Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
Who claimed they were a monolith?

from what I observed when this original argument broke out would wield the opinion of
*insert trans activist* to support their claims.

imo the inherit assumption in that style of argument
is that there is a settled authoritative trans opinion on Dave Chappelle, speech, harm and the societal impact of offensive comedy

from what I observed when this original argument broke out would wield the opinion of
*insert trans activist* to support their claims.

imo the inherit assumption in that style of argument
is that there is a settled authoritative trans opinion on Dave Chappelle, speech, harm and the societal impact of offensive comedy
So make another negative assumption about random people on the internet that upset you

Aight man :rolleyes

So make another negative assumption about random people on the internet that upset you?

Aight man :rolleyes

if the question is what is the is Dave Chappelle's comedy harmful to society?
and the response well xyz trans person say it's harmful.

the obvious implication is that xyz trans person represents broader trans opinion.

if by making another negative assumption you mean = reading english
then yes that's what I'm doing.

if the question is what is the is Dave Chappelle's comedy harmful to society?
and the response well xyz trans person say it's harmful.

the obvious implication is that xyz trans person represents broader trans opinion.

if by making another negative assumption you mean = reading english
than yes that's what I'm doing.
Then you are guilty of doing that every time to make a take about black people, Canadians, Nigerians, etc.

Because you don't always put a disclaimer on it that "I don't speak for all insert group' " .

Tons of people do it this in discussions and arguments. There is a natural implication that someone is not claiming to speak for each and every person of said group. Just describe an opinion that is prevalent/popular among a group.

So spare me with the "reading English" **** Osh. This is just you taking issue with the slightest of things

Again

Then you are guilty of doing that every time to make a take about black people, Canadians, Nigerians, etc.

Because you don't always put a disclaimer on it that "I don't speak for all insert group' " .

Tons of people do it this in discussions and arguments. There is a natural implication that someone is not claiming to speak for each and every person of said group. Just describe an opinion that is prevalent/popular among a group.

So spare me with the "reading English" **** Osh. This is just you taking issue with the slightest of things

Again

I've never used my identity as a nigerian canadian as trump card to validate an argument
or shield it from scrutiny.

obviously people make generalizations about groups.
but when you questions these generalizations imo it often gets framed as transphobia.
and that implies that whatever activist is invoked is the authoritative voice on trans opinion.

that's the style of argument I was mocking in my original post.

This was from 2019

giphy.gif

Dave should have just made them put his name on it, saying it is being named that just seems it is because you don't want the smoke from the students but are still salty at your critics.

Which seems kinda silly. But Dave is a really sensitive dude, not matter how much he denies it

Lol the smoke

Dave would destroy these "I've learned everything there is to know about the world locked in my house for the past two years" woke students

Dave has lived these kids lives three times over

Lol the smoke

Dave would destroy these "I've learned everything about the world locked in my house for the past two years" woke students

Dave has lived these kids lives three times over
Last time he talked to them he lost his cool because the students were criticizing him.

He said in his speech that the reason he didn't put his name on the building was that he didn't want his name being up there being a reason kids feel bad

He also complain that the kids were somehow being duped.

You can do you usual schtick of whining about "woke" people, but just looking at Dave's own actions and words it is kinda obvious he doesn't like the fact some of the students are angry at him.

Dave wants the kids to like him, he is mad at his critics for turning some of them against him

He and his fans can't use the usual criticism of people against these kids, so he says they have been tricked

Like I said before, Dave is a sensitive ole head.

Last time he talked to them he lost his cool because the students were criticizing him.

He said in his speech that the reason he didn't put his name on the building was that he didn't want his name being up there being a reason kids feel bad

He also complain that the kids were somehow being duped.

You can do you usual schtick of whining about "woke" people, but just looking at Dave's own actions and words it is kinda obvious he doesn't like the fact some of the students are angry at him.

Ah yes, "angry"

The last news I read about him speaking at the school, it was a handful of students upset with a larger amount clapping for him

Of course he didn't like it

I wouldn't like it either if morons were associating me with drafting anti trans laws, advocating for unequal treatment of trans...killing trans people in Brazil... Etc etc

Dave isn't tied to any of that but yet he's committing "violence"

Dude could have just done it and not say shh

This thing with those students happened almost 7 months ago at this point

I wouldn't like it either if morons were associating me with drafting anti trans laws, advocating for unequal treatment of trans...killing trans people in Brazil... Etc etc

Dave isn't tied to any of that
When the people who do all those things you listed above use Dave's words to justify their right to restrict trans people's lives, the responsible thing is to reevaluate what he's putting out there.

Dave could do that when it came to race (are they laughing with me or at me?), but not when it comes to LGBT issues. That's the main criticism here.

When the people who do all those things you listed above use Dave's words to justify their right to restrict trans people's lives, the responsible thing is to reevaluate what he's putting out there.
Dave's words;

"trans women are women"
Anti trans laws are "evil"
"My trans friend killed herself due to harrassment and it was tragic"

This is what every anti trans bigot is using to justify their their actions? Wut? :lol:

Dave Chappelle is probably more progressive than the average Americans on this subject.

At minimum he is well within the mainstream.
But the media has created this fantasy that he's like this anti trans nazi

It's absurd, and I think actually generates the anti trans backlash Dave is accused of generating.

Many in elite media have totally overreched on this subject
and are playing major part in foamenting this backlash and empowering bad actors.

What a stupid thing to drag this long, especially when you don't really have a personal stake beyond "I do what I want" like a petulant child. Ego is a ************.

What a stupid thing to drag this long, especially when you don't really have a personal stake beyond "I do what I want" like a petulant child. Ego is a mother****er.
If one day people start claiming without evidence, that your art is leading directly to the murder /genocide of a vulnerable population

you will have the grace and lack of "ego" to simply just let it go.
personally, and maybe I'm weird, but I would find that incredibly difficult to do.

Back
Top Bottom