Dad pulls son out of high school to focus on gaming career

And why are we assuming the same isn't being encouraged by this young dude?

I'm not assuming anything, just adding to the conversation in response to the similarities of an office job.

I'd assume there's no way he's sitting 10hrs STRAIGHT with no breaks in between matches. If he's expecting to make 100k in gaming he understands that he's going to need to take breaks to ensure he's alert during gameplay

They’re well off already so who cares? Dude was going to blow money on college just to do this either way.

yeah there are content providers, gamers, etc.
its way different now.
some start off as gamers and become content providers and work for companies some of us would have dreamed of back in the day.
some have put in work since then and nobody knows about them now. its kind of amazing and sad at the same time.
def a lot of what ifs.

technology and interest are two things that can't be predicted to an extent.

And why are we assuming the same isn't being encouraged by this young dude?

Not specifically @ you but the article even says he has a sit/stand desk

Even office sitting employees are encouraged to break up their sitting down with walking around or standing up throughout the day

Sitting in my office rn, not gonna work. Only people with sit/stand desks are mid-management.

We've got one of those giant water purifiers and I drink water like a fiend. Usually get up every hour for a bathroom break, not sure if its very impactful tho

Yeah, my sister has a desk job sitting all day in front of a computer screen. She has carpal tunnel on wrists, terrible eyesight and is overweight despite working out and eating reasonably. The overweight part might be genetic but still, all that sitting doesn’t help.

Calories in vs calories out fam

If she was doing all of that you could reasonably assume the calories shes burning daily would exceed the calories she's putting in.

There's a disconnect somewhere

They're getting paid, he has a career making more than most people with Bachelor's and Master's degrees. I don't see a problem with it, especially when the worst that is said about it is he'll develop bad social skills or it's unhealthy to sit for that length of time. Good for them :pimp::pimp:

Son said the table gotta be the right height so his wrist move a certain way... Lol
I wanted to bring this up. When one travels to tournaments, you aren't traveling with your own gear, right? He's setting his son up for failure. Then again, Other than sponsorships, how are these esport guys getting paid? Nothing wrong with sitting at home making bank with a $20,000 custom setup.

Is their longevity in getting paid though? If dude flames out in a year, what's next? Make it while the getting is good. But I don't see any of this as a career, unless you win the whole thing.

Then you practice one game for years, only for another to come out. Never ending cycle.

I wanted to bring this up. When one travels to tournaments, you aren't traveling with your own gear, right? He's setting his son up for failure. Then again, Other than sponsorships, how are these esport guys getting paid? Nothing wrong with sitting at home making bank with a $20,000 custom setup.

Is their longevity in getting paid though? If dude flames out in a year, what's next? Make it while the getting is good. But I don't see any of this as a career, unless you win the whole thing.

Then you practice one game for years, only for another to come out. Never ending cycle.
There are set standards these guys fix all their stuff to. Like if you know the nba uses their game balls you run out and buy that to practice with, not bring your own

Games before lasted years but now these games are updated almost monthly because it needs to to stay relevant. They basically need to play 16 hours a day every day :lol:

Asking how they’re making money is like asking how any athlete makes money. They’re getting paid by their organization that they play for. Generally they’re under contract like any other professional athlete.

Depending on your skill level the contracts are pretty ludicrous. The AVERAGE league of legends pro makes 300k a year. Most Overwatch pros are making over 125k and have contract incentives. Since it’s team based they also are given free housing, a stipend, and have personal trainers, chefs, and mental health professionals all at their disposal for free.

They’re also making bank off their own personal Twitch stream, public appearances and of course sponsorships. Not to mention prize pools when they win a competition or place in the top 5.

Not specifically @ you but the article even says he has a sit/stand desk

Sitting in my office rn, not gonna work. Only people with sit/stand desks are mid-management.

We've got one of those giant water purifiers and I drink water like a fiend. Usually get up every hour for a bathroom break, not sure if its very impactful tho

Calories in vs calories out fam

If she was doing all of that you could reasonably assume the calories shes burning daily would exceed the calories she's putting in.

There's a disconnect somewhere

I have a sit/stand desk and I still have to walk around and go to the bathroom to stretch like 5-10x per day. Humans definitely weren't built for this sh*t :smh:

they're mostly getting paid with sponsorships from their teams and some also create content via streaming.
I can't speak for fps though so i'll have to keep it general.

there can be longevity but it depends on how skilled the player is and how much they're willing to put into learning.
in the fighting game world you have to learn stuff like spacing, footsies, positive/negative on block, hit boxes, etc. which can get complicated. you have to learn matchups...
mixups, resets, etc. and some of that knowledge can be transferred to different games. maybe fps games are the same.

I would argue, at least in the fighting game world, most ppl good at one game play others they are equally good at. he probably plays more than fortnite and even if he doesn't i'm sure he's aware that anything can change with a sequel, update, new game ppl gravitate towards, etc.

Dudes really put in long hours daily 7 days a week. If they lose that’s money gone and time spent. With little to no security they’re taking a huge risk. A bad year and it’s over

Dudes really put in long hours daily 7 days a week. If they lose that’s money gone and time spent. With little to no security they’re taking a huge risk. A bad year and it’s over
that's true...that's why it pays to be a content creator. not only do sponsors see your personality but your viewers help create and maintain your buzz.
its a win win for a gamer that would be playing anyway. might as well show off/inform/both on camera and sell your brand.

some sponsors won't even holla at you if your personality doesn't "fit" and if you don't already have a brand via having a buzz/online presence.

i would think that any possible health risks from sitting down for extended periods are minimal compared to the dangers of football or some other organized sports.

i would think that any possible health risks from sitting down for extended periods are minimal compared to the dangers of football or some other organized sports.
Semi serious, mentally I’d keep tabs on dudes like this. Kids like him tend to become “dangerous” in today’s america

that's true...that's why it pays to be a content creator. not only do sponsors see your personality but your viewers help create and maintain your buzz.
its a win win for a gamer that would be playing anyway. might as well show off/inform/both on camera and sell your brand.

some sponsors won't even holla at you if your personality doesn't "fit" and if you don't already have a brand via having a buzz/online presence.
Yeah, you now get paid (kinda) to practice if you stream it. All in all it’s not easy at all. This kid has got a huge safety net still living at home.

Before reading I thought pops had lil dude drop out in the hopes of eventually making some money. But since hes already established why not milk it for all you can.

Gamers are the new-age rappers. Have you guys seen how the Faze guys live? Giant mansion in Hollywood driving supercars dating Instagram models lol.

Back
Top Bottom