da "Sneaker bubble" apparently is bursting...

CNNMoney Sport
Air ball! Nobody's buying expensive sneakers
by Paul R. La Monica @lamonicabuzzAugust 18, 2017: 11:11 AM ET

How Adidas plans to win the footwear race

FL), which sells shoes from all three of the kings of kicks, reported disastrous results on Friday morning. Earnings and sales badly missed Wall Street's forecasts.

"Sales of some recent top styles fell well short of our expectations," Foot Locker CEO Richard Johnson said in the earnings announcement. He said the trend should persist for the rest of the year and that same-store sales will be down for the year as a result.

The big footwear companies and stores that sell their sneakers have historically relied on star athletes, particularly NBA legends like Jordan and James, to get customers to spend hundreds of dollars on a pair of shoes.

But those customers apparently are no longer as interested in being like Mike. During a conference call with analysts, Foot Locker's Johnson said sales of some Jordan footwear and clothing "slowed considerably" in the quarter.

That's clearly a problem because Jordan is still the most famous star Nike has. James wasn't mentioned once on the Foot Locker conference call, but there were 14 mentions of Jordan's line of sneakers and apparel.

Foot Locker's stock plunged more than 25% on the news. Nike (NKE), the worst performing Dow stock last year, tumbled 5% Friday and is now lagging the market this year as well.

Another sporting goods store, Hibbett (HIBB), also issued a weak outlook Friday. Its stock fell more than 15%.

CEO Jeff Rosenthal blamed a "challenging retail environment" and said that the industry was cutting prices and offering big sales to get customers in the door.

Amazon (AMZN, Tech30) could become a bigger problem as well as it steps up its efforts to sell sneakers online. It already owns the popular retailer Zappos.

On the Foot Locker earnings call, said he did not see Amazon as an imminent threat because Amazon was mainly selling lower-priced sneakers.

Rosenthal said he didn't think Amazon would hurt Hibbett either for pretty much the same reason.

But investors clearly disagree -- and that makes sense. After all, Foot Locker and Hibbett are having problems because people apparently are more interested in cheaper sneakers than ones endorsed by hoops stars that cost more than $100 a pair.

The bad news from Foot Locker and Hibbett comes just a few days after sporting goods giant ****'s (DKS) reported poor earnings. Shares of ****'s fell on Friday. So did the stocks of Under Armour (UA) and Adidas (ADDDF) and the smaller sporting goods chain Big 5 (BGFV).

Related: Why Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank had to ditch Trump

Under Armour has had a miserable go of it. The stock has plunged 40% this year. That follows a similar drop in 2016.

The company recently announced layoffs and weak guidance as sales of shoes endorsed by Golden State Warriors star Curry have been underwhelming.

Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank also faced criticism from Curry because he was participating in President Trump's manufacturing council. Plank left it on Monday in the wake of Trump's response to the violence in Charlottesville, Virginia. The council later disbanded.

But even as Under Armour and Nike continue to struggle, Adidas is thriving and taking market share. Despite the stock's slide Friday, shares of Adidas are still up nearly 40% this year.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/18/investing/sneakers-foot-locker-nike-under-armour/index.html

if 3m XIII's are that easy to cop tomorrow.... think its gonna be slow mo till at least Christmas.

Been on the anti-Jordan/Nike wave for about 7 years now. For me it had more to do than the price....I couldn't get down with:

-Waiting/Camping out. I think it's borderline ******ed
-Ridiculous how often certain models get re-retro'ed every other year
-Hyped up releases
-Everyone and they're little brother is wearing em'
-Limited opportunities to even use the $250 pair of athletic shoes I just bought
-I always view'ed collecting basketball shoes as a childish unnecessary guilty pleasure so automatically I assume most broads that are making moves in life felt the same

Nike as a company should have known better than anyone else that just like all trends, they come and go. They still caking tho' so no big deal

Well I don't know if it's cause they're too expensive or they're just ugly. Vapormaxes are doing well I think

Been on the anti-Jordan/Nike wave for about 7 years now. For me it had more to do than the price....I couldn't get down with:

-Waiting/Camping out. I think it's borderline ******ed
-Ridiculous how often certain models get re-retro'ed every other year
-Hyped up releases
-Everyone and they're little brother is wearing em'
-Limited opportunities to even use the $250 pair of athletic shoes I just bought
-I always view'ed collecting basketball shoes as a childish unnecessary guilty pleasure so automatically I assume most broads that are making moves in life felt the same

Nike as a company should have known better than anyone else that just like all trends, they come and go. They still caking tho' so no big deal

1. Why wouldn't you want to have certain models be available in just a couple of years

2. Why does it matter if everyone is wearing them? It matters how you wear them, not how many people wear them

3. They are older people who still wear basketball shoes, how is something childish when you see older people wearing the 40-50+

Shoes like Foamposite reselling for $400 + & Bron SB 8's going for $850 + was odd times
The same thing is happening now with releases like NMDS, Ultra boost, yeezys, tom sachs, psny, clots etc. All of this will be odd later on as well.

Ebbs and flows. What you think the market gonna look like when Michael Jordan passes away? We haven't seen nothing yet.

The competition between adidas and Nike sure keeps things interesting.
Im always curious to see what they keep coming up with....even if I'm not purchasing lol

1. Because when Nike says "Limited Quantities" then mass produces them and retro's the same pair again next year....I the consumer feel like I've been lied to. Thats more then enough for me to go check what Asics or Adidas has going on.

2.. If your cool with blending in with everyone then fine, do you. I dont limit myself to one athletic shoe brand. That's crazy

3. I said the act of collecting shoes always made me feel a bit childish, not wearing them.

My buddy Revok summed up my exact feelings about shoes in this video, only he's talking about graff....

Last edited:
Can't remember the last time i paid for expensive sneakers
Maybe some adidas boost fir working out and that was marked down

Thank goodness i dont own footlocker stocks lol

I'm not into shoes that much anymore but when I copped the Pure Money 4s in the middle of summer for half off I knew something was up

Very interesting. Jordan was synonymous with top of the line sneakers for decades, but son hasn't played in an NBA game in over 14 years. No other star is coming close to Jordan's legacy and apparently all the creative talent has left the company. The writing is on the wall, and I for one am glad. Let someone else get some shine. Adidas is killing the game right now. It seems like people are kinda getting tired of the same Jordans year after year; they're losing their mystique. Lebrons joints can't hold a candle to the hype of mj's kicks, and he's the closest in the athletic apparel game.

Under Armour just doesn't have "it" imo. They come off as cheap and plasticky. They have one of the biggest stars and I still can't shake that vibe.

I used to be a jordan fiend k in high school and college. I've had about half of the collection, most recent pair being the xx's on 05 (great hooping shoe). I almost copped the xxx's on clearance in May but they were a half size too big.

Maybe people are coming to their senses and realize that they're only shoes and spending triple digits is preposterous.... Nah, we're not there yet.

I think people have realized that if you wait, you’ll get those $190 GR J’s on sale. There are far too many sneakers to choose from week to week to be shelling out that much for a re-re-re-retro made of cheap, ****ty materials.

And this applies to all expensive sneakers. Even boost joints are sitting longer now, and those were THE wave for a long minute.

I paid about 155 for my ultraboosts and they are worth every penny. I'm not crazy about the way they look, but they are undoubtedly the most comfortable shoe that I've ever put on my foot.

Back
Top Bottom