the entire trip, and when I was helping with the luggage in the airport during our return, Threw the bag with the silver box on top of one of the suitcases and told me to carry it to our gate. I flipped out. Still touches me to this day. He did/does so much stuff I don't expect or think I deserve.
pimp.gif

Damn, it's kind of crazy seeing how many people's fathers weren't involved with their life.
ohwell.gif

I'm one of the lucky ones, my dad has been incredible.

In his youth growing up in Brooklyn worked for a messenger company. Met Wilt Chamberlain and Willis Reed at the empire state building. Ran into Muhammed Ali in the 60s and had like a 15 minute convo with him about avoiding Frazier's hook.
laugh.gif

Played pickup basketball at St. Johns with the King brothers (Albert and Bernard). Used to wreck shop as a 5'7 point. (They called him Lil' Kenny from way back)

As most men who were around in the 70s did, he studied Karate and got to be pretty high ranking.

Was always around for me growing up and supported me in everything I did (still does). Fantastic advice.
pimp.gif

When I graduated high school, took me (just us 2) to NYC for 2 weeks, and we did nothing but attend basketball games throughout the city. Went to Rucker multiple times, met Mousy the coach, went to West 4th (the cage) and even went to see the Baker League in Philly. Saw Future give Marc Jackson 35 at the Nike Pro-Am at Hunter College.

Finished his PhD in 4 years at UGA, and somehow was able to still spend time and play with me (I was like 4 or 5). I didn't even know he was in school.

Got me tickets (and took me) to a Huntsville Stars vs Birmingham Barons game when Michael Jordan was playing baseball. Got me underneath the stadium by the bus and I shook Mike's hand as he left the stadium.

When I was 13 or 14, we went to Hong Kong on vacation, I wanted a pair of Jordan XIIIs (playoffs). Couldn't find a pair in my size anywhere. I was distraught. While I was with my mother, he slipped away and went to a Nike vendor and was able to locate a pair. Held onto them for the entire trip, and when I was helping with the luggage in the airport during our return, Threw the bag with the silver box on top of one of the suitcases and told me to carry it to our gate. I flipped out. Still touches me to this day. He did/does so much stuff I don't expect or think I deserve.
pimp.gif

my pops was already practicing for FAS a professional soccer team in El Salvador ready to go to the capitol and play pro
too bad the war started and was forced to come to the states..

my pops was already practicing for FAS a professional soccer team in El Salvador ready to go to the capitol and play pro
too bad the war started and was forced to come to the states..

My dad let me get out of school early so that he and I could drive down to Portland and watch Jordan play in his final game at the rose garden in 98'. We had a ridiculous amount of bulls gear too like starter jackets hats, shirts all that stuff (he is from the Southside Chicago). I think I was in 4th grade, we got lost after the game and couldn't find our van and I told him I thought I remembered where it was and he said "Go for it old man" and sure enough ten minutes later we arrive at the van and get back home at like 3am and I got to go to school super late that next day.

He has called me old man for as long as I can remember. It's definitely a different nickname for a kid but it always stuck.

I would play pick up games with him from the time I was 10 til he stopped playing (medical reasons) and any man that got out of line with me was quickly convinced to act right for fear that my dad might go upside there head.

I was always scared as hell of him when I was a kid cuz he was 6'5 260 and strong as hell.

Instead of +%% whoopins all the time he would make me do push ups as punishment too.

He was in the military for 16 years too which I always thought was very cool.

My dad let me get out of school early so that he and I could drive down to Portland and watch Jordan play in his final game at the rose garden in 98'. We had a ridiculous amount of bulls gear too like starter jackets hats, shirts all that stuff (he is from the Southside Chicago). I think I was in 4th grade, we got lost after the game and couldn't find our van and I told him I thought I remembered where it was and he said "Go for it old man" and sure enough ten minutes later we arrive at the van and get back home at like 3am and I got to go to school super late that next day.

He has called me old man for as long as I can remember. It's definitely a different nickname for a kid but it always stuck.

I would play pick up games with him from the time I was 10 til he stopped playing (medical reasons) and any man that got out of line with me was quickly convinced to act right for fear that my dad might go upside there head.

I was always scared as hell of him when I was a kid cuz he was 6'5 260 and strong as hell.

Instead of +%% whoopins all the time he would make me do push ups as punishment too.

He was in the military for 16 years too which I always thought was very cool.

Originally Posted by bkmac

The year was 1969, and my dad (15 at the time) cut school with a few friends of his to head to Shea Stadium to try and get a glimpse of Game 5 of the World Series. Somehow, he was able to sneak into Shea with his friends (someone opened up a back door for them), and they were able to watch the game, and the win. His friends and him actually ran onto the field after the game had ended in celebration, and that's how my grandma caught him (he was caught on television cameras) 
roll.gif

Crazy story 
pimp.gif

bkmac wrote:

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]T[/color][color= rgb(51, 51, 102)]e[/color][color= rgb(102, 102, 153)]a[/color][color= rgb(153, 153, 204)]m[/color][color= rgb(204, 204, 255)]Y[/color]a[color= rgb(204, 204, 255)]n[/color][color= rgb(153, 153, 204)]k[/color][color= rgb(102, 102, 153)]e[/color][color= rgb(51, 51, 102)]e[/color][color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]s[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

Originally Posted by bkmac

The year was 1969, and my dad (15 at the time) cut school with a few friends of his to head to Shea Stadium to try and get a glimpse of Game 5 of the World Series. Somehow, he was able to sneak into Shea with his friends (someone opened up a back door for them), and they were able to watch the game, and the win. His friends and him actually ran onto the field after the game had ended in celebration, and that's how my grandma caught him (he was caught on television cameras) 
roll.gif

Crazy story 
pimp.gif

bkmac wrote:

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]T[/color][color= rgb(51, 51, 102)]e[/color][color= rgb(102, 102, 153)]a[/color][color= rgb(153, 153, 204)]m[/color][color= rgb(204, 204, 255)]Y[/color]a[color= rgb(204, 204, 255)]n[/color][color= rgb(153, 153, 204)]k[/color][color= rgb(102, 102, 153)]e[/color][color= rgb(51, 51, 102)]e[/color][color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]s[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

[color= rgb(0, 0, 68)]
[/color]

Originally Posted by jhobson5

-My dad took me all around the world and the country for vacations and for me to see the world(he works for united airlines)
-Has bailed me out of numerous situations, and did it with a smile
-He was always my biggest cheerleader in school and sports all the way thru college
-He has a degree psychology for University of Toledo, and put him self through college while working at United the whole time.
-My dad was the original person who showed me how to party(I didnt know that crown royal and miller lite could be so good if consumed right)
-My dad and I have gone to many bars together since I was 18 and have done it up

-The biggest thing he has done has been my best friend throughout my life, but he really has been my support system since my mom died in November(His mom died in March of last year). He has a big heart and can handle more then the average man.

some heartfelt stuff right here.

Originally Posted by jhobson5

-My dad took me all around the world and the country for vacations and for me to see the world(he works for united airlines)
-Has bailed me out of numerous situations, and did it with a smile
-He was always my biggest cheerleader in school and sports all the way thru college
-He has a degree psychology for University of Toledo, and put him self through college while working at United the whole time.
-My dad was the original person who showed me how to party(I didnt know that crown royal and miller lite could be so good if consumed right)
-My dad and I have gone to many bars together since I was 18 and have done it up

-The biggest thing he has done has been my best friend throughout my life, but he really has been my support system since my mom died in November(His mom died in March of last year). He has a big heart and can handle more then the average man.

some heartfelt stuff right here.

- My pops helped my moms conceive me
- He robbed a total of 60 banks in 2 years from Cali to Louisiana without using a gun once (i wouldn't consider it cool, rather sickening cause the time he spent in jail could have saved his life had he not gone to jail)
- One thing i will say is cool that he did was manage to send me and my brother crazy gifts from jail like he bought me and my brother the playstation 2 when it first came out, and sent enough money on a sony gift card to get a playstation each, every game out at the time, an extra controller, and 2 memory cards a piece ( looking at a price range of about 3 g's) and when my moms spent the money before we even knew it was coming he sent another gift card with the same amount to my grandma and had her take us shopping to get it and told her to play it off that the gifts came from her if my mom asked.

- My pops helped my moms conceive me
- He robbed a total of 60 banks in 2 years from Cali to Louisiana without using a gun once (i wouldn't consider it cool, rather sickening cause the time he spent in jail could have saved his life had he not gone to jail)
- One thing i will say is cool that he did was manage to send me and my brother crazy gifts from jail like he bought me and my brother the playstation 2 when it first came out, and sent enough money on a sony gift card to get a playstation each, every game out at the time, an extra controller, and 2 memory cards a piece ( looking at a price range of about 3 g's) and when my moms spent the money before we even knew it was coming he sent another gift card with the same amount to my grandma and had her take us shopping to get it and told her to play it off that the gifts came from her if my mom asked.

My Dad was and is awesome.

He taught me so many lessons about life.
He's a Vietnam vet. Went into the service at 17 to to leave home. I said he would have definitely done it differently if he knew what he was getting into. That's my Dad though.
laugh.gif
Always taking risks and making big decisions.
He loved comics growing up. His dogs were named Thor and Odin
pimp.gif

He had a white man afro and loved bball.
His record collection is extensive and amazing.
He went to the Monterey Pop Festival to see Jimi Hendrix. He loves him.
He was a security guard for many bands in the mid 70s. He was built like Arnold in the 90s. I'll never be as big as this guy!
His best friend is world renowned martial artist Ernie Reyes.
He's owned every hot car you can think of. (Multiple Porsches)
He always went to my sporting events and made bdays special (Which was awesome because he was always working and always out of town. He always made it unlike Jack's dad in Hook)

Oh did I mention he looks like the dos equis man?

10fdcpd.jpg

laugh.gif
pimp.gif
(he looks like him even more now that he's older)

I could go on forever but long story short.. my dad is dope.

My Dad was and is awesome.

He taught me so many lessons about life.
He's a Vietnam vet. Went into the service at 17 to to leave home. I said he would have definitely done it differently if he knew what he was getting into. That's my Dad though.
laugh.gif
Always taking risks and making big decisions.
He loved comics growing up. His dogs were named Thor and Odin
pimp.gif

He had a white man afro and loved bball.
His record collection is extensive and amazing.
He went to the Monterey Pop Festival to see Jimi Hendrix. He loves him.
He was a security guard for many bands in the mid 70s. He was built like Arnold in the 90s. I'll never be as big as this guy!
His best friend is world renowned martial artist Ernie Reyes.
He's owned every hot car you can think of. (Multiple Porsches)
He always went to my sporting events and made bdays special (Which was awesome because he was always working and always out of town. He always made it unlike Jack's dad in Hook)

Oh did I mention he looks like the dos equis man?

10fdcpd.jpg

laugh.gif
pimp.gif
(he looks like him even more now that he's older)

I could go on forever but long story short.. my dad is dope.

My dad was a star soccer player for Peru back in the day
Best chef I ever met! (Peruvian food, Chinese food, Italian food etc.)

In 1993, we wanted a better life so we planned to move to the United States from Peru. But he moved there first to get settled. He went over there knowing NO english, with NO cash and NO family. Just a dream. And he made it happen. Worked 3 jobs and on most days only got 2 hours of rest. He then flew us out there 6 months later. Flash forward to 2011, he's now making 6 figures for us working overseas in the military. Hardest working man I know. Always thought positive and never complained.

My dad was a star soccer player for Peru back in the day
Best chef I ever met! (Peruvian food, Chinese food, Italian food etc.)

In 1993, we wanted a better life so we planned to move to the United States from Peru. But he moved there first to get settled. He went over there knowing NO english, with NO cash and NO family. Just a dream. And he made it happen. Worked 3 jobs and on most days only got 2 hours of rest. He then flew us out there 6 months later. Flash forward to 2011, he's now making 6 figures for us working overseas in the military. Hardest working man I know. Always thought positive and never complained.

Now this is a great thread. Props to all the fathers out there.

Aside from being a great dad, my pops did some crazy things in life. One of my favorites:

After finishing high school my dad and his friend got hired by a company to drive a car from Chicago to New Orleans, nothing illegal, just transporting the car to a dealership. They ran out of money on the way back but they ended up finding a small college football team. They talked to the coach, tried out, made the team, got fed, a place to stay, and some clothes. The next day they snuck out and did it again a few days later at another school. When my dad got tired of being on the road he asked his own father to wire him money to come home. And he did
pimp.gif

Now this is a great thread. Props to all the fathers out there.

Aside from being a great dad, my pops did some crazy things in life. One of my favorites:

After finishing high school my dad and his friend got hired by a company to drive a car from Chicago to New Orleans, nothing illegal, just transporting the car to a dealership. They ran out of money on the way back but they ended up finding a small college football team. They talked to the coach, tried out, made the team, got fed, a place to stay, and some clothes. The next day they snuck out and did it again a few days later at another school. When my dad got tired of being on the road he asked his own father to wire him money to come home. And he did
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom