Dave Chappelle Netflix Specials

Which Special Did You Like The Most?

• The Age of Spin

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Deep in the Heart of Texas

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
:lol:

Yea, I would go back and rewatch it if I were you because he never said, "The lady simply said that he's allowed to use the n word bc he's black."

He left the joke open which was part of the punchline.
I got the punchline but it just didn't make sense to me. She told him he couldn't use f***** because it's a derogatory term for gay people, and he's not gay. The punchline was "well I'm not a n***** so why am I allowed to say that" and he acted like it was some sort of "gotcha" moment, when the reality is her answer would just be the same: we're not gonna stop you from using n***** since you're black and n***** is a derogatory term for blacks. Seems like if a gay dude was writing a comedy and he used f***** then the network wouldn't have a problem in the same way Chappelle Show was full of n-bombs. I love Dave's comedy because he tells it like it is, but that punchline made no ****ing sense.

I got the punchline but it just didn't make sense to me. She told him he couldn't use f***** because it's a derogatory term for gay people, and he's not gay. The punchline was "well I'm not a n***** so why am I allowed to say that" and he acted like it was some sort of "gotcha" moment, when the reality is her answer would just be the same: we're not gonna stop you from using n***** since you're black and n***** is a derogatory term for blacks. Seems like if a gay dude was writing a comedy and he used f***** then the network wouldn't have a problem in the same way Chappelle Show was full of n-bombs. I love Dave's comedy because he tells it like it is, but that punchline made no ****ing sense.
There’s a difference between “n with an ER” and “n with an a” at the end.

you literally just said why it makes sense.

She insinuated that if he was gay, he could say F.

He can say the N word, but his point was that, he isnt a N either.........(So why can he say it, unless she insinuating that he is also a N)

You might have to drop your last name Bruce. :smh:

You say you don't get IT but you explained the joke. :lol:

???

Black people can say both, unless I didn't get the memo with my black card.
:lol: He was referring to -ER though.

you literally just said why it makes sense.

She insinuated that if he was gay, he could say F.

He can say the N word, but his point was that, he isnt a N either.........(So why can he say it, unless she insinuating that he is also a N)
Honestly, I guess it comes down to how intelligent you assumed that chick was.

My take on it was this:
Her insinuation was that gay people could say F because that's a derogatory term that's used to discriminate against gay people.
Therefore, it makes sense that black people could say N because that's a derogatory term that's used to discriminate against black people.
That makes sense to me - it's how I explain to white people why I can say n***** and they can't, and I frankly thought that perspective was common knowledge.

Seems like Dave and other people took her statement to be - "gays are ******s and so they can say ******" - at which point Dave's like, "I'm not a ****** so why should I be able to say that?" I'd be absolutely shocked if someone in charges of standards and practices would be that ****ing stupid - but who knows.

You're looking way too deep into this :lol:

It was an extremely surface level joke and you're doing gymnastics to find the hole in it.

Honestly, I guess it comes down to how intelligent you assumed that chick was.

My take on it was this:
Her insinuation was that gay people could say F because that's a derogatory term that's used to discriminate against gay people.
That not what he quoted her saying though. She only said to Dave, "you can't say that because you're not gay".
She didn't say it shouldn't be said because it was offensive to gay people. That was the opening for the joke.

That not what he quoted her saying though. She only said to Dave, "you can't say that because you're not gay".
She didn't say it shouldn't be said because it was offensive to gay people. That was the opening for the joke.
In the same way that (most) people agree you can't say n***** if you're not black. It's not deep on either side, pretty basic (and valid) equivalency. The punchline was stupid - glad y'all enjoyed that joke though.

100% this. It's like people just want Dave to have caught her. Her rationale is that if you're apart of said group then you have the liberty to use the derogatory term.

i honestly thought he was gonna say "did you just assume my preference" or some **** :lol:

they don't bleep it when white people say it either though, most just aren't bold enough lol

i honestly thought he was gonna say "did you just assume my preference" or some **** :lol:

they don't bleep it when white people say it either though, most just aren't bold enough lol

Yo I actually thought he was gonna spin the same way - on some, "excuse me *****, did you just assume my sexuality? I happen to be gender-fluiddd (said in sarcastic Chappelle voice, followed by a laugh and hitting his knee with the mic)"

I'm not gonna tell my favorite comedian of all time how to tell his jokes, but that felt like a missed opportunity :lol:

Yo I actually thought he was gonna spin the same way - on some, "excuse me *****, did you just assume my sexuality? I happen to be gender-fluiddd (said in sarcastic Chappelle voice, followed by a laugh and hitting his knee with the mic)"

I'm not gonna tell my favorite comedian of all time how to tell his jokes, but that felt like a missed opportunity :lol:

This is why the special felt off to me. He seemed like he was almost trying to get cancelled bc he knows the culture wouldn't let that happen...instead of just doing what he's always done. Some of those takes didn't even seem like they were genuinely his, he just tired of all the timeline SJW energy and wanted to kill it and I can't blame him :lol:

lol at not getting the joke but getting the joke

lol at him trying to get cancelled

lol some of those takes don’t feel like they were his

I liked the special don't get me wrong but he definitely was trying too hard with some of this ****.

Like he did it specifically to get the groups he's joking about mad so that everyone else can tell them to shut the **** up because it's Dave :lol:

I was waiting on that too as soon as he paused would've been hilarious imo

Dave always pushes the boundaries whether surface or a little deeper, I feel he did a good job on this one especially given the climate

This is the dude who walked away from 50 million, really ain’t no cancellation to happen after that ... he simply don’t give a F (when it comes to being popular or cancelled)

I think Dave has reached that milestone where he's basically an event. Anything he does is an automatic event that makes headlines. He's a living legend. But what Dave has said in these Netflix specials isn't much different than what was on Chappelle Show. The only difference is that the audience has a bigger platform to complain. But it's the job of the comedian imo to push back and push against those boundaries because that's what comics like Carlin, Pryor or Lenny Bruce did. But the roles are reversed now. Where once censorship came from the government, Christian groups, now it's coming from the crowd. Dave is not a conservative hero, he's a classic liberal. Newer liberals, what they want is something safer and cleaner. But that's not what comedy is all about. Comedy is supposed to make you uncomfortable at times. It should make you laugh at yourself at times.

punchline was well executed.

Wasn’t feeling the whole molestation segment b/c I can’t find any humor in that ever, tbh. Seen way too many people I know have their lives negatively affected by that to have it be something that people laugh at.

Other than that, Dave was Dave. The guy is just great at what he does and nobody comes close to his style and delivery.

Back
Top Bottom