Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
Shocked as hell that get out came from one of those dudes..

Keanu, that I could see

K & P felt super duper safe.. show was incredibly hit or miss for me

Comparing them to chapelle is kinda like comparing boondocks to that bastard season when mcgruder wasn't there

Last edited:
Shocked as hell that get out came from one of those dudes..

Keanu, that I could see

K & P felt super duper safe.. show was incredibly hit or miss for me

Comparing them to chapelle is kinda like comparing boondocks to that bastard season when mcgruder wasn't there

Very well said. My sentiments exactly.

two good specials, a little un even/sloppy, not up to the quality of his earlier specials.

i don't remember killing them softly or for what it's worth having straight up clunky jokes that don't work.

its like cheeseburgers always existed

but you the first one to put bacon on it

next thing dudes are putting bacon on em and getting credit for what you started at that same restaurant

next thing dudes are putting bacon on em and getting credit for what you started at that same restaurant
But the difference is that you closed your bacon burger shop because you couldn't handle it and they opened theirs and flourished using your format. You can only blame yourself

its more like you aint own the burger shop, but you came in and improved their shop

then they tell you come to work in a dress, you refuse, so they take what you improved on and hand it off to the next man

i can see where dave coming from esp because he prolly had to do a lot of fighting to get done what he wanted to get done

and to see the same things you had to fight for just handed over and credited to other ppl

like if theres no dave and his success do key and peele even get a shot?

i mean madtv was funny but

[thread="660237"] [/thread]
its more like you aint own the burger shop, but you came in and improved their shop

then they tell you come to work in a dress, you refuse, so they take what you improved on and hand it off to the next man

i can see where dave coming from esp because he prolly had to do a lot of fighting to get done what he wanted to get done

and to see the same things you had to fight for just handed over and credited to other ppl

like if theres no dave and his success do key and peele even get a shot?

i mean madtv was funny but
Comedy central didn't force Dave to do anything like that. He didn't quit because of their interference

But the difference is that you closed your bacon burger shop because you couldn't handle it and they opened theirs and flourished using your format. You can only blame yourself

Just a burger shop bruh. All these burgers aint got bacon on em.

This exchange 
laugh.gif

Ya'll talking were dead serious too 
roll.gif

Nah my burger shop statement was a joke. Can't just be throwin bacon on burgers automatically. 

speaking of chapelle leaving his show.. don't know how many of you have caught this, but chapelle has said it couple times in interviews.. that he decided to leave the show when he came to the realization that he was being laughed AT rather than a fair amount of the audience laughing WITH the situations he was ridiculing in society

far too many in society never actually got the things he was making fun of (and probably never wanted to, because then they would have to take a deep look at themselves).. and unfortunately for that facet of society, all he did was feed that monster.. who used his show as a medium to theoretically throw their feet up on the table in a house they shouldn't even be in.. and if they are welcome in they should be careful how quickly they wear out their welcome

with k & p, in my opinion, they seemed very comfortable being laughed AT using certain material

Last edited:
I think that was our first understanding of why he left. Also, I thought he left because they decided to air the season 3 material which Ashy Larry and Charlie Murphy debuted. I thought that was the last straw.

Last edited:
i dont understand whats so funny about the analogy or what "you cant automatically put bacon" in terms of the analogy

Last edited:
@tay1  I think it was a gradual thing..

cause from his first standup special and half baked, that element was never really there.. I mean I'm sure folks would go up to him and say dumb stuff, but it was never making a mockery of some serious serious issues that exist (basically the 'chip' race em joke.. and pothead jokes.. I guess the Jamaican stuff at end would be the worst of it)

but I'm sure it would have been a startling realization when you got folks running up to him constantly repeating certain stuff with zero regard (like: "should have never gave you n's money")

that's just a heavy weight to bare when you're trying to address some issues in society in a smart manner.. but really you're just contributing to the problem in a sense because it's being made even more of a mockery

obviously the intent was for the work to be funny.. but the wrong aspect of the work was being found funny.. instead of the light being shone upon what it was intended to be shone upon.. it was being corrupted just like any number of things

take for example the uncle ruckus character in boondocks, instead of certain people realizing the point that character was being used to make.. obviously there are those who only saw him in a certain light and proceeded to use him as such when they decided to bastardize the show in that last season.. hell could go for all the man characters

Yeah he mentioned people came with the disrepect in his second standup on how people came up to him at Disneyland like I'm Rick James ***** and all that. **** was hilarious how he did it, but could easily see  how it'll be annoying. I haven't watched them in a while, but I never got the sense that he tried to giver a deeper meaning through some of his sketches. Maybe becuase I was young when watching and didn't look for it, but I never saw anything other than hilarious sketches in most of them. I may have to watch them again because I'm most likely wrong. I can say for K & P that through many of their sketches, they intentionally tried to tell the listeners something.

Last edited:
speaking of chapelle leaving his show.. don't know how many of you have caught this, but chapelle has said it couple times in interviews.. that he decided to leave the show when he came to the realization that he was being laughed AT rather than a fair amount of the audience laughing WITH the situations he was ridiculing in society

far too many in society never actually got the things he was making fun of (and probably never wanted to, because then they would have to take a deep look at themselves).. and unfortunately for that facet of society, all he did was feed that monster.. who used his show as a medium to theoretically throw their feet up on the table in a house they shouldn't even be in.. and if they are welcome in they should be careful how quickly they wear out their welcome

with k & p, in my opinion, they seemed very comfortable being laughed AT using certain material
But the thing is, I don't think his style of comedy changed though. It's not as if he reinvented himself and came back a different comedian

While I think that was part of the cause I really think it was more of the pressure that he didn't want any part of. When you sign that 50 million contract, expectations go way up and you better be hilarious. I don't think any comedian really wants that kind of pressure on them. Starting a new show and kinda having fun with it all goes away when the expectations are that much higher. You can't have a not so funny episode and your gonna get more and more notoriety. He seems like more of a secluded guy You see where he's living now.

I think that's where him and a Kevin hart differ. Not saying Kevin is funnier, but he wants that spotlight and attention way more than Dave and he seems more comfortable with it. I can't imagine Dave Chappell hosting an all star weekend or being at the kids choice awards

Last edited:
^ I'm not saying his style changed.. but I did think he came to certain realizations about his audience and the world at large

obviously I don't know the man personally.. but just going off of what I've heard and seen from him on certain subject matters  

I think he thought he would be able to address certain things and certain folks would realize certain things about themselves and if they fit within a certain group well they were really the butt of the joke

don't think he realized how big the show would have gotten.. and you have some who never will be that introspective to see that they are the ones really being made fun of

they simply just used his show as a mechanism to further abuse a bad situation.. i think that's the combo that drove him crazy

That chick at the LA show in the front row was fine as hell. She looked pinay [emoji]128520[/emoji]

Last edited:
I wanna know where he goes from here. I know he has another special, but dude is too talented to be delivering out stand up specials every so often.

I mean getting paid 60 million for three shows, i think he'll be happy doing that for awhile lol

Back
Top Bottom