CUSTOM SILVER ANNIVERSARY 11's

Originally Posted by southwesthouston

STHEBEST im about to do my anni xis and space jams. what would you recomend for a very light blue(kinda DS blue tint look) on the space jams ? half a table spoon of dye ? and more blue on the annis 11's then a full table spoon of rit dye ?

do the sides first and let dry for 5 min then do bottom soles ?

what type of brush u use ? or can you use latex gloves and do with your finger for the sides?
sorry I couldnt respond sooner. I would say a teaspoon of dye should suffice. Only do one coat, though.

yes i would let the sides dry first, then work on the soles. I used a regular paint brush with nylon bristles. remember, you want as less streakiness as possible. you can use your fingers, but using gloves would be best. Hope this helps!

im curious to see how would a slightly yellowed pair would look with the RIT Pear Gray dye....is possible they may get OG icy??? too scared to try
frown.gif

^^^ yo sthebest, I actually think they look better with the water then the seaglow. Using the water, it actually looks like a lighter blue.
Very good job!!!

just did my Doernbecher VI's. gave them a medium/dark blue. very happy with teh results.

will post pics when i get a chance!! stay tuned!

I did this to my sj09's and I really liked it at first but now I'm afraid that I ruined one of my favorite sneakers. I'm also afraid that someone is going to try to accuse me of rocking fakes since sj's don't normally have blue soles. it definitely looks pretty fresh but I'm having mixed emotions about it. I'll try to upload some pics later so y'all can see.

Pdigiti wrote:
^^^
Great execution up there STB!!!  Wish I hadn't passed on the Silver Anniv. XI's now..  Would've been great to rock a pair with the right colored soles.  

Man, I agree.

Because that sole wasn't of blue tint is one of the reasons why I passed on them.

After seeing all this I sure wish I had a pair now.

nice pics hotbutter
rico and pdigiti - you guys act like the anniv 11s cant be had for damn near retail. i see them sell for 180 - 200 these days.

Originally Posted by bigj505

nice pics hotbutter
rico and pdigiti - you guys act like the anniv 11s cant be had for damn near retail. i see them sell for 180 - 200 these days.
^^^
True Bigj505, but, after consideration, they're not worth the $180-$200 IMO..That's why I passed then and still now.  I'm sure JB will eventually re-retro the Columbias even though they'll probably be butchered to death like the SJ's and Silver anniversary's..

Rico, you know what's up!!!

P

alright, finally got the pics up. you guys need to help me on this. let me get some opinions and feedback from you guys. i was happy about it the first day but now im afraid i might have ruined the jams. heres some pics, granted they were taken with my phone, but still pretty decent.

what do you guys think, fail or win? i just dont want people thinking im rocking variant sj's because i couldnt get the real ones.. we all know that isnt true. lol.

Originally Posted by Pdigiti

Originally Posted by bigj505

nice pics hotbutter

^^^
True Bigj505, but, after consideration, they're not worth the $180-$200 IMO..That's why I passed then and still now.  I'm sure JB will eventually re-retro the Columbias even though they'll probably be butchered to death like the SJ's and Silver anniversary's..

Rico, you know what's up!!!

P

Thats just what I was going to say .....
grin.gif

Originally Posted by smzsmz

alright, finally got the pics up. you guys need to help me on this. let me get some opinions and feedback from you guys. i was happy about it the first day but now im afraid i might have ruined the jams. heres some pics, granted they were taken with my phone, but still pretty decent.

what do you guys think, fail or win? i just dont want people thinking im rocking variant sj's because i couldnt get the real ones.. we all know that isnt true. lol.
They look good to me. This is a nice idea, but I can't dare myself to do it because of this reason.

not absolute fail, not too bad, but i personally would have kept them og sole. a slightly lighter shade would have been nicer imo.

thanks guys. idk, i just started bugging. i like em because they look like they were DS and im wearing them for the first time. as far as a lighter shade, thats not impossible. from what i understand they can be sea-glowed back down. im pretty sure the same company who makes RIT dye also produces a solvent as well. something that removes the dye.

still need more opinions though. i like em and i have another pair ds on ice but id rather keep them on ice for a long time.

edit- btw, this is a fairly hard project to do. you have to get the right shade of blue in the cup first (water/dye ratio) and then find out how long to keep the dye on the sole in order for it to be a certain shade. then you have to decide whether or not to give an extra coat or not. if so, how many. you have to be very careful not to dye your midsole blue in the process and constantly wipe it down with cloths and q-tips. this is such a new idea that no one knows the exact formula to get the results that people want to see.

edit 2- http://www.amazon.com/Rit...or-Remover/dp/B0012DNCXG

Originally Posted by sthebest

Originally Posted by BigEli500

HOLY MOTHER OF JESUS! how in the BLUE hell did that guy to that to his shoes!? That looks amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzing. Please, tutorial for all of us. Also, how long does this last? Does it fade?
Thanks guys. It's funny how people said I originally ruined my Concords when I first posted pics in the restoration thread with my crappy old camera
grin.gif
 Anywho, no the dye doesnt fade. Trust me, I put it to the test by scrubbing the hell out of the soles on the Concords multiple times with a SOS pad and even using straight bleach the excess dye. It's permanent if done right.

This is what you want to do
1.) Mix a small 1/2 cup of 2/3 sea glow and 1/3 powder dye.
2.) Mix it together really well. The dye should dissolve into the sea glow (I usually make mines a little lumpy to get a deeper tint)
3.) Take a paint brush and carefully paint the soles. If it bleeds onto the midsole, then quickly wipe it away with a wet rag that has soap on it)
4.) Let sit for 5-10 minutes
5.) Whatever is not dissolved into the soles, just wipe away.

voila! blue tinted soles. I will be making a video tutorial sometime soon. no more yellowing
pimp.gif
 I wore my Concords several times and theyve held up perfect. Ive also worn my anniversary XIs 1 time and they havent turned the slightest bit yellow. In fact, the sole is comparable to my Bred XIs

Is there any way you can fix a sole that is already yellowed by doing this?

Originally Posted by YoUNg bR3aD

Originally Posted by sthebest

Originally Posted by BigEli500

HOLY MOTHER OF JESUS! how in the BLUE hell did that guy to that to his shoes!? That looks amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzing. Please, tutorial for all of us. Also, how long does this last? Does it fade?
Thanks guys. It's funny how people said I originally ruined my Concords when I first posted pics in the restoration thread with my crappy old camera
grin.gif
 Anywho, no the dye doesnt fade. Trust me, I put it to the test by scrubbing the hell out of the soles on the Concords multiple times with a SOS pad and even using straight bleach the excess dye. It's permanent if done right.

This is what you want to do
1.) Mix a small 1/2 cup of 2/3 sea glow and 1/3 powder dye.
2.) Mix it together really well. The dye should dissolve into the sea glow (I usually make mines a little lumpy to get a deeper tint)
3.) Take a paint brush and carefully paint the soles. If it bleeds onto the midsole, then quickly wipe it away with a wet rag that has soap on it)
4.) Let sit for 5-10 minutes
5.) Whatever is not dissolved into the soles, just wipe away.

voila! blue tinted soles. I will be making a video tutorial sometime soon. no more yellowing
pimp.gif
 I wore my Concords several times and theyve held up perfect. Ive also worn my anniversary XIs 1 time and they havent turned the slightest bit yellow. In fact, the sole is comparable to my Bred XIs

Is there any way you can fix a sole that is already yellowed by doing this?

seaglow first, then do the dye process.

Originally Posted by smzsmz

thanks guys. idk, i just started bugging. i like em because they look like they were DS and im wearing them for the first time. as far as a lighter shade, thats not impossible. from what i understand they can be sea-glowed back down. im pretty sure the same company who makes RIT dye also produces a solvent as well. something that removes the dye.

still need more opinions though. i like em and i have another pair ds on ice but id rather keep them on ice for a long time.

edit- btw, this is a fairly hard project to do. you have to get the right shade of blue in the cup first (water/dye ratio) and then find out how long to keep the dye on the sole in order for it to be a certain shade. then you have to decide whether or not to give an extra coat or not. if so, how many. you have to be very careful not to dye your midsole blue in the process and constantly wipe it down with cloths and q-tips. this is such a new idea that no one knows the exact formula to get the results that people want to see.

edit 2- http://www.amazon.com/Rit...or-Remover/dp/B0012DNCXG
how much dye did you use?  about to start up on my jams, anniversarys, and some other clear soled shoes.  don't want them "too blue".  let me know your mix, I will tone it down, and document step by step to post with results (pics)

^^ thanks for the compliments guys. but like "smzsmz", my process was more trial and error than an exact science. i would def. have been more careful if i had been dying some Spacejams, as i would have been aiming for a "DS" looking, light blue tint. but since i wanted a deep blue shade on my D.B's, and b/c the midsole on the d.b's were not so susceptible to absorbing the blue dye as the white midsole on the S.J's, it allowed me to not be so 'exact', and careful during the painting.

if i were to approximate, i started by mixing 2-3 ounces of seaglow (much more than i actually needed), and mixed with 1/6-1/8 of the RIT royal blue dye.
-painted my soles, left on and wiped off excess dye after 2 minutes. soles turned from very slight yellow to verry light shade of blue tint.
-b/c i wanted a darker tint, i continued to add additional dye to the original solution until it turned very dark blue. i'd say in the end 1/4-1/3 of the packet was in with about 3 oz of seaglow.
-repainted the sole, left dye on for about 10 minutes and washed off. final result is what you see at top of page.

hope that helps. as some1 stated earlier, since this concept is entirely brand new and still in its infant stages, the only way to conclude with a defined procedure is for more ppl to carry out the process, or better yet, for someone to create another detailed video tutorial documenting exact measures of amounts of dye/seaglow or water ratio. \

GLuck

Back
Top Bottom